Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

Since: Sep 10

United States

#183255 Nov 9, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
In your opinion, Eagle, how is fraud in science detected and debunked? Is it by the Scientific Method or perhaps because Jimmy Swaggart had a vision?
Pat Robertson.

And Buck Crick.

“Michin yeoja”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#183256 Nov 9, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Pat Robertson.
And Buck Crick.
That's Pat

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#183257 Nov 9, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
A human from a pile of dirt, a talking snake, and magic fruit tree, a god who murders innocent little babies, fully supports slavery, rape and genocide, a 400 foot wooden boat with every animals species on the planet adrift for a whole year, people thriving in the corrosive gastric juices of a whale for a number of days, zombie rising from the grave and strolling around town, the magical insemination of a young women who spoke NOT a word about the incident, reveling in the symbolic act of cannibalism (drinking blood and eating flesh) Am I the only one who see's these beliefs a being batshitcrazy?
There are more of us each day that realize it is all mythology.

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#183258 Nov 9, 2013
Pat Robertson is one twisted turd.

That millions of people are just like him scares the crap out of me.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#183259 Nov 9, 2013
BenAdam wrote:
Billions

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#183260 Nov 9, 2013
havent forgotten wrote:
<quoted text> I am always pleased to see your replies to me, and also your intelligent discussions with other folks.(not so pleased when you waste time with the idiots). it helps to get tips about how not to waste time following up on someone's suggestion. I do appreciate being given key words and not a link however, because I often do not trust the link if I do not know or trust the linker. So look up Rachel Maddow Hagee Bush apocalyptic (or however it is spelled), and maybe you will find a link to her show - or else try her at msnbc, which I understand has a nifty new webpage. she has a fabulous research staff - her intros to her stories are full of historical background and context.
also look for the news regarding the Virginia Attorney General race, which has not been declared yet because of uncounted ballots and a chance of a recount. The GOP candidate is a minor league version of Cuccinelli, I think. I also think Chris Christie is a lightweight, and is only being promoted because the press with any brains are a bit worried about the nutcases from the south and Santorum, and because he is a big personality that they can rev up viewers with. I think Barbara Buono was right about him and about the Democratic party bosses who made deals with him. The younger voters voted for her, I noticed.
Ms Maddow has an excellent website, and her videos are pretty easy to get at, if you like.

I'll go look, when I get time.

As for Christie? He's a classic politician, IMO, in that he'll do whatever, say whatever, to keep himself in power.

I do not think he has much in the way of scruples left.

As such, he's no doubt hiding whole mansions full of skeletons, so he'd not be much of a threat at the national level--where the pundits would dig into his kindergarten records if they could.

There's a reasons why North Eastern politicians have a rough time at the national level--they tend to play real dirty politics up there.

:)

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#183261 Nov 9, 2013
firedog508 wrote:
I do not see any FAITH in people who think man is in control over every thing that happened from the start of time till now. I only see stupidity in thinking we can TRY & I DO MEAN TRY to explain EVERYTHING that goes on in this universe with what little we know about anything. I can't see how anyone can believe that it just happened one day without any help. IF YOU THINK THERE IS NO GOD but believe there is a HIGHER power than man then you are not a ATHEIST because you believe in something besides man. WE are PRAYING 4 YOU..........
Yes, because **praying** was **so** effective at getting your man Mitt-the-Twitt into the White House, right?

Right.

You pray all you want-- people like me, who are **doers** will be out there **doing** something useful instead.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#183262 Nov 9, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
A human from a pile of dirt, a talking snake, and magic fruit tree, a god who murders innocent little babies, fully supports slavery, rape and genocide, a 400 foot wooden boat with every animals species on the planet adrift for a whole year, people thriving in the corrosive gastric juices of a whale for a number of days, zombie rising from the grave and strolling around town, the magical insemination of a young women who spoke NOT a word about the incident, reveling in the symbolic act of cannibalism (drinking blood and eating flesh) Am I the only one who see's these beliefs a being batshitcrazy?
... well... when you put it so bluntly?

<LMAO>

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#183263 Nov 9, 2013
BenAdam wrote:
Indeed.

There is but **one** trait about Robertson that is good.

And it's this: he's really, really **old**.

Meaning?

He'll be worm-food soon enough.

I would not wish anyone dead before their time, but Robertson should not be permitted to benefit from the **science** he so openly despises.

Should he?

Or would that be stooping to **his** level of hate?

... meh.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#183264 Nov 9, 2013
albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>
TY, I didn't know that. I'll have to research it, it was probably much better monitored and recorded. I've looked at NDE cites (because I've had one myself) and they are mostly interested in the more bizarre stories and try to read meaning into the hallucinations rather than the processes that caused them.
I have been very close to death a couple times, at least, but I don't recall any hallucinations of any kind, during those experiences.

Location hidden

#183265 Nov 9, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
From the Bible Doctor, the Bible!
Job 38:35
King James Version (KJV)
35. Canst thou send lightnings, that they may go and say unto thee, Here we are?
Good grief!!! Are you that backward?

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#183266 Nov 9, 2013
boooots wrote:
<quoted text>
I have been very close to death a couple times, at least, but I don't recall any hallucinations of any kind, during those experiences.
Me, too.

Blowed up twice, and shot at quite a lot. And a coupla really icky accidents.

No paranormal phenomena at all.

Location hidden

#183267 Nov 9, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you saying there hasn't been fraud in evolutionary science?
There has been fraud in any possible place that a human could imagine, and especially in the preaching of the Bible. That does not mean that science has not made many discoveries that are accurate, and if it hadn't we would not be sitting at a computer having these debates today.

Evolution is not just a theory but has been proved, and there are several, but not many examples in the world today, where the very same animal can be found in two different environments exhibiting different traits. one of these is a case where the same animal in one environment lays eggs from which its young are hatched, while in a different environment the babies are born as are humans, full or at least partially developed, but not inside an egg. The explanation that was given concerning that example was that due to a harsher environment that one group of these animals were exposed to it had retained a safer means of producing its young. I can't give the exact details nor the place now, as though it did occur, I can't recall where I found that information.

You are presenting a cartoon version of evolution, and no evolutionist or scientist is presenting evolution in the ways you describe. A wolf didn't run over a river and turn into a whale or vice versa, however you described it. Yes, animals that we see today did evolve from a primitive form, over many millions of years, but it didn't occur the way you indicated.

Before you laugh at proven facts, perhaps you should get some education yourself. Nothing in the Bible, relating to God, miracles, raisings from the dead, or any other supernatural event, has ever been proved, nor has any evidence of such ever been found. All of the things you might believe came from books which have no known evidence to substantiate.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#183268 Nov 9, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> Billions
At what point did our species suddenly become so stupid? Are we all really that afraid of dying?

Location hidden

#183269 Nov 9, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I keep a specialty printer connected to my computer.
The paper on this printer is on a roll.
After printing I just tear it off and then take it to the bathroom.
And Bob a good healthy sh*t never felt so good knowing I can wipe my *ss with your comments.
[smiling][tipping hat]
I wonder if you are aware of how many times you shot yourself in the foot in the past several posts you have made here.

Location hidden

#183270 Nov 9, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I wonder if you could tell me how does a bird fly from one part of the world to the other with pin point accuracy?
Even better, why don't you tell us how the bird does that? Please, if you have any sanity all, do not say that God directs the bird.

Location hidden

#183271 Nov 9, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok, here’s what you do. The next time there’s a lighting storm in your area. Put a ˝ teaspoon of salt in each one of your shoes. Put your shoes back on. Go out into the rain at the highest point in your neighborhood. Hold up your middle finger as high as your can. Then tell God what you think of him.
You’ll get your proof.
How many bullets do you have in that gun anyway? Your foot must be pretty well shredded by now.

Location hidden

#183272 Nov 9, 2013
havent forgotten wrote:
<quoted text> you seem rational, and I hope you do not mind a comment unrelated to the topic under discussion. this is semi-political. you need to check out the report on the Rachel Maddow show Friday night. It is about GWBush and other politicians who are in cahoots with what I call the Armageddon Welcoming and Facilitating Committee. He is doing fund-raising for one of their groups, and apparently the info about it was taken off the website after it was publicized. This is connected with Hagee and other rightwing evangelical/fundie types. A film clip showed hagee saying that Hitler was essentially used by God to get Jews out of Europe and back into Israel, in order to fulfill prophecy, in order to bring on the end of the world as we know it, and bring about a second coming - and maybe the rapture, though that may be optional depending on which group is promoting this stuff. These are the types trying to take over the gOP. So if anyone thinkws Jeb Bush might be the only rational appearing possible gOP candidate, we had better find out if he is as nuts as his brother.
Surely, Americans are not so stupid as to put another Bush into power in that country.

Location hidden

#183273 Nov 9, 2013
havent forgotten wrote:
<quoted text> I am not willing to generalize quite that much about religion. I think some versions of religion are evil, and others not so much so. I do not think there are enough free thinking type people to outvote religious people, so I am friendly toward any religious person whose view of religion promotes love and stewardship toward living things and the planet. I think they need to be more outspoken in opposition to the evil ones who hijack religion and use it mostly for evil purposes. Not that I think that religion does not carry the seeds of some of the evil doctrines within it (most religions that I know of anyway), but many religions do also carry seeds of some good behavior and beliefs about being kind and not hateful. I think we need people who water the seeds of kindness, even if they have some silly beliefs, rather than those of cruelty and evil
(maybe even if some of their theological views are less silly). It is ethics which matters most. I respect an ethic of informed kindness - knowing what to do to be kind to living beings (except those which are out to kill or injure us or the innocents of the world, or the less guilty than the killers, at least)/
Well said. Though I am now an atheist, I was very much into Christianity, well into my 40s, from childhood, and the denomination that I belonged to is one of the most front running of the denominations in the world, for accepting what has been proved to be myths, as myths, and they have concentrated on preaching the good of their beliefs rather than the Evil as portrayed by the God of the Old Testament. That is the denomination as a whole has done that, but there are still congregations within that denomination which are about as backward as some of the fundies here. However, because they have not yet accepted the Bible and God as myth, I cannot fully support what they do at this point in my life. They do provide something for the elderly who were brought up believing in the Bible to do at least once a week, and often more than that.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#183274 Nov 9, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>At what point did our species suddenly become so stupid? Are we all really that afraid of dying?

Actually for 150 years, a few have tried to become less stupid.
But stupid , is something that just came natural. I mean we can even be a really sophisticated kind of stupid. lol

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 3 hr R TRUTH 27,426
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 hr Petal Power 1,110,247
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 8 hr Pearl Jam 305,687
Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Fri broombroom 200,976
Freshman Jonah Bolden declared ineligible for U... Sep 12 Brew In 1
Indiana Basketball: 2015 Forward Juwan Morgan C... Sep 11 Mike Williams 1
ACC Tournament 2014: Biggest Storylines to Watc... (Mar '14) Sep 11 Anonymous 2
•••
•••

NCAA Basketball People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••