Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258461 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#184864 Nov 16, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
It's your choice to feel personally insulted when I reject one of your sources, not an inevitability. I will always reject Christian apologists. I am too familiar by now with their motives, ethics, and tactics. If you want to cite a reference, choose one that isn't Christian, or p¿be prepared to be personally offended when I reject it.
The fact is that there is absolutely nothing known only to Christians, and anything worth saying can be found in a mutually acceptable resource. If you can only find it coming from a Christian or a Christian site, don't bother me with it.
The source was The Huffington Post, which is not a Christian site, and the cited passage was the words of an agnostic, not a Christian.

Not to pile on, but the insult was not from you, it was from Catcher.

My response to you was when you referred to the insult (from Catcher) as "dissent", and I corrected you.

Are you drinking?

You are even more inaccurate than usual.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#184865 Nov 16, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, dude.
You lose--again.
I have yet to tell a lie.
If you disagree, show me the evidence.
Sure thing, no prob.

First, prove you have hands.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#184866 Nov 16, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Seriously, IANS? If you could disprove the Christian God, you would literally change the world.
Not at all. Nothing at all would change. Skeptics don't need proof, and faith based thinkers are immune to it. What would you do with a proof of your god's nonexistence besides ignore it?

Fennario

#184867 Nov 16, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
Atheism, from the Greek a-theos ("no-god"), is the philosophical position that God doesn't exist. It is distinguished from agnosticism, the argument that it is impossible to know whether God exists or not (Academic American Encyclopedia).
Atheism, system of thought developed around the denial of God's existence. Atheism, so defined, first appeared during the Enlightenment, the age of reason (Random House Encyclopedia-1977).
Atheism is the doctrine that there is no God.(Oxford Companion to Philosophy-1995).
Atheism (Greek, a-[private prefix]+ theos, god) is the view that there is no divine being, no God (Dictionary of Philosophy, Thomas Mautner, Editor-1996).
Atheism is the belief that God doesn't exist (The World Book Encyclopedia-1991).
Atheism, commonly speaking, is the denial of God. Theism (from the Greek theos, God) is belief in or conceptualization of God, atheism is the rejection of such belief or conceptualization.In the ancient world atheism was rarely a clearly formulated position (Encyclopedia Americana-1990).
Atheism, the critique and denial of metaphysical beliefs in God or spiritual beings. Atheism is to be distinguished from agnosticism, which leaves open whether there is a god or not, professing to find the question unanswerable, for the atheist, the non-existence of god is a certainty (The New Encyclopedia Britannia-1993).
According to the most usual definition, an atheist is a person who maintains that there is no god…(rejects eccentric definitions of the word)(The Encyclopedia of Philosophy-1967).
Atheism is the doctrine that God does not exist, that belief in the existence of God is a false belief. The word God here refers to a divine being regarded as the independent creator of the world, a being superlatively powerful, wise and good (Encyclopedia of Religion-1987).
Atheism (Greek and Roman): Atheism is a dogmatic creed, consisting in the denial of every kind of supernatural power. Atheism has not often been seriously maintained at any period of civilized thought (Encyclopedia of Religion and Ethics-Vol II).
Atheism denies the existence of deity (Funk and Wagnall's New Encyclopedia-Vol I).
It must be a quarter after the hour. This should be reappearing in about fifteen more minutes

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#184868 Nov 16, 2013
<quoted text>
Thank you yet again for your unsupported opinions. I will file them with the others.
You might consider making an additional file for the supported opinions.

I know it's a simpler filing system with one file, but the additional file would lend to better organization.

Fennario

#184869 Nov 16, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
You're not supposed to use a dictionary, just make it up as you go.
Atheist: noun A person who attacks others because they have a religion.
Was this an example?

Fennario

#184870 Nov 16, 2013
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> The claim God is a delusion is pure speculation. Who could prove that there is no creator?
Proving the non-existence of Jehovah-Jesus is not the same disproving the existence of gods in the abstract.

Fennario

#184871 Nov 16, 2013
Bongo wrote:
Wheres your manners and respect for an ancient diety who is Omni everything.
Sorry. Respect must be earned. Eternal torture for failing to worship is a deal killer.

Fennario

#184872 Nov 16, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
The world humbled me in many ways.
Puh-leese! Just stop right there. You couldn't possibly be less humble.

Since: Sep 10

Redondo Beach, CA

#184873 Nov 16, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure thing, no prob.
First, prove you have hands.
Red herring.

But it's OK, I accept your apology.

Just try not to do it again.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#184874 Nov 16, 2013
<quoted text>
Not at all. Nothing at all would change. Skeptics don't need proof, and faith based thinkers are immune to it. What would you do with a proof of your god's nonexistence besides ignore it?
If it's proof, I can't ignore it.

Try me.

Show your proof that God doesn't exist.
Anon

Lakewood, OH

#184875 Nov 16, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Because we don't live in OT times.
They were pre-Jesus.
We are post-Jesus.
Get with the times.
Any time you're stuck for an answer, you do this. Another sleazy Christian cop out. You make me sick...

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#184876 Nov 16, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Red herring.
But it's OK, I accept your apology.
Just try not to do it again.
At least you've cut out the 'baby beater' and 'wife beater' nonsense.

I'll give ya credit for that.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#184877 Nov 16, 2013
<quoted text>
Was this an example?
Yes.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#184878 Nov 16, 2013
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
Any time you're stuck for an answer, you do this. Another sleazy Christian cop out. You make me sick...
Then my work here is progressing nicely.

Since: Sep 08

Rocky Ford, CO

#184880 Nov 16, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
They do not understand what you are saying, Dave.
So they pretend they do, and ridicule it.
They see with eyes and hear with ears, identifying themselves with the image.
You identify you - the one hearing and seeing.
They say "I am X"
You don't identify with X. You identify with "I am".
An experience that shakes a person, like near-death, disentangles the identity "I Am" from the nightmare of form. A new dimension of consciousness arrives, and you yield to it, you open up.
You will be aligned with consciousness itself, not the objects of consciousness.
You wait and rest there. In the peace of God.
I was doing such long before the experience, but it clinched a few things.

You can't see, understand, or worship a Creator or Creative force until you quit worshipping Man. Topix atheists are stuck there.
Anon

Lakewood, OH

#184881 Nov 16, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Perhaps that God decided to quit going to them and gave them the opportunity for them to come to him, at great personal sacrifice. Can get tiresome destroying and throwing thunderbolts, etc.
The Jesus story is of a god that invested a part of itself in its creation that it vowed to not destroy again. It felt the pain its creations did. God grew in its understanding also.
If you want to be an intellectual start thinking more deeply.
How deeply can one think about events which never took place? God grew in understanding? You're fond of making things up as you go along, aren't you? Anyway, 2000 years of silence does not bode well for any diety.

Redondo Beach, CA

#184882 Nov 16, 2013
Atheists are horrible wrote:
<quoted text>
Typical prick from Cowardfornia spewing out his hatred again. Every corrupt lifestyle is derived from your state.
I will have none of this.

Catcher white sheet promptly drops.

Arrivederci 'Bama.

Redondo Beach, CA

#184883 Nov 16, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
I was doing such long before the experience, but it clinched a few things.
You can't see, understand, or worship a Creator or Creative force until you quit worshipping Man. Topix atheists are stuck there.
What's with this worship crap?

Pastor Catcher worships no gods and no man.
Anon

Lakewood, OH

#184884 Nov 16, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Then my work here is progressing nicely.
What work? You really believe you're on a mission? Your delusions have no limits...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 6 min Cheech the Conser... 1,478,930
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 1 hr Trojan 32,711
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 1 hr Into The Night 10,654
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Sun RiccardoFire 201,892
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) Sun cpeter1313 313,187
News Western Michigan heads to Illinois as a favorite Jan 14 Buffalo Bull 74
I got my loan from [email protected] (Jun '13) Dec 20 san isidro company 42
More from around the web