Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 256574 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Sep 08

Alamosa, CO

#181696 Oct 28, 2013
The typical tidal rise in the open ocean presently is about 2 feet. This can grow to 38 feet in some places. All in the amount of water and the resistance to it.

In the open ocean a tsunami might rise to 3 feet or so.

Both of those things flood.

A few inches higher water means mucho feet when it hits land. The tides never stop. An all water planet has a wave going around it all of the time.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#181697 Oct 28, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Ditch the 1940’s interpretation Doctor. This is 2013.
Genisis 7:
20.“Fifteen cubits upward did the waters prevail; and the mountains were covered.”
Now did it say the “tops” of the mountains were covered?
NO it doesn’t. That is your insinuation from the old days of the 1940’s.
That measurement is about 28 feet and the would be enough water to cover the base of the mountains in the area.
And mountainous areas can flood. Just ask the Coloradans.
Excuse me but you really are a complete idiot. "And the mountains were COVERED." Holy shit if the mountains were COVERED, that meant they were COVERED, tops and all. Here try these, it might help your idiocy:

I COVERED my car with a tarp.......This means the entire car was covered, would I say I COVERED my car, and really meant I covered everything but the TOP?

My brother lives in Colorado, had to leave because of the flood, and NO it didn't COVER the mountains, the water flowed down from the mountains.

Do you really work and being this stupid or does it come naturally?
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#181698 Oct 28, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Answer my questions Doctor. You called me a coward, remember. Even though I answered your questions. Now answer mine.
And what is your question?
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#181699 Oct 28, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
1940's interpretation. Old as your argument is old and outdated.
A scientific fact is NOT an interpretation, it is simply a FACT. What was true in 1040, if factual, is still true today and will be true 50 years from now, unless new data is discovered.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#181700 Oct 28, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
You live in those Atheist web sites. Like that is reliable information. Oh come on Doctor you can do better than that.
The last time you accused me of using an Atheists web site, concerning the Black Sea Deluge" I showed that is was an ABC report. I asked if you thought ABC was an Atheist web site, your reply was..........hear the crickets)

Alamosa, CO

#181701 Oct 28, 2013
Oh, and a flooded planet is highly likely to have increased earthquake activity. More stress. Could get quite turbulent.

Things ain't so simple as highest mountains and simple math.

Of course, we must remember the account of Noah's flood would have been told by Noah's descendants, who were cooped up with a bunch of animals. The could only see what they could see.

There is no record of anyone else that observed the activity.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#181703 Oct 28, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
‘The nautical engineering firm Shearer and Associates wrote regarding the ark that it would have been structurally sound and would have had sufficient stability and buoyancy for the cargo carried.”
The Ark was a one time use expendable survival craft. It was not made to sail around the globe. And it was not designed to last 50 years at sea.
It’s design is similar to modern day rescue life boat found on ships and oil rigs. With the exception it was much larger.
Oh, you are too funny I found Shearer nautical firm, but they have deleted their site that dealt with the Ark. Could you be more dishonest!!!! Tell you what, YOU find the site were they discuss to viability of the Ark and post it, otherwise your site is bogus.

You know NOTHING about boats and the sea, so stop pretending you do. I've spent a good part of my life on the ocean is a boat. Any craft, ANY, over 300 feet in length, built of ONLY wood is unseaworthy. ALL wooden boats over 300 feet need to be reenforced with steel rods and iron braces. Wood is flexible, it becomes more FLEXIBLE the longer the pieces are. A wooden boat is heavy sea's *twists* The other planking separates and the boat takes on water. In many of these ship's the bilge pumps were barely capable of keeping up with the water being taken on. And these were boats that were reenforced with steel and iron. A boat unable to keep her bow into the waves becomes a bobbing cork, battered on all sides by massive waves. A ship the size of the Ark, and loaded as she was, would not have lasted a week at sea, and never a year. After six months her hull would have collected massive amounts of sea growth, adding even more weight to her. A wooden boat the size of the Ark with no reenforcement, no means of propulsion to keep her point into the waves, and no means of keeping massive amount of sea growth under her hull, is quite simple a nautical impossibility. Sorry for your loss!!!
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#181704 Oct 28, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
Oh, and a flooded planet is highly likely to have increased earthquake activity. More stress. Could get quite turbulent.
Things ain't so simple as highest mountains and simple math.
Of course, we must remember the account of Noah's flood would have been told by Noah's descendants, who were cooped up with a bunch of animals. The could only see what they could see.
There is no record of anyone else that observed the activity.
Child!!

“Get it right”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#181705 Oct 28, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Correct me here if I'm wrong but President Ronald Regan didn't have six million Jews murdered. He wasn't no where close to Hitler.
That's why I said " Imagine a fired-up charismatic Ronald Regan who also was warped in the head "... notice the 'also warped' part?

“Get it right”

Location hidden

#181706 Oct 28, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
It floods today when it rains, hurricanes and when Tsunamis occur.
It floods in low lands and mountainous regions too.
A global flood I don’t buy into but massive flooding has occurred at the same time in different regions of the world. And a massive flood can entail thousands upon thousands of square miles. These things happen in today’s world.
Why wouldn’t they occur in the past?
Well, the 'special' flood in the bible wasn't your run-of-the-mill event now was it?
A smarter question would be 'if there waqs a flood that sunk the entirety of land on Earth in the past, then why doesn't that ever happen any more?'

“Get it right”

Location hidden

#181707 Oct 28, 2013
Subliminal Criminal wrote:
Atheism does require faith like religion. Perhaps not as much but that depends on how much faith you have in science and how much has been scientifically discovered so far.
Atheism is not a product of science.
An atheist does NOT have to have faith in religious stories; thats about it.
so...
If you believe what you say, then tell us, of what must an atheist have faith in exactly?

Alamosa, CO

#181708 Oct 28, 2013
<quoted text>
I haven't read much of it, I just saw the thread and thought the title nailed it, both belief systems require faith.
So people are actually arguing atheism does not require faith? That is silly to say nothing exists that we don't know.
All science is, is mans best guess so far, and that is eternally subject to change.
That is what is called the rational viewpoint. Which is very different than the rational viewpoint Topix atheists have.

Careful. They have tendencies to express their rationality in very emphatic ways. Watch for flying spittle as their mouths start to move. And stay out of arm's reach.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#181709 Oct 28, 2013
<quoted text>
I haven't read much of it, I just saw the thread and thought the title nailed it, both belief systems require faith.
So people are actually arguing atheism does not require faith? That is silly to say nothing exists that we don't know.
All science is, is mans best guess so far, and that is eternally subject to change.
Faith is what is needed when NO evidence is available as in Christianity. Atheism is a LACK of belief due to the absent's of evidence. It takes NO faith to be an Atheist as there is NO belief associated with it. Like this:

You believe in God, you're a Theist making a POSITIVE CLAIM

You lack a belief in God, you're an Atheists, making NO CLAIM, or taking a negative position.

The person making the POSITIVE claim shoulders the burden of proof. Glad I could help you understand how the basic Philosophy concerning religion works.

Alamosa, CO

#181710 Oct 28, 2013
chance47 wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, the 'special' flood in the bible wasn't your run-of-the-mill event now was it?
A smarter question would be 'if there waqs a flood that sunk the entirety of land on Earth in the past, then why doesn't that ever happen any more?'
It did seem to have left a lasting memory for just a flood.

Could have been an axial tilt, or even orbital change that sloshed things around.

Bet it was scary.

“Get it right”

Location hidden

#181711 Oct 28, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
It is the belief man knows everything...
Entirely false.
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
...To claim it as proven is saying exactly that...
What claim that what 'it' is proven? Huh? Nonsense.
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
... This debate is beyond silly.
Why is it that religious folks so desperately want non-religious folks to demonstrate the same 'faith' in something? Are you so uncomfortable with having nothing more to demonstrate than 'faith'?

Alamosa, CO

#181712 Oct 28, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Child!!
http://www.scarysquirrel.org/skwerlsays/keepf...

Buckethead would buy them a real meal, not those peanuts you give. He has more class, in addition to talent.

“Get it right”

Location hidden

#181713 Oct 28, 2013
<quoted text>
I haven't read much of it, I just saw the thread and thought the title nailed it,...
Yes, a catchy title. Welcome in.
<quoted text>
...both belief systems require faith.
No, atheism is the lack of a belief.
<quoted text>
...So people are actually arguing atheism does not require faith?...
Bingo
<quoted text>
... That is silly to say nothing exists that we don't know.
True statement, but be clear - atheists do not make that claim!
<quoted text>
There is actually some validity with this claim. However, science and atheism are NOT the same thing. One does not rely on the other at all..

“Get it right”

Location hidden

#181714 Oct 28, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
It did seem to have left a lasting memory for just a flood.
Could have been an axial tilt, or even orbital change that sloshed things around.
Bet it was scary.
It seems reasonable that something memorable was the source of the story.

“Wrath”

Since: Dec 10

Is revenant

#181715 Oct 28, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Perhaps.
Or maybe he was projecting his own anti-atheist sentiments onto me. He is unabashedly anti-atheist enough to take pleasure in repeatedly reminding that he considers us too dangerous to be in positions of power.
Either way, I am not anti-theist - just anti-theism, and then, only organized and politicized theism, not private religion. The theists are not my enemies, even those that call me theirs.

Good on you , you tell me you are not against personal freedom, but against enslavement and brainwashing of the mind.
I salute this thinking.

“Wrath”

Since: Dec 10

Is revenant

#181716 Oct 28, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Gee, you are the neverending zit.
It figures you would make it into a federal case.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min Notliz 1,419,667
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 7 hr John-K 311,627
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) Sat Trojan 32,332
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) Aug 26 Earthling-1 10,065
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Aug 19 JustStop 201,888
mark moel loan house is here for you to uptain ... (Sep '13) Aug 14 Alex 17
legitimate loan lender (Oct '13) Aug 11 Ceren 9
More from around the web