Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Jul 18, 2009 Read more: Webbunny tumblelog 237,766
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Read more

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#185928 Nov 19, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Many theists tell us that we don't understand things the way a god does, and that his love includes allowing us to suffer. Then they tell us how much they are looking forward to spending eternity in the presence of his love.
No thanks.
It's a double whammy, too.

We'd have to spend eternity with Dave Nelson.

Long Beach, CA

#185929 Nov 19, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope.
Just not letting you redefine yet another word.
Faith is complete trust or confidence in something.
Since you don't know the airline pilot, all you have is his flight record, you're taking his skills on faith - you trust him.
Since love cannot be quantified, all you have to prove your wife's love is her actions, her words and your intuition - you trust her and you have faith in yourself.
Faith = trust.
Trust = faith.
They are absolutely interchangeable.
Atheist just shun at using the word.....
You are incapable of learning, no matter how many opportunities you are given.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#185930 Nov 19, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
You will probably do worse.

Westcliffe, CO

#185931 Nov 19, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
You would be put in the whiner's section.

Then you can whine about the whining for all eternity.

Nobody like whiners, Catcher.

Something you Topix atheists don't grasp.

Something gave you the opportunity to have something to whine about, and you can't even appreciate that.

Long Beach, CA

#185932 Nov 19, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You will probably do worse.
The cute red fellow with a tail, carrying a pitchfork?

Westcliffe, CO

#185933 Nov 19, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
The cute red fellow with a tail, carrying a pitchfork?
There are worse things than being fricasseed and poked with a pitchfork.

Long Beach, CA

#185934 Nov 19, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
There are worse things than being fricasseed and poked with a pitchfork.
Name two.
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#185935 Nov 19, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm what you call a "real person".
You don't have those in your neck of the woods.
All you have is rich pricks that look down on others, thinking that money is the key to happiness by showing off their overpriced cars and jewelry and who spits on the waitress because she took too long because they think their time is more valuable than anybody else and they can't wait an extra two damn minutes for their pretty glass of rotten grape juice.
Here are a few words that will never be associated with either you or butt crack:

Elegant, sophisticated, pristine, charming, classy, serene, exquisite, sublime, and MOST unlikely, refined.

Westcliffe, CO

#185936 Nov 19, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Name two.
Being a conscious spirit with nothing to do. Pain is an experience and a sensation.

Spirits have no memories to relive, no intellect to ponder with. Just a desire to experience anything. Agony that can't be relieved. The burning fire of life with nothing to live in.

Don't need two.

You should really stop whining.

blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#185937 Nov 19, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Who hasn't?
I never have. Never owned a pickup truck, especially one with a gun rack, and always avoided Church parking lots, way to close to a church.

Always slept on fine Egyptian cotton sheets with a high thread count. Even have them on the boat.
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#185938 Nov 19, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm what you call a "real person".
You don't have those in your neck of the woods.
All you have is rich pricks that look down on others, thinking that money is the key to happiness by showing off their overpriced cars and jewelry and who spits on the waitress because she took too long because they think their time is more valuable than anybody else and they can't wait an extra two damn minutes for their pretty glass of rotten grape juice.
Who ever coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness." was full of shit!!

Strange but I don't believe I have ever had a glass of "rotten grape juice" Must be a Southern thing!!!! Sounds sickening, beans and rice washed down with a glass of rotten grape juice, barf!!!!

“Darwin died for your sins”

Since: Aug 08

Nunya

#185939 Nov 19, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Being a conscious spirit with nothing to do. Pain is an experience and a sensation.
Spirits have no memories to relive, no intellect to ponder with. Just a desire to experience anything. Agony that can't be relieved. The burning fire of life with nothing to live in.
Don't need two.
So we do get to keep our brains after we die?
davy

Albuquerque, NM

#185940 Nov 19, 2013
What makes christians so sleazy?
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Cool.
Dude probably deserved it.
Riverside, CA is named for the Santa Ana River, which really isn't a river. Out here we call it the river bottom, it's just wash of wet mud.
Brown people go there to make their bodies, and their backs, wet.
~sniggers
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#185941 Nov 19, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
1. There are no mistakes, so the premise of your question is flawed.
2. I believe it, and it's the only book to have endured as long as it has and adopted so many followers.
3. I don't disregard any parts of it, so again the premise of your question is flawed.
4. Because He trusts man. He knows that humans can understand human concepts. Perhaps Hid concepts are for too difficult for us to understand so it needed to be 'dumbed down' for human literacy.
Opps, no mistakes you say.

Gen 32:30 states,“…for I have seen God face to face, and my life is preserved.” However, John 1:18 states,“No man hath seen God at any time…” Both statements cannot be true. Either there is an error of fact, or an error of translation. In either case, there is an error. And if there is an error, then infallibility of the Bible (in this case the King James Version) is falsified

Long Beach, CA

#185942 Nov 19, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't need two.
Actually Dave, I'm having some spirits.

Distilled spirits.

Salud!
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#185943 Nov 19, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
1. There are no mistakes, so the premise of your question is flawed.
2. I believe it, and it's the only book to have endured as long as it has and adopted so many followers.
3. I don't disregard any parts of it, so again the premise of your question is flawed.
4. Because He trusts man. He knows that humans can understand human concepts. Perhaps Hid concepts are for too difficult for us to understand so it needed to be 'dumbed down' for human literacy.
No mistakes...REALLY??

"All flying insects that walk on FOUR legs are detestable to you"

"There are some winged creatures that walk on FOUR legs that you may eat"

ALL insect have SIX legs, your bible is WRONG. How many winged creatures do you know that have FOUR legs? WRONG once again

You bible classifies BATS as BIRDS, you bible is MISTAKEN.

Genesis claims the firmament is a "Roof" over the world.....WRONG

Genesis refers to the moon as a light.......WRONG

Genesis claims the earth was formed before the sun....REALLY WRONG.

Westcliffe, CO

#185944 Nov 19, 2013
madscot wrote:
<quoted text>
So we do get to keep our brains after we die?
No.

Your awake consciousness is a muscle you use here.

As your brain shuts down you quit thinking in words and those other things you "think" with. You get much more primal.

Westcliffe, CO

#185946 Nov 19, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually Dave, I'm having some spirits.
Distilled spirits.
Salud!
Good for you. Enjoy them.

You won't be able to later. Not even the memory of them.
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#185947 Nov 19, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
No reason for me to post a link, I all ready know your response. I even think denying and efforts of being condescending is how you get your jollies. The truth is your reading comprehension is too bad for you to realize the truth. And that is no one could claim their solution or their beliefs or what they believe is "the truth". Therefore with that confession, how could I post to someone with you manners, and lack of comprehension, the ultimate proof of the origin of mankind, the universe, souls or even earth. If you could prove any of this you'd be rich and famous. Better known than Einstein.
Science KNOWS the origins of the Earth, I'm surprised you don't, well not really. Science also has a pretty good hypothesis on the origins of man, and for the origins of the universe. Notice I left out SOULS. All of the others I mentioned can be observed and tested so therefore are REAL. Your soul thing is just something imagined, like any supernatural bullshit.

Yes, yes, you have hundreds of books and personal testimony's for your soul thing. You seem to think that because there is so much written about souls and because many people support such a thing that makes it real. There are thousands of books on astrology, levitation, spirit realm, physic powers, alien abductions, and to date, none of them can be proven scientifically. I guess we can add your soul thingy to this long list of bullshit
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#185948 Nov 19, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>I never have. Never owned a pickup truck, especially one with a gun rack, and always avoided Church parking lots, way to close to a church.
Always slept on fine Egyptian cotton sheets with a high thread count. Even have them on the boat.
I guess wearing a pair of cowboy boots is out of the question. You New Englanders……….. You need to get out and live a little Doctor. And you were in Vegas? Surely you own a pair of cowboy boots.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 7 min shinningelectr0n 1,217,529
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 1 hr Robbie C 29,549
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 3 hr EasyEed 309,649
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 3 hr superwilly 5,246
Conor Clifford 7ft center to commit to Utah. Sun UHB 1
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Apr 16 ocean 201,862
News Kecoughtan High teacher resigns after drug charges (Nov '07) Apr 14 tom wingo 73
More from around the web