Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#183379 Nov 10, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey, I have had the distinct pleasure of using an outhouse before, lol.
So have I and I was probably 10 or 11 before we had a flush toilet in our home, and around 7 or 8 before we had running water, and that would have just been in the kitchen and the adjoining room where my mother had a washing machine and a laundry tub. We bathed in the laundry tub or the kitchen sink. We had a bathtub a few years later, and a shower when I was in high school. My dad's parents, who lived on the same farm, had running water and a flush toilet likely from about 1950 when they built a new home, and we might get to use their toilet and tub (they never had a shower in it), a time or two a year. Back then one bathed once a week whether you needed it or not, and that was after playing in mud, in the barn, in the school yard all day, with no water at the school except what someone delivered every morning in a cream can which was poured into an urn with a water spout used for the occasional person who might want a drink of water every month or so. We never had water in our school until entered grade 9 in high school in town. Our toilets at school were two regular toilets, one in the boys entrance and the other in the girls behind a door in each, which had a big hole dug in the ground under them, much as an outhouse, but not with the wooden seats with the hole cut out, which we did have at all of our homes.

In our home, as long as I remember though, we had a large pail in a closet in my parents' bedroom, in our first house, or under the stairs in the basement of our new second home, with a toilet seat on the top, and the pail had to be manually carried out and dumped over the back fence when it got too heavy for my father to carry, I guess. I think I did carry it out a few times when I was a bit older.

We got newfangled dial phones from Bell part way through 1970, after I graduated from university. Until then we all had the old crank telephones (my maternal grandfather and my mother's brother were the linesmen and telephone repairmen, as well as farmers) one of which is hanging on my wall beside me at this moment. My mother was also the local telephone operator as long as I can remember until Bell took over, and part way through my early life, they put a switch board in a neighboring home, so that each home would operate the community phone lines for a week at a time, except if one or the other needed to go to town when they would ask the other to take over for a while. We kids even operated the telephone switch, because my mother had gardens, babies, and barn work to do too. For church on Sunday, or for special community events, when no one was expected to mind the switch, we would put all the lines together and connected to the town line, so that anyone who had an emergency could just call the town operator, which was always manned, and they would put the call through to a doctor or police.

Location hidden

#183380 Nov 10, 2013
oneear69 wrote:
<quoted text>Unfortunately, you will not realize how wrong you are.You will only live in the memories of your loved ones. Only king Tut, and Elvis get to live forever.
For some of them on this site, the memories they leave with their children may not be pleasant ones either.

Location hidden

#183381 Nov 10, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I can tell you this they don't use satellite tracking. They donít carry a magnetic ship compass.
There internal navigation system is superior than anything man has created. Which leads me to believe they were purposely designed that way. And please spare me the song and dance that evolution did it.
I would have spared you that anyway, because that is not what I would have thought of to say. In fact, the very best I would be able to say, is I don't know how they do it. Similarly I don't really understand how my brain does all the things it does, and I certainly don't know how one can put all of the information in my desktop computer into a little SD card that will fit into a digital camera, and be able to retrieve it again in the same form as you put in. I have a very vague general knowledge of how that it is done, but that is very vague and very general, but I know God didn't do it, but man did (referring to the computer/SD card scenario).

Had I anything other than fictional books to suggest some magical entity, somewhere where it can never be seen, did it, that would be an easy way out, I suppose, but so far all I know we have is what is proving to be fictional. It seems man's imagination has not yet come up with a believable concept, and 'God did it' just doesn't fly any more. That is not intended to link back to your bird question.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#183382 Nov 10, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh I know how Atheist think. My dear sweet Dad was an Atheist most of his life. That is until the very end when he found God.
You may speak for yourself and the others that believe the same as you. As for me and my house. We not only believe, we know for ourselves God is real. Beyond all shadow of doubt.
Well, that is your right and opinion,just as I have mine.But the reality around us, our eco-systems, the very necessities of life are the same for you as they are for me.I do not like or accept the irresponsible thinking that some out side force, is going to save humanity.It is we humans that cause our social suffering and indifference, it is we humans that have developed WMD, polluted our environments for our superficial consumerism.There are over 120 wars in the world today,most because of religious indifference and for control of the resources.So that a small handful gain from the misery of the majority.

“Exercise Your Brain”

Since: Jun 07

Planet Earth

#183383 Nov 10, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>if I were you I'd be ashamed to admit I was Irish. Go have another drink mick!!!!
My great-great grandparents booted out his great-great grandparents, the entire Emerald Isle was ashamed of them;0)

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#183384 Nov 10, 2013
Your anger should not be at the ones, who do not believe in your god, but at the ones who manipulate your religion for their own gains. The failure of religion is not that of us Atheists, but of its own believers.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#183385 Nov 10, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Oh, he's not Irish.
I am, and I know that the Irish educational system is much better than that.
No disrespect to you, some of my best friends are Irish, actually was married to one.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#183386 Nov 10, 2013
oneear69 wrote:
<quoted text>Well, that is your right and opinion,just as I have mine.But the reality around us, our eco-systems, the very necessities of life are the same for you as they are for me.I do not like or accept the irresponsible thinking that some out side force, is going to save humanity.It is we humans that cause our social suffering and indifference, it is we humans that have developed WMD, polluted our environments for our superficial consumerism.There are over 120 wars in the world today,most because of religious indifference and for control of the resources.So that a small handful gain from the misery of the majority.
I see a lot of truth in your statement very rarely ever said by Atheist.

ďIt is we humans that cause our social suffering and indifference, it is we humans that have developed WMD, polluted our environments for our superficial consumerism.Ē

Humanity injustice to humanity still is a concern especially where there are repeated human rights violations across the globe.

We as humanity have also done some good. Clean water treatment for example has saved millions of lives. We have advanced medicine and surgical treatments. In modern countries the standard of living has increased with electricity and indoor plumbing. So there is some good to go along with the bad.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#183387 Nov 10, 2013
boooots wrote:
<quoted text>
So have I and I was probably 10 or 11 before we had a flush toilet in our home, and around 7 or 8 before we had running water, and that would have just been in the kitchen and the adjoining room where my mother had a washing machine and a laundry tub. We bathed in the laundry tub or the kitchen sink. We had a bathtub a few years later, and a shower when I was in high school. My dad's parents, who lived on the same farm, had running water and a flush toilet likely from about 1950 when they built a new home, and we might get to use their toilet and tub (they never had a shower in it), a time or two a year. Back then one bathed once a week whether you needed it or not, and that was after playing in mud, in the barn, in the school yard all day, with no water at the school except what someone delivered every morning in a cream can which was poured into an urn with a water spout used for the occasional person who might want a drink of water every month or so. We never had water in our school until entered grade 9 in high school in town. Our toilets at school were two regular toilets, one in the boys entrance and the other in the girls behind a door in each, which had a big hole dug in the ground under them, much as an outhouse, but not with the wooden seats with the hole cut out, which we did have at all of our homes.
In our home, as long as I remember though, we had a large pail in a closet in my parents' bedroom, in our first house, or under the stairs in the basement of our new second home, with a toilet seat on the top, and the pail had to be manually carried out and dumped over the back fence when it got too heavy for my father to carry, I guess. I think I did carry it out a few times when I was a bit older.
We got newfangled dial phones from Bell part way through 1970, after I graduated from university. Until then we all had the old crank telephones (my maternal grandfather and my mother's brother were the linesmen and telephone repairmen, as well as farmers) one of which is hanging on my wall beside me at this moment. My mother was also the local telephone operator as long as I can remember until Bell took over, and part way through my early life, they put a switch board in a neighboring home, so that each home would operate the community phone lines for a week at a time, except if one or the other needed to go to town when they would ask the other to take over for a while. We kids even operated the telephone switch, because my mother had gardens, babies, and barn work to do too. For church on Sunday, or for special community events, when no one was expected to mind the switch, we would put all the lines together and connected to the town line, so that anyone who had an emergency could just call the town operator, which was always manned, and they would put the call through to a doctor or police.
Holy freaking cow cheese!

I lived a year with my grandparents in Lufkin Texas. They had no bathroom but the dreaded outhouse. Besides that fresh aroma there were always grand daddy long leg spiders around in that outhouse. Or some kind of spider.

They had a well and water had to be lifted by a bucket. We took our baths like you described it. I glad I had to a chance to see the transformation of how people lived in the 1800ís to modern times.

I remember my Grandfather plowing with a mule. Now tractors were available in those days but they were costly. Without telling me your location. What State did you grow up in?

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#183388 Nov 10, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, I don't have brown eyes. We can agree birds have some kind of advance biological navigation system. Scientist donít know for sure how this system works. There are theories which you are welcome to read about. We must remember your expertise is in home air and heating.
That doesnít qualify you as a PhD in ornithology
Science. But feel free to talk out the bottom of your *ss as you have done in the past.[smiling]
Science has a very good idea of how it works.

I'm so sorry your pathetic and limited "edumacation" did not cover this subject.

That is your loss.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#183389 Nov 10, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
"Personally, I do not "know" there is no life after death" Thank you for admitting the truth.
I have had and know of experiences from people with the spirit world. These experiences canít be discussed here with Atheist.
Of course it can't be discussed-- because it would prove you are batshit insane.

Seriously-- you are, if you think you have "experience" with the "spirit world".

I suspect the "spirits" in question came from a bottle of distillate. Which you no doubt imbibed too quickly for sanity's sake.

I pity your liver-- it must be nearly as decrepit as your feeble brains.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#183390 Nov 10, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
Donít ask me what evidence because ...
You are batshit insane, and you cannot produce this .. "evidence".

Without severe brain damage, of course (as you demonstrate).

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#183391 Nov 10, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh I know how Atheist think.
No-- you do not. You **pretend** you do-- but you do not.

If you **did**?

YOU WOULD BE AN ATHEIST TOO.

Seriously-- once you understand that all your faith is just bullshyt?

You cannot go back to pretending faith is something worthwhile to have.

“Exercise Your Brain”

Planet Earth

#183392 Nov 10, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
"Personally, I do not "know" there is no life after death" Thank you for admitting the truth.
I have had and know of experiences from people with the spirit world. These experiences canít be discussed here with Atheist. It would be the equivalent of teaching calculus to a classroom of goats eating hay. Itís just no need to try. You can believe what ever you want. I know thereís a God and Satan. I have seen evidence for myself.
Donít ask me what evidence because itís something you have to experience yourself. Since you donít believe then itís a mute point.
IOW you have to "believe" to "believe". Par.....
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#183393 Nov 10, 2013
boooots wrote:
<quoted text>
I would have spared you that anyway, because that is not what I would have thought of to say. In fact, the very best I would be able to say, is I don't know how they do it. Similarly I don't really understand how my brain does all the things it does, and I certainly don't know how one can put all of the information in my desktop computer into a little SD card that will fit into a digital camera, and be able to retrieve it again in the same form as you put in. I have a very vague general knowledge of how that it is done, but that is very vague and very general, but I know God didn't do it, but man did (referring to the computer/SD card scenario).
Had I anything other than fictional books to suggest some magical entity, somewhere where it can never be seen, did it, that would be an easy way out, I suppose, but so far all I know we have is what is proving to be fictional. It seems man's imagination has not yet come up with a believable concept, and 'God did it' just doesn't fly any more. That is not intended to link back to your bird question.
Having an Atheist father my journey to find God was first by faith. And I lived by faith for years. By the time I was in my 30ís.

I had seen for myself conclusive evidence there was a God. I have seen the most bizarre and indescribable miracles done right before my eyes. Such things I canít share with you because you would swear I was lying. There is a place where one can graduate from faith to actually knowing beyond any doubt thereís a God.

These experiences I would not trade for anything. I know that God is real. I canít prove it but God is not proven. He is experienced.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#183394 Nov 10, 2013
correction: There is a God. The Almighty God, King of Kings and Lord of Lords. The Great I AM.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#183395 Nov 10, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
... That is until the very end when he found God.
Why **is** it, that smart people only seem to "find" god at the **end** of their lives, when their brains are all but non-functional, and they are weak, in pain, and not in their right minds?

Hmmmm?

Why is that?

Why cannot your god be **convincing** to a **rational** person?

Why must it **always** be someone who's mind is all but gone, in desperate pain or who's so very young that they are defenseless to the indoctrination?

Hmmmm?

Why is your god so **not** convincing to a rational, adult mind?

Can you explain?

“Exercise Your Brain”

Planet Earth

#183396 Nov 10, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Having an Atheist father my journey to find God was first by faith. And I lived by faith for years. By the time I was in my 30ís.
I had seen for myself conclusive evidence there was a God. I have seen the most bizarre and indescribable miracles done right before my eyes. Such things I canít share with you because you would swear I was lying. There is a place where one can graduate from faith to actually knowing beyond any doubt thereís a God.
These experiences I would not trade for anything. I know that God is real. I canít prove it but God is not proven. He is experienced.
"Feelings, Oh-wo-wo feelings....."

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#183397 Nov 10, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Top floor of the hospital is an experience too.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#183398 Nov 10, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Fact #1 is not a fact. It's an assumption and only a very small minority of people believe it. Because you claim it as a fact doesnít make it one. You nor any of your partners in crime have conclusive evidence thereís no All Mighty God.
Fact #2 is also not a fact because the earth has been underwater or at least most of it. We have sea fossils at the tops of mountains and also fossil evidence at the top of the South Rim on the Grand Canyon. Iím not saying this sea life is from a catastrophic flood. Iím just saying the earth has been under water before.
Another fact which you donít mention is floods happen all the time on the earth. Many times these floods are massive and encompass untold thousands of square miles. Did the whole earth as we know the earth is today flood in Noahís time? Iím sure the whole earth as they knew it flooded (regional).
Another fact is mankind has been engineering and building since the beginning. We have sent men to the moon and they lived on the moon for several days. Itís not impossible to believe men built the great pyramids without the use of modern cranes and lifting equipment. And it is not out of the realm of impossibility a escape craft was built by Noah and his construction company.
It is certainly a FACT that no verifiable evidence has ever been discovered for you God, nor is there any evidence for any supernatural or spirit realm, that is simply a FACT. Personal experiences, anecdotal accounts, and hearsay do NOT constitute as evidence.

I don't need conclusive evidence that your God does not exist for I am NOT making a POSITIVE claim. The burden of proof is on you as you have made an assertion, a claim, a proclamation that this God exists, it's up to you to simply PROVE IT....ready...set.........GO!! !!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 8 min NTRPRNR1 1,125,951
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 13 min cpeter1313 306,249
Old UK WildCat Picture Signed by Adolph F.Rupp+... (Apr '07) 17 min Local man 40
UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 1 hr R TRUTH 27,917
What role do you think humans play in global wa... 2 hr litesong 1,520
Do you hate UK Wildcats, we DO :-) (Apr '11) 7 hr Geoscientist 50
Should child beauty pageants be banned? 11 hr Some Parents Dont 453

NCAA Basketball People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE