Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 256139 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#181464 Oct 27, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
I think I know where you're going with that.
Christians frequently liken the man-god relationship to the adult-child relationship - what I call Christian infantilization. The model for existence in Christianity is the child's perspective, where there is the need for protection, supervision, and comforting characteristic of childhood.
The entire psychology of Christianity is geared toward the underdevelopment and subordination of the self. It perpetuates dependency, and esteems unknowing and docility. It's authoritarian, paternalistic, filled with superstition, ritual, mythology (stories), and magical thinking.
The Christian is told that he’s born bad and needs constant shepherding from a Heavenly Father figure, a cosmic baby sitter in the sky who is to be obeyed and not questioned.It encourages concrete and uncritical thought, obedience, fear of the boogie man, and a sense of being watched, judged, and punished by a father figure that is keeping account of our actions.
Is that close?
Consider this comment from Bishop John Spong: "The church doesn't like for people to grow up, because you can't control grown-ups. That's why we talk about being born again. When you're 'born again' you're still a child. People don't need to be born again, they need to grow up."
You are correct.

And?

When you factor in the "master/slave" relationship the bible pushes-- with god/jesus as the master, and the True Believer™ as the slave?

It's even worse-- they are told to just shut up and obey--regardless.

It is a ready formula for creating mindless followers, who willingly give up everything to feed the hungry coffers of the select few.

Sound familiar? And the top 1% are loving every unearned minute of it.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#181465 Oct 27, 2013
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
The secular celebration makes far more sense than the Catholic Mass it usurped.
I just find no justification in the ancient Christian and Jewish texts for belief in the Nativity stories.
Me neither-- for one thing?

The classic tale of nativity, relies heavily on the silly notion of the Horoscope-- those three "wise" men? Would have cast a **horoscope** in order to "follow the star".

I find that not only silly, but hypocritical too-- for elsewhere in the bible, horoscopy is condemned.

It's a silly book.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#181466 Oct 27, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Post the message where I said that.
LOL!

Why? It's much better to let you sink your own boat.

LOL!

The louder you protest? The more your credibility fails.

Since: Sep 08

Alamosa, CO

#181467 Oct 27, 2013
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
Agreed!
I am not an atheist and "believe in" Jesus, too. I just don't accept 90% of what modern Christianity tries to pass off as "The Word of God".
All Topix is for me is stimulation to continue seeking the truth.
That is a phenomenon going on since man started thinking beyond the immediate. Questioning the prevailing thought and truths taught to him by others.

Topix atheists got caught in nets in their search for the truth,and tossed into cages they can't see out of. They have become too reactive and not objective.

Plus they are dumb.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#181468 Oct 27, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
That doesn't make atheism a philosophy.
Atheism is an appropriate topic for philosophers to consider, but is not a philosophy. It's philosophical underpinnings are such things as rational skepticism, empiricism, and methodological naturalism, but all it is is the necessary conclusion of those principles applied to questions of the supernatural.
Could you do us the courtesy of letting us tell you what we believe ourselves? I thank you in advance.
<quoted text>
Very few of us espouse Nietzsche, Hobbes, Stalin, Ayn Rand, Jehovah, Luther, Calvin, nor any other monster.
The ethical philosopher that resonates best with me is Spinoza.
I most closely identify with Epicurious, myself.

And more recently? The writings of Robert Heinlein and Iaasic Asimov.

Author C Clarke too.

For living persons of interest? I have to turn to Dr Neil Degrasse Tyson.

He tends to minimize the distinctions of atheist/agnostic, and instead, concentrates on areas where he's an expert: cosmology and physics.

He once stated that one of his life-goals, is to learn something new every day. He believes a person can go far with that-- and I think the example he sets, proves he's right.

Here's the whole quote:

“For me, I am driven by two main philosophies: know more today about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you.”
&#8213; Neil deGrasse Tyson

Since: Sep 08

Alamosa, CO

#181469 Oct 27, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL!
Why? It's much better to let you sink your own boat.
LOL!
The louder you protest? The more your credibility fails.
You have the attributes of a traumatized woman trying to function in the world. A Ruby Red Dress, Delta Dawn, or one of those that just flits away with a "Ta Da!" when things get serious.

Deep internal confusion covered by a topical interface with others.

Since: Sep 08

Alamosa, CO

#181470 Oct 27, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
I most closely identify with Epicurious, myself.
And more recently? The writings of Robert Heinlein and Iaasic Asimov.
Author C Clarke too.
For living persons of interest? I have to turn to Dr Neil Degrasse Tyson.
He tends to minimize the distinctions of atheist/agnostic, and instead, concentrates on areas where he's an expert: cosmology and physics.
He once stated that one of his life-goals, is to learn something new every day. He believes a person can go far with that-- and I think the example he sets, proves he's right.
Here's the whole quote:
“For me, I am driven by two main philosophies: know more today about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you.”
&#8213; Neil deGrasse Tyson
Yes, you identify because you have nothing you created yourself.

You are afraid to venture into unknown territory. So you read about it and create a fantasy.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#181471 Oct 27, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You have the attributes of a traumatized woman trying to function in the world. A Ruby Red Dress, Delta Dawn, or one of those that just flits away with a "Ta Da!" when things get serious.
Deep internal confusion covered by a topical interface with others.
LOL!

Keep digging doofus. Keep digging.

You prove once more, that 100% of what you say, is a lie-- or it was intended to be a lie.

And that anytime you are not lying? That was purely by accident on your part.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#181472 Oct 27, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, you identify because you have nothing you created yourself.
You are afraid to venture into unknown territory. So you read about it and create a fantasy.
Oh!

I did not realize that you had mastered mental telepathy!

You are privy to my entire range of thoughts, hopes and dreams, now?

And you know everything I ever did in my whole life?

Wow!

You must think you are a **god** or something, to have such power...

...or?

You are just batshit insane.

Which is more likely?
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#181473 Oct 27, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
I most closely identify with Epicurious, myself.
And more recently? The writings of Robert Heinlein and Iaasic Asimov.
Author C Clarke too.
For living persons of interest? I have to turn to Dr Neil Degrasse Tyson.
He tends to minimize the distinctions of atheist/agnostic, and instead, concentrates on areas where he's an expert: cosmology and physics.
He once stated that one of his life-goals, is to learn something new every day. He believes a person can go far with that-- and I think the example he sets, proves he's right.
Here's the whole quote:
“For me, I am driven by two main philosophies: know more today about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you.”
&#8213; Neil deGrasse Tyson
My favorite Clarke quote.."One of two things is possible, either we are alone in the universe or we are not, either one is frightening."
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#181474 Oct 27, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL!
Keep digging doofus. Keep digging.
You prove once more, that 100% of what you say, is a lie-- or it was intended to be a lie.
And that anytime you are not lying? That was purely by accident on your part.
You know how you can tell if Dave is NOT lying?.........His mouth is NOT moving.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#181475 Oct 27, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Me neither-- for one thing?
The classic tale of nativity, relies heavily on the silly notion of the Horoscope-- those three "wise" men? Would have cast a **horoscope** in order to "follow the star".
I find that not only silly, but hypocritical too-- for elsewhere in the bible, horoscopy is condemned.
It's a silly book.
1. The Virgin Birth/Nativity wa a story invented to convert Grecco-Roman pagans, nothing more.

2. The number of Magi is not mention anywhere in the Bible.

Yes, it is silly to believe anything in the Bible is other than stories told by men.

It is even sillier to believe anything "The Church" claims about those stories.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#181476 Oct 27, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh!
I did not realize that you had mastered mental telepathy!
You are privy to my entire range of thoughts, hopes and dreams, now?
And you know everything I ever did in my whole life?
Wow!
You must think you are a **god** or something, to have such power...
...or?
You are just batshit insane.
Which is more likely?
I'll pick door number two.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#181477 Oct 27, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
That is a phenomenon going on since man started thinking beyond the immediate. Questioning the prevailing thought and truths taught to him by others.
Topix atheists got caught in nets in their search for the truth,and tossed into cages they can't see out of. They have become too reactive and not objective.
Plus they are dumb.
I see little difference between the attitude of stead-fast atheists and devout theists.

Neither are looking for "Truth", they are just trying to rationalized what they already believe... even if it is proven to be wrong.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#181478 Oct 27, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, you identify because you have nothing you created yourself.
You are afraid to venture into unknown territory. So you read about it and create a fantasy.
You just described religion. <smile>

Since: Sep 08

Alamosa, CO

#181479 Oct 27, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh!
I did not realize that you had mastered mental telepathy!
You are privy to my entire range of thoughts, hopes and dreams, now?
And you know everything I ever did in my whole life?
Wow!
You must think you are a **god** or something, to have such power...
...or?
You are just batshit insane.
Which is more likely?
The most likely?

That you are shallow enough to recognize at a glance.
Anon

Lakewood, OH

#181480 Oct 27, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
The most likely?
That you are shallow enough to recognize at a glance.
Looks like everyone left for Sunday worship of the NFL, the one true faith...
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#181481 Oct 27, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
I quit doing Halloween years ago-- you hypocrite christians would send your teen age kids around and trash the neighborhood.
I used to do it for the little ones-- but due to Christian Poisoning of the holiday?
Little kids are no longer allowed out and about.
You should be proud: Your sort has killed a children's holiday.
Due to your ugly hate-beliefs.
I seen a lot of ghost and goblins last night Bob. And who says there’s no such things as ghost? Lol, we had a great time. I don’t see myself celebrating Halloween as much as celebrating kids having a good time.

It was a World Series night so the crowds were down some but never the less it was a wonderful night.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#181482 Oct 27, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Weak argument. There was NO war with Egypt when God murdered all of the Egyptian first born males. I war there is always collateral damage involving innocent bystanders. Even if the Jews were at war with Egypt, which they weren't, this was NOT collateral damage to innocent bystanders, this was wanton murder of innocent little babies.
"Noah preached and forewarned the population prior to the flood" .....NOW please pay cole attention, as I have asked this question a number of times, and each time you either ignore the question or try and deflect it by changing the subject. So...Did the people from China hear this forewarning from Noah? How about the Egyptian empire, were they forewarned by Noah? The people from Polynesia, New Zealand, Australia, South America, Canada?
Second question. Had all of those people been able to hear Noah's forewarning, and somehow flocked to the Ark, how could Noah have saved millions of those people?
Again I have answered the question and you choose to ignore it.

There’s no known official census for the time period.

You’re making radical assumptions in your hypothetical question.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#181483 Oct 27, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe if you're a man who will never understand what he's watching. Try pushing a small pumpkin up your ass and tell me how exciting it is.
<quoted text>
Of course it is. Do you know somebody who disagrees with that?
<quoted text>
Again, there are no unborn children and again, push a small pumpkin up your ass and tell me who it belongs to.
<quoted text>
Until it can breathe and feed on it's own, it's a symbiotic parasite.
<quoted text>
They should keep their dicks in their underoos.
"Your sperm's in the gutter your love's in the sink"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =MktqwE1Zl-8XX
<quoted text>
Like the sex that caused it?
It's the woman's choice, Eagle. The Supreme Court agrees with me. If you don't like it you can always move, right?
I acknowledge giving birth is a painful experience in most cases. In modern hospitals there’s pain relief methods such as an epidural.

Your comments about a fetus being a symbiotic parasite is demeaning to mothers everywhere. Both past and present.

I’m sure your experience in life has caused you to believe this way. I’m sorry you have had such negative experiences with men.

Was your Father a positive or negative influence in your opinion?

You don’t have to answer if you don’t want too. I don’t wish to cause you any harm.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min RoxLo 1,406,593
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) Jul 27 Trojan 32,308
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) Jul 27 ThomasA 311,496
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) Jul 27 IB DaMann 9,991
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Jul 25 NotInPotatoQuality 201,878
legitimate loan lender (Oct '13) Jul 21 Ceren 7
What Ever Happen To Niagara Basketball (May '15) Jul 17 Disappointed PE 3
More from around the web