Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258482 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#185085 Nov 17, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, and you are so NOT a christian.
Your Jesus?
Commanded you to **heal** the sick-- not **bleed** them, as what **all** ReThuglicans want to do.
Uh-huh

You suppose Jesus would like charging through the nose for 'health care'?

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#185086 Nov 17, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
ID has no mythical teachings.
I disagree, as do many others.

The intelligent designer that those Christians had in mind is a mythological creature. Jehovah presently has no more evidentiary support than the Kraken.

And the creation story in their bible that informs their agenda is mythology debunked by the science that they object to and are happy to undermine, whatever the damage to the nation that causes.

You needn't bother objecting that ID is not Creationaism, or that the intelligent designer isn't Jehovah. I already know how you feel about that, so I'll save you the trouble and do it for you, and then rebut with "Cdesign proponentsists," the smoking gun proof that ID is repackaged Creationism created and intelligently designed to get around Edwards v. Aguillard.

If you like, I can also provide you with some quotes establishing who the most prominent Cdesign proponentsists consider to be the intelligent designer:

William Dembski: "I think God's glory is being robbed by these naturalistic approaches to biological evolution."

"Phillip Johnson converted to fundamentalist Christianity after a mid-life crisis and made "Defeating Darwinism" (part of the title of one of his books) his new mission.

"Jonathan Wells candidly admitted that "Father's [Rev. Sun Myung Moon's] words, my studies, and my prayers convinced me that I should devote my life to destroying Darwinism..."

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#185087 Nov 17, 2013
boooots wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree that one has to be open-minded about things, that cannot be proved or haven't been proved, because if we stick to somethign that we don't ahve a shred of reason to, come hell o rhigh water, we are jsut being stubborn, and not willing to learn. I think that is perhaps my reason for having gone from a believing church attending person to one who doesn't believe, and at times can by highly critical of others, especially when they promote aspects of their beliefs which are coutner to human rights, human decency, and just common sense.
I don't know if I am right, but I doubt very many believers in a God, would be willing to jump off a 200 foot high cliff onto boulders below either, on the belief that they have all prayed first to have God save them, and God always answers prayers. The majority cling to their beliefs because it is safe to do so, since nothing very serious is at stake, if they do. Actually, I should have said the majority of believers do, as the majority of people, in the more developed nations today are not believers, or at least are not demonstrating they are by following the belief that a believer must attend Church.
God answers all prayers.

Sometimes the answer is 'No'.

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#185088 Nov 17, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Dawkins claims to be an agonostic.
Really? Have you read "The God Delusion"? Dawkins clearly says that he is an atheist in that book. And he defines atheism in the way I have described.

But then, we find that you lie continuously. So why should I pay any attention to what you say?

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#185089 Nov 17, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course you could ignore a proof.
You want to evaluate a proof? I can't get past simple definitions with you. You don't know why a theocracy is worse than a secular democracy, or why killing an animal is different from killing a plant.
OK - one argument. But first, let's see what god you worship. Is Jehovah perfect? Did he write the bible? Is he omniscienct, omnipotent, and perfectly loving?
That's a pretty lame excuse; "You wouldn't understand". I call bullshit. You won't even try.

"Jehovah" is a Hebrew word for "God". I don't speak Hebrew so no, I don't worship Jehovah, I worship God. Yes, I believe He's omniscient. No, I don't believe He's omnipotent. Yes, He's perfectly loving.

Fennario

#185090 Nov 17, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
the wise man they called Jesus.
Care to defend that claim that Jesus was wise - more wise than say Mary Tyler Moore?

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#185091 Nov 17, 2013
<quoted text>

That court and that judge speak for the entire legal system until I higher court intercedes.
No, that is incorrect.

Kitzmiller was not appealed, and has no legal relevance outside the middle district of Pennsylvania.

Judge Jones affirmed this himself.

#185093 Nov 17, 2013
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> The claim God is a delusion is pure speculation. Who could prove that there is no creator?
Again, clearly you haven't read the book and are speaking opinions that are without basis.

The delusion he is speaking of is the delusion that there is actually evidence of the god of yours. In that sense, yes it is a delusion. The evidence you all claim is in fact nonexistent. And with no evidence it is only logical to conclude that there is very, very likely no god.

Though admittedly, one can not claim "no god" definitively. Not without perfect knowledge on the subject, which no human has.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#185094 Nov 17, 2013
davy wrote:
Show your proof that unicorns don't exist. Bow down to the unicorn!
<quoted text>
I don't get into debates on things I don't believe exist.

I'm not an atheist.

Location hidden

#185095 Nov 17, 2013
<quoted text>
What won't you nitpick over? What point is too trivial for you not to make an issue of?
How many arguments do you wish to lose to me over Kitzmiller?

Your knowledge base for the case is obviously inferior, and you only know what you ask for from Google.

Since: Sep 08

Rocky Ford, CO

#185096 Nov 17, 2013
http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_245...

Ancient seawater was twice as salty?

Don't these sort of things get in the way of theories about the development of life based upon present conditions?

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#185097 Nov 17, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
What I got from RR isn't that he didn't know why a theocracy is worse than a secular democracy.
I thought he implied a theocracy was superior to a secular democracy.
Bur really, IANS. RR isn't worthy of a serious conversation.
He's an ignorant wiseass who likes to play word games, control others, and dominate in order to make up for his lack of substance.
I never commented which type of government would be better.

So again, counselor, your argument falls flat.

#185098 Nov 17, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
No he doesn't.
Dawkins disagrees with you about himself.
Dawkins prefers to call himself an agnostic, as he says on this public forum.
He shies away from "atheist", since he is not sure God does not exist.
So Dawkins agrees with my definition, not yours.
You blithering goof.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/9102...
"My personal feeling is that understanding evolution led me to atheism."

--Richard Dawkins

Guess you are just lying about Dawkins like you lie about so many other things.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#185099 Nov 17, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
I agree with all of your points, above.
He [RR] did claim to be an atheist previously. I have my doubts about that--
I've never claimed to be an atheist.

Location hidden

#185100 Nov 17, 2013
<quoted text>
I disagree, as do many others.
The intelligent designer that those Christians had in mind is a mythological creature. Jehovah presently has no more evidentiary support than the Kraken.
And the creation story in their bible that informs their agenda is mythology debunked by the science that they object to and are happy to undermine, whatever the damage to the nation that causes.
You needn't bother objecting that ID is not Creationaism, or that the intelligent designer isn't Jehovah. I already know how you feel about that, so I'll save you the trouble and do it for you, and then rebut with "Cdesign proponentsists," the smoking gun proof that ID is repackaged Creationism created and intelligently designed to get around Edwards v. Aguillard.
If you like, I can also provide you with some quotes establishing who the most prominent Cdesign proponentsists consider to be the intelligent designer:
William Dembski: "I think God's glory is being robbed by these naturalistic approaches to biological evolution."
"Phillip Johnson converted to fundamentalist Christianity after a mid-life crisis and made "Defeating Darwinism" (part of the title of one of his books) his new mission.
"Jonathan Wells candidly admitted that "Father's [Rev. Sun Myung Moon's] words, my studies, and my prayers convinced me that I should devote my life to destroying Darwinism..."
I won the argument about Aguillard last year. But I could never get you to admit that 1975 was prior to 1987.

Has your mind changed on that? Because I think I'm on the more solid ground that 1975 was prior to 1987.

And scientists who do science can have all kinds of religious beliefs.

Their science stands or falls on the science.

It's easier to attack something other than their science.

That's called a "tell".

#185101 Nov 17, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Lack of belief is not atheism, DogPecker.
I know you are a great believer in the dictionary and here is Dictionary.com ...

atheism

2. disbelief in the existence of a supreme being or beings.

Or are you going to be stupid enough to claim that "disbelief" and "lack of belief" have different meanings?

Fennario

#185102 Nov 17, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
There is no way our moon was formed from a chunk of us. We hold it in orbit. It had to have that speed to keep it from coming down. You would have loosened material, not one big contiguous chunk of rock that would have to gravitate around a core all at that same speed for it to form like that. The larger earth gravity would have pulled those smaller chunks down. Plus as those chunks came together you would have a continuous change in mass that would affect the earth/moon barycenter, thus orbital speed.

You seem to be assuming that the earth was hit squarely sending debris straight up and then down, but computer modeling demonstrates that a sidelong impact would generate an orbiting moon.

This is why you need more contact with external resources. Your failure to do that leaves you far out of the loop and going down dead end paths. Science is a cooperative effort, not one underinformed and misinformed guy's idle speculations. Creativity is essential, but must be applied to known facts to be useful. If not, it's just comic book science.

Fennario

#185103 Nov 17, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Distraction.
Good rebuttal.

#185104 Nov 17, 2013
<quoted text>
I've been away from the atheist forum for nearly a year myself. I was posting on Why Should Jesus Love Me for most of 2013.
<quoted text>
Thanks. I may take a look. I'm already pretty convinced that the conservative politicians and their backers are a disease, but I've also become pretty apolitical.
<quoted text>
Buck and I haven't interacted in a year, so I find him easy to tolerate now. But I know that that is very much subject to change. He is already becoming more hostile and openly disrespectful, which is boring and unacceptable.
We'll see how long we can converse. I'll tolerate his idiosyncracies - even celebrate them with him - but not his abusive side. Unfortunately, we seem to be headed there.
I am enjoying Buck in my short foray here. His claims are so idiotic as to be hilarious. At least, when taken in small doses.

Take care. I may hang around for a little while...or I may not.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#185105 Nov 17, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I won the argument about Aguillard last year. But I could never get you to admit that 1975 was prior to 1987.
Has your mind changed on that? Because I think I'm on the more solid ground that 1975 was prior to 1987.
And scientists who do science can have all kinds of religious beliefs.
Their science stands or falls on the science.
It's easier to attack something other than their science.
That's called a "tell".
"And scientists who do science can have all kinds of religious beliefs."

True, but they do not bring beliefs into the lab. Can you imagine if they did?

These two scientists are going to work on ways of removing Hydrogen from water.

Scientist #1: Goes to collect items that he needs to start work.

Scientist #2: Falls to his knees and prays.

After several hours, Scientist #1 has a measurable amount of Hydrogen and Scientist #2 is complaining about his sore knees.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 min welfarestate 1,567,328
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 26 min weaponX 315,347
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 33 min ThisPhartzz 33,448
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 16 hr Patriot AKA Bozo 11,298
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Jul 12 New boy 201,878
News Johnny Brown Added To Coaching Staff (Oct '07) Jul 1 Brown Pharts 3
News Tragedy strikes family members of Leasure (Jul '08) Jun '17 Evidence phart 9
More from around the web