Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 20 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#184709 Nov 16, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
I stand by my use of the word proof. Human chrocmosome 2 and other DNA evidence constitute proof that humans and the other extant great apes descended from a common ancestor as there is no other reasonable interpretation of that evidence.
There is one absurd possibility, however: a trickster god that created man and the apes to appear to have evolved from a common ancestor. Perhaps you are clinging to that.
Incidentally, even that interpretation rules out the Christian god, who is said to want to be known and loved by man, not a deceptive demon misleading them into rejection of the claims made for him. This would be yet another of the disproofs of the Christian god, something you called impossible a few posts back.
You are wrong.

God or no god, there are other reasonable explanations for the characteristics of chromosome 2.

Common ancestry is one explanation.

It surprises no one that it is the favorite.

Your statement of "proof" is incorrect.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#184710 Nov 16, 2013

Then they must have created themselves or formed spontaneously.
Or they were created the same way you & I were.

Just sayin.
Isn't that considered criminal behavior in American courts - to be aware of crimes about to happen, have the power to prevent them, and do nothing?
Lol. Criminal behavior?
How much worse off would we be if only Satan existed? Not much from the sound of it.
You'll find out one day.
You wouldn't want to change anything about a character like that, would you?
You have now described things your god can't, didn't and won't do.
So? I've made plenty of comments about things God can't do. Is this your first time reading them?
Not with that character. You have to be lovable if people are going to love you by choice. What part of this god that you describe is lovable?
Every part.
What can your god do?
Create. Love. Comfort. Encourage. Care. Take away your worries, etc.

Oh, and grant you eternal life.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#184711 Nov 16, 2013
<quoted text>
I don't object to killing. I object to suffering. Life is different from mind. Bacteria are alive, and we deliberately kill them with antibiotics with no ethical misgivings because they do not have minds with which to suffer. The lawn is alive, and we mow it anyway without compunction.
But a zebra being chased down by a hungry lion is in sheer breathless terror until it is in agonizing pain. It's disheartening that you couldn't make that distinction yourself.
No, I get that. And I agree with ya.

But snapping a chicken's neck is a painless as ripping an apple off a tree.

Location hidden

#184712 Nov 16, 2013
<quoted text>
This is what I was referring to. You don't deal with this kind of dissent without making a scene.
I wasn't dissent.

It was insult.

I won't invest the time in explaining the difference.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#184713 Nov 16, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I am referring to the same thing I referred to when I referred to it.
And I used terms I thought you would understand.
Except you couldn't prove the god you're lying to us about

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#184714 Nov 16, 2013
<quoted text>
He certainly does. Here's more, and it sounds like what we just read from this poster:
GOD AS ABUSER: Similarities Between the Christian God and Abusive Spouses
http://atheism.about.com/od/whatisgod/p/Abuse...
"Part of the process of encouraging the victim to feel inadequate involves getting them to feel that they really do deserve the abuse ... God is described as being justified in punishing humanity.
"Abusers instill fear in their spouses; believers are instructed to fear God.
"Abusers are unpredictable and given to dramatic mood swings; God is depicted as alternating between love and violence.
"Abused spouses avoid topics which set off the abuser; believers avoid thinking about certain things to avoid angering God.
"Abusers make one feel like there is no way to escape a relationship; believers are told that there is no way to escape Godís wrath and eventual punishment.
"God is usually described as jealous and unable to handle it when people turn away.
"God is portrayed as using violence to force people to comply with certain rules and Hell is the ultimate threat of violence. God might even punish an entire nation for the transgressions of a few members.
"By getting [people] to feel worthless, helpless, and unable to do anything right, they will lack the self-confidence necessary to stand up to the abuser and resist the abuse. Believers are taught that they are depraved sinners, unable to do anything right and unable to have good, decent, or moral lives independent of God. Everything good that a believer achieves is due to God, not their own efforts.
"[V]ictims are told that itís their fault when an abuser gets angry ... Humanity is also blamed for everything that goes wrong"
==========
Another take on this subject:
GOD: THE ABUSIVE BOYFRIEND
http://conversationalatheist.com/general-essa...
Ways the Christian God is like the most extreme version of an abusive (and possibly psychotic) boyfriend:
[1] Needs constant praise.
[2] Makes you feel guilty for just being human.
[3] Has severe jealousy issues.
[4] He lets painful experiences happen to you that he could easily prevent, just to test your devotion to Him.
[5] Claims credit for everything good in your life; claims nothing bad in your life comes from Him.
[6] Threatens you with eternal torture if you ever leave Him.
[7] He is constantly swearing that He loves you and you need Him.
Ways to tell if you are in danger of being taken advantage of in a relationship with this abusive God:
[8] You are highly defensive of Him from even the slightest criticism of His flaws.
[9] You talk to Him every night, and He never responds yet still expects unwavering devotion.
Well that's strange.

Atheists don't understand God or Scripture.

Imagine that.

Location hidden

#184715 Nov 16, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
More than 1,000,000 Californians have had their health insurance canceled thanks to the Unaffordable Care Act.
I'm one of em.
F_ck Hussein.
Racism is no excuse for having no proof of god.

Location hidden

#184716 Nov 16, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
You are mistaken again.
You have not, and cannot, disprove the god.
You can disprove "something", then claim you disproved the god, as you have done many times.
You should have known someone would come along smart enough to call you on the subterfuge.
Leonard Mlodinow, Quantum Physicist, Atheist, co-author with Stephen Hawking:
"As a scientist, I can tell you, science cannot tell you either way whether there is a god or not a god".
I think Dr. Mlodinow knows more about what science can do than you.
Now you can hedge and admit you can't disprove "god", but can disprove a particular god, as in the christian god.
No, you can't. You can only disprove alleged incidents and descriptions made by human beings.
Then, as is the habit, you will try to drown the distinctions in a sea of unrelated words.
Atheism is a simple disbelief in the lies that religious people tell.

Location hidden

#184717 Nov 16, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
You are wrong.
God or no god, there are other reasonable explanations for the characteristics of chromosome 2.
Common ancestry is one explanation.
It surprises no one that it is the favorite.
Your statement of "proof" is incorrect.
Evolution is a fact and idiots who deny it should be in the evolution forum being idiots.

Location hidden

#184718 Nov 16, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Create. Love. Comfort. Encourage. Care. Take away your worries, etc.
Oh, and grant you eternal life.
Stupid creationist cult lies. There is no such thing as god and nobody can if you those things unless you are honest with yourself.

Its a wonder why creationists try to promise their made up god in the age of science.

Science shows you people to be stupid when it comes to being honest about facts.

Accept that your 2005 cult died because of its mentally ill followers

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#184719 Nov 16, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Racism is no excuse for having no proof of god.
LMAO!!

Yesterday, atheists in another thread were telling me that people don't call other people racist for not liking Hussein.

I say 'f_ck Hussein' and you call me a racist for it.

Notice that, TIMN??

Location hidden

#184720 Nov 16, 2013
<quoted text>
This is what I was referring to. You don't deal with this kind of dissent without making a scene.
This is what I was referring to.

When it suits, you call things something totally different than what they clearly are.

This was one of what Aristotle called "Sophisms" of argument. The verbal sophism is the use of improper terms.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#184721 Nov 16, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
you cannot disprove the Christian god

Many people have in many different ways, although it would not have been necessary to do so in order to reject the claims made on its behalf.
Seriously, IANS?

If you could disprove the Christian God, you would literally change the world.

You'd be the top headline of every media outlet in the world.

You'd probably even get a spot on Oprah.

So g'head. Change the world, disprove God.

We'll wait.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#184722 Nov 16, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Stupid creationist cult lies. There is no such thing as god and nobody can if you those things unless you are honest with yourself.
Its a wonder why creationists try to promise their made up god in the age of science.
Science shows you people to be stupid when it comes to being honest about facts.
Accept that your 2005 cult died because of its mentally ill followers
Your meaningless opinion is duly noted.

I'm curious though, where does your anger and fear of Christians come from? You sem to be suffering from Christophobia.....

Location hidden

#184723 Nov 16, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>

Stupid creationist cult lies. There is no such thing as god...
Septic, this statement makes you either a liar or a god.

Either way, you are wrong.

Which is it?

Do you want me to conclude you are a liar or a god?

To warn you, if you choose wanting to be seen as a god, it cuts badly against your claim that there is no god.

Do you need time to think about it?

You might think more effectively if you pull your thumb out of your ass.

Location hidden

#184724 Nov 16, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Evolution is a fact and idiots who deny it should be in the evolution forum being idiots.
Show me where I denied evolution, you womp-jawed moron.

Location hidden

#184725 Nov 16, 2013
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
Odd that one of your great atheist bugaboos, Richard Dawkins, rejects your definition and agrees with me. Read his "The God Delusion".
Dawkins claims to be an agonostic.

He also lies, Infinite Donut Boy.

Atheism, from the Greek a-theos ("no-god"), is the philosophical position that God doesn't exist. It is distinguished from agnosticism, the argument that it is impossible to know whether God exists or not (Academic American Encyclopedia).
Atheism, system of thought developed around the denial of God's existence. Atheism, so defined, first appeared during the Enlightenment, the age of reason (Random House Encyclopedia-1977).
Atheism is the doctrine that there is no God.(Oxford Companion to Philosophy-1995).
Atheism (Greek, a-[private prefix]+ theos, god) is the view that there is no divine being, no God (Dictionary of Philosophy, Thomas Mautner, Editor-1996).
Atheism is the belief that God doesn't exist (The World Book Encyclopedia-1991).
Atheism, commonly speaking, is the denial of God. Theism (from the Greek theos, God) is belief in or conceptualization of God, atheism is the rejection of such belief or conceptualization.In the ancient world atheism was rarely a clearly formulated position (Encyclopedia Americana-1990).
Atheism, the critique and denial of metaphysical beliefs in God or spiritual beings. Atheism is to be distinguished from agnosticism, which leaves open whether there is a god or not, professing to find the question unanswerable, for the atheist, the non-existence of god is a certainty (The New Encyclopedia Britannia-1993).
According to the most usual definition, an atheist is a person who maintains that there is no godÖ(rejects eccentric definitions of the word)(The Encyclopedia of Philosophy-1967).
Atheism is the doctrine that God does not exist, that belief in the existence of God is a false belief. The word God here refers to a divine being regarded as the independent creator of the world, a being superlatively powerful, wise and good (Encyclopedia of Religion-1987).
Atheism (Greek and Roman): Atheism is a dogmatic creed, consisting in the denial of every kind of supernatural power. Atheism has not often been seriously maintained at any period of civilized thought (Encyclopedia of Religion and Ethics-Vol II).
Atheism denies the existence of deity (Funk and Wagnall's New Encyclopedia-Vol I).

Location hidden

#184726 Nov 16, 2013
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>

BTW...I see you are still having to put up with Buck. How sad.
Yes. How sad indeed.

Bwahahahahahahaahahahahah....

Buck Crick wrote:

<quoted text>
There is a contradiction unless you use different rules.

Darwin's Stepchild wrote:

No contradiction. The contradiction arises IF you try to use the same rules.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#184727 Nov 16, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Dawkins claims to be an agonostic.
He also lies, Infinite Donut Boy.
Atheism, from the Greek a-theos ("no-god"), is the philosophical position that God doesn't exist. It is distinguished from agnosticism, the argument that it is impossible to know whether God exists or not (Academic American Encyclopedia).
Atheism, system of thought developed around the denial of God's existence. Atheism, so defined, first appeared during the Enlightenment, the age of reason (Random House Encyclopedia-1977).
Atheism is the doctrine that there is no God.(Oxford Companion to Philosophy-1995).
Atheism (Greek, a-[private prefix]+ theos, god) is the view that there is no divine being, no God (Dictionary of Philosophy, Thomas Mautner, Editor-1996).
Atheism is the belief that God doesn't exist (The World Book Encyclopedia-1991).
Atheism, commonly speaking, is the denial of God. Theism (from the Greek theos, God) is belief in or conceptualization of God, atheism is the rejection of such belief or conceptualization.In the ancient world atheism was rarely a clearly formulated position (Encyclopedia Americana-1990).
Atheism, the critique and denial of metaphysical beliefs in God or spiritual beings. Atheism is to be distinguished from agnosticism, which leaves open whether there is a god or not, professing to find the question unanswerable, for the atheist, the non-existence of god is a certainty (The New Encyclopedia Britannia-1993).
According to the most usual definition, an atheist is a person who maintains that there is no godÖ(rejects eccentric definitions of the word)(The Encyclopedia of Philosophy-1967).
Atheism is the doctrine that God does not exist, that belief in the existence of God is a false belief. The word God here refers to a divine being regarded as the independent creator of the world, a being superlatively powerful, wise and good (Encyclopedia of Religion-1987).
Atheism (Greek and Roman): Atheism is a dogmatic creed, consisting in the denial of every kind of supernatural power. Atheism has not often been seriously maintained at any period of civilized thought (Encyclopedia of Religion and Ethics-Vol II).
Atheism denies the existence of deity (Funk and Wagnall's New Encyclopedia-Vol I).
What the hell are you doing, man?

You're not supposed to use a dictionary, just make it up as you go.

Atheist:
noun

A person who attacks others because they have a religion.
Bongo

Coram, NY

#184728 Nov 16, 2013
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
This does not address my point at all. Completely sidesteps it. Whether you agree with Dawkins or not on the validity of atheism, he clearly defines atheism as I do, that atheists claim that a god is an extremely unlikely thing given the total lack of evidence.
Your claim is that atheists say categorically, "there is no god." This is not Dawkins' definition of atheism.
BTW..."The book is Pure speculation."
Is this your opinion formed from having read the book? Or is it the opinion that has been given you by your Christian authorities? If the latter, is it not dishonest to write as if it is your own opinion?
The claim God is a delusion is pure speculation. Who could prove that there is no creator?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min John Galt 1,224,657
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 4 hr Brilliant Chicky 309,759
mark moel loan house is here for you to uptain ... (Sep '13) 14 hr robert walker 6
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) Mon tom wingo 29,725
How to Recover Deleted or lost Contacts from Sa... Apr 29 Sauck freedom 6
News Freshman Jonah Bolden declared ineligible for U... (Sep '14) Apr 29 tom wingo 4
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) Apr 27 TerryE 5,306
More from around the web