Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#184386 Nov 15, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Classic creationist propoganda - instead of admitting you're a liar with no proof of god, you try to change the subject away from this fact, by bringing in a broader comparison.
That's an odd concession speech.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#184387 Nov 15, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Who's 'we'? All I can see is a coward liar with no proof of god running scared from the question because he already knows the answer
Why don't you just put your mom's balls on and ask me the question?

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#184388 Nov 15, 2013
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> we didn't have a choice in what we were born into. Billions of animals killed daily for our consumption didn't either, and we take no thought for them.
Why do you suppose a loving god would create a world in which carnivores prey on other (conscious) animals? Why isn't nature all vegetarian?

For me, the answer is because it was not designed. Nobody chose this.

What is the answer for you?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#184389 Nov 15, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Yes, hell.
There is no excuse for keeping a soul alive for eternity just to make it suffer, and for no better reason that it failed to worship you. I can hardly think of a worse thing to do. Can you?
Are you willing to believe that a creature that does that is infinitely loving?
Why did he build hell? Why did he create Satan or unleash him on earth and mankind? Why did he reward him with dominion over hell and souls to torture?
Why would you trust such a creature to keep its promises?
God didn't create Satan any more than He created Hitler or Dahmer. Satan chose his own path and God chose not to interfere.

God has the power to prevent you from Hell, yes. He can do anything He wants. But God can't do anything that would violate His character. Thatís why He canít make us love Him,

God canít overlook our sins, and even though He would like to, He canít save atheists who think theyíre too smart to believe in Him.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#184390 Nov 15, 2013
<quoted text>
Why do you suppose a loving god would create a world in which carnivores prey on other (conscious) animals? Why isn't nature all vegetarian?
For me, the answer is because it was not designed. Nobody chose this.
What is the answer for you?
Is it more appropriate to kill a plant and eat it than kill an animal and eat it?

Either way, you kill something for food...

Fennario

#184391 Nov 15, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
It is no accident that atheist based societies have, the human rights issues they do.
Which would you rather live in, a secular democracy or a Christian theocracy?

The people of Salem, Massachusetts had both. Maybe we should ask them.

You seem to think that Christians are safe. They're not.

Fennario

#184392 Nov 15, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
Perhaps I am not facing bad karma as you are, and therefore eternal existence is a positive thing. I do feel as some of your sort do have souls, and just want life to end, the soul would rather be no more than face the music.
If your god exists, you're in deep trouble. We all are.

Why do you trust such a creature? Why do you believe its promises about the afterlife? Has it kept all of its promises concerning this life? Do you know what promises it told? Did it tell the truth about the history of the universe and of life on earth?
Thinking

UK

#184393 Nov 15, 2013
If your all powerful god exists, then yes. Absolutely.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you believe God causes the suffering?
<quoted text>
As I have no cognitive dissonance, I have to answer no.

Fennario

#184394 Nov 15, 2013
http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T...
Robert Stevens wrote:
Let me take a moment to explain to you why you are wasting your time. 1) Atheism as a proven fact, does mean we have nothing left to learn. 2) There is knowledge, that have to be rimed. 3) Knowledge denied and burned. 4) a society that does not stray, if atheist are in enough control. No new advancements. It is why I believe, if nature wants the human race to expire, we will evolve into soulless atheist. On that note ask yourself, does nature find us dangerous? My answer is. It's cleanup time.
Two people have called this post of yours interesting, brilliant, and helpful at the 3hr old mark. To me, it's not even intelligible until it becomes ominous right at the end. What could they like about this?

What a human wasteland this religion of yours generates where it is able to.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#184395 Nov 15, 2013
Thinking wrote:
If your all powerful god exists, then yes. Absolutely.
<quoted text>
If you think God causes suffering then you must also believe that God causes happiness.

Do you?
Thinking

UK

#184396 Nov 15, 2013
Not nearly good enough.

You post like a battered wife. "I know he gets angry. You don't understand him. He loves me really."
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
If you think God causes suffering then you must also believe that God causes happiness.
Do you?

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#184397 Nov 15, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
And yet you & I believe in Jesus...
Go figure.
Maybe this story will help.

My mother used to use my difficult birth as a "proof" that I was special and meant to be on this Earth.

It was just her way of saying, "I love you and I cherish you."

I have doubts about the accuracy of my own birth story.
I believe my mother loved me, I don't need to believe the birth story.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#184398 Nov 15, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Not nearly good enough.
You post like a battered wife. "I know he gets angry. You don't understand him. He loves me really."
<quoted text>
You avoided the question.

Coward.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#184399 Nov 15, 2013
http://www.topix.com/forum/rel igion/atheism/TUGI0DVLLAKD7M2H N/post184329
<quoted text>
Two people have called this post of yours interesting, brilliant, and helpful at the 3hr old mark. To me, it's not even intelligible until it becomes ominous right at the end. What could they like about this?
What a human wasteland this religion of yours generates where it is able to.
Your self centered and self gratifying orientation you wish to impose on the massed mind and experience of the human species is indicative of a cancer, Doctor. You are a growth within the body human that only looks to what it desires, and not to the reality this species needs in order to advance. A cancer with delusions of being a superior creature.

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#184400 Nov 15, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheists spend an inordinate amount of time arguing a "non-belief" they all claim to share.
I find it very odd.
That does not change the fact that you make the same tactics and arguments that you accuse them of using.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#184401 Nov 15, 2013
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi, IANS!
I wonder if you are 'awed' nature ? That is to say, appreciate the power and majesty of the world. Can sit and smile during a summer rain or drive in terror through a blizzard. That sort of thing.
Has nothing to do with God or anything. Just something I wondered.
I don't so much "worship" that which I call "God" (for lack of a better word in English) but am in 'awe' of the entire Universe and the laws that govern it.
To me, the mysteries of how two individual cells combine to create every baby in history is more awesome than "God got Mary pregnant".
The again, I never liked magic shows but loved the science behind the illusions.
Anyway, sorry to ramble. I haven't been able to sleep tonight/morning.
I would have to agree-- the real universe is far more amazing than anything **ever** written by the had of mere men.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#184402 Nov 15, 2013
<quoted text>
A pithy way to saying that is that not believing is distinct from believing not.
What do you suppose the motive is behind trying to pressure atheists into abandoning the word "atheist" in self-reference if they are not willing to take the untenable position that the existence of gods is impossible or that the possibility has been definitively ruled out?
I don't think most of the people serving as vectors for this meme have any clear idea why they are arguing the point. But I'm pretty sure that the people that created it and released it into the apologetics echo chamber do, although I'm not clear on what it is.
The motive for trying to make people see evolution as a faith based religion is probably to help give creationism an equal footing in the classroom. But what would be the analogous motive for trying to get us to cease describing ourselves as atheists, or convincing others that we are not? I can't see how that serves the church.
I have a theory about the "atheism is a belief" syndrome.

They wish to try to **justify** belief as a basic idea.

So they are attempting to sweep non-believers into their believer's camp.

It just doesn't work-- atheists typically become atheists out of recognition that belief-without-facts is irrational.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#184403 Nov 15, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. within the next 15-25 years, I think science will solve the mystery of time and humans will be capable of traversing the planes ..
.. do you think time is linear ??..
I sincerely hope I live long enough to see something akin to "warp drive" or "wormhole travel".

I think the odds are very long, though.

However, if I do live so long? I fully expect to discover the cosmos is populated by life **everywhere**. Not necessarily **intelligent** life as we know it, but life nonetheless.

I also think that dolphins and other sea-mammals are equally as intelligent as humans-- but without artificial memories (writing, literature, books) they cannot construct a civilization that rivals ours.

On the other hand? They may well have some form of civilization-- just one that's different than what humans call "great".

If (when) humans get out into the galaxy? If that ever becomes possible? I expect they will find intelligences that are so different than our own, that we won't even recognize it as such.

I hope that we don't commit our usual faux paus when meeting a new civilization for the first time....

... it could prove ... tragic, for humans.

;)

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#184404 Nov 15, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. yes, words are important ..
.. if you say someone is dead, it can have a myriad of meanings. They may be physically, spiritually or intellectually dead ..
.. in America, an atheist may be described as someone who rejects the Abrahamic God ..
.. why is your interpretation of any word the correct one? I do not understand the logic. What does it accomplish ??..
The poor Buckster is a classic narcissist with severe poor self-image issues.

As such? He simply **has** to be right-- no matter what.

He takes it as a personal blow, everytime he's proven to be wrong.

So much so, he literally rejects actual reality if needed, to continue to harbor his "rightness".

Kinda funny to watch-- but sad, too.
Bongo

Coram, NY

#184405 Nov 15, 2013
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Yes, hell.
There is no excuse for keeping a soul alive for eternity just to make it suffer, and for no better reason that it failed to worship you. I can hardly think of a worse thing to do. Can you?
Are you willing to believe that a creature that does that is infinitely loving?
Why did he build hell? Why did he create Satan or unleash him on earth and mankind? Why did he reward him with dominion over hell and souls to torture?
Why would you trust such a creature to keep its promises?
He never lied. Even said don't eat of this tree or else. Maybe souls cant be extinguished. Is hell built? Giving free will seems to be a problem. All reasonable questions. I try to contrast those with the great difference between a diety and man which is a greater difference than man and animals, insects etc. that We kill and destroy without thought. We've been given a promise if we don't accept it you've outlined the consequence. In the garden there was no death . After the fall God had to provide the first skins to cover them, what a horror it must have been. Hes changing the system, theres going to be a new heaven and new earth. Patience, after all were talking eternity.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 6 min No Surprize 1,144,048
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 52 min RoSesz 306,596
What role do you think humans play in global wa... 2 hr Fair Game 2,190
UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 7 hr Bruin For Life 28,242
Should child beauty pageants be banned? 10 hr Star On 47 646
Pat Summitt files for divorce after 27 years of... (Aug '07) Tue Mr bobo 145
Haas Leads Purdue Past Grambling State, 82-30 Nov 22 ngzcaz 1

NCAA Basketball People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE