Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 256013 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#186135 Nov 20, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>You'd be picking you're teeth off the ground, that is if you inbreeder's have any left. New invention out called "tooth paste" Try it if it's not already too late. Ever had your arm pulled out of the socket? Just wondering!!!
I don't believe you can whip me, Sir.

If you could, you would be in an elite group of men.

In fact, if you bring to the fight one of the Red Sox bats,
I am of the opinion that I could still whip your ass.

And not likely suffer a bruise.

Whattaya think about that?

Since: Sep 10

Fremont, CA

#186136 Nov 20, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I expect Brits to have ugly teeth and small penises.
And here I thought you were heterosexual.

Go somewhere else then.

Since: Sep 10

Fremont, CA

#186137 Nov 20, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't favor abortion?
I don't know anybody who "favors" abortion.

Location hidden

#186138 Nov 20, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
I owned one - a red Ford Ranger - but didn't drive it except once - the day I recovered it from a motel parking lot where my dishonest business partner in a durable medical equipment business parked it. Driving it wasn't as much fun as driving my Miata.
Those Mazdas are made in Hiroshima out of nuclear-irradiated tin roofs.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#186139 Nov 20, 2013
http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T...
Thinking wrote:
redneck doesn't even know what omnipotent means. To him, archiving must seem like witchcraft.
LOL. "Burn her!"

Did you like those insults? I think nano does. She seems to try to wheedle new ones out of me with aggressive and provocative posting, though she seems disappointed when I reuse one. Once I told her that it made her look like the Joker when she applied make-up with a putty knife. I also once depicted her bringing truckers back to her trailer to see her macerated kitteh marinating in her own water in a Depends, then chasing after them across the desert with it around her ankles as they tried to flee her trailer.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#186141 Nov 20, 2013
<quoted text>
Good answer.
What difference would a contradiction make to a faith based thinker?
It depends on where the contradiction comes from, honestly.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#186142 Nov 20, 2013
<quoted text>
Nope.
No scientific experiment concluded that. That was what was commonly believed on faith until science debunked it with experiment.
"When it comes to religion, we’re not two sides of the same coin and you don’t get to put your un-reason up on the same shelf with my reason. Your stuff has to go over there, on the shelf with Zeus, Thor and The Kraken - with the stuff that is not evidence-based" - Bill Maher
Nevertheless, it was thought as scientific fact using the science if the time.

Aristotle "discovered" spontaneous generation and it was taught as a fact for almost 2,000 years.

I only wonder what "facts" they are teaching us now that's not really facts.....

Fennario

#186143 Nov 20, 2013
Bongo wrote:
bwhahahaha, this is furfuraceous
Thanks. Nano inspires my best insult humor.

By the way, you've become quite the logophile inthe last year or two, especially of sesqupedalian words. I hope that I have contributed to that.

No hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliop hobiac you.

How about another word list?

For those unfamiliar, one of the byproducts of my archiving habit is lists of related words, all of which are more easily learned and understood when considering themas a collective. I have quite a few of them (@ Buck - please note the correct spelling of impugn, a word you used correctly recently, but misspelled twice):

[1] Animadversion - an unfavorable or censorious comment, or the act of criticizing.
[2] Aspersion - a damaging or derogatory remark, or the act of slandering.
[3] Calumny - false and malicious statement designed to injure a reputation
[4] Castigate - criticize or punish someone severely.
[5] Censure - strong or vehement expression of disapproval
[6] Contemn - treat or regard with contempt.
[7] Contumely - insolent or insulting language or treatment.
[8] Defamation - unjustified injury of the reputation of another, as by slander or libel; calumny
[9] Derogate – disparage, belittle
[10] Deprecate – express disapproval; belittle
[11] Disparage – disesteem; represent as worthless
[12] Ignominy - disgrace; dishonor; public contempt, shameful or dishonorable quality or
[13] Impugn - question the truthfulness or validity of a statement.
[14] Invective - vehement denunciation, vituperation, an insulting or abusive word or expression
[15] Obloquy - censure, blame, or abusive language, especially by numerous persons, the bad repute resulting from it
[|6] Opprobrium – harsh criticism or censure, or the disgrace resulting from a shameful act.
[17] Oppugn - oppose with argument; criticize adversely; call in question
[18] Pejorative – disparaging or belittling.
[19] Reproach - find fault with; blame; censure, upbraid.
[20] Reprove - reprimand or censure someone.
[21] Upbraid - condemn or criticize severely.
[22] Vilipend - Regard as worthless or of little value; despise. Speak slightingly or abusively of; vilify
[22] Vituperation - verbal abuse or castigation; violent denunciation or condemnation.

Anybody interested in expanding their vocabulary is invited to copy and save this list. If there is any such interest, I can provide several more.

Location hidden

#186144 Nov 20, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>All structures ARE unstable and the instability seems to be in direct proportions to how stupid one is. From a pro contract (yeah right) to a forklift at $6.00 an hour is very high on the idiot meter, good going!!
Don't worry about the distraction, she never missed a beat!!!!
How high on the idiot list is a state which re-elects 10 times a man who drives his secretary off a bridge and leaves her to drown in 3 and a half feet of water?

Actually, she did not drown. She suffocated.

She managed to find air near the roof of the interior compartment, and lived for quite some time, until the air ran out.

If help had been summoned, well,...you know.

Teddy reported her whereabouts some time the next day.

Would you call the voting citizens of your state "idiots"?

I did many things while abusing drugs and alcohol.

But I never did that. I never would.

People in my state would never re-elect someone who did that.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#186145 Nov 20, 2013
<quoted text>
Do you think we have to search far or use obscure translations to find contradictions and other errors in the Christian bible?[2] Is man saved by faith or works?
[6] Does God grow tired or weary?

I believe in only one God. I believe Jesus was God manifested in the flesh. But Jesus while on the earth had a body of flesh and blood. His body did get tired and weary as all of us humans do. But the spirit of God that dwelled in that temple never gets tired or weary.

Now if this question is referring to after the six days of creation and God rested. God is a spirit and never gets tired. I have went to GodandScience.com to get the answer in order to save me some time.

It seems like a fair question, "Why would an omnipotent God need to rest after creating the universe?" Elsewhere, the Bible says that our Creator God does not get weary or tired.1 It turns out that the question is the direct result of a bad rendering of the Hebrew by the King James translation:

And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.(Genesis 2:3)
The original language

The Hebrew word, shabath, translated "rest" does not really refer to a requirement to sleep or take a break due to weariness. In the vast majority of verses the NASB translates the word as some form of stopping or ceasing. In only 7 out of 68 instances is the word translated "rest" or "rested." (see also the Brown-Driver-Briggs' Hebrew Definitions2)
NASB
H7673a. shabath,[991d]; a prim. root; to cease, desist, rest:-- brought to an end (1), cease (21), ceased (7), ceases (3), did away (2), disappear (1), do away (1), eliminate (3), gone (1), hear no more (1), lacking (1), left without (1), made an end (1), make an end (1), observe (2), put a stop (3), put an end (3), puts an end (1), remove (2), removed (1), rest (4), rested (3), silence (1), stop (2), stopped (1).

Other Bible translations render the Hebrew correctly:
Young's Literal Translation - And God blesseth the seventh day, and sanctifieth it, for in it He hath ceased from all His work which God had prepared for making.
God's Word - Then God blessed the seventh day and set it apart as holy, because on that day he stopped all his work of creation.
Good News Bible - He blessed the seventh day and set it apart as a special day, because by that day he had completed his creation and stopped working.
Other verses in the Old Testament separate shabath from the usual Hebrew words used to denote rest. For example, Exodus 23:12 uses the word shabath as ceasing or stopping from labor, but uses the Hebrew word nuach and naphash to indicate resting.
"

Since: Sep 08

Rocky Ford, CO

#186146 Nov 20, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Buck, these Topix atheists are of the opinion that the size of ego trumps the quality of one. Essentially a puffed up one versus a lean and mean one is what they think wins the battles. So they get on here.

I read once where the chief of rat control in Paris said a 1 pound cornered rat will kick a 200 pound man's ass.

Your a big boy. Fearless.

What would it take for you to feel compelled to square off with a 30 pound bobcat?

Why do these characters think they can whip the creative force of the universe when they have no real experience whipping anything in this life?

Fennario

#186147 Nov 20, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
.. why is RR's first statement incorrect ??
He said that there are no mistakes in the bible.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#186148 Nov 20, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
Never said I couldn't drive a truck, I said I had no use for one, and I never said I felt superior to you, you said that.
I didn't say that, I asked it.
Do you feel inferior?
No.
You have brought this up a number of times, so maybe thats how you feel.
So?

You bring up God all the time, maybe you believe in God.
My lifestyle is more elegant, that yours, more refined,
That is your fancy pants opinion.
Yes, your God does in fact murder people and seems especially fond of murdering little babies. have you ever actually read your holy book? Your God, according to the bible, is responsible for the murder of over one million humans. I'll supply a partial list for you if you like. Just let me know!!!
Murder:

Murder is the unlawful killing, with malice aforethought, of another human, and generally this premeditated state of mind distinguishes murder from other forms of unlawful homicide.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder

Tell me, how does God commit murder?
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#186149 Nov 20, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Harrison's cave is cool. So is the gorgeous east coast, from Crane's beach to the north.
I'm with you on most of this, but I have a muscle car.
have you ventured up the coats to Maine? Ogunquit is really beautiful, the Marginal Way, is spectacular especially after a storm. Great Clam Chawda at Barnicle Billy's.

Since: Sep 08

Rocky Ford, CO

#186150 Nov 20, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Those Mazdas are made in Hiroshima out of nuclear-irradiated tin roofs.
Every bit of exposed steel worldwide has been irradiated since WWII. I think the ships sunk at Jutland is the world's largest collection of unradiated steel.

Should play hell with radioactive dating.

Fennario

#186151 Nov 20, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
"Science wants to know the mechanism of the universe, religion the meaning. The two cannot be separated. Many scientists feel there is no place in research for discussion of anything that sounds mystical. But it is unreasonable to think we already know enough about the natural world to be confident about the totality of forces".
-- Charles Townes, Nobel physics laureate
Religion is barking up the wrong tree. It's methods are faulty, and as a result, it is sterile. Secular philosophy, grounded in reason rather than guesses and wishes, offers more here.
Buck Crick wrote:
"It is the sense of mystery that, in my opinion, drives the true scientist; the same blind force, blindly seeing, deafly hearing, unconsciously remembering, that drives the larva into the butterfly. If the scientist has not experienced, at least a few times in his life, this cold shudder down his spine, this confrontation with an immense invisible face whose breath moves him to tears, he is not a scientist".-- Erwin Chargaff, biologist
I can accept most of this, at least in spirit. I think he exaggerates, but I grant him poetic license.

Of course, this does not require religion or faith. The spiritual experience is meaningful without giving it a face and a name.
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#186152 Nov 20, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I expect Brits to have ugly teeth and small penises.
Oh look, yet ANOTHER penis reference, you're up to 4 now. I think we may have the answer as to why you never lasted as a football player, LOL

Location hidden

#186153 Nov 20, 2013
<quoted text>
Nope.
No scientific experiment concluded that. That was what was commonly believed on faith until science debunked it with experiment.
"When it comes to religion, we’re not two sides of the same coin and you don’t get to put your un-reason up on the same shelf with my reason. Your stuff has to go over there, on the shelf with Zeus, Thor and The Kraken - with the stuff that is not evidence-based" - Bill Maher
Wrong.

Jan Baptist van Helmont, an early Flemish chemist, physiologist, and physician, did scientific experiments which concluded that spontaneous generation occured.
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#186154 Nov 20, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, the "knowledge available at that time" said insects were borne of rotting meat.
But that was never knowledge, it was never true.
But it was taught as truth.
Go figure.
Don't blindly follow everything you read in a science book, it may not be true either.
Leave some raw meat out in the sun for a few days and watch the maggots turn into insects, Fly's.
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#186155 Nov 20, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I wouldn't need a bat. What do ya think about that?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 3 min cpeter1313 311,493
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 9 min Gunner 1,404,722
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 7 hr IB DaMann 9,991
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Mon NotInPotatoQuality 201,878
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) Jul 23 Trojan 32,307
legitimate loan lender (Oct '13) Jul 21 Ceren 7
What Ever Happen To Niagara Basketball (May '15) Jul 17 Disappointed PE 3
More from around the web