Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258476 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#180737 Oct 19, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>I would think you would want to be on the side of history that saved millions of our young men and women. The entire population of our core 17-25 year olds was at stake had we continued the war and attempted to invade the Japanese homeland.
I only responded to you about the President being a Christian because you said I was wrong about a Christian being responsible for dropping the bomb.
A God that can be cruel, indifferent, and can HATE, is not a God worthy of worship. Notice how all of these traits are human traits. Do you really think a God should possess the same failings as humans? In humans, these are extremely undesirable traits, and societies scorns people with these traits. Doesn't it almost seem as thought God was designed by humans possessing all the faults and failing of humans, and designed specifically by men. The misogyny contained in the bible kind of supports that idea with the word of God actually written by frustrated sexists old men.
God made man in his image. So we are like him in many ways.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#180738 Oct 19, 2013
I_see_you wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not against any religion. I'm against religions that want to force themselves into the public's lives. I am part of society and I would like to be able to be free of religious propoganda (my choice of words). I have no problem with you speaking to me about it...sharing about it in conversations... however when it starts to become a staple in laws, government, politics... that's when it becomes a problem for me. Religion is a personal choice not a societal one.
Freedom is about having a choice. And when you don't have a choice you are no longer free.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#180739 Oct 19, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
God is not something you prove but something you experience.
The Bible has been tested over time. It remains the number one seller of all time throughout the ages. It contains 66 books, of history, warfare & military tactics still taught today in war colleges, poetry, advice, procedures that are used in the medical field, procedures used in industry, love stories, lust, spying, crimes, punishment, conspiracies, murder, conflict resolutions, employer & employee relations, fire science (first back draft recorded), marital advice, prophecy, and much much more.
And you want someone to prove it to you?
Kind of like a hallucination, can't be proven that you had one but it seemed very real to you. A Codeine high will do the same, you'd swear the hallucinations were real. Of course people experience all sorts of things like hallucinations and delusional experiences, it doesn't make them part of reality, it only makes then real to you.

“LOL Really?”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#180740 Oct 19, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
It seems your god is like men in too many ways.

Catcher1

Since: Sep 10

United States

#180741 Oct 19, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Does your god have a penis?

Since: Sep 08

Alamosa, CO

#180742 Oct 19, 2013
http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/18/world/how-the-g...

"The great white can also detect the electrical contractions of muscles in nearby animals, allowing them to sense the presence of prey from a few meters away, even in cloudy water where visibility is low."

Fishies a few meters away. Pretty sensitive, huh?

The force is there. Every animated body has a presence beyond itself. Those electrical contractions are passed as magnetic waves.

How much do you think a warmblooded human puts out?

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#180743 Oct 19, 2013
River Tam wrote:
You're as mad as a hatter, aren't you?
Have you met Alice?
THE Alice?

We've been introduced, just not to each other. You could say we have mutual acquaintances though. We both know secrets. Unfortunately I don't remember mine. I suppose that's for the best. I was never good at keeping secrets.

You don't know any of my secrets, do you? Someone should, just not me.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#180744 Oct 19, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Churches are more inclusive than country clubs. Cheaper, too. They even let poor people in.
More representative of the community.
No wonder you don't like them. They let the riffraff in. Just not the social scene you groove in. The riffraff are to be led by you and your fellows.
Damn that Jesus giving the less worthy ideas they are YOUR equals.
Buckethead isn't that way. But then, he has real talent and not social connections.
Sorry, no conversations with moonbats!!!!

Alamosa, CO

#180745 Oct 19, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I can swear there ain't no heaven and I pray there ain't no hell.
Blood Sweat and Tears.
And when I die....
You will find out.

Hey, Catcher, if mankind did away with God, who would they have to rebel against?

The world of man with no God, everyone in step and thinking the same thing. No passions. No excitement.

Your church sounds like a place to snooze in waiting for the sermon to end. Only problem is it would take a lifetime to experience something. Like leaving it.

Getting drunk and stripper poles get old fairly quick.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#180746 Oct 19, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Scenario: you are in your favorite quick-shop for a cold one.
And a thief barges into the store, demanding everyone's money--
-- he has an Uzi machine gun, and demonstrates how well he can control it, with a very short burst to the cameras.
Now-- you have a **choice**:
You can either capitulate to his demands, or DIE (and he gets your money anyway).
ARE YOU STILL FREE?
Is that **really** a choice?
When a lawless predator makes a demand with a gun. That is force and potentially deadly force.

You have watched too many Dirty Harry movies.

Harry Callahan:“I know what you're thinking.'Did he fire six shots or only five'? Well to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, i kind of lost track myself. But being that this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question:'Do I feel lucky?' Well do ya, punk?”
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#180747 Oct 19, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Does your god have a penis?
Why don’t you ask him?

Your the one that wants to know.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

The Borderland of Sol

#180748 Oct 19, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Like the guy who broke into a house, and was confronted and asked, "What are you doing here?"
He answered, "Hey, everybody has to be somewhere."
Hehehe. Yes, like that.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

The Borderland of Sol

#180749 Oct 19, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Like the guy who broke into a house, and was confronted and asked, "What are you doing here?"
He answered, "Hey, everybody has to be somewhere."
Heard the one about the guy got caught breaking in to Amish home?
Homeowner caught him, at shotgun-point.
The intruder says: "You're Amish! You can't shoot me!"

Homeowner: "This is true, friend. However, thou art standing where I intend to shoot."
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#180750 Oct 19, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
Inspiration comes from the soul, you could feel the yearning. Atheist can not do that. I would not expect much from them. As I previously stated, if atheism is part of human evolution, nature wants us gone.
I just love it when you speak in ignorance. Take great pleasure in watching you fluff up and spout bullshit about things for which you have no clue. Am overjoyed at watching you wave the flag of ignorance for all to see. You couldn't make me happier.

"Inspiration comes from the soul." "Atheists can do that"

I was going to paste the names of all the atheist composers, but I really don't need to do that, the list is extensive. One of the prime prerequisites for being a composer is inspiration, no soul needed. Like his music or not Billy Joel, an atheists was inspired to write many wonderful songs. Yip Harburg somehow found the inspiration to write the wonderful lyrics to Over The Rainbow, without a soul as he to was an Atheists. There can be no greater inspirational music than that composed by Dmitri Shostakovich and Maurice Ravel, both Atheists and soulless. You're an uneducated idiot who doesn't even realize when he speaks in ignorance.
Imhotep

Charlotte, NC

#180751 Oct 19, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Religion is nothing more than organized superstition!
A+!
Was een perfecte vertaling mijn vriend!
Nederlands is moeilijk :(
Ik vlieg morgen

And some Spanish!
Debería estar de vuelta en el 2014
Citando al Dr. Spock, "Que larga vida y prosperidad" ;)

Thanks for posting the Egypt/Moses link.
Another one lost and forgotten!

We toured Egypt 4 years ago. Utterly fascinating.
Interesting observation: Christian tourists that ask the guides about Moses are politely told Moses did not exist in any Egyptian dynasty.

They are NOT pleased. Some even wear crucifix jewelry and carry bibles! Too funny!
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#180752 Oct 19, 2013
I_see_you wrote:
<quoted text>
I cannot deny something that is not evident. All of nature is not my evidence of a god. Evolution is evidence of different species surviving. If you are not fully aware of what evolution is then I would be more than happy to share the information with you.
I know myself. I recognize things that are evident and factual. I do not recognize faith based gods. As an adult I understand more about the world around me, and I understand what faith is. I have faith in my family because they have shown themselves to always be there for me. I have faith in my husband because he has shown himself to always be there for me. I have faith in many things that I know exist because I have sensed (seen, smelled, tasted, touched,) them. However as an adult I cannot honestly have faith in something that is not available for any of those senses, nor does it feel it necessary to make itself known. I did not ask for your help in anything.
Rather than use the word "faith" I prefer the word "trust" I to trust my family and they have learned to trust me. To me faith is a religiously inspired word, faith is what Theists use with each other when talking about things that have no evidence. To me faith equals gullibility, faith is NOT a pathway to truth. I trust science, I don't use the word faith for anything in my life
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#180753 Oct 19, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for further confirming what an incredibly stupid God you worship. That he would pass on these extremely undesirable traits speaks to his idiocy. Your God is flawed for possessing these trait in the first place, and flawed once again for NOT realizing these traits as undesirable, and flawed a third time for passing them on to what are supposed to be his most prized creations. He's an omnipotent being he can chose whatever he wants, yet he purposely choses to be cruel, indifferent, and hateful, and somehow thinks it a good idea to infuse his creation with the same. Do you have even the slightest idea how completely insane this is?
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#180754 Oct 19, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Kind of like a hallucination, can't be proven that you had one but it seemed very real to you. A Codeine high will do the same, you'd swear the hallucinations were real. Of course people experience all sorts of things like hallucinations and delusional experiences, it doesn't make them part of reality, it only makes then real to you.
The “experience” of having a hallucination can be real.

The same goes for the “experience” of having a heart attack. Or the experience of having a stroke.

But the hallucination itself is an illusion.

Back to what I had said previously. No one proves God to someone else. You “experience” God as a individual. And that takes an objective mind and a willingness to try.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#180755 Oct 19, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Rather than use the word "faith" I prefer the word "trust" I to trust my family and they have learned to trust me. To me faith is a religiously inspired word, faith is what Theists use with each other when talking about things that have no evidence. To me faith equals gullibility, faith is NOT a pathway to truth. I trust science, I don't use the word faith for anything in my life
Do you have faith your car will start in the morning?

Do you have faith that the Zakim Bridge in Boston won’t collapse while you are driving across?

You may not want to use the word “faith” but you do have faith in everyday life. And the word itself doesn’t have to be associated with religion.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#180756 Oct 19, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Thanks for further confirming what an incredibly stupid God you worship. That he would pass on these extremely undesirable traits speaks to his idiocy. Your God is flawed for possessing these trait in the first place, and flawed once again for NOT realizing these traits as undesirable, and flawed a third time for passing them on to what are supposed to be his most prized creations. He's an omnipotent being he can chose whatever he wants, yet he purposely choses to be cruel, indifferent, and hateful, and somehow thinks it a good idea to infuse his creation with the same. Do you have even the slightest idea how completely insane this is?
Do you realize if you live to be 85 years old. Your heart will have pumped over 50 million gallons of blood.

No that’s based on you not plugging it up by smoking and having a high cholesterol diet. I would say that’s pretty incredible and seriously doubt you could even build a mechanical pump that could do that well over 85 years.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 51 min John-K 314,711
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 hr VetnorsGate 1,548,884
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 3 hr TooPharts 33,190
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) Jun 13 Patriot 11,181
News Tragedy strikes family members of Leasure (Jul '08) Jun 9 Evidence phart 9
Penn State University & State College May '17 Truechange 1
I got my loan from [email protected] (Jun '13) Apr '17 GLOBAL FUNDING SO... 43
More from around the web