Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258490 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#183677 Nov 12, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
Atheist are always praising evolution. Not once have they claimed evolution is responsible for all these horrendous diseases that plague mankind. Nope, they blame that all on God. Even though they say he doesn’t exist.
Let’s all interlock our fingers and sit down and chant,
“evoluuuuuuuuuuuuuuuution.“
You, on the other hand, who foolishly choose to reject scientific fact, posit that your GOD simply created all, that would include humans and parasitic organisms. What God would create a human and then create millions of parasitic organism that attack this human body, and FORGET to include an adequate defense mechanism for his human creation? My favorite God created organism is the parasitic worm that burrows into the eyeballs of children. Holy shit, your God just hates little kids doesn't he? Maybe George Carlin was right, "Maybe he just doesn't give a shit." After examining ALL of the parasitic organisms for which we have little or no defense, I'm inclined to agree with old George.!!!!!

Or, the rational mind accepts the facts on evolution and understands the relationship between all living things.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#183678 Nov 12, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
If you think earth is a utopia, you never been to Ludlow Alabama in the summer.
And you also never been to the Danville Correctional Facility for the Criminally Insane.
Try that.
Yes, we make our own social heaven and hell, I think there is a difference between social, utopia, and a utopia of life,. Again there is no other planet in the known Universe that has the diversity and abundance as planet Earth.There is no where else life as we know it can reproduce as it does here.The Earth is our only home, and we shit all over it.

“ad victoriam”

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#183679 Nov 12, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
All of the above.
You have a ways to go yet, Yoda boy.
I garnish the hope of hearing something that will rationally make sense about the origins of life and the rise of man. But there only seems to be black and white, the grey is considered crazy.
I believe nothing but don't fall into the bible god or the pure naturally causes. But I'm not crazy, I just have no evidence to make any claims. I think something is out there though, just not sure what it is.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#183680 Nov 13, 2013
spudgun wrote:
<quoted text>
Good call. Topix is full of fake Christians. Talk the talk, but fail to walk the walk.
Yep.

Any of them who are against SNAP (food stamps), welfare or ACA?

Are fakes. At the end of Matthew, in their own silly book, they are given a commission: to feed the hungry, to house the homeless and to help the sick.

Fakes, the entire lot.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#183681 Nov 13, 2013
spudgun wrote:
Thinking back to Remembrance Day (Veterans). What causes all these wars? Oh yes, its politics and religion, the scourge of mankind!
Yep.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#183682 Nov 13, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. then why do atheists say, "I don't believe in God" ??..
They don't-- that's a strawman.

They say they do not have faith in gods.

Very different.

But I doubt you get it-- if you could? You'd be reasonable.

And?

All reasonable people are atheists.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#183683 Nov 13, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
You need to go to a all night prayer meeting.
\

Why? So I can be abused and then shot/hung?

That **is** what your people have done, historically, to my people.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#183684 Nov 13, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
You need to go to a all night prayer meeting.
And you are still a fake christian wannabe...

... you are.

It is kinda sad.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#183685 Nov 13, 2013
Mikko wrote:
Abandoning this thread due to christarded trolls Buck Crick,Dave Nelson, Eagle 12.
Yep.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#183686 Nov 13, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>I went to one of Eagle's all night prayer meetings, there were 147 amputees who had been there praying for 50 years, nothing yet!!!!50 parent with down syndrome children also there, been there for 5 years, nothing yet for them either, however there was a women who had lost her house keys and prayed, sure enough, her prayers WERE answered, she found them under the seat of the car........AMAZING.PRAISE THE LORD!!!!!!!
You took a great risk-- they have a tendency to hang/shoot nonbelievers at such gatherings.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#183687 Nov 13, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I just want you to know people do change and have the right to change their view. No need to get all upset because a fellow atheist converted.
You have a long record of lying. So your fabricated and fictional tale is simply not believed.

You posted no links...

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#183688 Nov 13, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
If there is no God as you and your buddy Fred claim. Then all these atrocities were done by mankind. We must assume Fred is of the human race. So Fred’s fellow man did all these horrible things. What’s Fred going to do now?
Leave the human race?
Of ***course** all the atrocities were done by humans.

It was **religion** that enabled otherwise good people, to commit such evil acts.

Since no religion has any gods behind them-- demonstratively so--

-- if any one DID?

That one would be the ONLY ONE LEFT.

What mere human agency could compete with one with a **real** god behind it?

No-- there are no gods behind any religion.

Especially yours; no self-respecting deity would allow **you** to represent it's interests.

(now I will wait for your usual hate-speech in reply, usually something involving your azz....)

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#183689 Nov 13, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
Atheist are always praising evolution. Not once have they claimed evolution is responsible for all these horrendous diseases that plague mankind. Nope, they blame that all on God. Even though they say he doesn’t exist.
Let’s all interlock our fingers and sit down and chant,
Why? I find that chanting and religious ritual is as empty as your no-show god.

Besides... nobody **worships** evolution.

They just accept it is the most likely explanation; so far.

Unlike you? Scientists and rational people can **change** their minds when presented with actual... facts.

You?

You just **deny** any and all facts that would prove your **faith** is bogus.

Making you?

Insane.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#183690 Nov 13, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> That what you fools do... maybe?
Yep.

The repetitious nature of religion is a requirement: they **must** repeat the lie, in order for the lie to stick.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#183691 Nov 13, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Because this God that YOU believe in is EVIL, and fighting evil is always a worthy cause. Fighting against unsound reasoning and beliefs for no good reason, is also worth the effort. If I'm in a foxhole I want someone there to cover my back and not sit and pray to a fictitious being for help. I've posted this to you before, pay attention!!! People who believe in things without evidence are a danger to not only themselves but to others.
To wish someone eternal punishment because they don't believe as you, to flying a plane into a building is not a big a step as you might think.
Correct.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#183692 Nov 13, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>"Good men will do good things, and bad men will do evil things, but to get a good man to do evil, this takes religion."
Men are only men and like all men have their flaws. Greed, lust, seeking power, self-centered, all undesirable traits, but are these the traits an all loving God should possess? The first 4 commandments deal with your Gods inflated sense of vanity. If I believed in a God I would NOT expect him?she/it to be vain, capricious, prone to temper tantrums, and completely uncaring. This is exactly the kind of GOD you believe in. Thankfully no such monster exists.
As someone once said, "If God is real then he has a lot of explaining to do."
Yep, again-- religion is the tool that evil men use to get good people to do **great** evil.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#183693 Nov 13, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>You, on the other hand, who foolishly choose to reject scientific fact, posit that your GOD simply created all, that would include humans and parasitic organisms. What God would create a human and then create millions of parasitic organism that attack this human body, and FORGET to include an adequate defense mechanism for his human creation? My favorite God created organism is the parasitic worm that burrows into the eyeballs of children. Holy shit, your God just hates little kids doesn't he? Maybe George Carlin was right, "Maybe he just doesn't give a shit." After examining ALL of the parasitic organisms for which we have little or no defense, I'm inclined to agree with old George.!!!!!
Or, the rational mind accepts the facts on evolution and understands the relationship between all living things.
Correct again.

Rational people are willing to **change** their views-- when presented with sufficient **facts**.

Contrast this with **religion** which **must** deny actual reality itself, to cling to their stupid and ludicrous beliefs.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#183694 Nov 13, 2013
Anon wrote:
The concept of atheist "churches" is absurd, yet it's catching on in England, and apparently some American losers are now joining the bandwagon. Read the original link.
I agree with you about sharing language with faith based thinkers. They work hard to try to conflate reason with faith, and to characterize rationalist ideologies like secular humanism as religions. We certainly don't need to be calling a place where unbelievers meet a church. We stand for something that is distinct, and in my opinion, superior.
Thinking

Royston, UK

#183695 Nov 13, 2013
Dave, what is your avatar? Is it to support the remake of the Three Stooges?
Dave Nelson wrote:
http://www.thinkatheist.com/fo rum/topics/atheist-dog-tags-vs -no?id=1982180%3ATopic%3A42512 7&page=1#comments
This is a good example of how most new "atheism" is a socio-political movement and not a "non-belief".
Read the comments. "Two" atheists hit the nail on the head.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#183696 Nov 13, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
You are too radicalized to be a rational skeptic.
It is something you try to associate yourself with, not practice.
Thank you for your unsupported opinions. You know how much I treasure them and your generosity of spirit.
Dave Nelson wrote:
Plus you mistakenly associate it with "science". Science isn't "skeptical", it just tries to be rational.
I'm afraid that that's incorrect, Dave.

Rational skepticism is the cardinal philosophical tenet that transformed the magical, faith based practices of the Middle Ages such as alchemy and astrology into the empirical sciences of chemistry and astronomy. It required skepticism for the claims of magicians, priests, and wizards, and the application of reason to evidence to transform those sterile products of faith into the robust sciences you see today.

Rational skepticism is the best idea man ever had, and faith the worst:

"Humanity's first sin was faith. The first virtue was doubt.”- Mike Huben
Dave Nelson wrote:
You are a frustrated elitist wannabe.
This bitterness and envy are unbecoming, Dave. Plus, they are unhealthy. You're projecting your own sense of inferiority when you use the word "elite" in reference to me. I don't think of myself that way. Nor do I think of you as low class. You do.

And no, Dave, I am not frustrated at all. I am happy. It would be ungrateful of me to be otherwise given the advantages and opportunities I was born into. I was born at an excellent time in an excellent place to good parents with the health, temperament, and aptitude necessary to take advantage of those opportunities, and I did.

I don't really understand your resentment at who I am. Weren't you also born into mid-twentieth century America with those same advantages and opportunities? If so, you should be happy, too, not resentful. I don't resent you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 min Marcus Washington 1,508,419
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 2 hr silly rabbit 313,639
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 8 hr Life Pharts 32,816
News Western Michigan heads to Illinois as a favorite (Sep '16) Mar 16 MakePhartce 105
News North Carolina Governor Who Signed Bathroom Bil... Mar 15 Bath phart 2
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) Mar 14 Into The Night 11,123
NCAA Basketball Tournament Feb 27 needhelp01 1
More from around the web