Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
174,141 - 174,160 of 226,561 Comments Last updated 59 min ago

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#181515 Oct 27, 2013
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
My 'God' is proven to exist. You may call it the Laws of the Universe or Life or Quantum Mechanics or String theory or Grand Unified Theory etc.
However, I don't believe in anthropomorphic deities.
:)

So you are in agreement with the noted mathematician, Einstein?

:D

That's some worthy company you keep, there-- and I have no beef with your view of things-- none at all.

People such as you?

**never** try to get laws passed, based on your belief(s).

And that is the distinction that makes all the difference in the world.

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#181516 Oct 27, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Populations are easy to calculate, if you know the correct science.
But while we are at it?
You are correct: During the alleged "birth" of your Jewsus(jesus)?
NO CENSUS WAS TAKEN.
So that part of your myth is ... well... mythical.
NO CENSUS ON RECORD for the alleged "birth" of your Jewsus.
Bible fail.
Even if there had been a census it would have been a distributed task for the tax collectors. The Romans never had the entire population ordered to appear at a country's capital for any reason.

"Remember the 2010 US Census when 300 million citizens had to go to Washington D.C. to fill in out a questionnaire ?"

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#181517 Oct 27, 2013
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
Even if there had been a census it would have been a distributed task for the tax collectors. The Romans never had the entire population ordered to appear at a country's capital for any reason.
"Remember the 2010 US Census when 300 million citizens had to go to Washington D.C. to fill in out a questionnaire ?"
Yep.

And the most damning fact? Those Romans kept records of **everything**.

No Roman record of this "census" thing at all.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#181518 Oct 27, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
So you do believe it's ok to abort late term healthy babies.
Babies should never be aborted. That is illegal and would thus be murder. Only lawful abortions should be performed, meaning limited to embryos and fetuses only. We have our compassionate yet rational standards, and aren't moved much by standards based on an understanding of what Jesus wants. Jesus only get's one vote in this like everybody else, and only if he logs on so to speak. He has no say in absentia except with those who choose to give it to him, and for only as long as they agree to do so.

Am I telling you anything that you didn't already know about how the world appears to an unbeliever, and how radically different that is from its appearance through faith-based eyes? Our assumptions are extremelydifferent from yours. If this isn't something we already agree on, the paragraph above might seem unreasonable or even belligerent, so we should discuss it.
blacklagoon

Revere, MA

#181519 Oct 27, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Noah's flood did not list the year. You really should abadon
The year of Noah’s flood is not listed in the Bible. Estimates can be made but no assurances of the accuracy.
There are a number of civilizations who have recorded the event of Noah’s flood. This evidence was found in tablet form in several locations. It didn’t just come from the Bible.
Not only that Dr. Robert Ballard has come up with proof of a massive flood based on oceanography science.
By the way, Dr Robert Ballard is an oceanographer, NOT a Geologist. Any Geologist worth his salt will tell you that the LACK of Geological evidence proves no such event ever happened. A local flood as Ballard supports, very possibly, a world-wide flood, no chance. Besides the Geological evidence or lack thereof, all reason and logic screams that no such event was possible, without Gods magical intervention. The 3.5 billion MILES of extra water..where it came from and went...Collecting animals for other continents like Australia and the North and South Poles, The fact that the Ark was made of wood and NO wooden boat of that size is seaworthy, and believe me, I know all about boats and being seaworthy, The Ark had NO propulsion, so could not even keep her nose into the storm tossed seas, unless you want to say that in a years time there were NO storms at sea.....To the keeping of food for all the animals without refrigeration..........Add it all up, and all reason and logic point to an impossible event, A children's story, and apparently you have not outgrown these childish stories Pitiful, just pitiful.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#181520 Oct 27, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Noah's flood did not list the year. You really should abadon
The year of Noah’s flood is not listed in the Bible. Estimates can be made but no assurances of the accuracy.
There are a number of civilizations who have recorded the event of Noah’s flood. This evidence was found in tablet form in several locations. It didn’t just come from the Bible.
Not only that Dr. Robert Ballard has come up with proof of a massive flood based on oceanography science.
How did "a number of civilizations" record the event of Noah's flood if everyone in the world except Noah and his family died?

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#181521 Oct 27, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>By the way, Dr Robert Ballard is an oceanographer, NOT a Geologist. Any Geologist worth his salt will tell you that the LACK of Geological evidence proves no such event ever happened. A local flood as Ballard supports, very possibly, a world-wide flood, no chance. Besides the Geological evidence or lack thereof, all reason and logic screams that no such event was possible, without Gods magical intervention. The 3.5 billion MILES of extra water..where it came from and went...Collecting animals for other continents like Australia and the North and South Poles, The fact that the Ark was made of wood and NO wooden boat of that size is seaworthy, and believe me, I know all about boats and being seaworthy, The Ark had NO propulsion, so could not even keep her nose into the storm tossed seas, unless you want to say that in a years time there were NO storms at sea.....To the keeping of food for all the animals without refrigeration..........Add it all up, and all reason and logic point to an impossible event, A children's story, and apparently you have not outgrown these childish stories Pitiful, just pitiful.
I suspected the godbot was **lying**-- and I was correct.

Ballard's work was about the flooding ... of the Black Sea, which once was not underwater.

Not a global flood, as the godbot implied.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#181522 Oct 27, 2013
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
How did "a number of civilizations" record the event of Noah's flood if everyone in the world except Noah and his family died?
Indeed.

Magic?

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#181523 Oct 27, 2013
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
All of those civilizations would have been descendants of the survivors of it?
blacklagoon

Revere, MA

#181524 Oct 27, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
"of course there was no census taken."
Thank you.
Thanks for disproving you're Holy Book. Are you saying that nowhere in the Bible is a census mentioned? Think carefully now before you answer, remember I most likely know more about you're holy book than you.

“Robert Stevens”

Since: Dec 08

Jersey City , NJ

#181525 Oct 27, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
The fraction of people willing to use the word "atheist" to describe themselves is irrelevant. What matters is that the number willing to use the word Christian is headed below 50%.
When all of people who don't have much interest in what Jesus thinks, whether they call themselves atheists, agnostics, skeptics, freethinkers, unbelievers, rationalists, the irreligious, pagan, Druid, New Ager, Wiccan, deists, or "none of the above" on religious affiliation surveys - when we collectively comprise over 50% of the total, Christians will be in the minority, and the Christian church will lose whatever remaining cultural hegemony it has over law, public policy, and dominant societal mores.
What would it matter to us if the fraction calling itself "atheist" fell to zero if the fraction calling itself Christian is less than half?
Incidentally, at the present rate of change, which has been accelerating, and is presently at about a 6% per annum growth rate, that should be by about 2029. I have already given you the raw ARIS and Pew data on this morning, and can supply the calculations on them if you're interested.
<quoted text>
Atheism is a religion, but not a true one? I see. We're a religion when that suits you, but not a true one when that suits you.
This is how one uses language to promote a subjective position as if it were objectively true.
Christians do it with their own as well, such as when they count everyone Christian who calls themselves a Christian while telling us how popular their religion is, then in the next breath, try to distance themselves from most of them and their abominable public records by telling us that they are not true Christians.
This is your second long post in a row, that your babel has nothing to do with my statement. In the first one you even switched my quote around, even after you posted it. Your paraphrasing is just wacky, and goes off the complete statement. It is funny how all the online atheist 1) post with hidden locations and 2) have real bad comprehension skills. You actually make an art of bad comprehension skills. Politician like. And you call it prejudice of me that I would never vote for an atheist, how rich.

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#181526 Oct 27, 2013
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
That doesn't make atheism a philosophy.
Atheism is an appropriate topic for philosophers to consider, but is not a philosophy. It's philosophical underpinnings are such things as rational skepticism, empiricism, and methodological naturalism, but all it is is the necessary conclusion of those principles applied to questions of the supernatural.
Could you do us the courtesy of letting us tell you what we believe ourselves? I thank you in advance.
<quoted text>
Very few of us espouse Nietzsche, Hobbes, Stalin, Ayn Rand, Jehovah, Luther, Calvin, nor any other monster.
The ethical philosopher that resonates best with me is Spinoza.
Again with the trying to switch words around. I did not say it was a philosophy, I said it was built from philosophy and vice versa. I really think you will have a job in room 101, assuming you read 1984.

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#181527 Oct 27, 2013
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
That doesn't make atheism a philosophy.
Atheism is an appropriate topic for philosophers to consider, but is not a philosophy. It's philosophical underpinnings are such things as rational skepticism, empiricism, and methodological naturalism, but all it is is the necessary conclusion of those principles applied to questions of the supernatural.
Could you do us the courtesy of letting us tell you what we believe ourselves? I thank you in advance.
<quoted text>
Very few of us espouse Nietzsche, Hobbes, Stalin, Ayn Rand, Jehovah, Luther, Calvin, nor any other monster.
The ethical philosopher that resonates best with me is Spinoza.
I would only call Stalin a monster. Are you sure you are not anti-atheist. Reading your blogs I find that very likely.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#181528 Oct 27, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Noah flood never happened-- China proves that perfectly:

It has an unbroken history completely through the alleged flood years.

If the flood had been real? Why did Noah's sons return to China, and re-learn ... Chinese? Including Chinese writing, which is nothing like Hebrew?

Hmmm?

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#181529 Oct 27, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
This is your second long post in a row,
Awwww.. the poor little godbot cannot read a long post?

Too much for your little godbot brains to comprehend?

LMAO!
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#181530 Oct 27, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text> More evidence that you are either a bold faced liar, or ignorant about what is contained in you bible. You say the bible says nothing about the time-line for this fictitious flood. Read the FIRST three words......."Using the BIBLE." Liar!!!
Using the Bible, well-documented historical events, and some math, we find that the Flood began approximately 4,359 years ago in the year 1656 AM or 2348 BC. Some may look for an exact date (i.e., month and day), but we are not given that sort of precision in Scrip
If you would just read the response you will see that I said that estimates can be made but who knows if they’re valid.

Robert Ballard has a Doctorate in a specialty science field. Let’s see, do I take the word of a Music Doctor or should I take the word of a profound Oceanographer?

Sorry Doctor, I have to believe a scientist and not a trumpeter.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#181531 Oct 27, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
I would only call Stalin a monster. Are you sure you are not anti-atheist. Reading your blogs I find that very likely.
And here? You prove you cannot read-- at all.

It Ain't has been anti-religious for years on Topix.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#181532 Oct 27, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
So...um...let me see if I've got this right.

Big flood, everyone dies except Noah and his family. Much inbreeding ensues.

Civilizations take hundreds, if not thousands, of years to come about - especially when you're talking multiple civilizations coming from, you know, one family on a boat.

But these civilizations "recorded" the flood...thousands of years later?

Where would you like to begin with what is wrong with this story?
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#181533 Oct 27, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Thanks for disproving you're Holy Book. Are you saying that nowhere in the Bible is a census mentioned? Think carefully now before you answer, remember I most likely know more about you're holy book than you.
Genealogy is listed in the Bible.

Particular missing are detailed years like you would expect on the top page of a newspaper. Probably because there were no newspapers in print at that time. Everything was chiseled onto a stone tablet.

And Doctor, stop calling people liars and cowards. It’s rude and unnecessary. I would expect a more gentleman’s communiqué from an educated man.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#181534 Oct 27, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
I used to help with the annual church Halloween party-- we would have all sorts of fun-- the best and most-loved by the kids, was an in-the-dark pillow fight.(we always provided the super-soft pillows, to avoid any "ringers" or too-hard pillows)
The kids always loved it-- just enough light to barely see... glow-in-the-dark stickers to mark the doors, in case anyone wanted to leave quickly. And plenty of adult monitors (who did not play but suffered pillow-hits instead) to keep anyone from being hurt.
In all they years I did that? Not one injury, nor a complaint--not by the kids anyway.
Alas, the "it's best for you" crowd eventually put a stop to it, as it "promoted violence"... WTF?
I despise "we know better" types-- they are **always** all up in everyone's business-- EXCEPT THEIR OWN.
Which pretty much describes religion in general...
Well that sounds like a lot of fun. I think I would seperate the girls from the boys because the boys hit harder.

We grew up playing dodge ball in school. I heard some schools have done away with it becuase of the violence. But man it was a lot of fun.

Yea, I would be all for pillow fights. That's a great idea I'm going to have to suggest to our youth Pastor.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min RealDave 1,101,379
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 1 hr John-K 305,486
UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 15 hr PEE PEE PETE 27,102
I got my loan from stephenloanhelp@hotmail.com (May '13) Aug 26 RICK SERVICE 29
offer Aug 23 Peter 1
Addition of Emmitt Holt is "Big" for Indiana Aug 23 Mike Williams 1
Ex-Hoosier Zeller embraces NBA learning Aug 23 Mike Williams 1
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

NCAA Basketball People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••