Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258482 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#186261 Nov 20, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
Buck, these Topix atheists are of the opinion that the size of ego trumps the quality of one. Essentially a puffed up one versus a lean and mean one is what they think wins the battles. So they get on here.
More empty verbiage. What you are saying is meaningless in the sense that it has no demonstrable referent and can thus neither be verified nor disconfirmed. From http://www.mel-thompson.co.uk/lecture%20notes... :

Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889-1951) suggested that philosophical problems would be solved if the language people used was more precise, and limited to statements for which there could be evidence.“Whatever cannot be shown to correspond to some observable reality, cannot be meaningfully spoken about.”

Your derogatory comments like those above generally fall into this category. They're just insults without substance.

Catcher1

Since: Sep 10

Redondo Beach, CA

#186262 Nov 20, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Only in your dreams.
The day I dream about you, RR, it's time to....I don't know, maybe go live with Dave Nelson or something, hahaha.

Fennario

#186263 Nov 20, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
Wrong. Jan Baptist van Helmont, an early Flemish chemist, physiologist, and physician, did scientific experiments which concluded that spontaneous generation occured.
You should know better than this by now. I don't accept your unsupported claims. The little bit I found on this subject doesn't support your claim that what he did was science.

Fennario

#186264 Nov 20, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
7. When asked by the Sanhedrin if he was Messiah, what was Jesus' reply?
This question wouldn’t even come up if you have been a law enforcement officer familiar with interrogations. Here we have Jesus with multiple interrogators. Questioning him in hopes he will admit he’s the Messiah.
You are going to bring out the differences in Matthew and Mark & Luke’s account. Keep in mind in that time in history there were no court reporters. Typically when there is an interrogation by multiple interrogators. The accused will answer the same question over and over made by different interrogators. This is not inconceivable or odd that Jesus answered the same question differently.
Matthew 26:63-64
King James Version (KJV)
64 Jesus saith unto him, Thou hast said:
Mark 14:62
King James Version (KJV)
62 And Jesus said, I am:
Luke 22:70
Amplified Bible (AMP)
70 And He said to them,[a]It is just as you say; I Am.
In the future Doctor, please don't give me so much homework at one time because we all do have time constraints.
Your answer is correct, although I don't think that the gospel writers were interrogating Jesus.

[7] What was Jesus reply when the Sanhedrin asked if he was Messiah?

According to Mark (14:62), when asked if he was the messiah, Jesus to the Sanhedrin "I am." According to Matthew (26:64), it was, "You have said so." And according to Luke (22:67-8), it was "If I tell you, you will not believe."

You did better than the previous Christian that tried, who got none right. I think you got two of them right. Do you agree with that score?

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#186265 Nov 20, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
My point to Dogpile stands - Dawkins does not define "atheism" as simply a lack of belief. The cited conversation is proof positive. Also, the idea of being "sure" was Dawkins' choice of words, not mine. Perhaps your comments should be addressed to him, which, by the way, cuts against your admiration for his astuteness.
Further, belief in deity, as it relates to the terms "atheism" and "agnosticism" is not limited to the Abrahamic god.
On your assertion of "no evidence", you are either ignorant or lying.
If I am ignorant and/or lying, Buck, then what did I lie about. There has never been a single shred of evidence that would prove the existence of any gods. That is a truth, so how can it be a lie.

Fennario

#186266 Nov 20, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
I suspect you resent me for that, but I can't be sure.
Why would I resent you?

Location hidden

#186267 Nov 20, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Interesting theory, but not new.
Hitler was an enthusiast for your preferred theory.
Mengele even did scientific studies for you.
I was not suggesting that a whole group of people, due to their religious background, or their mental disabilities might not be as evolved, but rather the certain persons that I was referring to (but I have now forgotten my original point) might not be as evolved. Hitler and Mengele advocated using or misusing these people for evil reasons. I would not support the thinking of either of them.

“ad victoriam”

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#186268 Nov 20, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know.
Let's find one so we can ask him.
It's a her..

Location hidden

#186269 Nov 20, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Nobody believes in created gods.
So I'm not sure who you are talking to.
We know that all of the gods of past civilizations were creations of their imagination, and have discarded those gods, Buck. All the evidence we have about the belief in the Abrahamic God suggests it was 100% created by man's imagination also. There is nothing in the stories that suggest anything but myth and legend.

“ad victoriam”

arte et marte

#186270 Nov 20, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
When they get caught.
Sometimes.
Climate science just hides the data, and hopes nobody knew about it.
Kinda' like the Vatican covering up pedophilia.
Can't trust the High Priests of either religion.

Or like...... your every post!\\\

Your song...

You cannot escape it.

Catcher1

Since: Sep 10

Redondo Beach, CA

#186271 Nov 20, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would I resent you?
Because I live in the U.S., basking in our nation's exceptionalism, while you're riding a burro in a Mexican hovel, on the run from the medical boards, the IRS, and the Justice Department.

“ad victoriam”

arte et marte

#186272 Nov 20, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
You Beantown boys are really hard-up for entertainment.
I'd rather put a tomcat in a suitcase and leave it on the railroad tracks near the projects, then hide and watch somebody open it.
Yep.

“ad victoriam”

arte et marte

#186273 Nov 20, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you better bring a bat.

I can drag you down to my level. Never think you can't join me in death.

I've everything to make you be it.

“ad victoriam”

arte et marte

#186274 Nov 20, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I have to produce strawmen to eat your red herrings.
Can you pronounce extreme bull squat and eat a bullet?

Since: Sep 08

Rocky Ford, CO

#186275 Nov 20, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
More empty verbiage. What you are saying is meaningless in the sense that it has no demonstrable referent and can thus neither be verified nor disconfirmed. From http://www.mel-thompson.co.uk/lecture%20notes... :
Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889-1951) suggested that philosophical problems would be solved if the language people used was more precise, and limited to statements for which there could be evidence.“Whatever cannot be shown to correspond to some observable reality, cannot be meaningfully spoken about.”
Your derogatory comments like those above generally fall into this category. They're just insults without substance.
You can worship Wittgenstein if you wish. I do not.

I am not going to dig back and repost that comment I made several times before about your intelligence and intellect being derived from what someone else wrote in a book.

But I guess you can do only what you are capable of.

Words can not be precise. Look at the varying definitions of atheist.
davy

Albuquerque, NM

#186276 Nov 20, 2013
Is English not your first language?
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Dave,
Do you know wagt this is ---------> ?
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#186277 Nov 20, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Says the liar with no proof of god.
I've been waiting for you to prove there's no God.

Having a little trouble are you?
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#186278 Nov 20, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Because I live in the U.S., basking in our nation's exceptionalism, while you're riding a burro in a Mexican hovel, on the run from the medical boards, the IRS, and the Justice Department.
Hmmmmm, our neighbor Mexico has been historically a place for those running away from something.

What surprises me is how you cut down one of your own. Have you no loyalty?

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#186279 Nov 20, 2013
Thinking wrote:
The mythical jew/christian/muslim god makes faulty creations and then tortures them for being faulty. The poor saps that believe in god just lap it up.
<quoted text>
Poor saps indeed. It's really sad.
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#186280 Nov 20, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I've been waiting for you to prove there's no God.
Having a little trouble are you?
Here let me help in proving there is no God. Every Child that dies from cancer is proof that your God is non-existent. It's also evidence that prayers are NEVER answered. Next!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 5 min Unmeltable Snowflake 1,657,356
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 16 min cpeter1313 322,095
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 35 min Into The Night 11,899
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 13 hr Chosen Traveler 35,087
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Nov 26 Okboy 201,885
How to Recover Deleted or lost Contacts from Sa... (Dec '14) Sep '17 Alice Meng 13
Conn's Appliances (Nov '07) Sep '17 Love 292
More from around the web