Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story
blacklagoon

Revere, MA

#181058 Oct 22, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I got it now, Atheism is lack of a belief in deities.
So is a bag of rocks.
Iím not saying your as dumb of a bag of rocks. I really donít want to believe that. But you are trying to convince me youíre dumb as rocks.
Well I guess Iíll take your word for it since it is your word. Who would know how better how smart you are than you and of course that bag of rocks.
So is a bog of rocks? So is a rainbow, a waterfall, sunsetting over the ocean on a balmy evening, the awe inspiring night sky filled with trillions of stars and galaxies, a new born baby, and every animal on the face of the planet.

In trying your best to be a smart ass, you've made yourself look the complete fool!!
blacklagoon

Revere, MA

#181059 Oct 22, 2013
very well wrote:
<quoted text>
There is absolutely ZERO percent chance that evilution occurred. Think harder, desperate atheist.
Says the mer child with absolutely no scientific education. You do know that one of the worst traits a person can have is being willfully ignorant. One of two possibilities exists here, you are unable to read, or your have no comprehension skills whatsoever. Which is it? Of course I don't want to be rude, but there is another possibility, could it be that you are just plain stupid? OH, I forgot another possibility, that you're a troll, no one could possibly be that stupid.
blacklagoon

Revere, MA

#181060 Oct 22, 2013
JPo wrote:
"Faith" is just the confidence you have in one that you have experience or evidence about. It's not "belief in something for which there is no evidence." In the ancient Greek, it was a noun-like verb that was usually towards a person. A soldier may have faith in a commander because of the many things he's heard and experienced with that commander.
So let's say you're an atheist who believes evolution explains the origin of man. If you have no expertise in evolutionary biology where do you derive your "belief" and "confidence?" From those you read and hear regarding the subject. You have "faith" in them and their expertise based on what you read and hear from them or their work.
We all have faith in things for which we have no expertise. The confidence we have is no less evidential. It's what we learn, know, and hear that builds that faith.
Wrong,"faith" is whats need when there is NO evidence. When the word faith is used in relationship to religion it is always used in that context. You are confusing faith with TRUST. A soldier has TRUST in his commander.

If you have no expertise in evolutionary biology, you can at least educate yourself to the point where you don't have to use Faith. I TRUST what evolutionary biologists tell me. It is what we know, and learn builds knowledge not faith. I don't have faith in anything in my life, I have trust, trust in things for which I have evidence.
blacklagoon

Revere, MA

#181061 Oct 22, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Again I'm asking, who came first, male or female? Regaurdless what science is involved, I would just love to have a real answer. Or did twins of the opposite sex hatch?
Are you also saying evolution is not involved in abiogenesis?
That is correct, evolution and abiogenesis are two completely different processes. Evolution is hereditary changes in a population over a long period of time, and abiogenesis is the process where life comes from non-lliving elements, there is NO connection. See how wonderful and empowered one can be with knowledge!!!!
blacklagoon

Revere, MA

#181062 Oct 22, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
No mythical being Doctor. But a real engineer, designer and architect. All in one.
Of course he's a MYTH, he fits the definition perfectly......MYTH.."A traditional stroy concerning early history of a people or explaining some natural of social phenomenon and typically involving a SUPERNATURAL BEING of event. A perfect example of God.

A real engineer and designer you say?......I'd more likely call him a hack. He gave the bird of prey the superior eyes sight, the canines the superior sense of smell, the felines excellent night vision, turtles a hard shell for protection, we slip and fall we can be killed, great design eh? He gave the whales and dolphins one hole to breath from and one to eat, he gave us one, so thousands of us can choke to death eating, great design eh?

Of course there is NO grand designer, all the animals I mention got those advantages through evolution.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#181063 Oct 22, 2013
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
Female.
If you want specifics then pay for a university education like the rest of us.
Zing.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#181064 Oct 22, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you also saying evolution is not involved in abiogenesis?
Are you saying that the doorknob is not involved in the potato?

Makes about as much sense as your question.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#181065 Oct 22, 2013
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
I read your post but all I saw was:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =Cgb-JDLIOG0XX
Thanks for the belly laugh.

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#181066 Oct 23, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
No Doctor you have no proof of the evolution of man.
Man has like 206 bones. Yet when you look at the evidence going back 6 millions years. All you find is less than 10% of the bones of even just one alleged human. The rest if filled in with imagination and speculation.
Paleontologist have found nearly intact skeletons of dinosaurs. These skeletons are much older than 6 million years. Where are all these fossils of man from the beginning to modern times?
If you threw out the artist conceptions and sculptures. You would have nothing. And you almost have nothing now. Do you remember Lucy? Also known as AL 288-1.
40 % of the bones of Lucy was found. It look like it had been run over by a dump truck because many of those bones were just fragments. Lucy was paraded around as being a direct link to modern humans. The missing link sort of speak. Come to find out Lucy might have been Luke. And Luke was an Ape and not some human mix.
You donít know much about palaeontology, human evolution and evolution in general do you?

When was the last time you saw a fossil of a human sized dinosaur? Fossils for only the larger dinosaurs (which incidentally are far bore substantial than humans) are so complete, the smaller ones including human size are not and often other methods of discovering that they existed need be used.

I believe I have told you this before but for some reason you seem to have ignored it, canít for the life of me think why. My hobby is the study of Cro-Magnon man, i.e. the study of early humans dating between about 18 to 50 thousand years ago. I actually spent part of this summer investigating a grave site approximately dated 55,000 years ago.

Fossilised remains of very early homo sapiens have been found dating up to 200,000 years ago

There is evidence that human evolution can be traced back in an unbroken line of findings back to Homo habilis about 2.5 million years ago. More sketchy but the gaps are irrelevant to all but the most ardent goddidit by magic bot we can go back to Australopithecus anamensis about 4.2 million years ago.

Note, I spent some time studying Lucy, no mention of missing link except by fundi goddidit bots looking for a cop out. Note, you are an ape, so whereís the problem?

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#181068 Oct 23, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
You believe in ďForrest GumpísĒ theory of abogenesis.
ďSh*t Happens.Ē
I think you have me confused with a Christian. That's the genesis version give or take some dust, a rib, and a magic sky pixie (you'll find that you'll generally get as much respect from me as you give).

The hypothesis I embrace is much more detailed and complex than your Jesus Gump magical version (good name, by the way! can I steal it?), and it's only in its infancy.

Put your bible down for a minute and learn something:
http://pandasthumb.org/archives/2008/07/what-...
Eagle 12 wrote:
Iím a little more scientific than that Doctor.
No you're not.
Eagle 12 wrote:
The run of life on earth is far too complex to have just ďhappened.Ē
But not your god, huh? "Shit# like gods "happening" uncreated and without cause are just fine with you, right?
blacklagoon

Revere, MA

#181069 Oct 23, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I know what atheism is about. I was raised with an Atheist father. And he was hard core Atheist.
Iím just telling you Atheism requires belief in what is not known. When we delve into the very beginning of all life. The trigger mechanism that started it all. The complexity of DNA and RNA strands to make advance life forms.
Atheist donít know but accept that it happened. Creation of life from a sterile environment all by itself. Itís never been done by science. That should tell you thatís itís not easy to do. Because it has never ever happened all on its own.
It seems as every time you open your mouth, blatant ignorance spews forth. "Creation of life from a *sterile* environment." What? Where did you ever hear such a thing, that the Early earth had a *sterile* environment, a creationists web site? Here's your *sterile* environment.(A-I) the primordial atmosphere made up of ammonia, methane, water vapor, and even some quantities of hydrogen. Add some energy from the heat of numerous volcanos, the heat and ionizing power of lightning, the intense radiation of radioactive atoms, and the steady radiation of the sun. Add to that the very energetic component of sunlight, ultraviolet radiation. Indeed experiments have specifically SHOWN that ultraviolet light is energetic enough to INTERACT with chemicals of the primordial atmosphere and set the off on their march toward life. Sterile atmosphere..........I told you before, quit reading shit from creationists, it will rot your brain!!!!!!

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#181070 Oct 23, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
But not your god, huh? "Shit# like gods "happening" uncreated and without cause are just fine with you, right?
Funny how godbots always forget about one tiny aspects of the whole process Ė time.

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#181071 Oct 23, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Funny how godbots always forget about one tiny aspects of the whole process Ė time.
Well according to some godbots, it all took place in six days and nothing has changed since.

No religion has ever failed by underestimating the intelligence and gullibility of humans.
LCNLin

United States

#181072 Oct 23, 2013
- In the News -

The Vatican has suspended a senior German Church leader dubbed the "bishop of bling" by the media over his alleged lavish spending.

Bishop of Limburg Franz-Peter Tebartz-van Elst is accused of spending more than 31m euros (£26m; $42m) on renovating his official residence.

The Vatican said it deemed "appropriate... a period of leave from the diocese" for the bishop.

The suspension comes two days after he met the Pope to discuss the matter.

"A situation has been created in which the bishop can no longer exercise his episcopal duties", a Vatican statement said.

It said a Church commission would rule on the matter, but did not say where Bishop Tebartz-van Elst, 53, would go or what he would do while the inquiry was held.

The head of Germany's main lay Catholic group, the Central Committee of German Catholics, Alois Glueck, welcomed the Vatican's decision.

When Bishop Tebartz-van Elst flew into Rome last week it was reportedly on a Ryanair flight. Budget travel is perhaps not quite the style of the "bishop of bling", but it was more appropriate given his mission.

He was here to explain to the Pope his $42m palace renovation job. And waiting for that meeting cannot have been comfortable. Would the Pope mention the bishop's $20,000 bathtub? Or the $34,000 conference table?

Everybody knows that building projects can get, well, out of hand. But of all the popes, Francis was least likely to be sympathetic.

At the centre of his message has been the need for the Church to connect to the poor and the deprived. Francis has criticised clerics who live too lavishly. He has told them not to live "like princes", and he has himself chosen to stay in a Vatican guest house rather than move into the very much grander papal apartment.

He said: "Pope Francis's decision offers the chance of a first step toward a new beginning in the Limburg diocese, because the situation has become an increasing burden for the faithful there, and in all of Germany, over recent weeks."
LCNLin

United States

#181074 Oct 23, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Science is silent on atheism
LCNLin

United States

#181075 Oct 23, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
That's amusement, not jealousy.
Trust me.
Bob Posts a lot
and is very much into
"BoB"
end of story
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#181076 Oct 23, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Of course he's a MYTH, he fits the definition perfectly......MYTH.."A traditional stroy concerning early history of a people or explaining some natural of social phenomenon and typically involving a SUPERNATURAL BEING of event. A perfect example of God.
A real engineer and designer you say?......I'd more likely call him a hack. He gave the bird of prey the superior eyes sight, the canines the superior sense of smell, the felines excellent night vision, turtles a hard shell for protection, we slip and fall we can be killed, great design eh? He gave the whales and dolphins one hole to breath from and one to eat, he gave us one, so thousands of us can choke to death eating, great design eh?
Of course there is NO grand designer, all the animals I mention got those advantages through evolution.
My goodness Doctor, you are all worked up in a frothing fuming response. Itís ok Doctor, donít take it so personal. I canít help it thereís hardly any transitional fossils for mankind. But you have something to be really proud about.
Evolution has some of the best artist in the world.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#181077 Oct 23, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>It seems as every time you open your mouth, blatant ignorance spews forth. "Creation of life from a *sterile* environment." What? Where did you ever hear such a thing, that the Early earth had a *sterile* environment, a creationists web site? Here's your *sterile* environment.(A-I) the primordial atmosphere made up of ammonia, methane, water vapor, and even some quantities of hydrogen. Add some energy from the heat of numerous volcanos, the heat and ionizing power of lightning, the intense radiation of radioactive atoms, and the steady radiation of the sun. Add to that the very energetic component of sunlight, ultraviolet radiation. Indeed experiments have specifically SHOWN that ultraviolet light is energetic enough to INTERACT with chemicals of the primordial atmosphere and set the off on their march toward life. Sterile atmosphere..........I told you before, quit reading shit from creationists, it will rot your brain!!!!!!
Itís so easy science has not been able to reproduce genesis. Oh as far as ammonia, nothing can live in ammonia. Ever notice where a dog urinates? It kills the grass. Have you ever had a fish tank?

Guess what happens when the water is not replenished with fresh water? The ammonia kills the tank. By the way where did these elements come from? They just appeared?

You believe in self creation Doctor. It has not been reproduced in a lab anywhere in the world. Can you please explain.

Where did the elements come from?

How do you account ammonia NH3 kills biological growth?

DNA or RNA is necessary for cell growth & division. How did the strands self construct this complicated information arrangement all on itís own

“Michin yeoja”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#181078 Oct 23, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
My goodness Doctor, you are all worked up in a frothing fuming response. Itís ok Doctor, donít take it so personal. I canít help it thereís hardly any transitional fossils for mankind. But you have something to be really proud about.
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes. You hardly ever see them paint a blue eyed, blond haired middle eastern man holding a lamb, do you?
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#181079 Oct 23, 2013
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
Well according to some godbots, it all took place in six days and nothing has changed since.
No religion has ever failed by underestimating the intelligence and gullibility of humans.
The six days are actually the six stages in creation. And each day could have been billions of years. Gods work day is not equal to mans day. The thought that creation was performed in six human days is the old 1950's thinking. You are about 63 years behind in what modern day Christians believe.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 12 min fetch almighty 1,109,081
Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 1 hr h-elms 200,936
UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 8 hr Trojan 27,340
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 12 hr Pearl Jam 305,554
Freshman Jonah Bolden declared ineligible for U... Sep 12 Brew In 1
Indiana Basketball: 2015 Forward Juwan Morgan C... Sep 11 Mike Williams 1
ACC Tournament 2014: Biggest Storylines to Watc... (Mar '14) Sep 11 Anonymous 2
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

NCAA Basketball People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••