Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 247771 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Imhotep

Sevierville, TN

#180629 Oct 19, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Indeed.
Yet-- I have failed to see even **one**(1) example of a Genuine Jesus Follower™ turn the other cheek...
... in fact?
It's quite the opposite...!
Me either, you take the time to address point by point. I applaud that and always find you're posts interesting.

I've written many pieces over the years and just c/p them as warranted by the content of the post.

When they get insulting... my evil twin emerges, to taunt them, the madder they get, the harder I laugh. Do I stop annoying them? NEVER!

I am Ultra-Liberal, Skeptical, Cynical, Sarcastic, and do care what one mammal on this planet thinks about it.

Am I evil?
nah... some doofus god created that!
Imhotep

Sevierville, TN

#180630 Oct 19, 2013
chipped nails wrote:
<quoted text>
It took a proctologist with a nutcracker to find your brain.
Bob found your're brain X-ray on the internet, wonderful post!!
How proud you must be not to use a proctologist.

http://www.thebluething.com/media/Homer-Simps...

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#180632 Oct 19, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
" ... there is no evidence to clearly support the existence of Joseph, or Moses, or the Israeli Exodus"
http://www.touregypt.net/featurestories/moses...
Eagle 12 wrote:
No Evidence??? Or No Evidence you want to admit.

Leading Egyptian Daily 'Al-Ahram' Reports: Coins from Era of Biblical Joseph Found in Egypt. According to a report in the Egyptian daily Al-Ahram, by Wajih Al-Saqqar, archeologists have discovered ancient Egyptian coins bearing the name and image of the Biblical Joseph.
"In an unprecedented find, a group of Egyptian researchers and archeologists has discovered a cache of coins from the time of the Pharaohs. Its importance lies in the fact that it provides decisive scientific evidence disproving the claim by some historians that the ancient Egyptians were unfamiliar with coins and conducted their trade through barter. "The researchers discovered the coins when they sifted through thousands of small archeological artifacts stored in [the vaults of] the Museum of Egypt.[Initially] they took them for charms, but a thorough examination revealed that the coins bore the year in which they were minted and their value, or effigies of the pharaohs [who ruled] at the time of their minting. Some of the coins are from the time when Joseph lived in Egypt, and bear his name and portrait. "There used to be a misconception that trade [in Ancient Egypt] was conducted through barter, and that Egyptian wheat, for example, was traded for other goods. But surprisingly, Koranic verses indicate clearly that coins were used in Egypt in the time of Joseph. "Research team head Dr. Sa'id Muhammad Thabet said that during his archeological research on the Prophet Joseph, he had discovered in the vaults of the [Egyptian] Antiquities Authority and of the National Museum many charms from various eras before and after the period of Joseph, including one that bore his effigy as the minister of the treasury in the Egyptian pharaoh's court… "One Coin...[Had] an Image of a Cow Symbolizing Pharaoh's Dream about the Seven Fat Cows and Seven Lean Cows"
"The researcher identified coins from many different periods, including coins that bore special markings identifying them as being from the era of Joseph. Among these, there was one coin that had an inscription on it, and an image of a cow symbolizing Pharaoh's dream about the seven fat cows and seven lean cows, and the seven green stalks of grain and seven dry stalks of grain. It was found that the inscriptions of this early period were usually simple, since writing was still in its early stages, and consequently there was difficulty in deciphering the writing on these coins. But the research team [managed to] translate [the writing on the coin] by comparing it to the earliest known hieroglyphic texts… "Joseph's name appears twice on this coin, written in hieroglyphs: once the original name, Joseph, and once his Egyptian name, Saba Sabani, which was given to him by Pharaoh when he became treasurer. There is also an image of Joseph, who was part of the Egyptian administration at the time.
http://www.memri.org/report/en/print3663.htm
This presents an excellent opportunity to consider the concept of evidence - if you're interested and willing.

[1] What do you think your post provides evidence of? To be a rebuttal of Imhotep's post, it should be evidence of the existence of Joseph, Moses or the Exodus. Do you think that the above is that? I would say that it is not. I would say that it is evidence that the ancient Egyptians used coins, and that one of the legends that survives today goes back to the time that Jospeh was said to have lived.

[cont.]

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#180633 Oct 19, 2013
[2] You've probably heard the expression "Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence." Do you agree? I don't, although I would add a word: "Absence of EXPECTED evidence is not evidence of absence." That is, if we would expect certain evidence to be present had something that is claimed actually occurred, and it is not, that that is evidence that the claim is invalid.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#180634 Oct 19, 2013
God is not something you prove but something you experience.

The Bible has been tested over time. It remains the number one seller of all time throughout the ages. It contains 66 books, of history, warfare & military tactics still taught today in war colleges, poetry, advice, procedures that are used in the medical field, procedures used in industry, love stories, lust, spying, crimes, punishment, conspiracies, murder, conflict resolutions, employer & employee relations, fire science (first back draft recorded), marital advice, prophecy, and much much more.

And you want someone to prove it to you?
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#180635 Oct 19, 2013
I_see_you wrote:
<quoted text>
It's good to hear you had such a good day.:)
Thank you [Tipping Hat]

“Input”

Since: Dec 10

Input

#180636 Oct 19, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
I do have solid proof of God
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Not only is this complete bullsh*t, but you know it too and know that you are lying about this - completely shamelessly, with not a shred of evidence.
Solid proof , as compared to liquid proof.
But does he have any gaseous proof?
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#180637 Oct 19, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
I go to church regularly, Eagle. My girlfriend is a Christian. They don't know we're gay. She's afraid to let them know so we don't hold hands or anything.
I find that odd but I don't say anything. Such a wonderful place and yet she's afraid of them. Afraid that those wonderful people will find out that she and I get naked together and have girl sex.
I keep telling her that they're going to find out sooner or later. I'm not shy about being lesbian, ya know? I'm not afraid of those people or their 3 gods.
It's not a bad experience for me. I get to be with her and everybody looks and smells good. I like the songs.
That’s something I didn’t know, that you attended church.

There’s nothing wrong with having friends you love. But I want to ask you a question. Do you see yourself being a lesbian for the rest of your life? Even as you are in your elderly years?

I don’t judge you for that’s not my place. People change over time and relationships come and go. But what will be your future 20, 30 or even 40 years from now? Will you be happy or will you look back and have heartfelt regrets?
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#180638 Oct 19, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Nagasaki and Hiroshima were the two most "Christian" cities in Japan, especially Nagasaki.
I didn't know that, thank you.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#180639 Oct 19, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
All Geman cities were filled with Christians!
The allied air forces leveled them! Including Dresden, Where the greatest loss if life occurred.
WAR has NO RULES.
Kill or be killed. Winner take all.
Hamburg suffered the first known firestorm early in the war courtesy of the British.
So save your pity for the Japanese.
They reaped their own harvest just like the Germans. They had ZERO pity or compassion for prisoners.
And right here at home during the Civil War Gen. Sherman decided that he would burn everything in his path as he cut a path of destruction through Georgia. Livestock were either eaten or destroyed crops were either eaten or burned houses were burned and he quoted to phrase "war is hell".
The southern prisoner of war camp at Andersonville was a true horror worthy of the Nazis.
Although I am reluctant to use this quote...
"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone".
NO WAR HAS EVER BEEN STARTED OVER AN ATHEIST IDEOLOGY.
We cannot say the same for religious wars.
"NO WAR HAS EVER BEEN STARTED OVER AN ATHEIST IDEOLOGY."

Marx, Lenin, Mao Zedong, Pol Pot
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#180640 Oct 19, 2013
<quoted text>
On the world stage? People are quitting the churches in record numbers.
In Germany, for example, so many churches are now empty, that they are being sold off-- they cannot afford the upkeep. And these are properties that had been church for 300 years and more.
Here in the USA? Pick any random city-- and within it, you will find countless abandoned properties belonging to former churches. There are 5 within easy distance of my house, for example. Oh, sure, there is still 3 that are barely clinging to life, but more abandoned buildings than ones still in use.(and I know the 3 are barely hanging on: due to the near-total lack of paint on their exposed wooden surfaces...)
So yes-- people are leaving church in droves.
You are too self-blind to recognize this fact.
I’m not in Europe so I don’t know about what is happening there. I can’t blame some Europeans for hating dead dried up boring churches with boring and uncaring ministers.

Where I live now there’s a church on nearly every corner and everyone is filled to capacity. The same was for Houston when I lived there. Churches were thriving.

Thank you for telling me about Oklahoma.
We’re going to have to pray for your city. Texans have always had a kinship to Oklahoma. We have considered it part of our rich history. There’s not a Texan anywhere who doesn’t love Oklahoma.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#180641 Oct 19, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Freedom is great, yes.
Too bad you lack it.
I understand what you are saying. I'm like Paul in that I'm a prisoner of the Lord Jesus Christ. But our Jail Houst rocks! lol,...
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#180642 Oct 19, 2013
<quoted text>
Lie.
It's a lie that is easily refuted, too.
For example: the Harry Potter series? Easily outsold all the bibles in all the languages, in all the versions, for many years in a row.
And the #1 DIFFERENCE?
People bought the Harry Potter books.... to READ.
In contrast to the bibles, of which 90% were purchased to put into pews unread, or to be given away (again--unread) or to lie gathering dust on someone's shelf (unread).
The ***majority*** of bibles printed? WERE NEVER-EVER EVEN READ BY ANYONE.
I know it hurts Bob, the truth does that.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#180643 Oct 19, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
In recent weeks, a spate of especially appalling jihadist attacks occurred—one on a shopping mall in Nairobi, where non-Muslims appear to have been systematically tortured before being murdered; one on a church in Peshawar; and one on a school playground in Baghdad, targeting children.
Whenever I point out the role that religious ideology plays in atrocities of this kind—specifically the Islamic doctrines related to jihad, martyrdom, apostasy, and so forth—I am met with some version of the following:“Bad people will always do these things. Religion is nothing more than a pretext.” This is an increasingly dangerous misconception to have about the human mind.
My pick for the most terrifying and depressing phenomenon on earth: A smart, capable, compassionate, and honorable person grows infected with ludicrous ideas about a holy book and a waiting paradise, and then becomes capable of murdering innocent people—even children—while in a state of religious ecstasy.
Needless to say, this problem is rendered all the more terrifying and depressing because so many of us deny that it even exists.
To imagine that one is a holy warrior bound for Paradise might seem delusional, but we live in a world where perfectly sane people are led to believe such floridly crazy things in the name of religion.
This is primarily a social and cultural issue, not a psychological one. There is no clear line between what members of the Taliban, al Qaeda, and al Shabab believe about Islam and the “true” Islam.
In fact, these groups have as good a claim as any to being impeccable Muslims. This presents an enormous threat to civil society, which apologists for Islam and secular liberals can now be counted upon to obfuscate.
Their determination that “moderate” Islam not be blamed for the acts of “extremists” causes them to deny that genuine (and theologically justifiable) religious beliefs can inspire psychologically normal people to commit horrific acts of violence.
Take a moment to consider the actions of the Taliban gunman who shot Malala Yousafzai in the head. How is it that this man came to board a school bus with the intention of murdering a 15-year-old girl? Absent ideology, this could have only been the work of a psychotic or a psychopath.
No doubt the assassin who tried to kill her believed that he was doing God’s work. He was probably a perfectly normal man—perhaps even a father himself—and that is what is so disturbing.
The fact that otherwise normal people can be infected by destructive religious beliefs is crucial to understand—because beliefs spread. Until moderate Muslims and secular liberals stop misplacing the blame for this evil, they will remain part of the problem. Yes, our drone strikes in Pakistan kill innocent people—and this undoubtedly creates new enemies for the West. But we wouldn’t need to drop a single bomb on Pakistan, or anywhere else, if a death cult of devout Muslims weren’t making life miserable for millions of innocent people and posing an unacceptable threat of violence to open societies.
Malala did not win a Nobel prize this week, and it is probably good for her that she didn’t. She absolutely deserved it—far more than several recent recipients have—but this recognition would have made her security concerns even more excruciating than they probably are already. Her nomination is said to have noticeably increased anti-Western sentiment in Pakistan—a fact that deserves some honest reflection on the part of Islam’s apologists. If for nothing else, we can be grateful to the Taliban for reminding us of what so many civilized people seem eager to forget: This is both a war of ideas and a very bloody war—and we must win it.
- See more at: http://www.samharris.org/blog/item/no-ordinar...
It’s those 900 virgins that make them do that.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#180644 Oct 19, 2013
<quoted text>
Not, if I've been there, it don't... I always take those ugly books for re-use as other stuff.
Common uses for a Gideon bible
(Warning! Do not read it-- it will make an atheists out of you)
## propping up a crooked table leg-- an adjustable prop, simply discard any excess pages until it's the perfect thickness
## propping up Junior at a table, so he can reach his plate-- it's also absorbent, in case of any accidental "spills". Use two or three if needed (duct tape them together so they don't slip)
## as a handy step-up to get to things on the high shelves-- use two if needed, interlace the covers to help keep them from slipping
## as emergency toilet paper-- I recommend keeping a couple of gideons in the bathroom, on the top of the tank, just in case you run out of the regular kind. Hint: if you rip out the pages, then crumple them up, then re-smooth, then repeat? It softens the pages, and makes them more absorbent too.
## as rolling papers for your friends who like to make their own tokes
## as emergency note-paper-- you can typically write in the margins-- useful for those last minute list-making, or emergency license plate write-downs (especially after you've just been hit-and-run by a car sporting those warning-fish symbols-- those are the worst)
## as an excellent source of craft paper for your paper machiae projects. The super-thin paper really conforms to your project's needs, especially when saturated with glue.
## those pages really make for the most excellent paper airplanes-- super light, but take folding quite well.
## Isn't it time you took up Origami? The super-thin rice paper in those gideons is perfect for those intricate paper-folding projects
## emergency liquid absorbers-- see the one about emergency toilet paper for tips on how to make those gideons even more absorbent
## shims-- when installing new windows or doors, who remembers to buy those thin wooden shims, to center the window/door in the frame? Use pages from an old gideon instead--it's perfectly customizable for the exact thickness needed. And the holding nails go right through without a problem.(irony noted)
## Roof patches-- bothered by sudden punctures in your roof? But it's raining, and you cannot safely patch the hole? Tear out several pages from a gideon, and roll it into a sharp cone-- force that into the hole, to temporarily stop the rain.
## emergency diapers for Junior-- out and about, and you run out of diapers for Junior? And you need a quick substitute? Simply tear out pages from that old gideon, and use that to wrap Junior's neither parts, use his regular (outer) pants to hold it all on, until you get home. Be generous-- there are plenty more gideons where that came from.
------
These are just a few suggestions for re-purposing those old bibles.
Just don't READ it-- reading it'll make an **atheist** out of you!
Bob let's sit down and have some hot coffee.

“Input”

Since: Dec 10

Input

#180645 Oct 19, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Nagasaki and Hiroshima were the two most "Christian" cities in Japan, especially Nagasaki.
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>

I didn't know that, thank you.
Did that old fool say "christian"?

He meant Crispy.
Imhotep

United States

#180646 Oct 19, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
I would say yours is sadly lacking in depth.
Yours consists of the topical buzzwords for the advancement of an idiotology.
You don't seem to understand real people.
Real people? Like Jesus?
Rubbish!

I have no need to lie. You must.
You live in your own private dreamworld.
If that makes you happy I'm glad for you but don't waste my time spouting your nonsense.
Save that for your church congregation, where ignorance is the norm and reason is ignored.

There you will find a willing attentive audience.

Here you're only friends are as delusional as you.
Some even surpass your level of religious dementia.

Anyway, your posts remind me of the ravings of lunatic asylum patients.

Green vapor? LOL

Did the aliens talk to you during the experiments?it's obvious they forgot to remove the anal probe!

"Once upon a time in a land far far away "
Please insert this on top of all future post to me.

Jesus love you... but I think you're thought processes are severely damaged by his love.

Next time you meet with him ask how my buddy Allah is doing. He could offer different color vapors that will be in season this fall!
Imhotep

United States

#180647 Oct 19, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
It’s those 900 virgins that make them do that.
Being a virgin in heaven would NOT be paradise for virgins!

Picture this - you live a perfect life your chaste, you die - you go to heaven a Muslim virgin woman only to be repeatedly raped over and over by martyrs awaiting their 72 biggies each!

Now all that's what I call a great faith!
I doubt Muslim women share the same enthusiasm.

Isn't religion great?

If this religious nonsense were true...
(A postcard to me, delivered by an angel from paradise would suffice as evidence)

I would convert to a Muslim, fly a jet into a mega televangelist church, destroy the infidels inside and gain my 72 virgins in paradise!

I would even go to a Christian orphanage and offer them a free 747 airplane ride!

Who knows when dabbling in superstition anything is possible. Those extra kiddies my gain me another 25 virgins!

Or do I sign up?

Lol

“There is no god!”

Since: Jun 12

Södertälje, Sweden

#180648 Oct 19, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
"NO WAR HAS EVER BEEN STARTED OVER AN ATHEIST IDEOLOGY."
Marx, Lenin, Mao Zedong, Pol Pot
Error try again atheism isn't an ideology

“Robert Stevens”

Since: Dec 08

Jersey City , NJ

#180649 Oct 19, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
As usual, defeated creationists have a lot of ignorant opinions to share, but NO proof of god.
When will these bitter losers realise that opinions never convert anyone but FACTs do?
And the fact is that you're liars with no proof of god. It always comes back to this undeniable fact.
If there was no proof of God, you would not talk about him, her or it?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min Chicagoan by Birth 1,278,481
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 2 hr IB DaMann 6,969
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 5 hr stewart scott 29,960
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) Wed cpeter1313 310,234
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Sep 1 Pastor Pete 201,864
Conn's Appliances (Nov '07) Aug 20 Jcrombie67 282
Hoophall Invitational - Miami Aug 17 Hoophall 1
More from around the web