Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 255484 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Sep 08

Rocky Ford, CO

#185448 Nov 18, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. exactly ..
.. for me, there's absolutely nothing we have total control over therefore we are powerless ..
.. a well fed antelope may run fast, be clever and have all the basic instincts to survive but a lion lurks on the Savanna's horizon ..
.. life is difficult, that's a fact. Humans must take responsibility but, like the antelope, they cannot direct the outcome ..
.. instead of encouraging people to find their center of being, religion provides humans with a nice, tidy solution underscored by dogma ..
.. the vigilant antelope knows better ..
The religion provides a center of being.

You have an active and a passive vigilance. You can pace back and forth looking for things focusing all of your senses in the direction you look, or you sit there in some sort of peace and be alerted by changes in the background. You burn up energy in the first, and you maintain a reserve in the second. In the first your attention is like shining a flashlight beam in the dark, an active scanning where you cover a small portion and miss others during a period of time, and if you suspect something, you focus even more intently, thus taking your attention even further away from the rest of the landscape. The second just lets your natural senses alert you, which also gives you more time to think and reflect. The difference between running scared in the belief it will extend your life, and just reacting with some measure to what occurs. Religion gives you that sense of fate where you can relax and react better and not burn out so fast. This is also the difference between prey and predator.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#185449 Nov 18, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Is a "lightening bolt" some new form of religious ethnic cleaning?
Putin would probably snatch your hand off.
<quoted text>
No, lightning bolts have been around for a long time.

You can google it.

Here is an example:

http://www.google.com/imgres...

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#185450 Nov 18, 2013
Thinking wrote:
You still haven't explained why your god hasn't defeated satan way back in the past.
Your god is either not all powerful, not compassionate, or, most likely, does not exist.
<quoted text>
I wonder, do you ask so many questions about everything you claim "probably" doesn't exist?

Do you troll unicorn threads?

Do you troll Santa threads?

Unlikely.

Location hidden

#185451 Nov 18, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. yes, humans have the ability to feel peace, joy and contentment ..
.. then, a storm appears on the horizon ..
.. outcomes are never guaranteed ..
.. no matter how spiritual one is, it's impossible to always remain in the eye of a hurricane because like peace, joy and contentment, humans also experience anger and pain, qualities we are powerless over ..
For the one who understands peace, joy, contentment, he understands that these are not derived from senses of form.

He receives these qualities as he becomes aware that he is the experiencer, not the experience.

They are qualities independent from the storm. That was a Jesus teaching.

If peace is supplied by external experience, it will be fickle and short-lived.

But that's not true peace.

"If one says 'it is in the sky', then the birds will arrive before you. If one says 'it is in the sea', then the fish will arrive before you. It is within you."

We are far from powerless over anger and pain.
Thinking

Merthyr Tydfil, UK

#185452 Nov 18, 2013
So you believe your god is not all powerful.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
There are things even God can't do, young man.
Creating the logically impossible is one of them.

Location hidden

#185453 Nov 18, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
I had a similar idea once:
http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T...
Idea!
I've often thought that Bibles should be treated like the movie The Wizard of Oz. Recall that reality, which was set in Kansas, and which appeared on screen only at the beginning and end of the movie, was filmed in black and white, whereas the fantasy world of Dorothy's dream of Oz while she was unconsciousness from the tornado was shot in color.
Couldn't we have Bible's like that? When we're in fantasy mode, like with the talking snake and the six days of creation, the printing could be in color to tell us that they were just kidding.
But when they got to the factual parts - the drop dead serious stuff such as the parts about zombies rising from the dead, for example - it would be in black and white.
Helpful idea or not?
That is not impressive.
Thinking

Merthyr Tydfil, UK

#185454 Nov 18, 2013
You initially wrote "lightening", a basic schoolboy error on your part.

I know linguistics is achingly important to you.
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
No, lightning bolts have been around for a long time.
You can google it.
Here is an example:
http://www.google.com/imgres...

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#185455 Nov 18, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
There are things even God can't do, young man.
Creating the logically impossible is one of them.
The Trinity is bunch of crap. Agreed.
Thinking

Merthyr Tydfil, UK

#185456 Nov 18, 2013
Perchance you'd be better off wondering why you worship a god you admit is not all powerful.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I wonder, do you ask so many questions about everything you claim "probably" doesn't exist?
Do you troll unicorn threads?
Do you troll Santa threads?
Unlikely.

“"None shall pass"”

There

#185457 Nov 18, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
That's an argument about linguistics, not God.

Moron.
Your signature is perfect for you.
Thinking

Merthyr Tydfil, UK

#185458 Nov 18, 2013
My feeling too, but I don't know how to conclusively disprove there is no trinity.

What I do know is that there is no all powerful compassionate god because there is evidence of avoidable suffering.
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
The Trinity is bunch of crap. Agreed.

Location hidden

#185459 Nov 18, 2013
Thinking wrote:
You initially wrote "lightening", a basic schoolboy error on your part.
I know linguistics is achingly important to you.
<quoted text>
That's not linguistics.

That's spelling.

You can google it. It means the process of arranging letters in a word.

Hope that's helpful.

“"None shall pass"”

There

#185460 Nov 18, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. tracking, tracking, tracking ..
QUESTION
In another forum, Christians regularly claim they love each other. What's the value in that?
You'll never get invited to the Christian orgies.

LOL

Location hidden

#185461 Nov 18, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Perchance you'd be better off wondering why you worship a god you admit is not all powerful.
<quoted text>
If a god cannot be all-powerful, what other type of god could one worship but one that is not all-powerful?

Since: Sep 08

Rocky Ford, CO

#185462 Nov 18, 2013
A little while back I posted a link to a vice.com documentary about men who burn themselves in protests against something. I think it was called The Burning Men.

It led off with an account about some guy in some part of the old Soviet Union protesting the corruption of the new government that was hurting the common man. So one day he felt compelled to light himself up, which I believe did lead to some changes there.

But the interesting thing is he survived and in this story recounted how the pain only lasted 10 seconds or so. This is a guy who doused himself in gas and lit the match.

The body shuts off, the mind continues. Shock trauma. Well established phenomenon.

A separation of mind and body. Just some pain for a short while.

There appears to be an innate knowledge of this in human beings. That is why you have them committing suicide, sacrificing themselves to keep others alive, to protest injustices, and other things they feel compelled to do by their mind.

You can try to intellectualize the shit out of the causes for that phenomenon, but you will always come up short in the strictly material mind department. Matter that organizes into life will not destroy itself. It doesn't know how. It just follows action/reaction.

It is one HUGE "could be" to believe such "will" to self destruct can arise out of a random collection of matter gathering.

There is a belief that the body is the temple of God. It is the means to worship this creator of life and consciousness. That temple is created, it will be destroyed, it can be rebuilt. Your life can be compared to a lump of Silly Putty in the hands of a being that can create something out of it. Perhaps trying to communicate with it may get you recycled into something a little better than what you are now. Maybe not.

Or something like that.
Thinking

Merthyr Tydfil, UK

#185463 Nov 18, 2013
You repeatedly post incomplete definitions.
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
That's not linguistics.
That's spelling.
You can google it. It means the process of arranging letters in a word.
Hope that's helpful.
Thinking

Merthyr Tydfil, UK

#185464 Nov 18, 2013
You're not obliged to worship.
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
If a god cannot be all-powerful, what other type of god could one worship but one that is not all-powerful?

Location hidden

#185465 Nov 18, 2013
Thinking wrote:
My feeling too, but I don't know how to conclusively disprove there is no trinity.
What I do know is that there is no all powerful compassionate god because there is evidence of avoidable suffering.
<quoted text>
No, you do not.

Because you do not know whether allowing suffering is compassionate, in the context of eternity and an all-knowing god.

You do not know whether there is a more compassionate outcome to allowance of suffering.

Key words - "you do not know".

So your statement is false.

Location hidden

#185466 Nov 18, 2013
Thinking wrote:
You're not obliged to worship.
<quoted text>
That's not what you said.

You expressed dismay that someone would worship a particular type of god.

While also maintaining no other type of god was possible.

If you had said, "Explain why you would worship any god", then your statements would be consistent.

But you did not say that.

Now you said that, after your ill reasoning was pointed out.

Location hidden

#185467 Nov 18, 2013
Thinking wrote:
You repeatedly post incomplete definitions.
<quoted text>
I suggested you google it.

Do you want me to do everything for you?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min President Trump 1,394,448
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 2 hr Yes We Are 9,780
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) Thu Trojan 32,287
News What they're saying about Bulls draft pick Bobb... (Jun '15) Jun 20 Tretre 6
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) Jun 16 ThomasA 311,316
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Jun 13 Dump Trump 201,862
I got my loan from [email protected] (Jun '13) Jun 6 James Harry 41
More from around the web