Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 255571 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

LCNLin

United States

#182209 Oct 31, 2013
Albert Einstein's religious views have been studied extensively. He said he believed in the "pantheistic" God of Baruch Spinoza, but not in a personal god, a belief he criticized.

He also called himself an agnostic,
while disassociating himself from the label atheist.

Bingo
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#182211 Oct 31, 2013
Militant Atheist viciously attacks Ohio Church Pastor after church service.

James Maxie, 28, a self-described militant atheist, was charged with felony assault in the brutal beating of a pastor at the Bridge Community Church in North Hampton, Ohio.

Maxie, a 28-year-old sex offender with a violent past, reportedly mauled Rev. Norman Hayes after the preacher asked Maxie’s church-going girlfriend if she was being abused.

He was charged in 2004 with four counts of cruelty to animals, the Dayton paper said.
His Facebook profile includes numerous references to atheism and criticisms of religion.
In the “About” section, he writes,“very very hostile.”

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/ohio...
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#182212 Oct 31, 2013
Prominent Atheist Offers to Raise Funds for Beaten Ohio Pastor

CHICAGO – A prominent atheist blogger is offering to raise funds for the medical bills of an Ohio pastor that was beaten this past Sunday by a self-described ‘militant atheist.’

http://christiannews.net/2013/10/26/prominent...
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#182213 Oct 31, 2013
Atheists to Sue Alabama City After Police Partner With Pastors to Fight Crime With Christianity

MONTGOMERY, Ala.— A prominent atheist organization states that it plans to sue an Alabama city that was recently in headlines surrounding the launch of a new program that unites area pastors and police in reaching the hurting in the community.

As previously reported, this past summer, the Montgomery Police Department launched Operation Good Shepherd in response to the city’s high homicide rate, as Montgomery fears being on the path to becoming one of the most violent cities per capita in America. According to WSFA, the outreach program was modeled after the Police and Clergy Working Together (PACT) program in Dayton, Ohio.

“[F]aith leaders attend weekly classes in which police teach them ways they can discourage crime and show them exactly what’s happening in their communities,” the outlet explained.

Pastors are to accompany police at crime scenes, as well counsel and pray with those present, and attend monthly meetings to discuss areas of concern in regard to criminal activity in the city. Police training includes gang awareness and how to spot illegal drug activity.

Nearly 40 area clergy have completed the training, which were all recognized during a recent ceremony at Montgomery City Hall. Police chief Kevin Murphy issued diplomas to the pastors as their names were called.

“They’re going to make a difference, and they’re going to help everyone in their time of need see that change can be made,” Corporal David Hicks told those gathered.
However, once the group American Atheists of Cranford, New Jersey learned of the matter, it sent a letter to city officials demanding that they dissolve the new program.

http://christiannews.net/2013/10/28/atheists-...

Atheist want to sue Montgomery Alabama because a partnership with a volunteer group? In the community in which they have influence?

The goal of which is to build unity against crime and reduce crime in neighborhoods. So people of faith are forbidden to participate in protecting their own neighborhoods? Doing whatever they can to have a positive influence?

And Atheist want to stop efforts to reduce crime?
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#182214 Oct 31, 2013
Atheist Converts to Christ After Beating 1% Chance of Surviving Heart Surgery

By Jessica Martinez, CP Reporter

October 15, 2013|5:15 pm

A Brazilian atheist has become a believer after turning to God in desperation just before undergoing heart surgery that doctors warned had a one percent chance of survival. Now, he credits God for the miracle of life and no longer rejects God's existence.

Ivan de Oliveira Almeida, 66, was diagnosed with an aortic aneurysm, a condition that occurs when the aorta, the human body's main artery, ruptures causing severe pain and bleeding which can also result in death within minutes to hours. Doctors also found he had an aortic insufficiency dysfunction in his heart's left and right ventricles as well as pleural effusion, an abnormal amount of fluid around the lungs.

Almeida said that while he was undergoing anesthesia, he asked his doctor for a moment in which he cried out to God for the first time in his life.
"I said, Lord Jesus Christ, I commend my body, my soul and my life to you. Make of me what you will. And I turned myself to death because I knew I was going to die. But God decided that it wasn't the moment," said Almeida.

"I was an atheist and believed that those who preached the Gospel just wanted to exploit people," he said, according to Brazilian-based news outlet, Prime Gospel. "Today I am a miracle of Jesus! Believe in Jesus, people! Give your life to Him! He rises from the grave what is dead! I was an atheist and He is risen! I will speak of this miracle until the last second of my life!"

An aorta aneurysm occurs when it reaches four centimeters in size. In Almeida's case, his artery had enlarged three times that dimension. Although surgery was necessary to attempt to save his life, the odds were against him as the medical team at National Institute of Cardiology in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil cautioned him of the extremely high-risk procedure.

"The doctors informed my family that I would not withstand the surgery, because the aneurysm was the largest they had ever seen at the hospital," said Almeida.
After being on the verge of death, Almeida attended church to share his testimony in which he recounted the details of his delicate operation, which lasted 12 hours.

"During the procedure, the doctors changed my heart valve, which meant that my heart was out of my body for a long time," said Almeida. "When they placed it back, they also placed a pacemaker so my heart could begin beating again, and it was then that they were surprised that I did not need a pacemaker because the miracle was happening."
He added, "At the time I woke up from surgery, with ten doctors around me, I realized that each of them witnessed the miracle of the Lord."
Following his surgery, Almeida said he felt convicted to commit his life to Christ that same day.

"Jesus put his hand on me and said,'You will live to carry My word to the world,' Jesus lives, people!," said Almeida.

http://www.christianpost.com/news/atheist-con...

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#182215 Oct 31, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
And Atheist want to stop efforts to reduce crime?
Forcing ugly christianity is so very effective, right?

Because **nobody** in prison is a christian, right?

Right.

Only thing is-- christians in US prison out-number all other religious affiliation.

So much for **that**--- it appears that forcing christianity onto people has no effect on crime deterrence...

... the atheists were right to sue.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#182216 Oct 31, 2013
Atheists Continue Relentless Attack on the Ground Zero Cross

Simply put, the Constitution is not an atheist manifesto.

Following a big victory for the Ground Zero Cross earlier this year, where a federal judge threw out an atheist lawsuit to tear down the Cross, angry atheists are now appealing that ruling to a federal appeals court.

The Ground Zero Cross, two intersecting steel beams found in the wreckage of the World Trade Center, became a symbol of hope and healing for first responders on the ground in the wake of the 9/11 terrorist attacks and for thousands of Americans across the nation.
Atheists, from the particularly vitriolic American Atheists, demanded that it be torn down. They attempted to make a federal case of their hurt feelings and lost.

The trial court correctly noted that the Cross was a historic artifact – an actual piece of 9/11 history. It really meant something to those affected.
The angry atheists' reaction was unsurprising. "We are angry that we have to have this fight," said the president of the group, David Silverman.

Despite their unmitigated rage, placing this Cross in a museum does not violate the Constitution.

As the Supreme Court has repeatedly held that the Constitution's "goal of avoiding governmental endorsement does not require eradication of all religious symbols in the public realm."

The fact is their lawsuit alleges that the mere "existence of the cross" has given them "depression," "anxiety," "mental pain and anguish," and even "headaches." For those who claim to have no faith, they are assigning near supernatural qualities to the Cross.
Ironic as it is, their challenge to the Cross, its historic significance, and the real impact it had on thousands of Americans is real.

We are preparing to file a critical amicus brief defending the Cross in the Second Circuit Court of Appeals.

http://www.breakingchristiannews.com/articles...
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#182217 Oct 31, 2013
A 5-foot cross erected to honor veterans of foreign wars will remain where it has stood within the Mojave National Preserve. The Supreme Court's ruling Wednesday ends a battle to have the cross removed based on a constitutional challenge to the presence of a religious symbol on public land.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php...
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#182218 Oct 31, 2013
DELAND, FL (FOX NEWS)– An Atheist in Florida is calling for his small city to change their seal. The complaint is that the cross, heart and anchor are symbols of the Christian faith and should be left out of government.

It all started with one complaint.“Someone in the city of DeLand said,‘We’re uncomfortable with the presence of a cross and religious symbols in our seal. It makes us non-Christians feel like second-class citizens.” said President of Americans United for Separation of Church and State Rabbi Merrill Shapiro.

That’s when the local chapter of Americans United for Separation of Church and State stepped in. They sent a letter asking the city to remove the three religious symbols, or stop using the seal.

“This is an intrusion of religion into the world of government. And the world of government and the world of religion should be separate as called for in the First Amendment of the United States constitution.” said Rabbi Merrill Shapiro.

The city is working on a response. In a statement, city manager Michael Pleus said,“The seal has been in place since the date of incorporation. It’s an important part of our historyand in 131 years, we’ve never had a complaint about our seal.”

If you look around Deland the seal decorates city signs, municipal buildings, police cruisers. Changing or removing it could cost deland thousands of dollars.
The city attorney is preparing a response to the letter. It should be ready sometime in the next two weeks.

By: Kate Burgesshttp://fox2now.com/2013 /09/05/atheist-suing-florida-t own-over-religious-symbols-in- seal/

----------

A city is being sued over a seal they’ve had since 1882 because one man doesn’t like it?

The seal is 131 years old and has historical roots.

I would be in favor of changing the seal if it had been made recently but this seal is 131 years old.

The city should counter sue to recover all cost of this frivolous lawsuit.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#182219 Oct 31, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
Atheists Continue Relentless Attack on the Ground Zero Cross
Following a big victory for the Ground Zero Cross earlier this year, where a federal judge threw out an atheist lawsuit to tear down the Cross, angry atheists are now appealing that ruling to a federal appeals court.
The Ground Zero Cross, two intersecting steel beams found in the wreckage of the World Trade Center, became a symbol of hope and healing for first responders...
...**only** if said responders were Genuine Christians™.

Not all of them were-- many were of other faiths, some were even atheist.

Your article is lying, therefore-- typical.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#182220 Oct 31, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
DELAND, FL (FOX NEWS)
LOL!

Faux SNooze?

Seriously?

LOL!
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#182221 Oct 31, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Right.
Only thing is-- christians in US prison out-number all other religious affiliation.
So much for **that**--- it appears that forcing christianity onto people has no effect on crime deterrence...
I guess those Christian cops and prosecutors don’t care about one’s religious affiliation.

They just care about prosecuting crimes by the non compliant.

Have you ever been stopped by the Police?

Did they ask you what religion you were?

And those Christian Prison Guards don’t care either as long as you follow the rules set by the State and serve ya time.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#182222 Oct 31, 2013
<quoted text>
Right.
So people of faith can't participate on a volunteer basis in their community to reduce crime?

That's going to fly like a iron ballon.

The Atheist are going to lose this lawsuit.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#182223 Oct 31, 2013
<quoted text>
...**only** if said responders were Genuine Christians™.
Not all of them were-- many were of other faiths, some were even atheist.
Your article is lying, therefore-- typical.
"As the Supreme Court has repeatedly held that the Constitution's "goal of avoiding governmental endorsement does not require eradication of all religious symbols in the public realm."
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#182224 Oct 31, 2013
<quoted text>
LOL!
Faux SNooze?
Seriously?
LOL!
Hey Bubba, the number one news source.

Have you noticed CNN hired Newt Gingrich?

Wolf has already torn into Newt’s *ss a few times for his views. They (CNN) wanted to increase their ratings but what they have done is increased the drama, lol.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#182225 Oct 31, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess those Christian cops and prosecutors don’t care about one’s religious affiliation.
Obviously that is not the case: examples of christian violence against non-christians is still common enough to not even make the news.
Eagle 12 wrote:
They just care about prosecuting crimes by the non compliant.
Have you ever been stopped by the Police?
Not in years... life is too short to increase the risk of death by speeding.
Eagle 12 wrote:
Did they ask you what religion you were?
Some did.
Eagle 12 wrote:
And those Christian Prison Guards don’t care either as long as you follow the rules set by the State and serve ya time.
But the article you SPAMMED says otherwise: that forcing "christianity" onto criminals was an on-going program.

I **do** agree with one aspect of it, though--

--- forcing someone to listen to christian BS is definitely **punishment** of the most extreme sort.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#182226 Oct 31, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
So people of faith can't participate on a volunteer basis in their community to reduce crime?
Forcing Genuine Christianity™ onto people who do not believe in it, won't reduce crime.

Just the opposite, actually...

... the aforementioned high rates of Genuine Christianity™ within the US prisons proves this.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#182227 Oct 31, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
"As the Supreme Court has repeatedly held that the Constitution's "goal of avoiding governmental endorsement does not require eradication of all religious symbols in the public realm."
Right... because forcing a symbol of torture onto everyone is so very .... uplifting.

Riiiiight...

... real Jesus of them.
Doctor REALITY

United States

#182228 Oct 31, 2013
<quoted text>
Right... because forcing a symbol of torture onto everyone is so very .... uplifting.
Riiiiight...
... real Jesus of them.
Robert..........if you died tonight, what do you believe happens....after that??
Doctor REALITY

United States

#182229 Oct 31, 2013
Don't try to HIDE, Robert! You facing Almighty God after you leave this current world is as certain as you needing to 'lose some weight' 24 hours after eating dinner!! Stop RUNNING, Robert!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 hr President Trump 1,396,590
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 6 hr Bruin For Life 32,293
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 6 hr Into The Night 9,892
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 13 hr ThomasA 311,364
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Jun 27 Barbi A 201,865
News What they're saying about Bulls draft pick Bobb... (Jun '15) Jun 20 Tretre 6
I got my loan from [email protected] (Jun '13) Jun 6 James Harry 41
More from around the web