Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#181234 Oct 25, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
...as people realized animal sacrificing was barbaric...
In so far as Judaism goes, the alleged sacrifices were simply a cooked meal. Only a couple offerings a year were burnt to cinders as a "meal" to the deity. If you read the OT, only the guts and blood were "offered on the fiery altar" AKA "burned as trash".

The Jewish "sacrifice festivals" were no more barbaric than a family barbeque.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#181235 Oct 25, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
It's an Atheist web site.
So are the majority of Universities. So what?

If you want the unvarnished TRUTH?

You **must** ignore any and all RELIGIOUS sites-- they don't use truth-- they **must** stoop to lies.

You know-- like the lying buybull(bible).

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#181236 Oct 25, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Only Atheist died in the flood,
Bullshyt. At that time? Most of the world believed in various gods of various kinds.

Even your silly bible talks about **other** gods of **other** people besides the Israelites.

Why do you lie in such easy to prove ways?

“Love much, trust none”

There

#181237 Oct 25, 2013
<quoted text>
And what is even funnier about the BuyBull(bible)?
As we move forward towards the 22nd century?
More and more of the bible magically becomes "well--that's just allegorical".
It started with the OT commandments to burn animals to "please god"-- that became "allegorical" as people realized animal sacrificing was barbaric.
As more and more of the hideous bible-behavior was seen as barbaric? They too became barbaric and were discarded.
On up to the modern era, when slavery was finally decreed barbaric-- and the bible passages advocating and even commanding the taking of human slaves was seen as ... allegorical....
.... What? The? Eff?
When will it stop? Who gets to decide these things, anyway?
LOL!
Clearly **secular** folk have superior morals and ethics than the bible-writers.
Point on slavery is well taken.

Note that in the USA until less than 100 years ago, one was better off being a slave in the south than a factory worker in the North.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#181238 Oct 25, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Only Atheist died in the flood, that's right. Everyone was given a chance to be saved and they didn't believe.
Even the babies? Even the little, tiny kids?

They all drowned too-- were **they** offered a chance? No?

How about all the puppies and kittens who also drowned? Were **they** given a chance? No?

What about all the **other** animals in the world-- were **they** given a choice? No?

Face it: the flood story is one of the most **EVIL** stories ever fabricated by man.

And you worship the god who you believe, perpetuated such an ugly tale of god-evil.

Wow....

... what does that make YOU?

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#181239 Oct 25, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Doc, you guys don't supply evidence why should I? I know damn well it's an Atheist site.
Just like you know "damn well" that Obama is a Muslim.

Right?

You "just know".... without a single fact or paper-- you just "know".

Riiiiiiight.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#181240 Oct 25, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
There’s no contradictions, only misinterpretations.
That?

That is 100% proof your bible is NOT GODLY.

What sort of GOD would produce such a silly thing that could be SO EASILY GOT WRONG?

Hmmmm?

LOL!

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#181241 Oct 25, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes there’s a whole dump truck load of religious frauds. The difference is I will admit to that.
And THAT?

Is 100% proof there is NO GOD behind ANY of it!

What god would suffer such fraud to sully it's name?

Hmmm?

The SAME god who -- according to the BuyBull(bible)-- MURDERED a guy because he tried to keep the Ark from tipping over?

Clearly this god is quite willing to KILL ON A WHIM--- so preventing the FRAUD would be quite simple to such a being.

How do you EXPLAIN this?

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#181242 Oct 25, 2013
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
So abortion is OK, the fetus is saved from unloving abusive parents and goes immediately to heaven ?
Those kind of decisions are manmade. It is also one that only really shows up when the society reaches a stage of complexity and size where survival as a species isn't the prime concern.

A lot of women are sort of forced into that decision by the societies they live in, peer pressures and achievement of goals induced by the society, plus those that make money from performing such things. Neither the planned parenthood or the preacherman should be making that decision. I consider it a decision and a judgement call between the woman and the Creator, not from third parties. Third parties can only second guess. It is the woman that has to live with it. They shouldn't be pawns in struggles for control.

Planned parenthood advocates murder. Anti-abortionists presume to speak for the Creator. Just say no to both.

Leave the woman alone. Support her. She will probably carry the baby to term if it isn't a threat to her life or those around her.

It is manmade expectations in life versus natural instincts.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#181243 Oct 25, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Bob clean up your house and find you a wife. You might even find an ole jail bird like yourself.
1) I've never been to jail-- not even one time.(can YOU say the same)

2) your hate of me is duly noted-- you just JUDGE me in the worst possible light-- how JESUS of you

3) my house is fine --- is yours?(doubtful)

4) you STILL cannot refute my comments/criticisms of YOU.

Why?

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#181244 Oct 25, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>When he says something more intellectual I think he's referring to strings and magnets, that sort of thing. For some unknown reason his brain evolved without logic Can being close to too many magnets effect the brain? Just curious.
No-- but being too close to religious dogma can severely damage your brain-- especially if you are quite young when first exposed to religion.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#181245 Oct 25, 2013
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
In so far as Judaism goes, the alleged sacrifices were simply a cooked meal. Only a couple offerings a year were burnt to cinders as a "meal" to the deity. If you read the OT, only the guts and blood were "offered on the fiery altar" AKA "burned as trash".

The Jewish "sacrifice festivals" were no more barbaric than a family barbeque.
True enough. But pretty quickly (as these things go) even the Jews quit doing any sort of burnt offering, apart from purely symbolic gestures.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#181246 Oct 25, 2013
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
Point on slavery is well taken.

Note that in the USA until less than 100 years ago, one was better off being a slave in the south than a factory worker in the North.
Well... better off is a relative term, is it not?

Those factory workers were worked like... slaves.. yes. But, they could have walked away, if they wanted-- and not been hounded to death for doing so, and shot down like animals.

The southern slaves? Not so much.

And that, I propose, is the chief distinction.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#181247 Oct 25, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Those kind of decisions are manmade.
ALL decisions are manmade.

Until and IF you can manage to produce this ... "god" of yours, that is.

There is your conundrum: you cannot produce your god.

So you don't **get** to make claims about it-- until you do.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#181248 Oct 25, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
The children of avowed atheists, atheists from ignorance, and even children of the righteous can all have their existence terminated. Then they get sorted out.
Child protective services are well known for taking children out of bad situations to place them in better environments. Why not their Creator?
Your logic is limited.
Please tell me you're joking with this...

“Love much, trust none”

There

#181249 Oct 25, 2013
It is impossible to read the OT and not come to realize that YHWY is an evil POS.

Anyone who denies that is inane or brainwashed.
<quoted text>
Even the babies? Even the little, tiny kids?
They all drowned too-- were **they** offered a chance? No?
How about all the puppies and kittens who also drowned? Were **they** given a chance? No?
What about all the **other** animals in the world-- were **they** given a choice? No?
Face it: the flood story is one of the most **EVIL** stories ever fabricated by man.
And you worship the god who you believe, perpetuated such an ugly tale of god-evil.
Wow....
... what does that make YOU?

“Love much, trust none”

There

#181250 Oct 25, 2013
<quoted text>
True enough. But pretty quickly (as these things go) even the Jews quit doing any sort of burnt offering, apart from purely symbolic gestures.
True. The Jews themselves will admit that their culture has evolved.
Note that most Jews refer to Judaism as "traditions" not "religions".

IMHO, modern Judaism is closer to what Jesus taught than Christianity.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#181251 Oct 25, 2013
<quoted text>
Well... better off is a relative term, is it not?
Those factory workers were worked like... slaves.. yes. But, they could have walked away, if they wanted-- and not been hounded to death for doing so, and shot down like animals.
The southern slaves? Not so much.
And that, I propose, is the chief distinction.
Not if they owed the company store, and yes, they could and were shot down like animals. The money men owned the towns and law in those days.

“Love much, trust none”

There

#181252 Oct 25, 2013
<quoted text>
Those factory workers were worked like... slaves.. yes. But, they could have walked away, if they wanted-.....
Oh Boy! They got to choose where they would be worked to death!

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#181253 Oct 25, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
Education is the key to preventing unwanted pregnancies.
But not just any education. By definition, it has to be effective education to prevent unwanted pregnancies. Fortunately, you seem to agree that abstinence-only education, which is often taught in parochial schools, is less effective than the sex education based on empiric studies and offered in the secular public schools. That is to your credit.

My purpose with all of these plugs for secularism is to point out what a huge contribution secular pursuits have made compared to the contributions from the bible and the church, which have been relatively sterile resources for useful knowledge. You seem to acknowledge that at times, yet still prefer the religious.

Let me ask you this, and you needn't answer to anybody but yourself: If you were wrong in your faith, and it could somehow be demonstrated to you in a compelling and undeniable way, would you want to know?

I believe that most Christians, are happy with their faith, and wouldn't want it undermined whether there was a god or not. They want to believe something that comforts them even if incorrect more than they want to believe something that is correct even if uncomfortable. Would you agree with that?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What role do you think humans play in global wa... 11 min Quantummist 2,205
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 48 min cpeter1313 306,613
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 59 min shinningelectr0n 1,144,590
Emerald Coast Classic 2014: Teams, Schedule, Li... 3 hr badbob 1
Should child beauty pageants be banned? 6 hr Roy the Boy 650
cardinal freshmen 6 hr card 2906 1
UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 7 hr Trojan 28,265

NCAA Basketball People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE