Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 254916 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#185460 Nov 18, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. tracking, tracking, tracking ..
QUESTION
In another forum, Christians regularly claim they love each other. What's the value in that?
You'll never get invited to the Christian orgies.

LOL

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#185461 Nov 18, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Perchance you'd be better off wondering why you worship a god you admit is not all powerful.
<quoted text>
If a god cannot be all-powerful, what other type of god could one worship but one that is not all-powerful?

Since: Sep 08

Rocky Ford, CO

#185462 Nov 18, 2013
A little while back I posted a link to a vice.com documentary about men who burn themselves in protests against something. I think it was called The Burning Men.

It led off with an account about some guy in some part of the old Soviet Union protesting the corruption of the new government that was hurting the common man. So one day he felt compelled to light himself up, which I believe did lead to some changes there.

But the interesting thing is he survived and in this story recounted how the pain only lasted 10 seconds or so. This is a guy who doused himself in gas and lit the match.

The body shuts off, the mind continues. Shock trauma. Well established phenomenon.

A separation of mind and body. Just some pain for a short while.

There appears to be an innate knowledge of this in human beings. That is why you have them committing suicide, sacrificing themselves to keep others alive, to protest injustices, and other things they feel compelled to do by their mind.

You can try to intellectualize the shit out of the causes for that phenomenon, but you will always come up short in the strictly material mind department. Matter that organizes into life will not destroy itself. It doesn't know how. It just follows action/reaction.

It is one HUGE "could be" to believe such "will" to self destruct can arise out of a random collection of matter gathering.

There is a belief that the body is the temple of God. It is the means to worship this creator of life and consciousness. That temple is created, it will be destroyed, it can be rebuilt. Your life can be compared to a lump of Silly Putty in the hands of a being that can create something out of it. Perhaps trying to communicate with it may get you recycled into something a little better than what you are now. Maybe not.

Or something like that.
Thinking

Merthyr Tydfil, UK

#185463 Nov 18, 2013
You repeatedly post incomplete definitions.
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
That's not linguistics.
That's spelling.
You can google it. It means the process of arranging letters in a word.
Hope that's helpful.
Thinking

Merthyr Tydfil, UK

#185464 Nov 18, 2013
You're not obliged to worship.
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
If a god cannot be all-powerful, what other type of god could one worship but one that is not all-powerful?

Location hidden

#185465 Nov 18, 2013
Thinking wrote:
My feeling too, but I don't know how to conclusively disprove there is no trinity.
What I do know is that there is no all powerful compassionate god because there is evidence of avoidable suffering.
<quoted text>
No, you do not.

Because you do not know whether allowing suffering is compassionate, in the context of eternity and an all-knowing god.

You do not know whether there is a more compassionate outcome to allowance of suffering.

Key words - "you do not know".

So your statement is false.

Location hidden

#185466 Nov 18, 2013
Thinking wrote:
You're not obliged to worship.
<quoted text>
That's not what you said.

You expressed dismay that someone would worship a particular type of god.

While also maintaining no other type of god was possible.

If you had said, "Explain why you would worship any god", then your statements would be consistent.

But you did not say that.

Now you said that, after your ill reasoning was pointed out.

Location hidden

#185467 Nov 18, 2013
Thinking wrote:
You repeatedly post incomplete definitions.
<quoted text>
I suggested you google it.

Do you want me to do everything for you?

Location hidden

#185468 Nov 18, 2013
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
Your signature is perfect for you.
And that stupid face in your avatar is perfect for you, BeenAssFucked.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#185469 Nov 18, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
And that stupid face in your avatar is perfect for you, BeenAssFucked.
Thank you for being the face of Christianity.

More reasons to avoid your religion like the evil plague it is.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#185470 Nov 18, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:

There are things even God can't do, young man.
Creating the logically impossible is one of them.
Thinking wrote:
So you believe your god is not all powerful.
<quoted text>
They didn't teach you very good English out there in the UK, did they?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#185471 Nov 18, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:

There are things even God can't do, young man.
Creating the logically impossible is one of them.
BenAdam wrote:
The Trinity is bunch of crap. Agreed.
You & Thinking aren't doing much thinking, are you?

Does it make your life easier to be stupid, perfesir?
Thinking

Merthyr Tydfil, UK

#185472 Nov 18, 2013
You're wrong.
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
No, you do not.
Because you do not know whether allowing suffering is compassionate, in the context of eternity and an all-knowing god.
You do not know whether there is a more compassionate outcome to allowance of suffering.
Key words - "you do not know".
So your statement is false.
Thinking

Merthyr Tydfil, UK

#185473 Nov 18, 2013
Where do I say that?
Sources?
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
While also maintaining no other type of god was possible.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#185474 Nov 18, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Perchance you'd be better off wondering why you worship a god you admit is not all powerful.
I really don't know why I bother with trolls like you, maybe because I know other people read this...

The whole "God can't create a rock He can't lift" is the atheists stupid way of trying to disprove God, or at least their infantile attempt at getting other people to follow their beliefs about God. It's your make-believe omnipotence paradox.

God is not omnipotent, there are several things He can't do. For example, He can't lie; He can't learn anything new; He can't remember a time that he did not exist; He can't think of a time where He won't exist; He can't go back on His word.

God is all powerful, He is the Almighty. But even being all powerful, that does not include the ability to do things that are, by definition, impossible.

Like creating a rock too heavy to lift.

Or creating a spherical triangle.

Capisce?

(I doubt it)

Since: Sep 10

Fremont, CA

#185475 Nov 18, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Some of God's are unanswered prayers....
Unanswered prayers?

You said your god answers all prayers.
Thinking

Merthyr Tydfil, UK

#185476 Nov 18, 2013
Actually I believe an all powerful god should be able to concoct the nonsense items you describe below. But I've seen no evidence of any of them. I find it odd that believers try to use logic in their attempts to convince others.

My issue remains this: there is no all powerful compassionate god because there is evidence of avoidable suffering.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I really don't know why I bother with trolls like you, maybe because I know other people read this...
The whole "God can't create a rock He can't lift" is the atheists stupid way of trying to disprove God, or at least their infantile attempt at getting other people to follow their beliefs about God. It's your make-believe omnipotence paradox.
God is not omnipotent, there are several things He can't do. For example, He can't lie; He can't learn anything new; He can't remember a time that he did not exist; He can't think of a time where He won't exist; He can't go back on His word.
God is all powerful, He is the Almighty. But even being all powerful, that does not include the ability to do things that are, by definition, impossible.
Like creating a rock too heavy to lift.
Or creating a spherical triangle.
Capisce?
(I doubt it)

Fremont, CA

#185477 Nov 18, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you've screwed up the LNC.
The way you'd apply it to God would be to say that He cannot both be perfect and imperfect.
But trying to use it to say that a perfect being can't create any imperfect is not logically sound.
<quoted text>
That is your guess. nothing more.
My guess is that evil exists because it's human nature and God allows us our free will to do as we choose.
You blame God. I blame humans.
What about Satan?

Don't forget Satan and his horrible influence. Hell, he alone got prayer banned from our public schools, and who knows what other bad stuff he has his dirty paws into.

Satan's a bad dude.

Fremont, CA

#185478 Nov 18, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Sheila!(aka nanoanomaly)
nano will surely like this (others should also take heed)

http://adsoftheworld.com/media/tv/mcac_rhian_...

Fremont, CA

#185479 Nov 18, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
He's compassionate enough not to hit you with a lightening bolt for being batshit stupid.
That's more compassion than I have.
You think those poor folks in Illinois suffering from yesterday's tornadoes were batshit stupid, and the god got them good?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 hr OzRitz 1,374,637
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 4 hr Brian_G 310,974
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 7 hr Trojan 32,248
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 9 hr IB DaMann 9,548
I got my loan from [email protected] (Jun '13) Apr 28 Ela 38
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Apr 27 Jesse 201,845
News Kenny Drummond's Prep School Thingy (Jan '08) Apr 23 Bret Link 21
More from around the web