Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 244882 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#182250 Oct 31, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
Atheists to Sue Alabama City After Police Partner With Pastors to Fight Crime With Christianity
MONTGOMERY, Ala.— A prominent atheist organization states that it plans to sue an Alabama city that was recently in headlines surrounding the launch of a new program that unites area pastors and police in reaching the hurting in the community.
As previously reported, this past summer, the Montgomery Police Department launched Operation Good Shepherd in response to the city’s high homicide rate, as Montgomery fears being on the path to becoming one of the most violent cities per capita in America. According to WSFA, the outreach program was modeled after the Police and Clergy Working Together (PACT) program in Dayton, Ohio.
“[F]aith leaders attend weekly classes in which police teach them ways they can discourage crime and show them exactly what’s happening in their communities,” the outlet explained.
Pastors are to accompany police at crime scenes, as well counsel and pray with those present, and attend monthly meetings to discuss areas of concern in regard to criminal activity in the city. Police training includes gang awareness and how to spot illegal drug activity.
Nearly 40 area clergy have completed the training, which were all recognized during a recent ceremony at Montgomery City Hall. Police chief Kevin Murphy issued diplomas to the pastors as their names were called.
“They’re going to make a difference, and they’re going to help everyone in their time of need see that change can be made,” Corporal David Hicks told those gathered.
However, once the group American Atheists of Cranford, New Jersey learned of the matter, it sent a letter to city officials demanding that they dissolve the new program.
http://christiannews.net/2013/10/28/atheists-...
Atheist want to sue Montgomery Alabama because a partnership with a volunteer group? In the community in which they have influence?
The goal of which is to build unity against crime and reduce crime in neighborhoods.

So people of faith are forbidden to participate in protecting their own neighborhoods? Doing whatever they can to have a positive influence?
Nope.

The Christians are free to help however they can, but the government is not free to use public funds to help them promote their religion, which is an unproven method of crime control anyway. Christianity doesn't reduce crime to lower levels among Christians than non-Christians.
Eagle 12 wrote:
And Atheist want to stop efforts to reduce crime?
Nope.

We want to stop efforts to use public resources to promote a religion that we think does more harm to the culture than good.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#182252 Nov 1, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
We are talking about rain and a global flood that sufficient to cover the mountains and drown almost all terrestrial life.
<quoted text>
Atheists here stubbornly insist on you sticking to the parameters of the story.
<quoted text>
I'm happy to acknowledge that snow falls on mountains, but it's irrelevant to the biblical account. Your god's miracles and magic get smaller every year. The Great Flood of the Christian bible is now just snowy mountaintops.
"Seems to me that Christians worship the incredible shrinking god. I mean at one time it was supposedly capable of flinging thousands of billions of galaxies into existence with a mere thought. By the time of Noah, it was reduced to flooding an insignificant speck in the cosmos.
"By the time of Moses, its best trick was moving a tiny portion of a minor sea aside for a short while. By the time of Jesus, it has to send a delegate on its behalf who leaves behind only rumors that he was able to turn water into another beverage, or render himself extra buoyant.
"Now it counts as a miracle if a water stain grows mold that kind of looks like a bearded face which could be claimed to resemble this supposed delegate. How much more pathetic can this god get? How do Christians manage to sing praises of its glory and greatness without feeling like fools--or at best, like new parents gushing over their toddler's ability to make a pee." – Kronk
========
Shall we amend the miracle from "By the time of Noah, it was reduced to flooding an insignificant speck in the cosmos" to "By the time of Noah, it was reduced to snowfall on the mountaintops of an insignificant speck in the cosmos"? How about "a great fog settled in the valley and made everything dewy"?
hahaaa..

"Dewy"

Good post.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#182253 Nov 1, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
DELAND, FL (FOX NEWS)– An Atheist in Florida is calling for his small city to change their seal. The complaint is that the cross, heart and anchor are symbols of the Christian faith and should be left out of government.
It all started with one complaint.“Someone in the city of DeLand said,‘We’re uncomfortable with the presence of a cross and religious symbols in our seal. It makes us non-Christians feel like second-class citizens.” said President of Americans United for Separation of Church and State Rabbi Merrill Shapiro.
That’s when the local chapter of Americans United for Separation of Church and State stepped in. They sent a letter asking the city to remove the three religious symbols, or stop using the seal.
“This is an intrusion of religion into the world of government. And the world of government and the world of religion should be separate as called for in the First Amendment of the United States constitution.” said Rabbi Merrill Shapiro.
The city is working on a response. In a statement, city manager Michael Pleus said,“The seal has been in place since the date of incorporation. It’s an important part of our historyand in 131 years, we’ve never had a complaint about our seal.”
If you look around Deland the seal decorates city signs, municipal buildings, police cruisers. Changing or removing it could cost deland thousands of dollars.
The city attorney is preparing a response to the letter. It should be ready sometime in the next two weeks.
By: Kate Burgesshttp://fox2now.com/2013 /09/05/atheist-suing-florida-t own-over-religious-symbols-in- seal/
----------
A city is being sued over a seal they’ve had since 1882 because one man doesn’t like it?
The seal is 131 years old and has historical roots.
I would be in favor of changing the seal if it had been made recently but this seal is 131 years old.
The city should counter sue to recover all cost of this frivolous lawsuit.
Based upon your opinion given above, I'd imagine you would also support reinstating the racist symbol and symbolism of the rebel flag to fly over states that used to incorporate that symbol in the state flag?

It does, after all, have a historical basis.

Lynching or lynch mobs, vigilantes, the burning of witches and various other societal ills have a historical basis, too.

Your attitude incorporates principles that, if not carefully considered, have far reaching implications, and those implications can trod upon the rights of others to not have to be accosted by those ills, merely because at some time in the distant past, those ills had "historical roots", and people argue that they should be retained or given leeway because of whatever historical place they held.

It's a very slippery slope.

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#182254 Nov 1, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Well, it doesn't have a cloven hoof...
Perhaps we have discovered to solution to the illogical logistics of food storage on the ark, elephant burgers all round?

We could be famous in fundy circles, ok, I;; pass.

#182255 Nov 1, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Indeed... christianity is such a shallow and empty way to live.
## you are discouraged to learn anything new
## you are discouraged to question-- anything
## you are told--repeatedly-- that you are worthless-- less than pond-scum
## you are told to act like a slave to the christian god--because as a slave master, he "loves" you
...'tis an ugly faith.
And once you are completely indoctrinated then it’s fine to go out and mock, abuse, murder and commit genocide on anyone not so indoctrinated because god will forgive you.

#182256 Nov 1, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Kosher Elephant Sandwiches?
Only if the giant buns are also Kosher, as well as the giant pickles...
They has a huge wood supply, plenty of water for steaming the dough and surely must have built an oven so they could prepare bagels. And the odd black bread loaf would not have come amiss

Hmm, got my mouth watering now…

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#182257 Nov 1, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>All clocks that tick tock will one day come to a stand still. Just like all stage performances will have the last curtain close. Then the lights go out and the doors locked.

Our beloved friend we have all come to love over time shall one day reach the end of his trail ride. Once he crosses over to the other side there will be no turning back and undoing what he has done. IÂ’m afraid the darkness has overtaken him.

Knowing the end was near Jesus reached out to Judas Iscariot but Judas refused. Judas was one of the twelve and had witnessed his power and miracles. Yet his heart turned cold and he turned away from salvation only to end his life in grief.

My Brother we can only pray that Bob turns again to the Lord before he crosses that last river. For the day will come when he will face the almighty in judgment. I would that my friend Bob would be saved. But I canÂ’t make the decision for him. Let us pray together that Bob will come back to the fold.
You forgot to say "amen".

How rude.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#182258 Nov 1, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>Reaching to pull someone out of the flames is an act of courage.
Only if the flames are real.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#182259 Nov 1, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>We are praying for you Bob. I'm going to specifically pray for you tonight my friend.
Don't you think there are better things to pray for?

Like that no more children needlessly starve to death?

Since: Sep 08

Fowler, CO

#182260 Nov 1, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
If you want to know how much you have to change that bible to make it believable to a critical thinker, I can tell you that you're getting closer. If you want to reduce flooding that submerged the earth and nearly sterilized it of terrestrial life to regional flooding that got most folks and many of the critters in the area wet, I'm good with that. If you want to claim any more than that, we need to talk further.
Shall we now go to work on the rest of the bible? God said let there be light and opened a window. And Jesus was a man who rose again on the third day just like he did every morning.
There is not a bit of sense in trying to reason with "critical thinkers' that are more into destruction than reconstruction.

Relatively few people really take that book as literally as you do. Some fundamentalists and Topix atheists. The first do it with the fervor of secular humanists and progressive liberals. The second because they are fervent secular humanists and progressive liberals. They both need something to guide their lives without critical thinking. A mantra is a mantra is a mantra.

It's a weird world.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#182261 Nov 1, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
There is not a bit of sense in trying to reason with "critical thinkers' that are more into destruction than reconstruction.
Relatively few people really take that book as literally as you do. Some fundamentalists and Topix atheists. The first do it with the fervor of secular humanists and progressive liberals. The second because they are fervent secular humanists and progressive liberals. They both need something to guide their lives without critical thinking. A mantra is a mantra is a mantra.
It's a weird world.
Despite this, you believe jesus rode on the backs of dinosaurs. And you don't understand why atheists don't believe you.

Fowler, CO

#182262 Nov 1, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Despite this, you believe jesus rode on the backs of dinosaurs. And you don't understand why atheists don't believe you.
I will admit a communications problem with Topix atheists. They can't believe me because they can't understand me. Has been a long time since I was in junior high. Kinda lost the thought processes.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#182263 Nov 1, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Reaching to pull someone out of the flames is an act of courage.
It requires no courage to pull someone from imaginary flames.

Look…I just did it!

Wanna see it again?

Ooh….I saved kittens this time!

“A witty saying proves nothing”

Since: Jul 08

Location hidden

#182264 Nov 1, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
I will admit a communications problem with Topix atheists. They can't believe me because they can't understand me. Has been a long time since I was in junior high. Kinda lost the thought processes.
Yeah Dave, the problem has to lie with us and our limited intelligence... can't possibly be that your thoughts are a convoluted mixture of paranoia, arrogance, immaturity, senility, and an unsolicited burning need to explain to the world how the entire universe is based on electromagnetic energy.

#182265 Nov 1, 2013
Clark Griswold wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah Dave, the problem has to lie with us and our limited intelligence... can't possibly be that your thoughts are a convoluted mixture of paranoia, arrogance, immaturity, senility, and an unsolicited burning need to explain to the world how the entire universe is based on electromagnetic energy.
Dave new claim is electromagnetic thingy

#182266 Nov 1, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
No one can understand you, that’s usually the problem when you talk davesworld garbage

Fowler, CO

#182267 Nov 1, 2013
Clark Griswold wrote:
<quoted text>
It could be that I can think past the clown level like you, Clark. I can think past seeing how others respond to me and my antics. You need their approval, not me.

Fowler, CO

#182268 Nov 1, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
No one can understand you, that’s usually the problem when you talk davesworld garbage
It is because you are trained to see the world via words instead of the physical things you do all of the time. The words as things I have harped on.

I work from the simplest of physics and expand. The seeking of equilibrium.

Drawing pictures and schematics would be much easier for you to grasp about what I say, but that isn't going to happen. This site is not about discussion, it is just to argue.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
EdSed

Wishaw, UK

#182269 Nov 1, 2013
Religion = superstition

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

#182270 Nov 1, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
It is because you are trained to see the world via words instead of the physical things you do all of the time. The words as things I have harped on.
I work from the simplest of physics and expand. The seeking of equilibrium.
Drawing pictures and schematics would be much easier for you to grasp about what I say, but that isn't going to happen. This site is not about discussion, it is just to argue.
??? Dyslexic, sorry to disappoint you but it does not work like that even if that’s what makes you feel better about your stupidity

You work from the simplest of daveworld BS then build on the BS, no physics involved

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 11 min Incognito4Ever 1,263,806
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 2 hr spocko 310,339
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 2 hr IBdaMann 6,472
I got my loan from [email protected] (Jun '13) 4 hr bernarlyn 33
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 6 hr tom wingo 29,852
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Jul 29 RiccardoFire 201,846
News San Diego State basketball: Four-star prospect ... Jul 25 Fart news 2
More from around the web