Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258478 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Robert Stevens”

Since: Dec 08

Jersey City , NJ

#180444 Oct 18, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
No, it doesn't. Atheism is not a moral theory. It's the absense of a god belief.
I do think that there should be three different vocabulary words, one for someone that does not belief in God, and one for someone that is anti-religion, and one for those that appose beliefs period.

IMO, the lack of moral structure is the secondary reason I would not want to see any in office. The main reason being, we do not need people that are against religion, in America.

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#180445 Oct 18, 2013
<quoted text>
Why do you respect a god that you don't believe exists? How do you respect something that you don't believe exists?
You seem to respect belief in something - in anything - more than belief in something real.
=======
What is your objection to posting such as this that you called it "cross[ing] the line of challenging religions to just being against them"? Weren't those reasonable questions? Wasn't that a reasonable observation?
The Christian God does exist, the prove you ask for is, you talk about it so much. For there to be no will-o-the-wisp it would have to be unnoticed.

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#180446 Oct 18, 2013
<quoted text>
But we're not discussing your god. We're discussing the character of the Christian god as depicted in the bible and by the church. That god is jealous according to the Christians' own scriptures:
"You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me" - Exodus 20:5
Do you respect that character and those ethics? I don't. Are you aware that billions of people use the book that that comes from as a moral guide? The god may not be real, but the message attributed to it most definitely is. Is that not worth discussing?
I am glad you just posted this. The topic is "Atheism requires as much faith as religion?" Why is the God I believe in or worship, or The Christian God coming up. The answer is. You can't stay on topic, and if you could you could, it would just be your denying the answer is clearly. Yes. You cannot prove that there was no creator of The universe, nor could you prove mankind was not created. One could not prove the creator of the Universe created mankind. The harsh reality is we don't know enough to call anything, anything else besides a leap of faith. Now please stop showing your bad comprehension skills. You can not prove how The Universe started. No one has.

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#180447 Oct 18, 2013
<quoted text>
Why is it rude to challenge faith? Is it rude to challenge skepticism, it's opposite?
Likewise, you commented earlier that I "cross the line of challenging religions to just being against them." You seem to be for religions. Have you crossed the line of defending religions to just being for them? Why is my being opposed to Christianity any less valid a position than you being for it? It seems to be nothing more than an arbitrary and unjustified declaration of self-goodness and other-badness.
We find a lot of this double standard. A Christian says Merry Christmas and considers it an act of good cheer. A non-Christian says Happy Holidays and is accused of waging a war on Christmas. That opinion assumes self-goodness and other-badness.
I was responding to someone that was taking sides. It is unfortunate, but you can't discuss religion without being condescending. Make no mistake about it, I view you as sub human for having your beliefs. A Christian is just slightly misguided. I am glad this is a Christian based society. I would never want to life in an Atheist based society, and yes I would take ANY GROUP over you.

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#180448 Oct 18, 2013
<quoted text>
Why is it rude to challenge faith? Is it rude to challenge skepticism, it's opposite?
Likewise, you commented earlier that I "cross the line of challenging religions to just being against them." You seem to be for religions. Have you crossed the line of defending religions to just being for them? Why is my being opposed to Christianity any less valid a position than you being for it? It seems to be nothing more than an arbitrary and unjustified declaration of self-goodness and other-badness.
We find a lot of this double standard. A Christian says Merry Christmas and considers it an act of good cheer. A non-Christian says Happy Holidays and is accused of waging a war on Christmas. That opinion assumes self-goodness and other-badness.
But still yes, it is overall rude to question a person's faith after they have admitted it as faith. I accept you as having your faith and knowing yourself. As much as I think your fate sucks. I would not try to talk you into changing your road. But I would point out it is asinine to request others to go down that road.

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#180449 Oct 18, 2013
<quoted text>
How do you know about your god? How do you know that your god had any choice in the matter?
How do you know that your god is even aware of us? How do you know how it feels about us?
How do you know that your god isn't a race of gods?
Are those valid questions, or hatred of your religion?
Incidentally, if the Christian god and hell exist, then granting us free will was a horrible curse. It will have resulted in billions of souls needlessly going to hell to be tortured forever. Wouldn't creating us to love him the way we are created to love ourselves have been a greater gift?
Was that not also a good and valid question, or was that blind hatred of religion and the Christian god?
You don't get it. The soul has the option to take human form. I guess if you are soulless you have no free will. I see why you don't get it.

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#180450 Oct 18, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Can why your cult creates such ignorant and judgemental people? Why does it introduce this evil into the world?
I mean you can't prove your god, you're frustrated at science for showing up your cult every day of the week with hard evidence.
What kind of life is this?
I view atheism as more of an evil cult than Christianity. I appreciate science.
Thinking

Royston, UK

#180451 Oct 18, 2013
Morality predates religion.
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
I do think that there should be three different vocabulary words, one for someone that does not belief in God, and one for someone that is anti-religion, and one for those that appose beliefs period.
IMO, the lack of moral structure is the secondary reason I would not want to see any in office. The main reason being, we do not need people that are against religion, in America.
Thinking

Royston, UK

#180452 Oct 18, 2013
The logical conclusion of that is you must also believe Darth Vader exists.
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
The Christian God does exist, the prove you ask for is, you talk about it so much. For there to be no will-o-the-wisp it would have to be unnoticed.

Since: Sep 08

Lamar, CO

#180453 Oct 18, 2013
Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>
Bullshit.

There is nothing but a belief in a higher force, ie religion, to even start "morality". Without such you would never get past the "I want" and purely selfish stage.

Your sense of morality, where you even think you can judge your Creator, is directly and only derivative from those religions.

"Thinking". I love it. You think a name gives you powers beyond your means. Change it to "Limited Thinking". Truth in advertising.

“Sweden more democratic thanUSA”

Since: Jun 12

Södertälje, Sweden

#180454 Oct 18, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Silly girl. The way you are dancing around to avoid responsibility for what you have posted is entertaining.
Lovey, dear, how many times have you posted the 10^34 second AFTER as justification for your non-belief belief?
Everything you see and know now was "created" by some process originating from that first cause. From rocks to yourself. Everything in our universe was "begat". You weren't aware of anything until you were begat and things formed where you could do such. There was some assembly required after that magical poof. On the mental level it SHOULD still be in such a process.
Based upon science and pure logic it is not much of a stretch to believe this universe was "begat" itself. Anything else is suoerstition and living in la la land.
Buckle down and do some serious thinking, sweetie. Override that emotional thinking.
You don't have to subscribe to a school of thought established by other men, whether it be labeled "religious" or "scientific". They are the same. Artificial creations of ours.
you are a such a loser for voting down atheists and voting yourself up
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#180455 Oct 18, 2013
chipped nails wrote:
<quoted text>
They also kill those who don't disbelieve like they do. Throughout history, the number of people killed by atheists is almost incalculable.
To say this means you have no education in history, or you are simply a bold faced liar. Probably both. You speak as though you are totally uneducated in most everything, and take great pleasure in lying for your demon God. When you find the time to educate yourself, then perhaps you can post without being laughed at, until then you appear to be nothing more than an ignorant teenager. I do believe this site was meant for adults and adult conversations. Go pop some zits and come back when you grow TF up.

Since: Sep 08

Lamar, CO

#180456 Oct 18, 2013
Mikko wrote:
<quoted text>
you are a such a loser for voting down atheists and voting yourself up
Hey, Sport, it is the rather overwhelming majority of mankind voting you down, not just me. You must be confused in thinking there are more than the few dozen posting on here, what they consider a refuge, their place.

I was an atheist longer than you have been alive. But we had class in those days. Not this bunch of mouthy malcontents of today being led by those making money exploiting them.

Loser.

“Sweden more democratic thanUSA”

Since: Jun 12

Södertälje, Sweden

#180457 Oct 18, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey, Sport, it is the rather overwhelming majority of mankind voting you down, not just me. You must be confused in thinking there are more than the few dozen posting on here, what they consider a refuge, their place.
I was an atheist longer than you have been alive. But we had class in those days. Not this bunch of mouthy malcontents of today being led by those making money exploiting them.
Loser.
you are the loser here idiot dave and i do not believe a liar like you!
meandyou

Winter Garden, FL

#180458 Oct 18, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
RUBBISH
My God Can Beat Up Your God (Richard Bamford)
Do you know his name?

• When your god says "Thou shalt not," my god says "You can do anything."
My god is reason.
He does more in a day than your god will ever do.
The ability to reason can be used in order to deny God's exixtence or to seek him.
Richard Bamford used that ability to make reason his God.
His foolish search for wisdom has landed him in the land of fools
In the process he has spouted a number of bombastic statements for which he provides no evidence.
Who endowed him with the ability to reasom?
God did not forbid knowledge , and the Bible , which Atheists claim was devised and written by uneducated Goatherders , is the most popular book ever written.
It has sold more copies , has been translated into more languages and more widely than any other book.
It has been used as an educational tool since it's inception.
The copies of the bible that have been sold would fill thousands of libraries. It's teachings are practiced by billions of people.
It is on the teachings of the bible and belief in God that Wesrern civilization forms it's foundation...magna carta , Declaration of Independence"
Those who believed in God set the foundation for our Health system and medicine.
It is they who founded hospitals and the nursing profession.
It is they who laid the foundation for our educational system.
It is they who feed the poor.
When there is a catastrophe it is the Red Cross , founded by a believer , who rushes to their assistance. It is Feed The Chidren , Catholic Charities , Salvation Army and other faith based organizations who tend to the needs of the lesss fortunate.
It is the the words of the bible that are written in our Federal building "And they shall beat their swords into plowshares and make war no more" not the Atheistic slogan espoused by Mao "All power flows from the barrel of a gun"
It is the " Scales of justice that sre engraved in our Supreme Court , not the lawless belief espoused by Atheist Societies .
It is Jesus who said , All things are possible by faith in God.
Atheism has not made any contributions to Western civilization.
They have however , wreaked havoc in the countries where they have ruled by human reason.
They murdered millions under Mao . They murdered by the millions under Pol Pot , They murderd by the millions under Stalin.
It was Alexander Solshenytsin who laid bare the cruelty of USSR
It was Lech Walessa and the Pope who freed Poland from the tentacles of communism.
What those who believe in God have accomplished by far and away supersedes anything accomplished by Atheists.
The facts are there for all to see.
No , reason is not the true God. God gave man the ability to reason. That some have not learned to use it properly and have instead made it their God is the way of a fool.
Thinking

Royston, UK

#180459 Oct 18, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Bullshit.
There is nothing but a belief in a higher force, ie religion, to even start "morality". Without such you would never get past the "I want" and purely selfish stage.
Your sense of morality, where you even think you can judge your Creator, is directly and only derivative from those religions.
"Thinking". I love it. You think a name gives you powers beyond your means. Change it to "Limited Thinking". Truth in advertising.
Thinking

Royston, UK

#180460 Oct 18, 2013
The vast majority do not share your belief.
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Loser.

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#180461 Oct 18, 2013
Thinking wrote:
The logical conclusion of that is you must also believe Darth Vader exists.
<quoted text>
I would take Vader over Stalin.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#180462 Oct 18, 2013
Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>
And religion has nothing to do with morality.
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#180463 Oct 18, 2013
Thinking wrote:
The vast majority do not share your belief.
<quoted text>
Religion = Superstition
Truth will out.

Jonny Eve puts it simply...
http://www.atheismuk.com/2012/03/31/atheism/y...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 2 min Mabinogi 313,667
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min OBAMA the GENIUS 1,509,296
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) Sun AnyonePhartss 32,818
News Buzzer-beating shot lifts Florida over Wisconsi... Sat BuzzerPhartss 2
News Western Michigan heads to Illinois as a favorite (Sep '16) Mar 16 MakePhartce 105
News North Carolina Governor Who Signed Bathroom Bil... Mar 15 Bath phart 2
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) Mar 14 Into The Night 11,123
More from around the web