Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 255908 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#184962 Nov 16, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you experienced God?
No more than you-- we were both lied to as children, and as such, we then re-interpreted our delusions as "god".

Alas, it was just a delusion...

“MEET KIKI -She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#184963 Nov 16, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
No, and no. But I like to think-- within the limits of his brain-- he shows great affection.
In a human, his actions would be associated with love. But he's a cat, and will always be framed by his cat instincts, which are stronger than his intellect.<quoted text>

.. you must read THE SILENT MIAOW by Paul Gallico. It addresses the basic instincts of cats, why humans respond to their plaintive meows and why we make them little gods ..

[QUOTE who="Bob of Quantum-Faith"]<quoted text>
I would much rather go and **see** rather than mind-numbingly accept "goddidit".
.. that's a wise course to take, it's exactly what I do ..

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#184964 Nov 16, 2013
Oh lookit!

All the nasty Judgits on each of my posts!

THANKS DAVE!

LMAO!
Siro

Ryde, Australia

#184965 Nov 16, 2013
<quoted text>
LOL!
You are so incredibly STUPID, that you would cling to an old, out-of-date policy that is no longer legal.
You are that dumb-- you'd rather pay **more** for a crappy, not-as-good policy!
LOL!
You people are so funny, it's hilarious.
<quoted text>
Oh, and you are so NOT a christian.
Your Jesus?
Commanded you to **heal** the sick-- not **bleed** them, as what **all** ReThuglicans want to do.
^^^^
Pedo bob once again proving his marxism

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

With Established Harem

#184966 Nov 16, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I disagree.
I believe respect must be earned.
Of course, respect is the default position, absent any reason to withhold it.
But I don't see respect as an entitlement; each person has the responsibility to demonstrate that s/he deserves others' respect.
Avoidance of conflict is not the highest value.
Integrity, compassion, empathy, respect for human dignity, are requirements. Absent these values, a person does not deserve respect. They trump a desire to avoid conflict.
.. actually, we do agree ..

.. respect must be the default position ..

.. even conflict can be resolved constructively and respectfully, just ask any diplomat ..

With Established Harem

#184967 Nov 16, 2013
<quoted text>
So far?
She's managed to evoke a deeper than I usually do response.
That ought to be worth something, right?
:)
.. you're gonna love me ..

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#184968 Nov 16, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
No kidding. "We are billion year old carbon."
Buck thinks when you die your body vaporizes. LOL

I think he was traumatized by a funeral when he was a child. It's a coping mechanism. Such sad delusion.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#184969 Nov 16, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
If it's proof, I can't ignore it. Try me. Show your proof that God doesn't exist.
Of course you could ignore a proof.

You want to evaluate a proof? I can't get past simple definitions with you. You don't know why a theocracy is worse than a secular democracy, or why killing an animal is different from killing a plant.

OK - one argument. But first, let's see what god you worship. Is Jehovah perfect? Did he write the bible? Is he omniscienct, omnipotent, and perfectly loving?

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#184970 Nov 16, 2013
<quoted text>
I don't agree.
I would agree with RR. However, until he can substantiate his claim....

BTW, RR, Socrates is the questionable entity, not Plato.
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

#184971 Nov 16, 2013
<quoted text>
We've been through all of that already. Will it be necessary to repeat it? Let me cut to the chase for you: you and the Christians consider intelligent design feasible, the courts and mainstream science consider it pseudoscience, you think Judge Jones was an ass, I think Michael Behe was humiliated, and none of that will likely ever change. Can we move on?
For anybody not familiar with this court case that challenged a Pennsylvania school board in its decision to teach intelligent design in its schools, this is a pretty interesting story. The following is a two hour documentary about the events leading up to the trial, the trial preparation, the amazing testimony given, and the Judge's unexpected but heroic decision. Is it worth 2 hours to watch? It was for me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =x2xyrel-2vIXX
Buck is as tenacious about this topic as he is about everything else, and will become very irritated if the subject is raised again and he doesn't get to control the discussion and which ideas will be permitted without a tantrum being thrown.
Who wants us to go there? It'll be a scene.
It would be a lot more interesting than you vs skom!

“Wrath”

Since: Dec 10

Is revenant

#184972 Nov 16, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
That's no cucumber...
Whatever it is... you said it was lotioned up.

Since: Sep 08

Rocky Ford, CO

#184973 Nov 16, 2013
http://www.topix.com/forum/rel igion/atheism/TUGI0DVLLAKD7M2H N/post184816
<quoted text>
This is why I don't take discussion with you seriously. It's a waste of time.
LOL!!

You set the scenario, I answered with what I would have done.

You made a piss poor attempt at setting up a logic to fall your way and on your terms. But yourself got in the way. You assume others would be as desperate as you are to live and have no compunction about putting others at risk to save your worthless hide.

You were trying to set up having to make a choice of faiths, but your ego blew it on the intellectual level.

Now, to answer that question, I would ask both groups if they saw any green in their mirages. Vegetation that tends to grow around decent water in deserts. If one did, I would suggest all heading in that direction, with or without me. Carrying me would wear them out faster, limping along would take longer. An unknown, just a best guess. They need the best odds they can get. In addition, since there was a hostile act in a hostile area, there were likely hostile actors around they would also have to deal with. Probably near the water hole. They wouldn't need any extra weight.

Now, if that wasn't a patrol in the 19th or early 20th century, meaning it was in this era, that being an ordered patrol and all, they would be carrying a radio. If they radio was destroyed, those who sent them out will be dispatching at least a heavily armed helicopter to look for them after contact had been broken. Probably with water on it. And a radio to call Medevac. The Army is a system, after all.

You shouldn't be trying these intellectual exercises under the influence, IANS. You have trouble enough when sober. You go chasing mirages when you are sober, you get lost in them when you aren't.

Since: Sep 10

Redondo Beach, CA

#184974 Nov 16, 2013
<quoted text>
Of course you could ignore a proof.
You want to evaluate a proof? I can't get past simple definitions with you. You don't know why a theocracy is worse than a secular democracy, or why killing an animal is different from killing a plant.
OK - one argument. But first, let's see what god you worship. Is Jehovah perfect? Did he write the bible? Is he omniscienct, omnipotent, and perfectly loving?
What I got from RR isn't that he didn't know why a theocracy is worse than a secular democracy.

I thought he implied a theocracy was superior to a secular democracy.

Bur really, IANS. RR isn't worthy of a serious conversation.

He's an ignorant wiseass who likes to play word games, control others, and dominate in order to make up for his lack of substance.
davy

Albuquerque, NM

#184975 Nov 16, 2013
Show your proof that unicorns don't exist. Bow down to the unicorn!
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
If it's proof, I can't ignore it.
Try me.
Show your proof that God doesn't exist.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#184976 Nov 16, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Which god and who designed it? Was it flawed? God's creator is to blame. Perhaps he was setting (sic) in a rocking chair with a blank stare and his mouth open.
There's only one God darling, only one.
LCNLin

United States

#184978 Nov 16, 2013
Rational Tulsans wrote:
I am a man of God. However, I trust a white atheist more than a white christian. White Christians are racist and homosexuals.
You may need to move to another state?
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#184979 Nov 16, 2013
<quoted text>
I'm laughing whenever I post to you, bigot.
You are one ugly man-- seriously.
I bet you kick dogs and cats-- don't you?
I bet you are that man-- that man on the street all the neighborhood kids are **terrified** of-- because you are always yelling "GIT OFFA MAH LAWNS, YOU IDJITS!"
Admit it--you are **that** man.
[laughing] Well, I have had dogs over the years. They were always German Shepherds. Mainly because they were good protectors and only a fool would jump in the backyard. A man could fight off one dog maybe but two?

We loved them and had a lot of fun with those dogs. The kids next door would sometimes accidentally throw their football into our yard. All you would hear is a bunch of growling and it a couple of minutes that football was shredded into pieces.

Dogs have a relatively short life compared to ours and it just broke our heart to see them get old and die. So we no longer have dogs.

But today we have only one cat. Our first cat and we have had him since 2001. He loves his play time everyday. And he gets mad if he doesn’t get to play. Cats have their loyalties and even understand human language. He knows when he is being talked about.

There’s not that many kids around where I live now. When my grandkids are staying with me things get a little loud. But unlike when we were kids Bob. Kids play mostly inside these days. When we were kids we practically lived outside but that’s not the way it is today.

I have been blessed both in Houston and where I live now to have some really good neighbors.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#184980 Nov 16, 2013
<quoted text>
"You can say 'Gee, your life must be pretty bleak if you don't think there's a purpose' but I'm anticipating a good lunch." - James Watson
Yeah, we're all friggin' suicidal. Please pass the Poupon.
It's good that you are balanced or at least you think you are.

Cowboy, the trail ride will come to an end one day. It always does. I know you live in Mexico and there’s a lot of cowboys in Mexico.

Have as much fun as you can because one day you’ll get off the saddle and not get back on.
Siro

Ryde, Australia

#184981 Nov 16, 2013
Rational Tulsans wrote:
I am a man of God. However, I trust a white atheist more than a white christian. White Christians are racist and homosexuals.
Who is your God?
Moloch?

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#184982 Nov 16, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would he go to the trouble of creating something if there wasn't something he felt he needed to create it for?
Gods don't have to perfect, or even all knowing. They are higher up the food chain and pecking order than you.
God is needed to feel honored so he created people to have someone to bow down and worship him. That's some god lol...

So everything that so called god created was a trouble for him to create?

why would anyone live life entirely based on anything god has to say if after all, he's not perfect and he could be wrong?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 min FYVM 1,403,102
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 1 hr litesong 9,985
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 18 hr Trojan 32,307
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 18 hr cpeter1313 311,484
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Fri Frankie Rizzo 201,877
legitimate loan lender (Oct '13) Jul 21 Ceren 7
What Ever Happen To Niagara Basketball (May '15) Jul 17 Disappointed PE 3
More from around the web