Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258480 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#186026 Nov 20, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
You will probably do worse.
What makes your world so bitter and pessimistic? Do you ever wonder? Psychology determines philosophy, which in turn feeds back to modify or reinforce the psychology. You may have abandoned a few of the precepts of Christian theology and changed gods, but you still bear the scars of your Christian education, which principle message includes a sense of detachment from our common world, a general disrespect for humanity, and a redirection of your focus from the here and now to pie in the sky there and then. You're living your life waiting at a bus stop to heaven while cursing at the happiest pedestrians passing by.

Why don't you try constructive comments to the unbelievers? You might feel better about yourself, and we probably will feel better about you as well.

Fennario

#186027 Nov 20, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
You would be put in the whiner's section. Then you can whine about the whining for all eternity. Nobody like[s] whiners, Catcher.
So says Mr. Happy.
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

#186028 Nov 20, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
You never miss the opportunity to misrepresent yourself and others in a way that polishes your self-image, or more rightly, puts a shine on the fake image you wish to portray.
Dave doesn't resent you for any of those things you chirp about.
He resents you because you are exceptionally arrogant, and you convey a self-appropriated authority through pronouncements of what is true, wholly derived from the limits of how you see things.
And if facts do not support those pronouncements, you will fudge the facts, subtly mis-state them, deflect to better facts, and in some cases, simply lie.
AH-HA... The alledged subterfuge in the forum trick.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#186029 Nov 20, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
I was referring to the kind of serious harm that we had been discussing. You were saying that your god was good and I was saying that if he exists, he allows horrible things happen to people that he is ostensibly able to prevent. You then said that I let bad things happen to people, but was still a good person, and I disagreed.
You are now somehow equating my willingness ignore stranded motorists and trees with that god's willingness to ignore the horrible pain and suffering to make the argument that your god is good.
As I said earlier, this is quite disheartening to somebody like me, a secular humanist. We have different values. We don't call such behavior good. Nor love. And I consider the source of such teaching - the Christin church - to be a destructive one. It's why I don't merely avoid it myself, but why I want to see it diminished.
You have no sense for how it has damaged you, but this post and the last one show the effect that faith has had on your reasoning and ethical faculties. That's good for the church, but not for you or the rest of us.
You avoided my questions.

You've made the claim that you "never" let bad things happen that you can prevent.

I highly doubt that dubious claim.

You're under the impression that you, a secular humanist, have higher values and morals than that of all man. Even God.

I've yet to see these supposed higher morals in action.

“Be strong ...”

Since: Nov 10

...I whispered to my coffee

#186030 Nov 20, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Buck is not a christian, honey.
But if "a laying on of hands is needed", I have some experience there.
Comparison, nothing more, godbot theist, christian all similar, same god belief

Yes we have heard that you like to lay on hands until your neighbour is a pulp

Buck Crick

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#186031 Nov 20, 2013
Thinking wrote:
redneck doesn't even know what omnipotent means.
To him, archiving must seem like witchcraft.
<quoted text>
Does it matter what "omnipotent" means?

Are we back now to relying on definitions of words?

You guys need to keep me informed, flash signs or something.

I don't know when we are communicating with actual word meanings, or something else.

Pardon my confusion, but I am not omniscient.

(Assuming the word meaning still applies)

Catcher1

Since: Sep 10

Redondo Beach, CA

#186032 Nov 20, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
But you can't refute that faith is trust...
Imagine that.
Fallacy of equivocation.

Remember?
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

#186033 Nov 20, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
You got the meaning of "atheism" wrong again, and even more wrong this time.
Atheism is a state relative to gods or deities, not religion.
If you plan to communicate ideas, you might begin by learning the meaning of words you might choose for such a task.
Alternatively, you can continue to look like the slobbering, lap-lipped fool you are, Septic.
I'm personally betting on the latter.
Bwhahahahaha poor septic, the lip smacking is likely due to tardive dyskinesia.

Fennario

#186034 Nov 20, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Riverside, CA is named for the Santa Ana River, which really isn't a river. Out here we call it the river bottom, it's just wash of wet mud. Brown people go there to make their bodies, and their backs, wet.~sniggers
Yet another beautiful spirit compliments of Jesus, Inc.

You're a person who looks down on strangers based on one of the few advantage he has: his color, an accident of birth. That's an ugly quality that reflects as poorly of you as Dave Nelson's sour grapes posting does of him.

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#186035 Nov 20, 2013
Trust based on experience, reason and visible evidence is nothing like blind religious faith.
When you stipulate that one faith is blind, the other faith is reasonable, then argue that the latter is more reasonable,...

Do you think you actually made a point?

Catcher1

Since: Sep 10

Redondo Beach, CA

#186036 Nov 20, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You avoided my questions.
You've made the claim that you "never" let bad things happen that you can prevent.
I highly doubt that dubious claim.
You're under the impression that you, a secular humanist, have higher values and morals than that of all man. Even God.
I've yet to see these supposed higher morals in action.
For that, you'll have to venture outside of Riverside.

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#186037 Nov 20, 2013
<quoted text>

Did you ever read about Morton's Demon? I linked you to it twice. He's the fictional device imagined to guard the entrance to your mind and control what gets into it.
In medical school they call him "Professor".
Thinking

Merthyr Tydfil, UK

#186038 Nov 20, 2013
It's a yoghurt.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
WTF is a yoghurt?
Thinking

Merthyr Tydfil, UK

#186039 Nov 20, 2013
Your religion has had no scientific peer reviews - so it's equally sh!t.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Aristotle had no peer reviews for spontaneous generation.
But that was taught as fact for nearly 2,000 years.
Your science is wrought with failure.
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

#186040 Nov 20, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes. Maher's face has exceptional punchability.
I would give $50 to see him call Palin's child a "retard" in front of Todd Palin.
I'd give $100 to see him say it in front of me.
Neither will happen. Do you know why, Bongo?
..No, but if I took a guess , perhaps its because you are a ankle bracleted recidivist who rarely crosses the mason Dixon line?

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#186041 Nov 20, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Faith = trust.
Trust = faith.
They are absolutely interchangeable.
Atheist just shun at using the word.....
Thank you for sharing your religious education. Now I will share what I have learned with you:
Understanding basic word meaning is religious education?
We have good reason to believe that the airline pilot can fly by virtue of him having been given an airplane by people that have a huge stake in him flying competently.
Do you think that that trust is essentially the same as religious faith? Religious faith is more like trusting somebody to pilot you in an airplane that he found who has no certification and no known piloting experience.
Trust based on experience, reason and visible evidence is nothing like blind religious faith.
Good, so you have faith in the pilot.

Wasn't that easier?
Thinking

Merthyr Tydfil, UK

#186042 Nov 20, 2013
It's what redneck says his god isn't.
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Does it matter what "omnipotent" means?

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#186044 Nov 20, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
The bible is a work of total proofless bullsh*t.
"total"?

So Egypt isn't a real place?

Dumb atheist.
Thinking

Merthyr Tydfil, UK

#186045 Nov 20, 2013
I expect pilots to be well trained professionals.
I expect ministers to be charlatans.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Faith = trust.
Trust = faith.
They are absolutely interchangeable.
Atheist just shun at using the word.....
<quoted text>
Understanding basic word meaning is religious education?
<quoted text>
Good, so you have faith in the pilot.
Wasn't that easier?

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#186046 Nov 20, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
You are incapable of learning, no matter how many opportunities you are given.
Ouch! At least I don't run around in silk bloomers.

When Fountain and me come to Cal, we're fixin' a squarin' off place.

Fountain can referee.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min No Surprize 1,684,260
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 5 min susanm 326,586
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 21 min Like your package 35,359
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 1 hr Into The Night 12,057
Conn's Appliances (Nov '07) Jan 17 Sweet 293
News Horsechief commits to Pacific (Mar '06) Jan 4 NicePhartts 8
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Dec 24 Randy from Wooster 201,884
More from around the web