Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#182450 Nov 2, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
IANS, you are a displaced god.
Aw, shucks. I do what I can.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#182452 Nov 2, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
It is you and some scholars that limit that time. Not the Bible.
LOL!

You are really reaching here--- seriously, you must live in a world made entirely up of your delusions and fantasizes.

No **wonder** they put you on such strong medication!
UIDIOTRACEMAKEWO RLDPEACE

United States

#182453 Nov 2, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Alcohol and prescription drugs are a poor combination. But thank God for the VA and public assistance. Where would people like Dave be without it? I sure hope the Republicans leave him alone.
our US Military mostly likely feeds them drugs -making them psychotic ... did you During WW2 the NAZI gOVT FEED THEIR sOLDIERS WITH PHYSICAL- ENHANCING DRUGS to keep soldier in top performing performance and alert and effect turn them into Pyscho-killing machines...
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#182454 Nov 2, 2013
boooots wrote:
<quoted text>
Nothing about the story is impossible other than everything about the story is impossible. What was described in the Bible about the Flood did not occur, ever. That is a known fact accepted by many prominent religious denominations of the Christian beliefs in the world. Man has not disproved God, nor will man, because if God does not exist, it is impossible to prove an non-existent thing. Man has proved that the Flood never occurred, could never occur, and will never occur on this planet.
RAB - Random Access Babbling
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#182455 Nov 2, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL!
You are really reaching here--- seriously, you must live in a world made entirely up of your delusions and fantasizes.
In reference to your comment about wooden ships.

Wow, National Geographic!

With all those color photo’s and everything. The same magazine that printed the "Archaeoraptor” in 1999. A faked and fraudulent evolutionary fossil that fooled millions.

Of course they overlooked these ships as a historic fact. How Atheist of them.

(420×58 ft) Tessarakonteres

(377×46 ft) Thalamegos

416×170 ft) Chinese treasure ship

Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#182456 Nov 2, 2013
<quoted text>
False.
I saw a show on National Geographic, where **real** scientists use **real** science, including the US Navy's ocean wave simulator, and proved that a wooden boat could not be built 450 feet long, without breaking in half.
Especially not fastened with wooden pegs-- the **only** tools Noah had available at the time.
Wow, National Geographic!

With all those color photo’s and everything. The same magazine that printed the "Archaeoraptor” in 1999. A faked and fraudulent evolutionary fossil that fooled millions.

Of course they overlooked these ships as a historic fact. How Atheist of them.

(420×58 ft) Tessarakonteres

(377×46 ft) Thalamegos

416×170 ft) Chinese treasure ship

Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#182457 Nov 2, 2013
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
You're beaten, man. Give it up.
Oh yea, sure whatever you say.[rolling eyes]

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#182458 Nov 2, 2013
<quoted text>
LOL!
The flood story was before the Sumerians. Name some other older civilizations.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#182459 Nov 2, 2013
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
So nothing's changed? Sorry to hear that.
Dave used to be happier than this early in the month. Have they moved check day from the first to the fifteenth or something? He gets crankier when the cigarettes run out.
Some of us get our period around this time. That may be Dave's problem.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#182460 Nov 2, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
It is you and some scholars that limit that time. Not the Bible.
As I have pointed out a couple of times, Noah's survivors are the ones that told the story. There was no one else, even the lineage of Cain. Noah was Adam and Eve via Seth. There was a pre-existing civilization that was said to be influenced by the "sons of god". They taught all of the skills and knowledge that Noah's line then carried on after it was obliterated. But you realized there were only eight. Took a while before a civilization arose again.
This is something I haven't looked at. The children of Adam and Eve took wives from who knows where. Those mystery wives. Some genetic mixing there. Did Noah's children take "strange women" as wives?
Are you high?

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#182461 Nov 2, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
The flood story was before the Sumerians. Name some other older civilizations.
Minoan

Location hidden

#182462 Nov 2, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Some of us get our period around this time. That may be Dave's problem.
Want to share it with me?

Location hidden

#182463 Nov 2, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Minoan
Sumerian is supposed to be older.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#182464 Nov 2, 2013
<quoted text>
It was a great post, and I saved it because of that. I have several posts from Topix greats in my files. Here are two from Polymath, both of which I have posted more often than he has:
FROM NEBULA TO INTELLIGENCE
http://www.topix.com/forum/city/la-mirada-ca/...
[1] A nebula condenses under gravity [a mindless force], which increases pressure and thereby temperature [a mindless process] and increasing the rate of spin [through conservation of angular momentum [a mindless process].
[2] The central condensation gets hot enough for nuclear fusion reactions to start at the center [mindless processes] and the periphery condenses into separate planets [gravity: a mindless process].
[3] Volatile materials on the planets [like water, ammonia, methane] tend to move towards the surfaces [mindless] forming oceans with a distribution of chemicals in them.
[4] The lipids [oils] tend to form spherical pockets trapping other chemicals.[mindless]. Through repeated cycles of drying, lightning discharge, decomposition, etc, some of these lipid vesicles grow and divide [seen in labs--mindless processes].
[5] basic metabolism starts in these early cells, capturing energy from the central star [now called the sun] to use in breaking down simple sugars [seen in labs-mindless processes].
[6] Feedback loops between the genetics and the metabolism arise [mutation and natural selection is active by now--we have life].[mindless forces]
[7] The genetic code stabilizes and the proteins which had been a side metabolism become the central metabolism.[mindless]
[8] These cells surround other cells to eat them, but occasionally set up symbiosis, forming more complex cells [eucaryotes]. These more complex cells also start reacting to the chemicals released by other cells [first to find food, then for congregation, etc].[mindless]
[9] Multi-cellular organisms form from associations of these cells [see Volvox as an example].[mindless]
[10] As mutation and natural selection do their thing, the complexity of life grows [this is observed in models of basic systems of mutating and selecting organisms]. The web connecting different species grows in complexity.
[11] Some multi-cellular organisms gain the ability to precipitate calcium compounds, which are hard and provide protection from predators [shells and bones]. They tend to survive longer to reproduce [mindless].
[12] As the complexity of the organisms increases, some species gain more and more complex sensory apparatus and processing systems [brains!]. Still no minds, though. This is also a survival advantage.[mindless]
[13] Eventually a species arises that is able to model its own internal behavior in its own system [self-awareness].[mindless process forming it]
[14] As complexity of the processing system increases further, you have intelligence. All through 'mindless forces'.
====
IS YOUR UNCLE AN APE?
http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/T25OKN0EE...
[1] Did your uncle have cells with membranes made of lipids rather than walls made from glucosides? If yes, your uncle was an animal.
[2] Did your uncle have a backbone? If yes, your uncle was a vertebrate.
[3] Did your uncle have any sort of body hair and the ability to regulate internal temperature? If yes, your uncle was a mammal.
[4] Did your uncle's mother have a uterus and was your uncle enclosed in a placenta before birth? Then your uncle was a placental mammal.
That's great.

A nuclear warhead exploding is also a "mindless process".

A beam bouncing from earth and back from a a global positioning satellite is also a "mindless process".

And so on. Everything is a "mindless process", depending on which part you look at.

I'm glad we had a "physicist" to point that out for us.

What would we have done?

Location hidden

#182465 Nov 2, 2013
<quoted text>
Somebody was just referring to mental masturbation, and then you appeared like Beetlejuice. Your first words were typical for you.
Should be "typical of you".

Still, I have no idea what you are saying.

Location hidden

#182466 Nov 2, 2013
<quoted text>
Dave. You're too well known for that answer. Your resentment of educated professionals was a frequent topic of discussion when I was posting with you last year. Has that changed since then?
Nice bridge.

"bridge", noun; - deflecting the original meaning of criticism from its actual intent to one that is easily disparaged and dismissed.

Example: Person A characterizes person B as an arrogant assholish doctor. Person B then recasts received criticism as "resentment of educated professional".

Person B, among dumb Topix posters who are his allies, is then regarded as sharp of mind.

Person B smiles contentedly.

Location hidden

#182467 Nov 2, 2013
The gulf that separates us from Gobekli Tepe's builders is almost unimaginable. Indeed, though I stood among the looming megaliths eager to take in their meaning, they didn't speak to me. They were utterly foreign, placed there by people who saw the world in a way I will never comprehend. There are no sources to explain what the symbols might mean. Schmidt agrees. "We're 6,000 years before the invention of writing here," he says."

"Hodder is fascinated that Gobekli Tepe's pillar carvings are dominated not by edible prey like deer and cattle but by menacing creatures such as lions, spiders, snakes and scorpions. "It's a scary, fantastic world of nasty-looking beasts," he muses."

""There's more time between Gobekli Tepe and the Sumerian clay tablets [etched in 3300 B.C.] than from Sumer to today," says Gary Rollefson, an archaeologist at Whitman College in Walla Walla, Washington, who is familiar with Schmidt's work. "Trying to pick out symbolism from prehistoric context is an exercise in futility.""

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history-archaeo...

It appears religion predates civilizations.

Born atheist?

Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#182468 Nov 2, 2013
<quoted text>
Your answer ignores the dilution effect on the ocean.
Even as little as 6 inches of freshwater suddenly appearing over the entire globe would ruin most marine life.
This is because most marine life lives at the very top layers in the ocean-- and are quite sensitive to differences in salinity.
But to make your story match the actual BuyBull(bible)? You'd need... more than a **mile** of freshwater dropping into the ocean...
...*poof** nearly all life in the oceans is suddenly and irrevocably dead.
How interesting, I didn’t know it never rained fresh water over the oceans.

Location hidden

#182469 Nov 2, 2013
http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2011/06/gob...

"The Birth of Religion
We used to think agriculture gave rise to cities and later to writing, art, and religion. Now the world’s oldest temple suggests the urge to worship sparked civilization."

That ought to get some Topix atheists to yammering.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#182470 Nov 2, 2013
<quoted text>
Your answer is a lie-- the bible clearly states the whole world was flooded.
Or else your **bible** is lying?
WHICH IS IT?
Either your bible is LYING or it isn't....!
There is no "interpretation" here-- it's true, or it is a LIE.
Anytime you're drowning, your world is drowning. Just have a near drowning experience and you will understand.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 14 min NTRPRNR1 1,129,827
Should child beauty pageants be banned? 2 hr female with su... 501
What role do you think humans play in global wa... 2 hr Earthling-1 1,626
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 3 hr Pearl Jam 306,370
UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 5 hr Bruin Nation 27,982
loan needed (Dec '13) Thu Lillyvet 6
Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Thu Rama 201,197

NCAA Basketball People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE