Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 256579 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#181984 Oct 29, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
You know that in WWII they made concrete ships. If a concrete ship can float, I bet a barge made of wood can too.
They also experimented with ice-hulled ships-- the ice was strengthened with sawdust. Look it up-- it's real. "pyrocrete" I think it was called.

But.

Ancient building tools would not have permitted the high precision needed to keep the hull-planks from leaking, plank-to-plank.

And?

A **wooden** boat that **long**? Would twist under each and every wave-- just enough to open the seams, and let the water come boiling in... like...

.... a flood.

*glug*
*glug*
*glug*

... poor Noah sunk like the bankrupt dreams of Mitt The Twitt Romney.

“Wrath”

Since: Dec 10

Is revenant

#181985 Oct 29, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Magic?
Okay... magic it is-- it would **have** to be.
A wooden boat built according to the bible would have sunk in short order.
Modern seaworthy tests have proven this for multiple reasons.
They didn't use Gopher wood then..:)

Did they?

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#181986 Oct 29, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
You know that in WWII they made concrete ships. If a concrete ship can float, I bet a barge made of wood can too.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concrete_ship
Concrete ships are ships built of steel and ferrocement (reinforced concrete) instead of more traditional materials, such as steel or wood. The advantage of ferrocement construction is that materials are cheap and readily available, while the disadvantages are that construction labor costs are high, as are operating costs.(Ferrocement ships require thick hulls, which means extra mass to push and less space for cargo.) During the late 19th century, there were concrete river barges in Europe, and during both World War I and World War II, steel shortages led the US military to order the construction of small fleets of ocean-going concrete ships, the largest of which was the SS Selma.[1] Few concrete ships were completed in time to see wartime service during World War I, but during 1944 and 1945, concrete ships and barges were used to support U.S. and British invasions in Europe and the Pacific. Since the late 1930s, there have also been ferrocement pleasure boats
A ship will float,**IF** the total weigh of the ship, it's contents, and everything else, is **less** than the weight of the **water** that it displaces.

That is very old news-- known to ship builders since there have been ships.

So the material is irrelevant, really-- it is possible to make a small vessel out of lead sheeting, if you like.

You'd just have to make the volume of water that is displaced weigh **more** than the **total** weight of the boat in question.

In short? Hollow rocks could conceivably float-- and indeed-- some do-- there are certain igneous rocks that are formed from high-stress volcanic action, which contain mostly pockets of gas inside--they are porous like a sponge, but a closed-cell sponge. And so, such rocks, if on the smallish side, will float.

It's not rocket science, here-- but it **is** ship-building science.

And science has proven beyond a doubt, that a **wood** boat built as the bible describes, is simply not seaworthy.

Experimental testing has shown this to be true--without a doubt.

That leaves?

Magic as your **only** and last resort....

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#181987 Oct 29, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
[laughing]
:)

At least you have a healthy sense of humor.

A toast, Mr Eagle 12-- to your sense of humor.

“Wrath”

Since: Dec 10

Is revenant

#181988 Oct 29, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
"Make thee an ark of gopher wood;"
"b : something that affords protection and safety "
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/ark
I think that was the intent, not a Caribbean cruise or shipment of date palms to China..

You can only get Gopher wood from....Gophers.

When you can get Gophers to sell you some wood.

You can build an ark.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#181989 Oct 29, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
It's getting late and I've had a great time.
I love all you Atheist.
good night
G'night Eagle-- it's been interesting at least. And I'm gratified I got you to laugh, if only the one time.

:)

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#181990 Oct 29, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Reverting to cheap insults tells me that you’re frustrated and lacking in a serious response. I’m sorry that’s the case.
Have you ever heard of news?
News has been traveling on foot for thousands of years.
You don’t think news traveled in ancient days?
Something you also haven’t considered. The world population was not what it is today. No one actually knows the number because census didn’t take place. But it is safe to assume that it was only a fraction of what it is today.
More insults are welcome because it is a sign your frustration is growing.
You are correct, I get very frustrated with people who are deliberately obtuse.

For you to claim that everyone in the world knew something is, quite literally, insane.

Even today, it is impossible for everyone in the world to have the same knowledge of a singular piece of news.

Barack Obama is President of the United States. Man walked on the moon. Princess Diana was killed in a tunnel in Paris. Apple makes computers. The Beatles made music….Everyone in the world knows these things, right? No. Believe it or not, there are people in the world who don't know these things. Who will never know these things. Who are born, will live and die without ever knowing things.

Therefore, when you say "everyone in the world know ANYTHING" you are either deliberately lying or extremely lacking in intelligence.

“Get it right”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#181991 Oct 29, 2013
<quoted text>
They also experimented with ice-hulled ships-- the ice was strengthened with sawdust. Look it up-- it's real. "pyrocrete" I think it was called.
But.
Ancient building tools would not have permitted the high precision needed to keep the hull-planks from leaking, plank-to-plank.
And?
A **wooden** boat that **long**? Would twist under each and every wave-- just enough to open the seams, and let the water come boiling in... like...
.... a flood.
*glug*
*glug*
*glug*
... poor Noah sunk like the bankrupt dreams of Mitt The Twitt Romney.
I wonder just how big that boat would have had to have been to actually carry two of everything... millions of sepcies of beetles...hmmmm....doesn't seem 40 feet would have been anywhere near big enough.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#181992 Oct 29, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> They didn't use Gopher wood then..:)
Did they?
Well, obviously Gopher wood is **magic** wood that has the tensile strength of titanium, the density of balsawood and the stiffness of cobalt steal alloy.

Superman could not have punched through that ark-- it was that strong.

And Noah? He used it **all** up, causing the Gopher wood trees to all go extinct.

Damn you Noah! The world could have **used** that wood!

Location hidden

#181993 Oct 29, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Uneducated savage. Your world does not mean my world. Thank God.
" 2.
a part or aspect of human life or of the natural features of the earth, in particular.
a region or group of countries.
"the English-speaking world"
a period of history.
"the ancient world"
a group of living things.
"the animal world"
the people, places, and activities to do with a particular thing.
"they were a legend in the world of British theater"
synonyms: sphere, society, circle, arena, milieu, province, domain, orbit, preserve, realm, field, discipline, area, sector More
"the academic world"
human and social interaction.
"he has almost completely withdrawn from the world"
synonyms: society, material things, secular interests, temporal concerns, earthly concerns More
"she renounced the world"
average, respectable, or fashionable people or their customs or opinions.
a person's life and activities.
noun: one's world;&#8195;plural noun: one's worlds
"he felt his whole world had collapsed"
everything that exists outside oneself.
a stage of human life, either mortal or after death.
"in this world and the next"
secular interests and affairs.
"parents are not viewed as the primary educators of their own children, either in the world or in the church"
Origin
More
Old English w(e)oruld, from a Germanic compound meaning ‘age of man’; related to Dutch wereld and German Welt .
https://www.google.com/search...
LOL…this should be fun.

So, when Eagle12 said "everyone in the world knew Noah was building an ark"…which "world" was he referring to?

We'll wait...

Since: Sep 08

Alamosa, CO

#181994 Oct 29, 2013
Listen to the Topix atheists flounder and flail and wail away. Drowning. Grasping at straws blowing in the wind to keep from sinking into the abyss.

That is what they get for sailing on the good ship Lollipop, triple re-inforced hull of imagination and hopes laminated and glued with illusion.

It couldn't take the heat.

Bwahahahahahahahahaha!

Location hidden

#181995 Oct 29, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Yes of course you're right, a 400 foot wooden boat loaded with every animal known to man, along with food for all, survived mountainous sea's for a full year. No more insults from me, I am simply done with you. Your just not worth the time or energy necessary to educate you. Good luck
Now now, don't be like that!

Eagle12 must be right because he and his buddy DaveNelson keep telling each other they are right!

LOL…its almost sad.

Location hidden

#181996 Oct 29, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Wasn't Egypt part of the world community? China? Do you begin to see some problems with your.."Everybody in the world community knew it,?"
No, no, no…according to DaveNelson and Eagle12, this news spread all over the entire world! By word of mouth!

After all…forget about the rise and fall of empires…everyone in the world had to know about the guy, um, building the really big boat!

And since they all knew, their god was perfectly justified in killing them all. And their children. And the little babies.

Such an odd religion...
Doctor REALITY

Little Rock, AR

#181997 Oct 29, 2013
<quoted text>
Well, obviously Gopher wood is **magic** wood that has the tensile strength of titanium, the density of balsawood and the stiffness of cobalt steal alloy.
Superman could not have punched through that ark-- it was that strong.
And Noah? He used it **all** up, causing the Gopher wood trees to all go extinct.
Damn you Noah! The world could have **used** that wood!
Robert, are you prepared to meet the Lord Jesus Christ after you leave this current world??: http://biblehub.com/revelation/20-12.htm

Location hidden

#181998 Oct 29, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you Doctor,[hand shake].
I don’t believe in a global flood as we interpret the meaning of a global world today.
But understand in those biblical times their world was not this massive ball rotating in space on it’s axis as we see it today.
It was limited to a few hundred if not few thousand miles as they knew it. Land exploration and ocean voyage exploration had not even began in those times.
And their world as they knew it flooded.
Man alive, this just keeps getting better and better!

If the world wasn't, um, "a massive ball rotating in space on it's axis as we see it today"…the what was it?

PleaseAnswerPleaseAnswerPlease AnswerPleaseAnswer….

Alamosa, CO

#181999 Oct 29, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
You can only get Gopher wood from....Gophers.
When you can get Gophers to sell you some wood.
You can build an ark.
That's recycled, isn't it?

I read where they eat the roots or girdle the trees sharpening their teeth.

Dead trees.

I wonder if that means deadwood, or cut and seasoned lumber instead of a tree species? The seasoning makes A LOT of sense, especially since there wasn't much time to fell trees and season it. Nothing like warped planks in the middle of a storm to ruin your day.

Alamosa, CO

#182000 Oct 29, 2013
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
No, no, no…according to DaveNelson and Eagle12, this news spread all over the entire world! By word of mouth!
After all…forget about the rise and fall of empires…everyone in the world had to know about the guy, um, building the really big boat!
And since they all knew, their god was perfectly justified in killing them all. And their children. And the little babies.
Such an odd religion...
Define world.

Location hidden

#182001 Oct 29, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
Listen to the Topix atheists flounder and flail and wail away. Drowning. Grasping at straws blowing in the wind to keep from sinking into the abyss.
That is what they get for sailing on the good ship Lollipop, triple re-inforced hull of imagination and hopes laminated and glued with illusion.
It couldn't take the heat.
Bwahahahahahahahahaha!
Dude…shhh. You and Eagle are getting your asses handed to you on this subject and you don't know how to back out gracefully.

Its hysterical...

Location hidden

#182002 Oct 29, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Define world.
Pathetic circular try, Dave…scroll back a bit.

Alamosa, CO

#182003 Oct 29, 2013
"Identity

The Greek Septuagint (3rd–1st centuries BC) translated it as xylon tetragonon, "squared timber".[2] Similarly, the Latin Vulgate (5th century AD) rendered it as lignis levigatis (lævigatis, in the Clementine Vulgate), "smoothed (possibly planed) wood"."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gopher_wood

Worked lumber, not tree species. And seasoned.

God is smart. Knows his stuff. Maybe he had carpentry experience.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 6 min Go Blue Forever 1,419,831
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 12 hr ThomasA 311,628
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) Sat Trojan 32,332
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) Aug 26 Earthling-1 10,065
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Aug 19 JustStop 201,888
mark moel loan house is here for you to uptain ... (Sep '13) Aug 14 Alex 17
legitimate loan lender (Oct '13) Aug 11 Ceren 9
More from around the web