Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 257121 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#183717 Nov 13, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>

Whatever else it is, atheism remains skepticism for unsupported god claims.
No, it isn't.

"Skepticism" concerning a god-claim would be to doubt or suspend judgement.

The atheist believes all god-claims have to be false.

Atheism has nothing to do with skepticism.

Thinking

Royston, UK

#183718 Nov 13, 2013
Why would you?
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
You couldn't recommend a sabbatical to a fish.

Location hidden

#183719 Nov 13, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
This is your Christian upbringing shining through. It was the church that taught you that the self is evil. You were taught that free will is to be subordinated to others, and that failure to do so is due to an inflated, rebellious ego. The model for that was a woman daring to eat an apple.
You have it backwards:
Refusing to submit to the authority of priests speaking for an imaginary god is not a problem with the ego. Seeing oneself as having meaning, purpose and value apart from the worship of a god is not a problem with the ego. Placing value in autonomy, freedom, self-respect, self-pride, self-confidence and self-actualization is not a problem with the ego.
Seeing yourself as being defective and worthy of punishment for having been born human IS a problem with the ego. Falling to your knees and lowering your head and eyes to beg forgiveness for that IS a problem with the ego.
The "ego" is not the "self".

That error invalidates your post.

“MEET KIKI -She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#183720 Nov 13, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. then why do atheists say, "I don't believe in God" ??..
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
They don't-- that's a strawman.
They say they do not have faith in gods.
Very different.
But I doubt you get it-- if you could? You'd be reasonable.
And?
All reasonable people are atheists.
.. what makes you think I wouldn't get it ??..

.. most atheists I know have said, "I'm atheist," or "I don't believe in God." ..

.. are you saying all believers are unreasonable ??..
Thinking

Royston, UK

#183721 Nov 13, 2013
Just because a believer is not reasoning does not mean they are unreasonable in the social meaning of the word.
Happy Lesbo wrote:
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
.. most atheists I know have said, "I'm atheist," or "I don't believe in God." ..

Location hidden

#183722 Nov 13, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Blob crossed himself up.

He inadvertently disclaimed his own position.

He won't realize it.

Location hidden

#183723 Nov 13, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Why would you?
<quoted text>
Why would I what?

Since: Sep 10

Redondo Beach, CA

#183724 Nov 13, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would I what?
Why wouldn't you what?

Whatting can be fun, if you do it correctly.

“When you treat people as they ”

Since: Nov 10

treat you they get offended.

#183725 Nov 13, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Not to mention the possibility there is life that can develop outside of the Goldilocks zone, or in higher dimensions, or in dark matter or parallel universes or... I could just say "god dunnit" but that seems so very unimaginative.
<quoted text>
Just considering the form of life we know, there could very easily be alternatives to carbon/water/goldilocks. Given what is known about the ability of carbon based life to exist in extreme and hostile environments then I see no reason to discount alternatives

And true (real true, not Christian “True”), the “doh, I don’ unnerstan’ so it muss be my god wot dunit by magic” just does not make a lot of since in the real world of reality

“When you treat people as they ”

Since: Nov 10

treat you they get offended.

#183726 Nov 13, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Why wouldn't you what?
Whatting can be fun, if you do it correctly.
what?
Thinking

Royston, UK

#183727 Nov 13, 2013
Blasphemer!

;)
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Just considering the form of life we know, there could very easily be alternatives to carbon/water/goldilocks. Given what is known about the ability of carbon based life to exist in extreme and hostile environments then I see no reason to discount alternatives
And true (real true, not Christian “True”), the “doh, I don’ unnerstan’ so it muss be my god wot dunit by magic” just does not make a lot of since in the real world of reality
LCNLin

United States

#183728 Nov 13, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>

Amusing mumbo jumbo in second paragraph LOL
Thinking

Royston, UK

#183729 Nov 13, 2013
What what!
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
what?

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#183730 Nov 13, 2013
There is not now, nor has there ever been, any proof that any of the thousands of gods ever worshiped actually existed.

Atheism requires no faith at all.
LCNLin

United States

#183731 Nov 13, 2013
which is why atheism must be defended all day on topix
LOL

With Established Harem

#183732 Nov 13, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Just because a believer is not reasoning does not mean they are unreasonable in the social meaning of the word.
<quoted text>
.. what does reasoning have to do with belief ??..

.. if you catch the scent of a Dianthus flower in full bloom, you may pause, feel elated, even free. There's no rhyme or reason to it. Would you say your experience was spiritual or reasonable ??..

.. sure, you can try to explain the phenomenon and intimate olfactory functioning but what accounts for your sense of happiness, bliss ??..

.. since there are exceptions, it seems the claim that believers cannot reason is a misnomer and limits the human condition, the unexplainable innate spirituality of all humans. To deny it is to deny self ..

Location hidden

#183733 Nov 13, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
As opposed to which other world of reality?

I mean, besides the real one.

Location hidden

#183734 Nov 13, 2013
Just Think wrote:
There is not now, nor has there ever been, any proof that any of the thousands of gods ever worshiped actually existed.
Why do you say "any proof"?

If there is "proof", how does the quantity of proof matter?

If there is not "proof", how does the lack of any particular quantity matter?

Location hidden

#183735 Nov 13, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. what does reasoning have to do with belief ??..
.. if you catch the scent of a Dianthus flower in full bloom, you may pause, feel elated, even free. There's no rhyme or reason to it. Would you say your experience was spiritual or reasonable ??..
.. sure, you can try to explain the phenomenon and intimate olfactory functioning but what accounts for your sense of happiness, bliss ??..
.. since there are exceptions, it seems the claim that believers cannot reason is a misnomer and limits the human condition, the unexplainable innate spirituality of all humans. To deny it is to deny self ..
Ouch. They are more comfortable refuting Noah's ark.

With Established Harem

#183736 Nov 13, 2013
Just Think wrote:
.. you must reduce your position to agnosticism or you're taking a leap of faith ..

.. think about it ..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 8 min mdbuilder 1,431,734
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 15 min Patriot AKA Bozo 10,086
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 25 min Brian_G 311,869
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 7 hr Les Miles 32,401
News Western Michigan heads to Illinois as a favorite Sep 18 Go Blue Forever 1
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Sep 10 yess 201,881
News UCLA Basketball: Grad Transfer Octeus to Bruins (Jun '14) Aug 31 Trojan 2
More from around the web