Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#183195 Nov 9, 2013
albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>
Then explain the purpose of your appendix.
Sorry, Albert. That one was discarded from the playbook entitled "Cute Objections to God" years ago.

You're about 2 steps behind.

And don't try the "human eye's image is upside-down" ploy.

It's also debunked.

Location hidden

#183196 Nov 9, 2013
albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>
TY, I didn't know that. I'll have to research it, it was probably much better monitored and recorded. I've looked at NDE cites (because I've had one myself) and they are mostly interested in the more bizarre stories and try to read meaning into the hallucinations rather than the processes that caused them.
His claimed research is a lie, and your response is a lie, Albert.

The effect observed from astronauts in centrifuge did not result in an experience resembling an NDE in any but the most rudimentary elements.

And you are wrong, NDE's are not hallucinations.

Location hidden

#183197 Nov 9, 2013
albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, like you were there and know ALL about it;0)
No, but people who WERE there have written books and there have been court cases where people who WERE there testified.

Albert, being stupid like you are is no vice. But when it makes you annoying, that's another story.

Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#183198 Nov 9, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Actually you spend more time rejecting factual information than you do asking questions about evolution. You ask, a factual answer is given, and your next step is to flatly reject the answer, always because it is in direct conflict to your beliefs. Scientists don't just pull shit out of there ass as you and other tend to do, they test, and measure and weigh and examine from all angles, and then submit there findings for peer review so other scientist can try and knock it down, try to falsify the information. It's a rigorous process, so when evolutionary biologists make a claim about the evolution of whales, its based on extremely solid information.
My job is NOT to convert anyone, believe as you may, just don't bring that belief into the public theater. Keep it out of schools, politics, and the government. Keep it behind closed doors were it belongs.
Actually there is good reason to be skeptical of evolutionary science. The scientific method and peer review process has been by-passed in many of these so called discoveries. Doctor, you’re a man of facts. Listen to the facts of what I’m saying.

There’s the Haeckel’s Fraud that made it in textbooks for decades. It was in my biology book. Where in the hell was the scientific method and peer review?

Then of course there was the Piltdown Bird from China. Nat Geo plastered that photo and shipped their magazines all over the globe. Claiming the link between dinosaurs and birds. All fake but it made it to mainstream classrooms anyway.

Then lets look at the good ole anthology professor at Frankfurt University. Professor Reiner Protsch von Zieten deliberately falsified dates on fossils which mislead the science community.

How much has been fabricated and manipulated by evolutionist that we don’t know? This science you put so much faith in is the only science that has these kinds of frauds. Why? Because the scientific method and peer review are routinely circumvented.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#183199 Nov 9, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Step in my time machine eagle, we're going back to the very early 18th century. Here we find the most advanced technology has discovered the battery and the rudimentary light bulb. Neither the camera or the telephone have been invented. Now try and convince anyone that it is entirely possible to have a conversation with anyone, in any part of the world, instantaneously, with a very small hand held device. You can also point the device at anything, press a small button and it will capture the image and this to you can send instantaneously to anyone anywhere in the world. And if they have the same device they can do the same. Now tell them it is possible for 300 hundred people to climb into a metal tube, sit in complete comfort and they hurl through the air at 500 mph to any destination on the planet. That knee's and shoulders and lungs and kidneys and hearts can be replaced surgically and many deadly diseases will be eradicated through a simple vaccination.
They would respond as you have over something you cannot begin to imagine. "People fly through the sky? Thats a hell of a stretch of someone's imagination"
"A hand held device that can communicate with anyone anywhere on the planet? Ha Ha, Its just to far fetched for my imagination"
Now tell this same thing to a scientist from that period of time, explain to them exactly how this was accomplished. Even though he may find the ideas totally incredible, his scientific knowledge will at least lead him to believe it is possible.
You reject that which you can't begin to understand, in the end you are no different from early man who could not begin to understand thunder and lightning. Your closed mind is you enemy.
From the Bible Doctor, the Bible!

Job 38:35
King James Version (KJV)

35. Canst thou send lightnings, that they may go and say unto thee, Here we are?
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#183200 Nov 9, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>The really nice thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe it.
Are you saying there hasn't been fraud in evolutionary science?
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#183201 Nov 9, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Not so sweet to those born with Down's syndrome, or birth defects, or childhood cancers. It is often said that if prayers were actually answered no child would EVER die from cancer. Yeah I know, your God works in mysterious ways, who can know the mind of God. In the end he was unlimited power and has the ability (or so you people say) to cure these innocent little children, he choses to sit and watch then die horrible in pain and confusion, as anguished parents sit by helpless. Your God is truly a demon. No other explanation!!!!
I must remind you Doctor that you don't believe in God. So if he doesn't exist then how could he be a demon? And you don't believe in demons either.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#183202 Nov 9, 2013
albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>
Then explain the purpose of your appendix.
There was a time when there was no known reason for the appendix but that has changed recently.

Scientists Finally Discover The Function of the Human Appendix

By Barbara Miller
It has long been regarded as a potentially troublesome, redundant organ, but American researchers say they have discovered the true function of the appendix.
The researchers say it acts as a safe house for good bacteria, which can be used to effectively reboot the gut following a bout of dysentery or cholera.
The conventional wisdom is that the small pouch protruding from the first part of the large intestine is redundant and many people have their appendix removed and appear none the worse for it.
Scientists from the Duke University Medical Centre in North Carolina say following a severe bout of cholera or dysentery, which can purge the gut of bacteria essential for digestion, the reserve good bacteria emerge from the appendix to take up the role.
But Professor Bill Parker says the finding does not mean we should cling onto our appendices at all costs.
“It’s very important for people to understand that if their appendix gets inflamed, just because it has a function it does not mean they should try to keep it in,” he said.
“So it’s sort of a fun thing that we’ve found, but we don’t want it to cause any harm, we don’t want people to say,“oh, my appendix has a function”, so I’m not going to go to the doctor, I’m going to try to hang onto it.”

http://politicalblindspot.com/scientists-fina...
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#183203 Nov 9, 2013
albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>
Orangutans are not indigenous to New York, why would they need to adapt to New York's environment?
Who is indigenous to New York?[laughing]

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#183204 Nov 9, 2013
LCNLin wrote:
<quoted text>Amusing as evolution does NOT prove atheism
LOL
But keep posting!
But evolution DOES disprove the bible myth of Adam and Eve, as well as all of Genesis.

That's more than enough.

At least it should be for any rational person.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#183205 Nov 9, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Actually you spend more time rejecting factual information than you do asking questions about evolution. You ask, a factual answer is given, and your next step is to flatly reject the answer, always because it is in direct conflict to your beliefs. Scientists don't just pull shit out of there ass as you and other tend to do, they test, and measure and weigh and examine from all angles, and then submit there findings for peer review so other scientist can try and knock it down, try to falsify the information. It's a rigorous process, so when evolutionary biologists make a claim about the evolution of whales, its based on extremely solid information.
My job is NOT to convert anyone, believe as you may, just don't bring that belief into the public theater. Keep it out of schools, politics, and the government. Keep it behind closed doors were it belongs.
By: Kate Allen Science and Technology reporter, Published on Thu Oct 03 2013
Explore This Story

Bogus cancer study, with glaring errors and imaginary authors, accepted by 157 publications
Over the past year, a study describing the astounding anti-cancer properties of a chemical found in lichen was submitted to hundreds of open-access scientific journals.
There was just one problem. The study was garbage — riddled with blatant errors, meaningless graphs and ethical red flags — and its authors were imaginary.

The paper was a hoax designed to flush out journals that charge authors a fee for publishing their work but fail to perform any peer review, the process of blind evaluation designed to screen out bad science.

But even John Bohannon, the Harvard biologist and Science magazine contributing correspondent who designed the sting operation, was surprised by its results.

Of the 304 journals where the paper was submitted, 157 accepted it for publication. Only 36 provided reviewer comments identifying the study’s glaring flaws; among those journals, 16 accepted the paper anyway.

“I could not believe it in the beginning,” Bohannon says.“I was like,‘Wow, this is a random fluctuation. This will even out.’ And it just never did.” His story appears in Friday’s issue of Science.

Bohannon’s experiment is sure to provoke an already raging debate over the emerging ecosystem of open-access journals, the “gold” model of which charges scientists a fee to publish (anywhere from $500 to $3,000) but are accessible to readers for free. Traditional journals publish papers for free but charge a hefty price, sometimes more than $10,000, for subscriptions.

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/2013/10/03/...
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#183206 Nov 9, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
Jan Hendrik Schön (2001)
A German physicist, Jan Hendrik Schön, briefly rose to a position of prominence after seemingly having a series of astonishing breakthroughs in several experements using semiconductors. These "breakthroughs" were later discovered to be fraudulent, but not before he had received the 2001 Otto-Klung-Weberbank Prize for Physics in 2001, the 2001 Braunschweig Prize and the 2002 Outstanding Young Investigator Award of the Materials Research Society. All were subsequently rescinded.

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Modern_frauds_in...
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#183207 Nov 9, 2013
Marc Hauser (2010)

Marc Hauser is a former evolutionary biologist who resigned his academic post at Harvard University in 2011 after the university began an investigation into his laboratory the previous year. Hauser's experimental work dealt largely with primatology and studying animal behavior, placing this in the interdisciplinary contexts of evolutionary psychology, cognitive science, animal cognition, and physical and cultural anthropology. Harvard charged him with eight counts of scientific misconduct, three involving published papers, one of which was ultimately retracted. Discrepancies between the published description of his research design and his field notes and video recordings have been found. How much data was fabricated for these three papers is still under debate, but this casts a shadow of doubt over his large body of published research.[4]
http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Modern_frauds_in ...
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#183208 Nov 9, 2013
Diederik Stapel (up to 2011)

Diederik Stapel is a former professor of social psychology at Tilburg University. He was also a dean of the faculty. He was fired after he admitted data manipulation and fabrication of data. This data was used in at least 12 dissertations and thirty peer reviewed articles. He himself published many peer reviewed articles, but it is not yet publicly know which of his publications are based on faked or manipulated data. He acted alone and the twelve PhDs will not be retracted. Stapel received his own PhD at the university of Amsterdam, which the university attempted to retract because of exceptionally unworthy behavior. On 9 November 2011 Stapel voluntarily returned his PhD to the university.[5]

[edit] See also
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#183209 Nov 9, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
For you? A dog giving birth to another dog is over the top....
... you are seriously **that** ignorant about biology.
I guess when it comes to the Roman Colosseum games. You’re were always a fan of the Lions.
EdSed

Wishaw, UK

#183210 Nov 9, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course not. He wrote, "Actually you spend more time rejecting factual information than you do asking questions about evolution."

You simply pay inadaquate attention to anything that contradicts your 'belief system' and don't keep scientific errors, dishonest or misguided scientists (such as Creationists) in proper perspective.

The aim should be to follow the evidence, not come to a conclusion and favor what supports a particular belief.

The advantage of dispensing with superstitious belief in gods or witches (what religionists might see as 'losing faith') is that one can simply follow scientific evidence where it leads. Even the clear majority of religionists aren't so daft as to reject science supportive of evolution and they don't take Creationism seriously either as, when examined, scientific support for it is essentially absent.

People can google that much for themselves.
Thinking

UK

#183211 Nov 9, 2013
You're referring to the debunked "intelligent design"?
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#183212 Nov 9, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>]
Exactly-- the bible was written entirely by ignorant savages.
There is nothing divine about it--nothing.
Which?
Pretty much proves there are no real gods anywhere-- what god would permit such as the evil bible to sully it's name like it does?
Nevermind the other ugly religious books such as the quoran or book of moron-erm-mormon.
I keep a specialty printer connected to my computer.

The paper on this printer is on a roll.

After printing I just tear it off and then take it to the bathroom.

And Bob a good healthy sh*t never felt so good knowing I can wipe my *ss with your comments.

[smiling][tipping hat]

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#183213 Nov 9, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I keep a specialty printer connected to my computer.
The paper on this printer is on a roll.
After printing I just tear it off and then take it to the bathroom.
And Bob a good healthy sh*t never felt so good knowing I can wipe my *ss with your comments.
[smiling][tipping hat]
You should print off your proof of god with that printer, then wipe your ass with the output.

I advise washing your hands afterwards.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#183214 Nov 9, 2013
Thinking wrote:
You're referring to the debunked "intelligent design"?
<quoted text>
I wonder if you could tell me how does a bird fly from one part of the world to the other with pin point accuracy?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min RealDave 1,110,592
Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 18 min sameer 200,979
Yahoo's call for overhaul of USA Basketball, FI... 55 min johnnyj 1
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 1 hr The_Box 305,690
UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 8 hr PEE PEE PETE 27,434
Freshman Jonah Bolden declared ineligible for U... Sep 12 Brew In 1
Indiana Basketball: 2015 Forward Juwan Morgan C... Sep 11 Mike Williams 1
•••
•••

NCAA Basketball People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••