Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 255176 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#183177 Nov 8, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Putting aside microbiological evolution. Because I believe itís pretty obvious as it is very observable.
The belief of evolution of many animals and humans is like unto a wicker basket gondola. It takes a hell of a lot of hot air to keep it going. Which I might say rather pointedly you are supplying.[smiling]
Keep up the good work.
Yet another post from ignorance. Yes put aside microevolution it is a pointless term.

No it doesn't take a hell of a lot of hot air to keep it going, it goes all by itself, and if it take anything at all, it take intelligence and education, both of which you seem to be lacking in spades.

That you consider me posting factual information as hot air, goes a long way in demonstrating your abysmal plunge into the depth of willful ignorance. I do pity you, really I do!!!!

“Exercise Your Brain”

Since: Jun 07

Planet Earth

#183178 Nov 8, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
John Dean is a liar, a rat, and a low-life bastard.
He was behind the Watergate break-in, then ratted out his friends and blamed them, then he has spent all the years since lying about it.
Yeah, like you were there and know ALL about it;0)
LCNLin

United States

#183179 Nov 8, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Once again...There is NO difference between micro-evolution and macro-evolution, evolutionary biologists NEVER use these terms as they are MEANINGLESS.
So you answered one of my earlier questions in a round about way. You do ascribe to a world-wide conspiracy theory involving scientists and their support for evolution. I won't even begin to imagine that you have any evidence for this conspiracy nor any documentation that bare's out this conspiracy theory of yours. Earlier I mention you and other like you simply pulling shit out of your asses, thanks for showing us how it's done once again.
Once again you prove to all that even though you build your life and those in your immediate family around your holy book, you have NEVER read this book, AMAZING!!!! Now should you care to pick it up and crack the never before used pages, you will find a very descriptive account as to how Adam was created. Once again I'm in awe at how much more we Atheists know about your holy book than most of you Theists.
Once again........:-

Still no evidence for atheism... but much smug amusement.
LOL

“Exercise Your Brain”

Planet Earth

#183180 Nov 8, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Isn't it amazing to watch the extremes these creationist will go to in trying to validate their total insanity. Potential intelligent people dragged into the depth of superstition and unreasonable claims. It's as though "anything goes" in an attempt to validate my insane beliefs.
Anything DOES go when it comes to propping up their shaky theistic beliefs. Not that these people are completely gullible, some can be quite intelligent.....except for that one specific area.

Personally, I think it's that promise of eternal life that causes them (fundies) to believe the bizarre and deny the logical. Logic gets in the way of their wishful thinking fairytale rewards.
LCNLin

United States

#183181 Nov 8, 2013
"I think it's that promise of"... book sales and TV show appearances motives atheists
LOL

“Exercise Your Brain”

Planet Earth

#183182 Nov 8, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Their prayers were evidently answered.
Otherwise you wouldn't be here.
They wouldn't have needed to do that if there was plenty of game.
So now you believe in Thor....got it;0)

“Exercise Your Brain”

Planet Earth

#183183 Nov 8, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
http://newsfeed.time.com/2013/ 11/06/your-knee-bones-connecte d-to-your-what-scientists-disc over-new-body-part/?hpt=hp_t3
That was in the news today.
"In an age filled with advanced medical techniques like MRIs, artificial hearts, and laser eye surgery, one could be forgiven for believing doctors are also at least vaguely familiar with every one of your body parts. However, a new discovery by Belgian physicians has proved this assumption wrong."
And this means what? Oh yeah! Medical science triumphs again!

“Exercise Your Brain”

Planet Earth

#183184 Nov 8, 2013
Chaumette wrote:
What would would atheism have faith in, not believing in something? Don't think that requires any faith.
Some peeps are so steeped in mysticism they think expecting the sun will come up in the morning requires faith ;0)

“Exercise Your Brain”

Planet Earth

#183185 Nov 8, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
If evolution is factual there should be in the fossil record a clear indication of a track. Ants for example in the fossil record look the same as they did 300 million years ago. If evolution is so prominent. Orangutans would be driving taxiís in New York.
Orangutans are not indigenous to New York, why would they need to adapt to New York's environment?

“Exercise Your Brain”

Planet Earth

#183186 Nov 8, 2013
boooots wrote:
<quoted text>
Depending on what the parents believe, some of those things can be toppled by the law, at least here in Canada. A Jehovah's Witness adult cannot legally prevent a child from getting a life requiring blood transfusion, if doctors show that the child will die without the transfusion. Sorry for any distortions of the law, as I haven't researched it recently.
Also children have been taken from their parents, when the parents were indoctrinating them into Neo-Nazi thinking, which was becoming apparent in what they brought to school, or what they said at school. There are no doubt a lot of unfit parents who retain custody of their kids, mainly because others don't want to get involved, or others just don't care enough.
Then hurrah for Canada! People should be free to explain their beliefs to their children and have the children live by them. But no parent has the right to harm or allow harm through inaction.

I suppose I'm fortunate to be living in a fairly rural area. People know each other and look out for them, they also notice when something is wrong. Not that bad things don't happen here, maybe I'm just a small town girl at heart;0)

“Exercise Your Brain”

Planet Earth

#183187 Nov 8, 2013
boooots wrote:
<quoted text>
And which have also been proved to occur in non-medical situations, as was discovered with astronauts being trained by putting them into a situation where they were rapidly spun, which would acclimatize them to some parts of their space travel, and it was found that these people had identical experiences to many of the NDEs that people talk about. The thinking is that the brain, when depleted of oxygen, as it would be when spinning rapidly, or when dying, goes through certain circumstances which produce hallucinations.
TY, I didn't know that. I'll have to research it, it was probably much better monitored and recorded. I've looked at NDE cites (because I've had one myself) and they are mostly interested in the more bizarre stories and try to read meaning into the hallucinations rather than the processes that caused them.

“Exercise Your Brain”

Planet Earth

#183188 Nov 8, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
So I go and do some research on whale evolution.
Holy sh*t thatís some far fetched stuff. Hoofed animals turning into whales?
Call me ignorant or whatever but this evolution crap is right up there with Cinderellaís mice turning into horsemen.
I refuse to believe that crap. You can if you want to but this stuff of wolfs running over a creek and turning into whales is just beyond my imagination. I canít believe people actually believe that sh*t.
If you believe in that horse sh*t you will believe anything. I'm sorry, I don't believe it one bit.
Then explain the purpose of your appendix.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#183189 Nov 8, 2013
Some Stoner Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Dude; you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. I dont' even try anymore; I just try to find the humor in their absurdness.
That is a valid approach, for sure.

But.

There are people who are not beyond help-- they often lurk here and there, and comment seldom.

For those?

I do try to refute the lies from religion.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#183190 Nov 8, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>And lie it does........."At the time Genesis was written, it was believed that the Earth was flat .If they couldn't get the shape of the planet right, what are the odds of them nailing the cause for the creation of everything then?
]

Exactly-- the bible was written entirely by ignorant savages.

There is nothing divine about it--nothing.

Which?

Pretty much proves there are no real gods anywhere-- what god would permit such as the evil bible to sully it's name like it does?

Nevermind the other ugly religious books such as the quoran or book of moron-erm-mormon.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#183191 Nov 8, 2013
albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>
Anything DOES go when it comes to propping up their shaky theistic beliefs. Not that these people are completely gullible, some can be quite intelligent.....except for that one specific area.
Personally, I think it's that promise of eternal life that causes them (fundies) to believe the bizarre and deny the logical. Logic gets in the way of their wishful thinking fairytale rewards.
I chalk it up to extreme cowardice.

They are desperately afraid of dying-- so they cling to anything-- anything at all, that promises alleviation of that.

It's kinda sad.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#183192 Nov 9, 2013
albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>
Wishful thinking is you thinking you know something about logic.

A fairytale reward is you hoping you ever will.

Location hidden

#183193 Nov 9, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>

They are desperately afraid of dying-- so they cling to anything-- anything at all, that promises alleviation of that.

Their religion does not claim to alleviate dying, Blob.

The belief is that they all die. Just like you.

You almost had a rational thought, Blob.

You were this () close.

Location hidden

#183194 Nov 9, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>]
Exactly-- the bible was written entirely by ignorant savages.
There is nothing divine about it--nothing.
Which?
Pretty much proves there are no real gods anywhere what god would permit such as the evil bible to sully it's name like it does?
Nevermind the other ugly religious books such as the quoran or book of moron-erm-mormon.
If there were a god, Blob, how could you possibly know what it would "permit"??

You are just a moron who blabs drivel on Topix. Tell us why a god would consider clueing you in to what it would permit.

A homeless wino would not tell you a secret. So why would God?

Location hidden

#183195 Nov 9, 2013
albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>
Then explain the purpose of your appendix.
Sorry, Albert. That one was discarded from the playbook entitled "Cute Objections to God" years ago.

You're about 2 steps behind.

And don't try the "human eye's image is upside-down" ploy.

It's also debunked.

Location hidden

#183196 Nov 9, 2013
albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>
TY, I didn't know that. I'll have to research it, it was probably much better monitored and recorded. I've looked at NDE cites (because I've had one myself) and they are mostly interested in the more bizarre stories and try to read meaning into the hallucinations rather than the processes that caused them.
His claimed research is a lie, and your response is a lie, Albert.

The effect observed from astronauts in centrifuge did not result in an experience resembling an NDE in any but the most rudimentary elements.

And you are wrong, NDE's are not hallucinations.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 hr USAsince1680 1,382,088
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 6 hr zef 311,138
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 8 hr don t drink the k... 9,633
I got my loan from [email protected] (Jun '13) 22 hr Ceren 39
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) Sun Chosen Traveler 32,265
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Sun 01niner 201,860
Conn's Appliances (Nov '07) May 15 Idiots 285
More from around the web