Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 256555 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#180781 Oct 20, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Upstanding world class citizens and staunch supporters of human rights. Of course Atheism was a part of their communist ideology. That’s why they were such human rights champions.
What is the biblical position on human and civil rights? Does it elaborate anywhere what if any those are, or how they are to be defended? Does the Christian god enforce any rights of man?

Fennario

#180782 Oct 20, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
A God that can be cruel, indifferent, and can HATE, is not a God worthy of worship. Notice how all of these traits are human traits. Do you really think a God should possess the same failings as humans? In humans, these are extremely undesirable traits, and societies scorns people with these traits.
Eagle 12 wrote:
God made man in his image. So we are like him in many ways.
Is that what you say the bible means when it says that we are made in a god's image? Is that my legacy from this god - my god nature? I work to eliminate that aspect of my nature.

Secular humanism esteems and promotes the opposite: kindness and compassion.
Imhotep

Charlotte, NC

#180783 Oct 20, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
What is the biblical position on human and civil rights? Does it elaborate anywhere what if any those are, or how they are to be defended? Does the Christian god enforce any rights of man?
Well Doc it's time to depart - brief stay at Reykjavík Iceland and I'm back to Schiphol airport in Amsterdam.

My very first stop will be @ Stones Corner for a cappuccino and a bud!, and I don't mean Budweiser!

"Know God "
Know nothing
"No God"
No problem!

Voor de goede orde, het is altijd een genoegen met u kan chatten.

Ik wens u het allerbeste leven te bieden heeft.

Adios amigo,
Vaya con dios! LOL

Fennario

#180784 Oct 20, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
You may not want to use the word “faith” but you do have faith in everyday life. And the word itself doesn’t have to be associated with religion.
The word faith has many unrelated meanings. Here are five:

Faith (1)- certitude without evidence that is refractory to evidence. Faith (2)- ordinary secular belief or trust, which is evidence based, tentative, and amenable to change in the face of contradictory new evidence.
Faith (3)- sincerity of intentions, as something done in good or bad faith.
Faith (4)- a religious system such as the Hindu faith
Faith (5)- a girl or woman's name.

It's a logical error to equate or conflate them. The error is called an equivocation fallacy.

Here's an example of one:

It's a good idea to keep your money in banks.
Rivers have banks.
Therefore, it's a good idea to keep your money in rivers.

For a Christian to say that because I have faith in the fidelity of my wife that I am like a religious person, or to say that (religious) faith is valid because everybody has faith (evidence based expectation) is to make this same error of treating two radically different ideas that share a word as equivalent.

Fennario

#180785 Oct 20, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
Well Doc it's time to depart - brief stay at Reykjavík Iceland and I'm back to Schiphol airport in Amsterdam.
My very first stop will be @ Stones Corner for a cappuccino and a bud!, and I don't mean Budweiser!
"Know God "
Know nothing
"No God"
No problem!
Voor de goede orde, het is altijd een genoegen met u kan chatten.
Ik wens u het allerbeste leven te bieden heeft.
Adios amigo,
Vaya con dios! LOL
Fare thee well, and see you on the threads soon, I hope.

Since: Sep 10

United States

#180786 Oct 20, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You will find out.
Hey, Catcher, if mankind did away with God, who would they have to rebel against?
The world of man with no God, everyone in step and thinking the same thing. No passions. No excitement.
Your church sounds like a place to snooze in waiting for the sermon to end. Only problem is it would take a lifetime to experience something. Like leaving it.
Getting drunk and stripper poles get old fairly quick.
You miss the point, and won't listen to me.
I suggest you check out the Oprah-Diana Nyad controversy.
And read Chris Stedman's new book, Faitheism.
I'm here to help.
And you are welcome in my church.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#180787 Oct 20, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Does your god have a penis?
Of course he does, he f--ked every one with his global flood, at least thats what the children's story say's.

Since: Sep 10

United States

#180788 Oct 20, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
An experience is not the same thing as experiencing the world. How do you know that you are not experiencing your own mind?
Faitheism's author is the Humanist Chaplain at Harvard.

I haven't read it, but will.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#180789 Oct 20, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
The “experience” of having a hallucination can be real.
The same goes for the “experience” of having a heart attack. Or the experience of having a stroke.
But the hallucination itself is an illusion.
Back to what I had said previously. No one proves God to someone else. You “experience” God as a individual. And that takes an objective mind and a willingness to try.
My life is as good as it could possibly be. What advantage would there be for me to suddenly find God? In what way would finding God enhance my life? Science provides me with all the answers that I think are important, beyond that I have little interest.

It would be nice if you could just once answer my questions rather than dance around the issues as you are so apt to do. Thanks
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#180790 Oct 20, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I applaud you Doctor.
Thank you kind sir
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#180791 Oct 20, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I do think you do believe he's real.
I don't deal in absolute's, but until I have sufficient evidence that a God or Gods exists, I will continue to reject the idea. Could I say with certainty that absolutely nowhere at no time did I higher power exits, no I couldn't. But I value my skepticism. Reason and logic are kind of a big deal to me, as is truth. All reason and logic tell me no such being could exist, at least the being portrayed by most religions, the Christian God in particular.

Once again I see NO advantage that believing in God has over NOT believing in God. I see no advantage that religion has over not being religious. One of my favorite quotes. "I was religious until I reached the age of reason."

Since: Sep 08

Alamosa, CO

#180792 Oct 20, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>I don't deal in absolute's, but until I have sufficient evidence that a God or Gods exists, I will continue to reject the idea. Could I say with certainty that absolutely nowhere at no time did I higher power exits, no I couldn't. But I value my skepticism. Reason and logic are kind of a big deal to me, as is truth. All reason and logic tell me no such being could exist, at least the being portrayed by most religions, the Christian God in particular.
Once again I see NO advantage that believing in God has over NOT believing in God. I see no advantage that religion has over not being religious. One of my favorite quotes. "I was religious until I reached the age of reason."
A blind man can't see anything. His world is limited to what he can perceive it with.

Cool sunglasses you have there, DaddyO. Shame you don't know what they look like.

But you can sure blow your horn.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#180793 Oct 20, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
A blind man can't see anything. His world is limited to what he can perceive it with.
Cool sunglasses you have there, DaddyO. Shame you don't know what they look like.
But you can sure blow your horn.
I refuse to have conversation with scientifically illiterate people, sorry!!!
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#180795 Oct 20, 2013
atheists are miserable wrote:
<quoted text>
This is an excuse to continue with your burden-filled fight against what you really know is true, but yet too cowardly to admit. God does exists.
I value your ignorance. I try to steer completely in a different direction from the immoral life you live.
If God exists then you should be able to prove it with something other than childish stories and delusional experiences. For 2000 years no one on the face of the planet has been able to supply irrefutable, verifiable, scientifically supported evidence for your Demon God thing, 2000 years an NADA. Go ahead now tell me a rainbow or a flower is proof of God. By the way, a rainbow is supposed to be a sign from God apologizing for being such a prick.

What I KNOW is true is ALWAYS verified by science. God may exist in your feeble little mind, but no where else.

You know nothing about my life or my morals, to even question them shows how desperate you are to validate your own morality. And if you are a Christian, your track record is nothing to be proud of. Do a little research into spousal abuse in the bible belt, it's shocking. Then take a look at the number of *moral* Christians in the prison population.

You're just another delusional Theists angry that you can't validate your God. Angry because you KNOW Atheists are right in denying the existence of your God, and you have NO argument other than your immoral holy book, delusional experiences, children's stories, rainbow and waterfalls, the complexity of life, the origins of the universe, and finally, your absolute terror of death and darkness. You're like a little child afraid to go into any place dark and unknown without holding the hand of your big sky daddy, its one of the most pathetic mindsets I have ever seen.

Your God thing is not real, but if it makes you comfortable and less afraid of the dark then perhaps you should continue with your pathetic delusion.

Since: Sep 08

Alamosa, CO

#180796 Oct 20, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>I refuse to have conversation with scientifically illiterate people, sorry!!!
You wouldn't know science if it slapped you in the face. It is all magic to you. Words you read, just like fairy tales. You have no real grasp of how things truly work beyond your blowing your horn.

Little Boy Blue. Fast asleep and dreaming under his haystack.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#180797 Oct 20, 2013
atheists are miserable wrote:
<quoted text>
This is an excuse to continue with your burden-filled fight against what you really know is true, but yet too cowardly to admit. God does exists.
I value your ignorance. I try to steer completely in a different direction from the immoral life you live.
What is a good enough reason for divorce? Well, according to Rick Warren’s Saddleback church, divorce is only permitted in cases of adultery or abandonment—as these are the only cases permitted in the Bible—and never for abuse.

As teaching pastor Tom Holladay explains, spousal abuse should be dealt with by temporary separation and church marriage counseling designed to bring about reconciliation between the couple. But to qualify for that separation, your spouse must be in the “habit of beating you regularly,” and not be simply someone who “grabbed you once.”

“How many beatings would have to take place in order to qualify as regularly?” asks Jocelyn Andersen, a Christian domestic violence survivor and advocate, author of the 2007 book Woman Submit! Christians and Domestic Violence, an indictment of church teachings of wifely submission and male headship. As she sees it, by convincing women that leaving their relationships is not an option, these teachings have laid the ground for a domestic violence epidemic within the church.

Google the rest of this article, it will show you just how immoral your Christian religion really is. If you need more evidence concerning the immoralities found in your holy book I'll be glad to share them with you. You obviously don't read your holy book or you would be aware of them.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#180798 Oct 20, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You wouldn't know science if it slapped you in the face. It is all magic to you. Words you read, just like fairy tales. You have no real grasp of how things truly work beyond your blowing your horn.
Little Boy Blue. Fast asleep and dreaming under his haystack.
I also refuse to have conversations with the willfully ignorant, sorry!!!

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#180799 Oct 20, 2013
The Worlds Biggest Lie wrote:
<quoted text>
Communism and Judaism. The similarities and how you sold your soul for them. You're a traitor.
http://nationalconscience.wordpress.com/2013/...
I'm neither a communist nor a Jew.

So you are full of shyt, as per the usual True Believer™.

(psst: I have no soul to sell. Neither do you.)

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#180800 Oct 20, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
God made man in his image. So we are like him in many ways.
Full of hate?

Delights at endless torment of those weaker than you?

Demands constant ego-stroking, with endless praise?

Gets super-jealous if other gods are even looked at?

Gets angry at the least little thing-- and murders on a whim because of it?

Delights at drowning innocent babies? Enjoys sending his minions to murder innocent babies in their beds?

Punishes the descendents for the "crimes" of their parents? Their grandparents? Their great....great grandparents?

Yeah: your god **is** the very image of Genuine Christians™.

Hateful.
Bigoted.
Intolerant.

And utterly WITHOUT EMPATHY OF ANY SORT.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#180801 Oct 20, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Freedom is about having a choice. And when you don't have a choice you are no longer free.
You ignored my post.

Is it "freedom" to choose to fight a man who's gun is literally pointed at your head?

Your choice-- capitulate or DIE (and he wins anyway).

How, exactly, is that "freedom"?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min OzRitz 1,418,752
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 3 hr zef 311,621
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 5 hr BFL 32,329
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 12 hr Earthling-1 10,065
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Aug 19 JustStop 201,888
mark moel loan house is here for you to uptain ... (Sep '13) Aug 14 Alex 17
legitimate loan lender (Oct '13) Aug 11 Ceren 9
More from around the web