Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258482 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Sep 08

Alamosa, CO

#183082 Nov 7, 2013
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
In order to claim the hammer as a reliable out-of-place artifact, one would need either
1. Convincing documentation that the hammer was once naturally embedded in an ancient rock formation.(The very creationists who claim the "anomaly" is real have openly admitted that they have absolutely no documentation to support their claim).
or
2. Independent scientific evidence indicating a problematic age for the hammer.(The creationists who own this hammer refuse to allow the hammer to be independently analyzed, go figure.)
Got anything?
You made two assertions. No documentation, and refusal to let it be examined. Cite your sources for that information.

Why are the Folsom points older in America than China?

Explain the bell, especially the figure on top and the alloy.

Explain the skull.

Those things exist. They have been around for a while. They are not recent finds.

Alamosa, CO

#183083 Nov 7, 2013
Igor Trip wrote:
<quoted text>
The London Hammer:
An Alleged Out-of-Place Artifact
"The stone is real, and it looks impressive to someone unfamiliar with geological processes. How could a modern artifact be stuck in Ordovician rock? The answer is that the concretion itself is not Ordovician. Minerals in solution can harden around an intrusive object dropped in a crack or simply left on the ground if the source rock (in this case, reportedly Ordovician) is chemically soluble (Cole, 1985)."
"Such limy concretions can sometimes form in decades or less, and have been found around modern objects such as World War II artifacts (McKusick and Shinn, 1980). It's even possible that the nodule might contain a mixture of ancient and modern sediments or organic remains, as might occur in muddy muddles and pits in a mining operation."
http://paleo.cc/paluxy/hammer.htm
BTW, there were a lot of could be's, and nothing substantial in that article you posted. I will draw to your attention the assertion the bare iron caused by the file cut should not have rusted because it wasn't rusty already as the rest of the hammer. Perhaps he is not familiar with the old methods of providing rust inhibitions to gun barrels by rusting them. Browning the barrels. How you got the name Brown Bess for the English musket. Nice authoritative assertion by your author.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#183084 Nov 7, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
If evolution is factual there should be in the fossil record a clear indication of a track. Ants for example in the fossil record look the same as they did 300 million years ago. If evolution is so prominent. Orangutans would be driving taxi’s in New York.
Do some study on the evolution of whales, they are a great example of evolutionary changes in a population over time.

Next, ask your doctor why he hesitates to administer antibiotics for every little problem you might have.

Now ask a farmer if he is using the same insecticides he was using 8-10 years ago.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#183085 Nov 7, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
http://www.6000years.org/frame .php?page=stuff_in_coal
holyfuckinshit, are you SERIOUS with this shit? You actually had the balls to post this from a site called AMAZING BIBLE DISCOVERIES!!!! BHAA WAA WAA.

Is this the same site that found human footprints next to a dinosaurs?

You are as stupid as I assumed, possible more so.

Try some REAL science and maybe everyone will stop laughing at you, though I doubt it. Whatafuckinmoronandahalf!!!!!!

Buck Crick

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#183086 Nov 7, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Do some study on the evolution of whales, they are a great example of evolutionary changes in a population over time.
Next, ask your doctor why he hesitates to administer antibiotics for every little problem you might have.
Now ask a farmer if he is using the same insecticides he was using 8-10 years ago.
The current model of whale evolution is provably false.

Antibiotic resistance in bacteria is not an example of evolution.

Nor is insecticide resistance.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#183087 Nov 7, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Evolution denial is a mental illness. No further discussion required with creationist liars on the subjecg.
All I did was ask a question. And the East German Evolutionary Police want to beat me up cause I asked. Is evolution that insecure that it can’t handle a simple question?

Where's the evolutionary track for all these insects found in fossils? All the insects preserved for millions of years seem to look identical to the ones found today.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#183088 Nov 7, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Oh, I thought you loved me, how disappointing.
Yes you are right I have absolutely NO respect for scientific ignorance. And YES I am totally intolerant of the willfully ignorant. You EARN respect. I called you a lazy ass because it is quite obvious you are to lazy to educate yourself on the facts dealing with evolution. Possibly you have a learning disability which keeps you from understanding science, or you are simply unable to comprehend what you read. Personally I think you're too lazy to make the effort and would rather sit on your ass and parrot creationist bullshit.
The information is there, it is reliable, it is what mainstream science accepts as the best possible answer at this moment in time. Do you really think 99% of all scientist world-wide could be so wrong? Rejecting this FACTUAL information is a sure sign of a serious mental disorder, religion has poisoned your mind to the point were you rejecting factual information, it is pitiful. I have every right to treat you rudely, and to have absolutely no respect for you as a person.
I have NO credit cards, both cars are paid for, as is the boat, I have a small mortgage, and actually have a surplus left over at the end of the month, so your wrong once more about paying my bills. Don't you ever tire of being fuckinwrong?
Somewhere in your town is a building with a sign that says LIBRARY, walk in the front door and ask were the science books are located. Start with the basics on evolution, either that orgoandfuckyersister, your choice!!!!!
My good Doctor, part of learning is asking questions, right? I’ve noticed when a question is asked involving evolution. You guys want to beat the hell out of them.

All I did was ask a question. Those who embrace evolution must feel insecure about it or they wouldn’t be calling the East German Evolutionary Police.

If insects look exactly the same as they did 200 million years ago. Where in the hell is the evolutionary tract? It’s a legit question.

You should have at least a couple of credit cards in case you need to make an emergency trip somewhere. Being dept free is how I also live. My truck was purchased new and it was paid for in cash. The recent luxury car we picked up is being paid for by our company.

I’m just trying to figure out why you want to whip everybody’s *ss. You’re not going to be successful in converting anyone to atheism by force and anger. I’m sorry to inform you but anger kills and the clock is running on you Doctor. You need to live out your life in happiness.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#183089 Nov 7, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Do some study on the evolution of whales, they are a great example of evolutionary changes in a population over time.
I “BELIEVE” in evolution on a microbiological scale.

I also made tons of intermediate chemicals for herbicides. We were on the cutting edge of herbicides chemistry. We had one cascade falling reactor system dedicated just for these intermediate chemicals directed to the farm industry.

Then we also had two dedicated continuous 3,000 gallon glass lined reactors running on a continuous basis. All of these reactions required a continuous flow of catalyst to keep the reaction going. None of these chemicals had a pleasant odor. They were toxic and smelled like dirty socks that reeked.

When I get time I will look at the evolutionary track for whales. The grandkids are coming over to spend the night and so I’m going to be busy. I do love you Doctor. Not in a homo way but as a son loves his father. I just wish you weren’t so pissed off all the time. Life is too short my Music Doctor.[tipping hat].
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#183090 Nov 7, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
The current model of whale evolution is provably false.
Antibiotic resistance in bacteria is not an example of evolution.
Nor is insecticide resistance.
Thank you, I'll take a look at it.

[tipping hat].

“Evil Atheist :-)”

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#183091 Nov 7, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
All I did was ask a question. And the East German Evolutionary Police want to beat me up cause I asked. Is evolution that insecure that it can’t handle a simple question?
Where's the evolutionary track for all these insects found in fossils? All the insects preserved for millions of years seem to look identical to the ones found today.
"The evolution of insects dates back to the Devonian period, with the oldest definitive insect fossil being the Rhyniognatha hirsti, estimated at 407 to 396 million years ago. Global climate conditions changed several times during the history of the earth, along with it the diversity of insects. The Pterygotes underwent a major radiation in the Carboniferous while the Endopterygota species underwent another major radiation in the Permian. Survivors of the mass extinction at the PT boundary evolved in the Triassic to what are essentially the modern Insecta Orders that persist to modern times. Most modern insect families appeared in the Jurassic, and further diversity probably in genera occurred in the Cretaceous. It is believed that by the Tertiary, there existed many of what are still modern genera; hence, most insects in amber are, indeed, members of extant genera. Notably, insects diversified in only about 100 million years into forms that are in many cases almost identical to those that exist today."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phylogeny_of_ins...

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#183092 Nov 7, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
RAB - Random Access Babbling
Possibly but also true. What I said, in the post you responded to, is true.

Location hidden

#183093 Nov 7, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
In reference to your comment about wooden ships.
Wow, National Geographic!
With all those color photo’s and everything. The same magazine that printed the "Archaeoraptor” in 1999. A faked and fraudulent evolutionary fossil that fooled millions.
Of course they overlooked these ships as a historic fact. How Atheist of them.
(420×58 ft) Tessarakonteres
(377×46 ft) Thalamegos
416×170 ft) Chinese treasure ship
Regardless of who or what you quote, the Noah Flood story did not ever occur on this planet; not since there was life on it, anyway, and that is a proven fact, which you can argue until the cows come home, but you will always be wrong.

Theorizing about the possibility of a ship, is only one of many hurdles that believers cannot cross.

Location hidden

#183094 Nov 7, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
The flood story was before the Sumerians. Name some other older civilizations.
Dave, you have proved that as fact, based on what????????

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#183095 Nov 7, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You made two assertions. No documentation, and refusal to let it be examined. Cite your sources for that information.
Why are the Folsom points older in America than China?
Explain the bell, especially the figure on top and the alloy.
Explain the skull.
Those things exist. They have been around for a while. They are not recent finds.
Are you saying that there is documentation on the exact location and positioning of this supposed hammer? Has there in fact been any independent analysis?

These aren't things I need to cite. They are measures required to give any kind of consideration for this hammer (and other supposed anomalies).

And you know this is true because you immediately try moving the goal post. Pathetic.

Location hidden

#183096 Nov 7, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
How interesting, I didn’t know it never rained fresh water over the oceans.
Yes but the Flood is talking several miles deep water above current sea levels. If that all came as rainfall then it would be far in excess of all the salt water in the world, which would in essence kill most salt water life, and also the salt water mixing onto the fresh water for not salt water living creatures would kill many of them.

Location hidden

#183097 Nov 7, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
http://ngm.nationalgeographic. com/2011/06/gobekli-tepe/musi- photography
"The Birth of Religion
We used to think agriculture gave rise to cities and later to writing, art, and religion. Now the world’s oldest temple suggests the urge to worship sparked civilization."
That ought to get some Topix atheists to yammering.
Why?? Atheism is not based on what we didn't know before, but on the fact that we never knew that a god of any kind exists. Yes, ancient peoples had religions, because, especially before the last few hundred years, almost everything that man confronted could not be explained. Today most of the things we confront can be explained, not requiring magic or an invisible super being.

But to correct myself. Atheism is not based on anything, but rather is the absence of any belief in something that has never been demonstrated to exist.

Alamosa, CO

#183098 Nov 7, 2013
boooots wrote:
<quoted text>
Dave, you have proved that as fact, based on what????????
The Sumerians had a flood story?

Duh.

Location hidden

#183099 Nov 7, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Anytime you're drowning, your world is drowning. Just have a near drowning experience and you will understand.
Yes, but this issue is not about one person's personal experience of near drowning, and I have had two of them about 50 years apart, the last being in Jan 2010, and in both cases, had I been in he same place at the same time, and had been entirely alone, I would have died. Of course in that case the second near downing would not have occurred since I would have already been dead for around 50 years.

If a person is determined to do something reckless that will ultimately kill them, I would highly recommend drowning, though, as it is not a particularly bad experience, as one would imagine, at all. Put aside the horrible panic that you are going to die, and the rest is pretty well a piece of cake. I am only not going to put myself in a position of trying for a 3rd successful near drowning, because I want to hang around for quite a number of years.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#183100 Nov 7, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I “BELIEVE” in evolution on a microbiological scale.
I also made tons of intermediate chemicals for herbicides. We were on the cutting edge of herbicides chemistry. We had one cascade falling reactor system dedicated just for these intermediate chemicals directed to the farm industry.
Then we also had two dedicated continuous 3,000 gallon glass lined reactors running on a continuous basis. All of these reactions required a continuous flow of catalyst to keep the reaction going. None of these chemicals had a pleasant odor. They were toxic and smelled like dirty socks that reeked.
When I get time I will look at the evolutionary track for whales. The grandkids are coming over to spend the night and so I’m going to be busy. I do love you Doctor. Not in a homo way but as a son loves his father. I just wish you weren’t so pissed off all the time. Life is too short my Music Doctor.[tipping hat].
You do know that evolutionary biologist's, people who have spent their entire lives dedicated to the study of evolution, NEVER use the terms micro and macro when talking about evolution, it's a meaningless distinction for them. There is NO difference between microevolution and macroevolution. Creationist's and creation web sites try and use these terms in order to discredit the facts of evolution. There is NO difference between the two.

Really try and understand exactly what the term evolution means: Hereditary changes in a population over time, thats it. These changes occur for many different reasons. Better adaptation to the environment, natural selection. Reptiles have not changed much in millions of years, same with some insects because, they are so well adapted to their environment there is no reason for them to change. Alligators for example are perfectly adapted to their environment, no appreciable change would benefit them. Whales on the other hand have changed dramatically over millions of years, from a land mammal to a mammal in an aquatic environment. It has adapted to this environment despite the difficulties of a land mammal in an aquatic environment. No gills, it bears it's young live, and must, in the case of the Sperm whale, hold its breath and dive almost a mile down to feed.

I asked about insecticides because insect "evolve" to become resistant to insecticides, and newer and more powerful insecticides have to be used. The process of evolution is going on right now, in bacteria that "evolve" to become resistant to antibiotics, and in insects that do the same.

Alamosa, CO

#183101 Nov 7, 2013
boooots wrote:
<quoted text>
Why?? Atheism is not based on what we didn't know before, but on the fact that we never knew that a god of any kind exists. Yes, ancient peoples had religions, because, especially before the last few hundred years, almost everything that man confronted could not be explained. Today most of the things we confront can be explained, not requiring magic or an invisible super being.
But to correct myself. Atheism is not based on anything, but rather is the absence of any belief in something that has never been demonstrated to exist.
Oh, an empty mind until filled with something?

I can accept that for neo-atheism. Really.

The ancient atheists didn't have the science you fall back on as justification for your "non-belief". Intellectual reasoning on their part. Vacuousness and emotional reaction on your part.

I'm on here not just to defend theists from your emotions, but also to protect the honor of real atheists. Dummies hijacked the name.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 min DBWriter 1,657,376
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 8 min Bruddah Z 322,098
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 1 hr Into The Night 11,899
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 14 hr Chosen Traveler 35,087
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Nov 26 Okboy 201,885
How to Recover Deleted or lost Contacts from Sa... (Dec '14) Sep '17 Alice Meng 13
Conn's Appliances (Nov '07) Sep '17 Love 292
More from around the web