Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Comments (Page 8,751)

Showing posts 175,001 - 175,020 of223,062
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2013

Judged:

Buck Crick wrote:
Should he accept the "truth" that he should read books? Funny word - "should". Silent "L". Also funny when used by a rational skeptic. Ironic, I mean.
Somebody was just referring to mental masturbation, and then you appeared like Beetlejuice. Your first words were typical for you.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2013

Judged:

Dave Nelson wrote:
You remind me of that joke where God plays an even higher authority, a doctor. When you/ve been to the top you can pass judgement on everything, eh, IANS? But you forgot who the real gods were in your universe. The suits with the money. Did you notice they weren't as sensitive to human suffering as you? Probably not. You got the money, they just supplied it. Until... Now you are a retired god passing judgement. Life is good, is it not?
You seem overly preoccupied with my life. You seem to resent it, too.

I did the best I could. Did you?

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2013

Judged:

Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
As long as there's a poor Mamacita to clean his house.
I'd say the same to you that I just did to Dave.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2013

Judged:

Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Flattery will get you far-- would you like that in a check, or small bills?
LMAO!
It was a great post, and I saved it because of that. I have several posts from Topix greats in my files. Here are two from Polymath, both of which I have posted more often than he has:

FROM NEBULA TO INTELLIGENCE
http://www.topix.com/forum/city/la-mirada-ca/...

[1] A nebula condenses under gravity [a mindless force], which increases pressure and thereby temperature [a mindless process] and increasing the rate of spin [through conservation of angular momentum [a mindless process].

[2] The central condensation gets hot enough for nuclear fusion reactions to start at the center [mindless processes] and the periphery condenses into separate planets [gravity: a mindless process].

[3] Volatile materials on the planets [like water, ammonia, methane] tend to move towards the surfaces [mindless] forming oceans with a distribution of chemicals in them.

[4] The lipids [oils] tend to form spherical pockets trapping other chemicals.[mindless]. Through repeated cycles of drying, lightning discharge, decomposition, etc, some of these lipid vesicles grow and divide [seen in labs--mindless processes].

[5] basic metabolism starts in these early cells, capturing energy from the central star [now called the sun] to use in breaking down simple sugars [seen in labs-mindless processes].

[6] Feedback loops between the genetics and the metabolism arise [mutation and natural selection is active by now--we have life].[mindless forces]

[7] The genetic code stabilizes and the proteins which had been a side metabolism become the central metabolism.[mindless]

[8] These cells surround other cells to eat them, but occasionally set up symbiosis, forming more complex cells [eucaryotes]. These more complex cells also start reacting to the chemicals released by other cells [first to find food, then for congregation, etc].[mindless]

[9] Multi-cellular organisms form from associations of these cells [see Volvox as an example].[mindless]

[10] As mutation and natural selection do their thing, the complexity of life grows [this is observed in models of basic systems of mutating and selecting organisms]. The web connecting different species grows in complexity.

[11] Some multi-cellular organisms gain the ability to precipitate calcium compounds, which are hard and provide protection from predators [shells and bones]. They tend to survive longer to reproduce [mindless].

[12] As the complexity of the organisms increases, some species gain more and more complex sensory apparatus and processing systems [brains!]. Still no minds, though. This is also a survival advantage.[mindless]

[13] Eventually a species arises that is able to model its own internal behavior in its own system [self-awareness].[mindless process forming it]

[14] As complexity of the processing system increases further, you have intelligence. All through 'mindless forces'.

====

IS YOUR UNCLE AN APE?
http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/T25OKN0EE...

[1] Did your uncle have cells with membranes made of lipids rather than walls made from glucosides? If yes, your uncle was an animal.

[2] Did your uncle have a backbone? If yes, your uncle was a vertebrate.

[3] Did your uncle have any sort of body hair and the ability to regulate internal temperature? If yes, your uncle was a mammal.

[4] Did your uncle's mother have a uterus and was your uncle enclosed in a placenta before birth? Then your uncle was a placental mammal.

[5] Did your uncle have five digits on each hand and foot and a lack of claws, scales, horns and hooves? If yes, your uncle was a primate.

[6] Did your uncle have convoluted cerebral hemispheres, a large brain for his size of mammal, color vision, a lack of tail, and a lack of cheek pouches? If yes, your uncle was an ape.
Anon

Lakewood, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2013

Judged:

Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
[1] A wooden boat made to bible specifications would have broken in half with the first three foot wave.
Answer:
Pure speculation from a non nautical marine engineer who has not done test and studies on the matter.
A wooden boat that size without a rudder would founder and sink with the first set of five foot waves. The largest ships made of wood, by teams of shipbuilders, using better technology have been no longer than 300 feet. The Santa Maria was only 75 feet long. Genesis 6:15 puts the ark at 450 feet. It would be impossible for a ship this size to be made seaworthy, especially in light of the technology and the building team.
Answer: Again pure speculation and contrary to history.
(420◊58 ft) Tessarakonteres
(377◊46 ft) Thalamegos
416◊170 ft) Chinese treasure ship
Historical records from the document History of the Ming dynasty claim that the largest Chinese treasure ships were more than 400 feet
[3] There was only one hatch - in the top. How did they muck out the manure of five million species of animals?
Incorrect, there was a window and a door.
[4] Once the salt water receded, where was the vegetation necessary for life? What did the carnivores eat until the planet was repopulated? How did the animals get back to their habitats without food or fresh water?
Answer:
Same thing farmers and ranchers do in the winter time. They store hay and food stock.
[9] If the human race descended from Noah and his sons, we would see a genetic bottleneck in the human genome roughly 4,000 years back. Do we see this? No.
10] The population of the world is too high if all humanity came from only four breeding pairs a few thousand years ago.
Answer: Speculation and unproven.
[11] A 450ft boat could not hold two or seven or whatever of every species. The number and variation of species of insects alone-- would have filled up the ark, hundreds of times over.
Answer: Speculation and assumptions. A massive regional flood is not only possible but probable. And the Ark could have held regional animals.
12] Why are there ancient civilizations with continuous histories dating back to long before the generation of Noah? China and the Egyptians have such continuous histories, with no world sterilizing flood in them.
Answer: Nearly every culture in the world has a story of a massive flood in their history including China and Egypt.
[13] Cave paintings in Europe are drawn in Charcoal. Immersion in water would have erased them. These are 15,000 years and older.
Answer: I guess these cave paintings were signed, numbered and dated by the artist??? The charcoal itself may be 15,000 years old but that doesnít mean the paintings are that old.
[14] If there were a global flood, you would see a universal, world-wide layer of compressed mud dating the that time. This is not the case.
Answer: The earth was indeed covered mostly by water as evidence of marine animals at the top of the South Rim of the Grand Canyon. And much geological evidence points that most mountains were at one time underwater. However I do not attribute all that as being flood related. Itís just a geological fact the earth was covered by water.
15] Putting enough fresh [rain] water into the salt oceans to cover the mountains, would dilute it to dangerous levels killing all marine life
Answer: The mountains were covered in precipitation,(snow).
[17] How did animals get from Australia to the ark, or from the ark back to Australia? The animals living there now go back to pre-historic times, and most are unique to that continent. Koalas require special diets. How did Mr and Mrs Koala carry their food with them all the way from Australia?
Answer: A pre 1940ís childrenís interpretation that Atheist like to strictly adhere too.
You're beaten, man. Give it up.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2013

Judged:

albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>
An acquaintance of mine recently went to the "Creation Museum" in Kentucky. It's over 70,000 square feet large and completely dedication to prove the unerring accuracy of the bible.....
Here's the section on the story of Noah's Ark, with reproductions, virtual tours and explanations why creationism is true and evolution is 'impossible'....enjoy:
http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/nab/...
I would think that place should not be open to impressionable children. How do parents explain to children, who presumably go on to higher education, and find out the true facts about the evidence in and on the earth, that 100% proves that no Flood, as depicted in the myth about Noah, ever occurred, nor could it ever have occurred, on this earth, and that is for many different reasons, that it could not have occurred (none of which are difficult to understand)?

It should be a crime to teach things to children that are known lies. As for teaching them myths for which we have no concrete evidence either way, then it would be hard to legislate against them, other than the children should be told that they are things that people believe in; not things that man has proved to be true.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2013

Judged:

It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
You seem overly preoccupied with my life. You seem to resent it, too.
I did the best I could. Did you?
I have no reason to resent it.

You seem to think reaction to your hypocrisy is envy. It isn't.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2013

Judged:

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
I have no reason to resent it.
You seem to think reaction to your hypocrisy is envy. It isn't.
Come on, you've done it before.

You do resent people who are at the "top of the pile."

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2013

Judged:

Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I would agree that the Earth is a closed system.
Water can come from the normal cycle of evaporation and precipitation. Rain storms can move from other parts of the globe bringing with it torrential downpours.
Such as we see in the United States from tropical disturbances. Which by the way does cause massive flooding in our country.
We have seen flooding from excessive snow melts that has overwhelmed the Mississippi river. Flooding thousands of miles of river basins and homes.
In addition earthquakes have resulted in Tsunamiís which have caused massive flooding.
Another cause unintentional and intentional damming of water flow. Preventing the draining of excessive rain water.
Living in a floodplain or low lying area increases the chance of being flooded. So thereís a number of sources of flooding.
Iím sorry to hear you have blasphemed the Holy Spirit. I would love to hear more about your story as I find people and their journey interesting.
There is a huge gap, that is insurmountable, between water covering large sections of one part of the earth due to any number of natural or man-made occurrences, and water covering the whole earth to a depth of several miles above the sea levels of the earth today. That much water, considering the volume of a sphere increases drastically as the diameter increases could not possibly have existed anywhere on, in, and/or above the earth at any time that there has been anything living on this earth.

If we had total melting of all the ice on the earth, is is known that many of the world's major cities today, which tend to be near or at sea level, would be covered by the seas rising, and that would kill all living things on land, that stayed in those low-lying places at that time. But it would still not be miles deep of increased water, but only a few feet or yards.

Yes, if supernatural events do happen, which has never been shown, then it is conceivable that anything that man could imagine and write in a book, such as the Bible, could hypothetically be possible. Saying hypothetically that something could be possible under unnatural circumstances, though, does not mean that such occurrences have happened, or do happen.

The very fact that there is no evidence of any worldwide Flood several miles deep ever happened, and a lot of evidence which proves 100% that the Earth never experienced a Flood that killed all living things during any period of man's existence on this Earth, does seem to be a pretty good suggestion that the Flood is a myth, and likely was intended as a myth by whoever first created the story.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2013

Judged:

Clark Griswold wrote:
<quoted text>Eagle read what you just wrote... the water covered THE WHOLE PLANET!
To a depth of several miles above today's sea levels - IMPOSSIBLE!!!!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2013

Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Cultures have been building boats ever since man has been on the Earth.
The population of the Earth numerically was significantly lower than today. Itís not known how far mankind had traversed on land from their original beginnings.
The Earth as they knew it may have been regionally. Meaning it was possible to have the regions animals captured and put on the Ark.
The problem Atheist have with the story of the Noahís flood. Is their very narrow perception. They refuse to look at the possibilities because they want to exaggerate the story beyond reason.
Thereís absolutely nothing about this story that was impossible. We have seen catastrophic natural disasters on the Earth in our lifetime. We know that humans can build massive and impressive structures. Even in ancient times.
We know that precipitation can cover mountain tops.
Atheist are the ones who try to make the story far fetched and itís anything but that. Itís just reality. The Earth floods today and it did in their time.
Nothing about the story is impossible other than everything about the story is impossible. What was described in the Bible about the Flood did not occur, ever. That is a known fact accepted by many prominent religious denominations of the Christian beliefs in the world. Man has not disproved God, nor will man, because if God does not exist, it is impossible to prove an non-existent thing. Man has proved that the Flood never occurred, could never occur, and will never occur on this planet.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2013

Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> I like how Lewis says it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch...
I am watching that now. Well done.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2013

cool_12 wrote:
surah yaseen < check out please its a part of Quran
www.youtube.com/watch...
No disrespect intended, but did you have a point to putting on this link?

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2013

Judged:

Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Come on, you've done it before.
You do resent people who are at the "top of the pile."
?

So you do consider yourself elite?

Thank you for the honesty, although it took some doing to get it out of you.

You stink.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2013

Judged:

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Assuming is a large part of your reasoning process.
That Jehovah is a representation of a higher authority and force behind the creation of this universe and us. It doesn't have to be as pictured.
You are reacting to men's perversions of that representation and have puffed up your little ego to Biblical proportions in reacting to them and are including that force with them. You are no better than them.
A chaotic and random creation belief suits your ego better.
I assume that you are a man, or at least a human. Does that mean, then, that you have an understanding outside man's ability to understand? If a god exists, then you must be God. Is that true?

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2013

Judged:

Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Again you are going to have to let go of this pre-1940's interpretation. You're stuck in the past. This is 2013.
Indeed it is 2013.

So.

Why do you still worship a god as described in a book, that has this god murdering babies on multiple occasions?

Hmmm?

That is so.... Bronze Age.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2013

Judged:

Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
[1] A wooden boat made to bible specifications would have broken in half with the first three foot wave.
Answer:
Pure speculation from a non nautical marine engineer who has not done test and studies on the matter.
False.

I saw a show on National Geographic, where **real** scientists use **real** science, including the US Navy's ocean wave simulator, and proved that a wooden boat could not be built 450 feet long, without breaking in half.

Especially not fastened with wooden pegs-- the **only** tools Noah had available at the time.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2013

Judged:

Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Again you are going to have to let go of this pre-1940's interpretation. You're stuck in the past. This is 2013.
Riiight...riiight

In 50 years or so, the Noah myth will have evolved to a wooden nuclear powered submarine and DNA samples kept in cold storage - from the snow covered mountaintops reached by a jet pack Noah kept on board the sub just for harvesting the ice - so the animals can be recreated in "Noah lab 1".
christINSANITY is EVIL

Petrolia, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2013

Judged:

LCNLin wrote:
<quoted text>
In Tourette syndrome, compulsive swearing can be uncontrollable and undesired by the person uttering the phrases. Involuntary outbursts, such as Sh***..are exhibited often in trolls
is that what Your doctors diagnosis concluded regarding your state of mind?

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2013

Judged:

Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
[3] There was only one hatch - in the top. How did they muck out the manure of five million species of animals?
Incorrect, there was a window and a door.
But. The door was magically sealed by god himself-- Noah was not allowed to open it until god told him it was safe.

The question stands-- how did Noah muck out a thousand tones of animal shyt every day? Using just himself and his sons?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 175,001 - 175,020 of223,062
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••