Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#185964 Nov 19, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>I never have. Never owned a pickup truck, especially one with a gun rack, and always avoided Church parking lots, way to close to a church.
Always slept on fine Egyptian cotton sheets with a high thread count. Even have them on the boat.
Are you serious?

You've never owned a pick up ?!?

You've never lived, you poor sheltered boy...

Location hidden

#185966 Nov 19, 2013
davy wrote:
What makes christians so sleazy?
<quoted text>
It's our perfectness.

You'll see...

Location hidden

#185967 Nov 19, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Opps, no mistakes you say.
Gen 32:30 states,“…for I have seen God face to face, and my life is preserved.” However, John 1:18 states,“No man hath seen God at any time…” Both statements cannot be true. Either there is an error of fact, or an error of translation. In either case, there is an error. And if there is an error, then infallibility of the Bible (in this case the King James Version) is falsified
Oh no!

AN ATHEIST CONTRADICTION!!

I'm quivering in my lil boots over here...

Location hidden

#185968 Nov 19, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
No mistakes...REALLY??
Yes, really.

Deal with it.

You don't believe in the good book anyway, what do you care?

Location hidden

#185969 Nov 19, 2013
[QUOTE who="davy] How many of your neighbors have you killed for working on the sabbath.
[/QUOTE]

Dave,

Do you know wagt this is ---------> ?

Location hidden

#185970 Nov 19, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
Science KNOWS the origins of the Earth,
Science once "knew" that insects were born of rotting flesh.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#185975 Nov 20, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
I'm a long ways from the cities in CO. Nothing happens out here. I'll die choking to death. Nothing spectacular. I have nothing to look back at, IANS.
Sorry.
Dave Nelson wrote:
You are the one with hopes, dreams, and aspirations.
So you have both nothing to look back at and nothing to look forward to? Are you sure? You seem to be looking forward to some kind of harm coming to me. You think and write about it a lot.
Dave Nelson wrote:
Good luck with your plans for after your demise.
Thanks. It's really quite a simple plan, though.

Good luck to you before your demise. Maybe you'll find something that gives your remaining years more purpose.
Thinking

Windsor, UK

#185976 Nov 20, 2013
To a simpleton like you, a yoghurt could be god.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm still stuck on your follow up question and seeking clarification.
"Thinking wrote:
My follow up question to redneck is this: can we take down his not actually all powerful god like Will Smith and Jeff Goldblum did in Independence Day?"
O_o
What god in Independence Day?

Fennario

#185977 Nov 20, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
[1] How do you know that he didn't control every word? Because of all of the mistakes?
[2] What makes you think any of it was written by your god?
[3] How do you decide which parts to trust and which to disregard?
[4] Why would a god not write his crucial message to man himself? How hard could that be? Wasn't the message important enough to ensure that his message would be received accurately? Couldn't he foresee that that would cause people to doubt that he wrote any of it?
RiversideRedneck wrote:
1. There are no mistakes, so the premise of your question is flawed.
2. I believe it, and it's the only book to have endured as long as it has and adopted so many followers.
3. I don't disregard any parts of it, so again the premise of your question is flawed.
4. Because He trusts man. He knows that humans can understand human concepts. Perhaps Hid concepts are for too difficult for us to understand so it needed to be 'dumbed down' for human literacy.
This is faith speaking.

Did you ever read about Morton's Demon? I linked you to it twice. He's the fictional device imagined to guard the entrance to your mind and control what gets into it. Your first three comments are demonstrably incorrect, but there is no realistic hope of disabusing you of them.
Thinking

Windsor, UK

#185978 Nov 20, 2013
Have you peer reviewed sources to back up that claim?
If you don't, it wasn't science.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Science once "knew" that insects were born of rotting flesh.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#185979 Nov 20, 2013
Keepitreal1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't believe we are faulty but obviously your god does. What does that say about your almighty creator and his creations? You still provide no evidence of god's existence. Admit it you have none.
"We"?

Speak for yourself. I have faults.

I congratulate you on your good fortune.
Thinking

Windsor, UK

#185980 Nov 20, 2013
The mythical jew/christian/muslim god makes faulty creations and then tortures them for being faulty. The poor saps that believe in god just lap it up.
Keepitreal1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't believe we are faulty but obviously your god does. What does that say about your almighty creator and his creations? You still provide no evidence of god's existence. Admit it you have none.

Location hidden

#185981 Nov 20, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Science KNOWS the origins of the Earth, I'm surprised you don't, well not really. Science also has a pretty good hypothesis on the origins of man, and for the origins of the universe. Notice I left out SOULS. All of the others I mentioned can be observed and tested so therefore are REAL. Your soul thing is just something imagined, like any supernatural bullshit.
Yes, yes, you have hundreds of books and personal testimony's for your soul thing. You seem to think that because there is so much written about souls and because many people support such a thing that makes it real. There are thousands of books on astrology, levitation, spirit realm, physic powers, alien abductions, and to date, none of them can be proven scientifically. I guess we can add your soul thingy to this long list of bullshit
The origin of the universe is observed?

I didn't know that.

All those weird things science observed and tested...

Did they only begin to exist once science observed them?

Or did, say, movement of electrons, exist before science observed it?

It's funny how your science speaks things into existence,

Almost like a god to you.

Location hidden

#185982 Nov 20, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Genesis refers to the moon as a light.......
To us, the moon does give light upon the Earth. The fact that it does so by reflection rather than emission is not relevant to the biblical passage. The Hebrew word used for emit/give light in this verse ('owr) can mean both “to be or become light” and “to be illuminated or become lighted up”(Strong’s 0215). http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/2010...
Sun was created "in the beginning". The Bible says, "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth." The Hebrew construction "heavens and the earth" refer to the entire created universe. The light of the Sun first fell on the surface of the earth on the first "day," since the Bible describes day and night on the first "day" (Genesis 1:2-3).20 In contrast, the plants were not created until the third "day."2
http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/2010...
Atheists use more literal Biblical meaning than Bible-believers.

That's funny.

Fennario

#185983 Nov 20, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
"The perfect cannot create imperfection" atheist argument. It's pointless and it's meaningless chatter.
Not outside of the bubble of faith.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Also the "deities cannot be both perfect and imperfect" atheist argument. Until you've proven that God fits that conundrum, all you have is your opinion.
I cannot prove anything to you. I've just demonstrated that with a few proofs your full rebuttal of which was, "That's your opinion."

You cannot make a man understand anything without his cooperation - without his willingness to be convinced by a compelling argument - especially that which he has a stake in not understanding.

Fennario

#185984 Nov 20, 2013
I never let bad things happen that I can prevent.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Never. Never? Every time you've seen a person, animal or anything in need you come to aid? You've never driven by a stranded motorist? Never seen an animal carcass on the side of the road and just driven by? Never seen a family struggling for groceries and offered them some if your vast resources? You've helped every old lady cross the street as you've seen them? Every time you see a sick tree, you call an arborist and foot the bill to fix that tree?
I was referring to the kind of serious harm that we had been discussing. You were saying that your god was good and I was saying that if he exists, he allows horrible things happen to people that he is ostensibly able to prevent. You then said that I let bad things happen to people, but was still a good person, and I disagreed.

You are now somehow equating my willingness ignore stranded motorists and trees with that god's willingness to ignore the horrible pain and suffering to make the argument that your god is good.

As I said earlier, this is quite disheartening to somebody like me, a secular humanist. We have different values. We don't call such behavior good. Nor love. And I consider the source of such teaching - the Christin church - to be a destructive one. It's why I don't merely avoid it myself, but why I want to see it diminished.

You have no sense for how it has damaged you, but this post and the last one show the effect that faith has had on your reasoning and ethical faculties. That's good for the church, but not for you or the rest of us.

Fennario

#185985 Nov 20, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Oh...
My...
Godliness....
It is so sad that you actually have those links.
I just want you to know that.
And why is that? I am fairly competent at retrieving information. Those were obtained using Google searches to support my claim. I do that several times a day.

You're probably implying that there is something wrong with me because I also store information, and you are assuming that I have done that in this case. I do that,too, but that is not the kind of thing I would file away about nano because I couldn't have anticipated needing to prove that she was from Sherman, TX or used the phrase "kitteh."

She and I are longstanding adversaries, and I have saved two sets of data on her that have both come in handy many times. One is a list of links to her drunken, slutty posting, which comes in handy whenever she gets judgmental of the habits of others. I won't share those with you now, because I only use them to check her bad behavior.

The other is the list of insults that I have created for her over the years, both because I think that they are pretty funny, and I reuse them from time to time.

You might call that obsessive behavior, as many theists have done before. But that's an unfair and inaccurate characterization born of the disapproval I accrue with my antiecclesiatical posting. People liketo take cheap shots at me.

Nano and I have a rich history on Topix, and I have archived it. It's really a very simple thing to do, takes almost no time, and as I said, is useful from time to time. In fact, you and others might enjoy a few now:

[1] IANS: Sheila is my favorite abortion survivor. The fetus didn't make it, but clearly, the afterbirth did.

[2] wilderide: Really? You [nano] speak for all of America? IANS, is there a pill for this?

IANS: A pill for nano? I'd inject penicillin.

[3] IANS: Slow night? Careful, though. Your muffin is generating flurries of lice, yeast and dandruff that are accumulating into drifts on your shoe tops.

[4] IANS: It always seemed to me to be unfair that some people had multiple personalities, when there are so many people who didn't get even the one.

[5] IANS: You weren't a kid. You were larva.

[6] IANS: There go my erections for a month. Somebody get me some bleach.

[7] IANS: You also start rubbing your hind legs together and buzzing.

[8] IANS: Pull down your skirt. Your prostate is showing.

[9] nanoanomaly: I've done the math

IANS: Here's a sugar cube. You can quit stomping now.

[10] nanoanomaly: I wondered how long it would take you to get your nerve up to try and pacify me.

IANS:[Fires tranquilizer dart into gunt]

[11] nanoanomaly: I'm not clicking on that.

IANS: What are you afraid of? You're more likely to give the link a virus.
Thinking

Windsor, UK

#185986 Nov 20, 2013
redneck doesn't even know what omnipotent means.
To him, archiving must seem like witchcraft.
<quoted text>
And why is that? I am fairly competent at retrieving information. Those were obtained using Google searches to support my claim. I do that several times a day.
You're probably implying that there is something wrong with me because I also store information, and you are assuming that I have done that in this case. I do that,too, but that is not the kind of thing I would file away about nano because I couldn't have anticipated needing to prove that she was from Sherman, TX or used the phrase "kitteh."
She and I are longstanding adversaries, and I have saved two sets of data on her that have both come in handy many times. One is a list of links to her drunken, slutty posting, which comes in handy whenever she gets judgmental of the habits of others. I won't share those with you now, because I only use them to check her bad behavior.
The other is the list of insults that I have created for her over the years, both because I think that they are pretty funny, and I reuse them from time to time.
You might call that obsessive behavior, as many theists have done before. But that's an unfair and inaccurate characterization born of the disapproval I accrue with my antiecclesiatical posting. People liketo take cheap shots at me.
Nano and I have a rich history on Topix, and I have archived it. It's really a very simple thing to do, takes almost no time, and as I said, is useful from time to time. In fact, you and others might enjoy a few now:
[1] IANS: Sheila is my favorite abortion survivor. The fetus didn't make it, but clearly, the afterbirth did.
[2] wilderide: Really? You [nano] speak for all of America? IANS, is there a pill for this?
IANS: A pill for nano? I'd inject penicillin.
[3] IANS: Slow night? Careful, though. Your muffin is generating flurries of lice, yeast and dandruff that are accumulating into drifts on your shoe tops.
[4] IANS: It always seemed to me to be unfair that some people had multiple personalities, when there are so many people who didn't get even the one.
[5] IANS: You weren't a kid. You were larva.
[6] IANS: There go my erections for a month. Somebody get me some bleach.
[7] IANS: You also start rubbing your hind legs together and buzzing.
[8] IANS: Pull down your skirt. Your prostate is showing.
[9] nanoanomaly: I've done the math
IANS: Here's a sugar cube. You can quit stomping now.
[10] nanoanomaly: I wondered how long it would take you to get your nerve up to try and pacify me.
IANS:[Fires tranquilizer dart into gunt]
[11] nanoanomaly: I'm not clicking on that.
IANS: What are you afraid of? You're more likely to give the link a virus.

Location hidden

#185987 Nov 20, 2013
davy wrote:
You don't disregard any parts of the bible? How many of your neighbors have you killed for working on the sabbath.
Exodus 31:12-15
<quoted text>
Three.

Fennario

#185988 Nov 20, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
You have no problem with telling others they are uneducated and stupid for having their belief in an afterlife..
edneck

I don't do that. I say that faith is an error, not a virtue. And I illustrate the harm it does as I just did with Riverside Redneck.
Dave Nelson wrote:
Do excuse me for thinking my education in life has trumped yours.
How do you make such a judgment? Do you use any objective criteria? By education, I assume you mean all that you have learned in life and not just your formal education. I'm pretty sure that I have the edge there.

This brings us back to the topics of intelligence - the ability to acquire and apply knowledge and skills - and wisdom - the ability to achieve and sustain satisfaction applying those skills.

You live alone and in relative isolation, and you just finished telling us that you have nothing to look back at and nothing to look forward to.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min woodtick57 1,124,262
What role do you think humans play in global wa... 10 min Deny This 1,471
Should child beauty pageants be banned? 14 min PieceMaker 436
UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 1 hr Trojan 27,879
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 1 hr Pearl Jam 306,186
Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Fri Mary Downformore 201,188
Get your Gator Jamberry Nail Wraps Oct 16 jambycatherine 1

NCAA Basketball People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE