Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 255476 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Sep 10

Redondo Beach, CA

#181777 Oct 28, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes... it really doesn't matter in the end, does it?
The 1960's civil rights did happen, and great strides towards equality were finally had.
Not complete-- not by any measure, but great strides-- so it really doesn't matter how the idea got rolling.
But secularism has been slowly eroding the bible's strangle-hold on "morality" since the beginning of the Enlightenment.
And a more fitting name for that bit of history I cannot imagine.
:)
It was Immanuel Kant who first used the term Enlightenment.

It was also called the Age of Reason, also a most fitting name.

Except for the lack of medical care or even toilets, it would have been a great time to be alive.

Since: Sep 08

Alamosa, CO

#181778 Oct 28, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>In current conditions, yeah.
<quoted text>It doesn't require numbers. If the circumference of the globe is increased - IE; biblical deluge to the tops of all mountains by - water - which cannot be easily compressed - while the atmosphere remains relatively constant in diameter. The pressure would increase based on an internal volume increase in a constant outer diameter, IOW, the density of the atmosphere would increase.
But, you pointed out that the atmosphere might *bleed* off into space.
If that were the case then the occupants of the "Ark" would likely have suffered hypoxia, since the available oxygen - would be less - in that decompressed and altitude "bleeding off" state. Even less once the "deluge subsided".
At any rate, there is no evidence for either of those scenarios in the geological column.
Additionally, had the water increased upon the face of the earth by a depth of 5± miles, any sea creature that inhabited a zone below 50 + ft in depth would have certainly been crushed or had starved during the duration of the "biblical deluge", due to the weight and additional depth of the oceans over all.
It's a myth, Dave. A primitive culture experienced a very large localized flood, they thought their deity did it and flooded "the world", but that didn't happen, the world didn't die and things went back to normal relatively soon(for that culture, it stayed normal for others that didn't have their deity "killing the world").
Or, you can keep hypothesizing about "stellar rain clouds" that crossed the path of earth and other such non-evidenced ideas for as long as you like.
I read some interesting info concerning this, well, some of it interesting, and some was on the crackpot fringe. Interesting because people actually believe that.
Do you buy into the "expanding" or "growing" earth theory?
<quoted text> Yeah. The biblical myth mentions first that the deity made the waters come from under the earth as the primary source, with rain being a secondary source. So, I don't think that matters so much.
<quoted text>Yeah, I misspoke, I should have used "crushed" instead of burst.
I don't see that radical a change occurring. It is the gravity that causes the air pressure.

Expanding earth.

If the earth accreted as they say water vapor would be in the mix. Some as water molecules mixed with other materials. It would take a while for it to be squeezed out to the surface. You would have to get to a certain mass to get that kind of pressure. Hydrogen and oxygen accreted could also have been combined to make water during that period. A very complex mixing in that accretion method. Mass in motion, chemical and electrical actions. Of course you know I think it was assembled in another way.

But actually I see more of an orbital change or axial tilt and a whole lot of sloshing. The rain may have been caused as part of that process. It may just not have dumped that much water. Like I said, the survivors didn't have a real good view of events. They were bobbing around in a closed float. If that story is not a metaphor for another type of ark and survival event. We will never know.

But it does boil down to a destruction and reconstruction event. I have always felt man is much, much older than portrayed, and all of the stories, religious and scientific, are in error.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#181779 Oct 28, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Where has those tons of matter we collect everyday gone, Bob?
<quoted text>
Does that mean you ate it, Bob?
Where did that matter go. Enlighten us.
\

The stupid of the above poster is so strong, it's actually painful to witness.

One wonders how this idiot is still alive... for it is certain the idiot Dave is too stupid to know how to feed himself...

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#181780 Oct 28, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>No such documentation for this Shearer and associates can be found. It is your responsibility to post such documentation, otherwise we will all know that you are lying. I told you, I went to the site, it was deleted. Most likely because any Marine engineer would realize how impossible an Ark as described in the bible is. So, find this article, and post it, or apologize for being a bold faced liar.
Exactly how does one "Study" Noah's Ark? There is no such vessel, nor has anyone ever found evidence of this mythical vessel, so how the hell does one "Study" that which does not exist?
He's a bald-faced liar, for sure.

But he won't apologize for lying--- if he did?

He would have to apologize for every single post he has ever written...

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#181781 Oct 28, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
It was Immanuel Kant who first used the term Enlightenment.
It was also called the Age of Reason, also a most fitting name.
Except for the lack of medical care or even toilets, it would have been a great time to be alive.
Yes... that's right, I had forgotten. Thank you.

The god-besotted must have been frothing at their collective mouths as science and reason began to erode their power bases.

One thing that helped a lot? Movable type, which enabled cheap printing --- so cheap, that eventually the first **disposable** "books" were invented (news papers).

It was truly a game-changer for human achievement.

It appears the internet is a similar game-changer.

... and perhaps could be the final death knell for religion.

About damn time, too.

“Exercise Your Brain”

Since: Jun 07

Planet Earth

#181782 Oct 28, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
It would be a strain nowadays, but in years past I could swing that 12 pounder up high and hold in a ton of shit wanting to come out at the same time.
Heaven was in the opposite direction of where I would have gone if I missed.
You should pull up a bucket with that hammer and a couple of impact wrenches they were used on, and a few other items 100 foot leaning over a rickety rusty guardrail on a rickety rusty catwalk with a handline all by yourself.
My son counted 17 hammers I had at one time.
Five pound hammer. Hah ha.
Come back when you are serious.
Lol, I guess it's true: "The older you get, the better you were!"

That, folks was another Dave's World fantasy a.k.a. looney toon ;0)
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#181783 Oct 28, 2013
<quoted text>
That would mean your bible story is a big lie.
H2O
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#181784 Oct 28, 2013
<quoted text>
So... the "answer" is .. more magic?
Why not just magic the problem people away in the first place, and save all the fuss?
If bible-god is going to invoke magic--it would be easier to magic-up a nice fatal disease that **only** affects evil people (a magical disease you see) and within hours? All the bad people are dead.
And none of the baby ducks or baby kittens or baby puppies have to be drowned....
Yea really, who would think wood would float?
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#181785 Oct 28, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll give you a hint.
Although I hesitate to reveal my identity on these threads, I'll give you the first four letters of my name.
Meth
You figure it out.
You don't need to do that and you need to keep your id a secret.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#181786 Oct 28, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Excuse me but you really are a complete idiot. "And the mountains were COVERED." Holy shit if the mountains were COVERED, that meant they were COVERED, tops and all. Here try these, it might help your idiocy:
I COVERED my car with a tarp.......This means the entire car was covered, would I say I COVERED my car, and really meant I covered everything but the TOP?
My brother lives in Colorado, had to leave because of the flood, and NO it didn't COVER the mountains, the water flowed down from the mountains.
Do you really work and being this stupid or does it come naturally?
If the top of the mountain had snow and water at the bottom then the entire mountain is covered by the same substance.

H2O

That's not too far fetched.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#181787 Oct 28, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
H2O
Yes... one big lie.

That describes your bible accurately.

What is funny?

The symbol "H2O" is **scientific**.

There is **nothing** in the stupid bible that even **hints** that water is made of oxygen and hydrogen gas.

Nothing.

Obviously, the bible god was 100% ignorant of basic Jr High chemistry....

... LOL!
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#181788 Oct 28, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Excuse me but you really are a complete idiot. "And the mountains were COVERED." Holy shit if the mountains were COVERED, that meant they were COVERED, tops and all. Here try these, it might help your idiocy:
I COVERED my car with a tarp.......This means the entire car was covered, would I say I COVERED my car, and really meant I covered everything but the TOP?
My brother lives in Colorado, had to leave because of the flood, and NO it didn't COVER the mountains, the water flowed down from the mountains.
Do you really work and being this stupid or does it come naturally?
By the way, most mountians are coverd in H2O, in the form of snow. You need to get out more Doctor.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#181789 Oct 28, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yea really, who would think wood would float?
A boat the size of the ark? Would leak. That is the **facts** jack.

A **wooden** framed boat that size, twists with each passing wave.

With **each** and **every** twist? Water would leak in.

The weight of thousands of animals is not trivial...

.. and the weight of 180 days worth of food is even greater.

So the boat? Would sink like a stone-- within 30 minutes, in fact.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#181790 Oct 28, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Indeed... there are Genuine Christians™ on Topix who would literally drive to our homes and shoot us dead where we live.

I've been threatened in exactly that way, by True Believers™ who desire to see me dead-- and took great pleasure in telling me.

I and others got most of them banned soon enough. But it happened, and likely will happen again.

So yes-- keeping one's ID secret in the Land Of Christians™ is a good idea....

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#181791 Oct 28, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I will say one thing, Eagle-- you are a lot of things, true.

But I've never seen you threaten anyone with murder.

Kudos, man.
LCNlin

Marietta, GA

#181792 Oct 28, 2013
<quoted text>
The god-besotted must have been frothing at their collective mouths as science and reason began to erode their power bases.
One thing that helped a lot? Movable type, which enabled cheap printing --- so cheap, that eventually the first **disposable** "books" were invented (news papers).
About damn time, too.
Hitler seemed also to agree with you

“As far as we are concerned, we’ve succeeded in chasing the Jews from our midst and excluding Christianity from our political life.”-Hitler’s Table Talk, pg 394

“There is something very unhealthy about Christianity.”-Hitler’s Table Talk, pg 418

“Exercise Your Brain”

Since: Jun 07

Planet Earth

#181793 Oct 28, 2013
<quoted text>
About damn time, too.
Agreed. But first we'll have to get rid of the "yellow-rag journalists" that proliferate in cyberspace as does the National Enquirer in newsprint.

*sighs*

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#181794 Oct 28, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
If the top of the mountain had snow and water at the bottom then the entire mountain is covered by the same substance.
H2O
That's not too far fetched.
Yes it is-- if the "covering" was intended to be snow? The story would say so-- as the bible-writers were not unfamiliar with snow.

But.

H2O? Really?

The bible's god is 100% unfamiliar with that term--

-- there is **nothing** in the bible that explains that water is made up of oxygen and hydrogen.

Nothing.

Such an important fact ought to have had a mention, don't you think?

No?

Obviously the bible-writers flunked basic science.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#181795 Oct 28, 2013
albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>
Agreed. But first we'll have to get rid of the "yellow-rag journalists" that proliferate in cyberspace as does the National Enquirer in newsprint.
*sighs*
The modern young kids are wiser than we were at the same age, I think.

They are learning first-hand, what bullshyt is, and as a result, learning how to tell the difference between it and reality.

Which is why religion is on a rapid decline.. seeing as it's 100% bullshyt.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#181796 Oct 28, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Oh, you are too funny I found Shearer nautical firm, but they have deleted their site that dealt with the Ark. Could you be more dishonest!!!! Tell you what, YOU find the site were they discuss to viability of the Ark and post it, otherwise your site is bogus.
You know NOTHING about boats and the sea, so stop pretending you do. I've spent a good part of my life on the ocean is a boat. Any craft, ANY, over 300 feet in length, built of ONLY wood is unseaworthy. ALL wooden boats over 300 feet need to be reenforced with steel rods and iron braces. Wood is flexible, it becomes more FLEXIBLE the longer the pieces are. A wooden boat is heavy sea's *twists* The other planking separates and the boat takes on water. In many of these ship's the bilge pumps were barely capable of keeping up with the water being taken on. And these were boats that were reenforced with steel and iron. A boat unable to keep her bow into the waves becomes a bobbing cork, battered on all sides by massive waves. A ship the size of the Ark, and loaded as she was, would not have lasted a week at sea, and never a year. After six months her hull would have collected massive amounts of sea growth, adding even more weight to her. A wooden boat the size of the Ark with no reenforcement, no means of propulsion to keep her point into the waves, and no means of keeping massive amount of sea growth under her hull, is quite simple a nautical impossibility. Sorry for your loss!!!
I see, you know a lot, and you think it’s impossible to have H2O covering a mountain top. Let’s see, what’s on top of Mt McKinley?

According to you it’s a dry desert. It’s impossible for water to be covering a mountain top?

It’s called snow, H20, One hydrogen and two oxygen molecules. Water in the frozen form.

I hope you are much better at music then you are in science and engineering. The last I heard, wood floats in most cases. Tons of it was floated down rivers all over America for over a hundred years to get to saw mills.

Let’s see a Ark made of wood is not like a Ark made of concrete. I bet since wood floats there’s a good chance a Ark made out of wood will float.

I’m really not trying to make you look bad Doctor. You’re doing a good job of that all by yourself.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min TeaRump Idiots 1,394,333
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 20 min Patriot AKA Bozo 9,778
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 19 hr Trojan 32,287
News What they're saying about Bulls draft pick Bobb... (Jun '15) Jun 20 Tretre 6
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) Jun 16 ThomasA 311,316
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Jun 13 Dump Trump 201,862
I got my loan from [email protected] (Jun '13) Jun 6 James Harry 41
More from around the web