Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258473 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: May 11

Location hidden

#182369 Nov 2, 2013

Since: Sep 08

Alamosa, CO

#182370 Nov 2, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Irrelevant to the matter at hand. The bible refers to a flood in which all terrestrial life drowns.
<quoted text>
Also irrelevant to the matter at hand. The floods you refer to don't even extinguish most local life.
<quoted text>
Was all local life not on a boat drowned? If not, this story is also irrelevant to this discussion.
You have made no progress here arguing faith based beliefs to evidence based thinkers, so why bother continuing? As you have seen, the biblical account is not believable without faith, with which anything (and its opposite) can be believed.
There is no basis for discussion here. All you have to offer is your faith and the mental gymnastics that support it, and all we have to offer in return is evidence and reason. Neither of us is able to reach the other.
The account is of an event that happened before all known civilizations, and essentially history. It became the second generation of man from seed stock.

There was an infection inserted into the first generation from outside. The "sons of god". The physical traces were removed, but the enhanced knowledge was passed on. Not necessarily the mental processes, but the material skills and sciences learned from them.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#182371 Nov 2, 2013
River Tam wrote:
H2O, One Hydrogen and two Oxygen molecules. Water in the frozen form. BOOM. New science.
Hey there, River.

Fennario

#182372 Nov 2, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
You should quite reading books and blindly accepting them as "truths" about your creation and start thinking about what you read.
Perhaps you should stop blindly accepting what you think as "truth" and read books.

Alamosa, CO

#182373 Nov 2, 2013
<quoted text>
Perhaps you should stop blindly accepting what you think as "truth" and read books.
I've read as many books as you have brain cells. The difference is I understood what they were and how to put them in perspective.

“What?”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#182374 Nov 2, 2013
<quoted text>
Hey there, River.
Hello IANS.

I never know if your making fun of me or not.

I'm a hoot, that's what I am.

“What?”

Location hidden

#182375 Nov 2, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
I've read as many books as you have brain cells. The difference is I understood what they were and how to put them in perspective.
The books or the brain cells?

Fennario

#182376 Nov 2, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
Assuming is a large part of your reasoning process.
That should please a faith based thinker like you. Assuming is 100% of faith based thought.
Dave Nelson wrote:
That Jehovah is a representation of a higher authority and force behind the creation of this universe and us. It doesn't have to be as pictured.
Thanks for that, but I was already aware that Jehovah is mythical.
Dave Nelson wrote:
You are reacting to men's perversions of that representation
That's the real part - the part we'd like to see diminished.
Dave Nelson wrote:
A chaotic and random creation belief suits your ego better.
Yes, and a god that thinks you're special suits yours.

Reality is a little intimidating, Dave, but with courage, we can learn to stand upright and face it on its own terms. Instead of wallowing in the comforting swaddling of superstition and magical thinking, we can stand upright, look out into the a sky that may contain no creators gods at all, and accept the very real possibility that we may be all there is for light years.

Accept that you may be vulnerable and not watched over.

Accept the likelihood of your own mortality and finititude.

And if your ego will permit it, accept the reality of your insignificance everywhere but earth. Accept that you might be unloved except by those who know you - a few people and perhaps a few other animals.

Because as far as we know, that's how it is.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#182377 Nov 2, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, I guess we can add "cells" to the list of things you don't understand...

Fennario

#182378 Nov 2, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
Science also conclusively demonstrates Evolution - the fact of life that sh*ts on your creationist cults lies.
Dave Nelson wrote:
Ever watch time lapse movies of the construction of various things? The finished product does not usually look like the components.
Good rebuttal.

Alamosa, CO

#182380 Nov 2, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
The books or the brain cells?
Both.

One produces the other. Much like EM induction. Spurious signals affect the output of both.

:-)

Alamosa, CO

#182381 Nov 2, 2013
<quoted text>
That should please a faith based thinker like you. Assuming is 100% of faith based thought.
<quoted text>
Thanks for that, but I was already aware that Jehovah is mythical.
<quoted text>
That's the real part - the part we'd like to see diminished.
<quoted text>
Yes, and a god that thinks you're special suits yours.
Reality is a little intimidating, Dave, but with courage, we can learn to stand upright and face it on its own terms. Instead of wallowing in the comforting swaddling of superstition and magical thinking, we can stand upright, look out into the a sky that may contain no creators gods at all, and accept the very real possibility that we may be all there is for light years.
Accept that you may be vulnerable and not watched over.
Accept the likelihood of your own mortality and finititude.
And if your ego will permit it, accept the reality of your insignificance everywhere but earth. Accept that you might be unloved except by those who know you - a few people and perhaps a few other animals.
Because as far as we know, that's how it is.
You are amusing if not sufficiently intellectually endowed.

You need to accept those things yourself, bro. Been there, done that. I was never ever a god like yourself. Wouldn't know where to start.

Physician, heal thyself.

Fennario

#182384 Nov 2, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
The account is of an event that happened before all known civilizations, and essentially history.
The account is of a myth. If it weren't it would be history. Your choice of words indicates that you know that.
Dave Nelson wrote:
It became the second generation of man from seed stock.
And how about that hare-brained plan? Any comment about trying to rid the world of sinful people by nearly sterilizing it and repopulating it with the same stock? The plan was not only needlessly cruel, it's obviously fated to fail.
Dave Nelson wrote:
There was an infection inserted into the first generation from outside.
Whose fault would that be? The victim's? Where's the manufacturer's responsibility in all of this?
Dave Nelson wrote:
The "sons of god". The physical traces were removed, but the enhanced knowledge was passed on. Not necessarily the mental processes, but the material skills and sciences learned from them.
I'm sure that that means something, but I can't tell what.

How did you come by this arcane knowledge? From that thinking that you recommend over reading books?

“What?”

Location hidden

#182385 Nov 2, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Both.
One produces the other. Much like EM induction. Spurious signals affect the output of both.
:-)
Otay

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#182386 Nov 2, 2013
<quoted text>
Should he accept the "truth" that he should read books?

Funny word - "should".

Silent "L".

Also funny when used by a rational skeptic. Ironic, I mean.

“What?”

Location hidden

#182387 Nov 2, 2013
Oops.

Did I post as Buck Crick again?

Dammit

Location hidden

#182388 Nov 2, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You are amusing if not sufficiently intellectually endowed.
You need to accept those things yourself, bro. Been there, done that. I was never ever a god like yourself. Wouldn't know where to start.
Physician, heal thyself.
Dave, you didn't know doctors are gods?

Were you also unaware that secular humanists cast no value judgments upon others, as long as the others' value judgments agree?

Location hidden

#182389 Nov 2, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Otay
You were right - you are a hoot.

I farted from the laughter of reading that one.

Alamosa, CO

#182390 Nov 2, 2013
<quoted text>
The account is of a myth. If it weren't it would be history. Your choice of words indicates that you know that.
<quoted text>
And how about that hare-brained plan? Any comment about trying to rid the world of sinful people by nearly sterilizing it and repopulating it with the same stock? The plan was not only needlessly cruel, it's obviously fated to fail.
<quoted text>
Whose fault would that be? The victim's? Where's the manufacturer's responsibility in all of this?
<quoted text>
I'm sure that that means something, but I can't tell what.
How did you come by this arcane knowledge? From that thinking that you recommend over reading books?
You remind me of that joke where God plays an even higher authority, a doctor.

When you/ve been to the top you can pass judgement on everything, eh, IANS?

But you forgot who the real gods were in your universe. The suits with the money. Did you notice they weren't as sensitive to human suffering as you? Probably not. You got the money, they just supplied it. Until...

Now you are a retired god passing judgement. Life is good, is it not?

Location hidden

#182391 Nov 2, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You remind me of that joke where God plays an even higher authority, a doctor.
When you/ve been to the top you can pass judgement on everything, eh, IANS?
But you forgot who the real gods were in your universe. The suits with the money. Did you notice they weren't as sensitive to human suffering as you? Probably not. You got the money, they just supplied it. Until...
Now you are a retired god passing judgement. Life is good, is it not?
As long as there's a poor Mamacita to clean his house.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 min Guest 1,520,738
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 3 hr Susanm 313,923
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 4 hr SomePhaarts 32,913
I got my loan from [email protected] (Jun '13) Apr 20 GLOBAL FUNDING SO... 43
How to Recover Deleted or lost Contacts from Sa... (Dec '14) Apr 20 DelucaKoehn 11
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) Apr 18 RNC 11,137
Conn's Appliances (Nov '07) Apr 8 Allycat1999 290
More from around the web