Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
175,341 - 175,360 of 224,728 Comments Last updated 50 min ago
Thinking

Gillingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2013

Judged:

Bollocks.
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheists are 2% of the population.

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2013

Judged:

Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
I am sorry you had to endure that-- but, the christian philosophy **does** enable the worst in people.
That old "Jesus forgive" thing again-- there is zero incentive to behave ethically towards anyone else-- they have an instant "get out of jail free" magical spell.
.. meh.
I have found a somewhat different experience-- yes, I've run into a few azzholes who were **always** christians.
But for the most part? People put on their "christian coat" when it suits them, and never-ever let it interfere with their day-to-day routines.
Such folk? Tend to be mostly good, and do mostly nice things--- they just wish to live their lives, have sufficient food, raise their babies in relative peace, and not have leaky roofs.
Give the majority of folk those things? They will be ... relatively happy. ;)(alliterative word use relatively deliberate) <heh>
If only the branch of christianity that **stressed** doing good works, had been the winner in the early dogma wars...!
What a **different** world we'd have today--if that were the case.
...*sigh*
My best friend is chrsitian, real christian and she despairs at some of the ones who call themselves christian on here. Other than daily life contacts (I can not call many other christians friend) I have met quite a few christians from everyday people right up to high flying to notch church management.

I agree with much of what you say, the problem is that many of the “everyday people”(certainly on topix and to a lesser extent in life) tend to wear their “christian cloak” at the slightest excuse. Gives them something they believe to be tangible that they can hide behind. And for sure several of the ones I know do allow their belief to interfere with their daily lives.

The contradiction is that the higher one looks into the church the less reliance on the christian cloak you find. They tend to see it as a job but for some reason do not consider the hypocrisy.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2013

Judged:

Thinking wrote:
Bollocks.
<quoted text>
"Atheists comprised an estimated 2.01%, and non-religious a further 9.66% of the world population, according to The World Factbook in 2010."

"Studies and statistics

The demographics of atheism are substantially difficult to quantify. Different people interpret atheism and related terms differently, and it can be hard to draw boundaries between atheism, nonreligious beliefs, and nontheistic religious and spiritual beliefs. Furthermore, atheists may not report themselves as such, to prevent suffering from social stigma, discrimination, and persecution in some countries.[8]

Because some governments have strongly promoted atheism and others have strongly condemned it, atheism may be either over-reported or under-reported for different countries. There is a great deal of room for debate as to the accuracy of any method of estimation, as the opportunity for misreporting (intentionally or not) a category of people without an organizational structure is high. Also, many surveys on religious identification ask people to identify themselves as "agnostics" or "atheists", which is potentially confusing, since these terms are interpreted differently, with some identifying themselves as being agnostic atheists. Additionally, many of these surveys only gauge the number of irreligious people, not the number of actual atheists, or group the two together. For example, research indicates that the fastest growing religious status may be "no religion" in the United States, but this includes all kinds of atheists, agnostics, and theists.[9][10] Non-religious people make up 9.66%, while one fifth of them are atheists."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_...

One other sign of paranoia is the belief the rest of the world is behind them. It goes with the delusion of grandeur.

I suppose you believe everyone will follow you on your path to victory and glory?

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2013

Judged:

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Uh huh.
Lovey, take a look at percentages of the global population that are classified as having a mental disorder. Some range fairly high. Schizophrenia runs about .7 percent, paranoia much higher, personality disorders even higher.
Understand those are classified as being a bit nuts by medical standards.
Atheists are 2% of the population. They are convinced others are out to get them, and that they alone "know the truth". I guess enlightened would be another term for that truth. Plus they want to kill religion and lead the mental deficients who believed in them down the proper path. All 98% of the population.
Hmmmmmm.......
Take a look at China - 20% of the worlds population and over half - that is more than 10% of the worlds atheist palpation lives in the one country – so that one country alone makes a mockery of your lies.

Then of course there are the other countries and continents. More than 30% of Europe is atheist and Europe accounts for about 15% of the world’s population

Then Russia, around 13% of 145 million

Then America which actually is about 2%, perhaps this is where you are getting your figures, That great CIA screw up lie. But of course you believe that the US is the world and nothing exists outside that fooking big wall you call a border so the CIA must be right – right?

The total comes to around 18.6%

So that’s lie 1.

Lie 2, atheist are not convinced godbots are out to get them, that’s is pure projection. Atheist don’t really care what you want to believe just so long as you don’t attempt to ram it down their throat accompanied by threats. However when you do then please don’t be suppressed if the kick you in the balls.

98% lie 3

Not doing so well this morning are you dave?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2013

Judged:

ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Take a look at China - 20% of the worlds population and over half - that is more than 10% of the worlds atheist palpation lives in the one country – so that one country alone makes a mockery of your lies.
Then of course there are the other countries and continents. More than 30% of Europe is atheist and Europe accounts for about 15% of the world’s population
Then America which actually is about 2%, perhaps this is where you are getting your figures, That great CIA screw up lie. But of course you believe that the US is the world and nothing exists outside that fooking big wall you call a border so the CIA must be right – right?
So that’s lie 1.
Lie 2, atheist are not convinced godbots are out to get them, that’s is pure projection. Atheist don’t really care what you want to believe just so long as you don’t attempt to ram it down their throat accompanied by threats. However when you do then please don’t be suppressed if the kick you in the balls.
98% lie 3
Read my previous post.

Also, consider there is an extremely minute portion of those who identify as atheists that get on forums such as this or other venues railing against the "evils" of religion.

Look up the definition of paranoia.

I am not presenting this to convince you, sweetie. Given the realities, that could not be effected without some professional help and administration of controlled substances. It is just to point out some rather obvious symptoms prevalent within the Topix atheist community to those more capable of rational discernment of reality than they are.
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2013

Judged:

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
"Atheists comprised an estimated 2.01%, and non-religious a further 9.66% of the world population, according to The World Factbook in 2010."
"Studies and statistics
The demographics of atheism are substantially difficult to quantify. Different people interpret atheism and related terms differently, and it can be hard to draw boundaries between atheism, nonreligious beliefs, and nontheistic religious and spiritual beliefs. Furthermore, atheists may not report themselves as such, to prevent suffering from social stigma, discrimination, and persecution in some countries.[8]
Because some governments have strongly promoted atheism and others have strongly condemned it, atheism may be either over-reported or under-reported for different countries. There is a great deal of room for debate as to the accuracy of any method of estimation, as the opportunity for misreporting (intentionally or not) a category of people without an organizational structure is high. Also, many surveys on religious identification ask people to identify themselves as "agnostics" or "atheists", which is potentially confusing, since these terms are interpreted differently, with some identifying themselves as being agnostic atheists. Additionally, many of these surveys only gauge the number of irreligious people, not the number of actual atheists, or group the two together. For example, research indicates that the fastest growing religious status may be "no religion" in the United States, but this includes all kinds of atheists, agnostics, and theists.[9][10] Non-religious people make up 9.66%, while one fifth of them are atheists."
One other sign of paranoia is the belief the rest of the world is behind them. It goes with the delusion of grandeur.
I suppose you believe everyone will follow you on your path to victory and glory?
Here we go again. I don't think you deliberately mislead, but for some reason feel desperate to believe there's a god.

Who in their right mind seriously believes that a god sent a prophet to Earth? That rules out an belief by most people in an Abrahamic god. So we aren't talking about widespread belief in a literally Abrahmic god.

So if we assume that most people don't believe in an Abrahmic god or any of these...
http://www.godchecker.com/
Where does this much-quoted figure of 2% come from? According you your source, it is the World Factbook..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_World_Factbo...

Analysis of how they arrived at that figure isn't easy to say, but if they used things like the UK's 2001 or 2011 census, they would have been wildly mislead about the country I live in.

The evidence seems overwhelming that religion is in decline in all developed countries. In the UK, I think there is little more belief in gods than in pixies. Religion is often more tolerated or ignored than supported, as shown in the decline in Church numbers. In Scotland, more marriages are now conducted by the Humanist Society of Scotland than by the Catholic Church, and that ignores all the humanist and celebrant organisations that do marriages and aren't affiliated with the HSS.

I think non-belief is the rational position and is coming to be the norm amongst educated people who seriously think about the question.
Thinking

Gillingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2013

Judged:

Yet every subsection in your article points to far higher percentages.
Thanks for that gift Dave.
You're still talking bollocks.
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
"Studies and statistics
Thinking

Gillingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2013

Judged:

I prefer to count "non believers" because dishonest cu*ts like Dave will use the restrictive "100% no possibility of any form of deity" definition of Atheism to further their lies.
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
So that’s lie 1.
98% lie 3
Thinking

Gillingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2013

Judged:

Indeed you are a leg-end.
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm quite popular.
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2013

Judged:

ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
So that’s lie 1.
True enough. And that doesn't take account of all the people who indicate a religious belief in a census but have none. I was a "Christian" in the 2001 census and I haven't believed in any of the currently defined gods since I was in my early teens or younger.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2013

Judged:

EdSed wrote:
<quoted text>Here we go again. I don't think you deliberately mislead, but for some reason feel desperate to believe there's a god.
Who in their right mind seriously believes that a god sent a prophet to Earth? That rules out an belief by most people in an Abrahamic god. So we aren't talking about widespread belief in a literally Abrahmic god.
So if we assume that most people don't believe in an Abrahmic god or any of these...
http://www.godchecker.com/
Where does this much-quoted figure of 2% come from? According you your source, it is the World Factbook..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_World_Factbo...
Analysis of how they arrived at that figure isn't easy to say, but if they used things like the UK's 2001 or 2011 census, they would have been wildly mislead about the country I live in.
The evidence seems overwhelming that religion is in decline in all developed countries. In the UK, I think there is little more belief in gods than in pixies. Religion is often more tolerated or ignored than supported, as shown in the decline in Church numbers. In Scotland, more marriages are now conducted by the Humanist Society of Scotland than by the Catholic Church, and that ignores all the humanist and celebrant organisations that do marriages and aren't affiliated with the HSS.
I think non-belief is the rational position and is coming to be the norm amongst educated people who seriously think about the question.
You are confusing "non-belief" with disaffection with the established religions, religions being the method instruction in it is passed on. The belief there is no metaphysical and thus spirituality is the basis of atheism, not opposition to how a particular belief is taught. May I point out that sects of a religion are formed from those differences in how it is taught, and not denial of the basic tenets of it?

The preponderance of Topix atheists have more than just simple mental issues. There is a difference between eccentricity of thought and being a raving lunatic.
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2013

Judged:

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
... There is a difference between eccentricity of thought and being a raving lunatic.
And you epitomize it

Religion = superstition
Theology = mythology
Get over it.

“Michin yeoja”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2013

Judged:

Thinking wrote:
Indeed you are a leg-end.
<quoted text>
I'm not quite sure how to take that.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2013

Judged:

A look at a list of Eagle 12's uneducated, willfully ignorant, mind numbing slobbering idiocy:

1.) Floating debris from the Japanese tsunami and the Nina, Pinta, and the Santa Maria, are the same as a 400 foot Ark loaded with every animal on the planet along with food for a year.

2.) The ark had a septic system. No reference to this in his holy book, so when questioned decided he'd just make shit up.

3.) When confronted wit the genetic bottle neck problem, he calls scientific FACTS and Genetic research "speculation and unproven."

4.) He doesn't believe his own holy book, says the Noah Flood was "regional" and the animals ONLY from that region.

5) He continues to dispute his holy book by saying the mountain tops were covered in SNOW, even though his holy book says the world was covered in FLOOD WATERS.

6.) Flat out avoided questions on animals needing special diets and animals from down under.

Avoiding questions he know he has no answer for or actually knows they are true, making insane correlations, rejecting scientific facts, and when backed into a corner (most of the time) he turns on his own holy book reinterpreting the actual words to shape his own conclusions.

Dishonest, ignorant, and deceitful, he has NO redeeming qualities whatsoever.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2013

Judged:

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
"Studies and statistics
Your previous post stated that Atheists comprised an estimated 2.01%

Take a look at the statistics for China
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_Chin...

53.41% of the population are either agnostic or atheist,
The population is 1.351 billion as of 2012, that is about 10% of the WORLD population. That one country alone shows you 2,01% is incorrect

Take a look at the statistics for Europe
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_Euro...
That continent alone

Both prove the 2% figure to be godbot wishfull thinking.

I don’t really give a damn what you are presenting it for, it is a lie. End of story

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2013

Judged:

Thinking wrote:
I prefer to count "non believers" because dishonest cu*ts like Dave will use the restrictive "100% no possibility of any form of deity" definition of Atheism to further their lies.
<quoted text>
That’s because dave and his cronies are liars

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2013

Judged:

EdSed wrote:
<quoted text>True enough. And that doesn't take account of all the people who indicate a religious belief in a census but have none. I was a "Christian" in the 2001 census and I haven't believed in any of the currently defined gods since I was in my early teens or younger.
I too was a christian as a child and christened.

I have on several occasions requested that the church remove me from their list of those christened and they refuse. Therefore I am still counted christian by their calculations

I wonder how many more people are in a similar situation

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2013

Judged:

ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
I too was a christian as a child and christened.
I have on several occasions requested that the church remove me from their list of those christened and they refuse. Therefore I am still counted christian by their calculations
I wonder how many more people are in a similar situation
You should worry more about those that have listed you as a fruitcake.

“There is no god!”

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2013

Judged:

LCNLin wrote:
<quoted text>
Your atheist buddy Hitler seemed to see things your way?
Atheism outlawed in Nazi Germany = Case closed he was a Christian

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2013

Judged:

Mikko wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheism outlawed in Nazi Germany = Case closed he was a Christian
Wow, there's a clincher. I never knew free thought was banned in Germany under Hitler, but here it is...

During negotiations leading to the Nazi-Vatican Concordat of April 26, 1933 Hitler stated that "Secular schools can never be tolerated" because of their irreligious tendencies.[20] In a speech made later in 1933, Hitler claimed to have "stamped [Gottlosenbewegung] it out".[15] The word Hitler used, "Gottlosenbewegung", refers specifically to the communist freethought movement, not atheism in general

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discrimination_a...

That just blows the doors off these Christians who say Hitler was atheist.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent NCAA Basketball Discussions

Search the NCAA Basketball Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 6 min Buroc Millhouse Obama 1,084,554
UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 18 min Bruin Nation 26,749
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 9 hr Brian_G 305,184
Charlotte Hornets: Does Josh Davis Deserve a Ro... Thu TJS 1
Conn's Appliances (Nov '07) Wed Robert Z 278
K-State's Stephen Hurt adapting to new surround... Jul 29 Monica 2
loan offer with low interest Jul 28 Pastor james 1
•••
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••