Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Read more

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#180320 Oct 17, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Its astonishing to atheists how Creationists like you can stand by a story invented at a time when most of the world was malnourished, illiterate and diseased?
The world kept slaves at the time, women had no rights and nobody understood where lightening came from.
To elevate this body of ignorance to anything more than a cute story is to be will fully ignorant & totally dishonest.
You would never hope to defend this rubbish with someone face to face because they would never be able to keep a straight face while hearing your outrageous religious lies.
Your sensitivities belie your abilities as a “Troll eater extraordinaire”.

Your digestive system just couldn't handle one. Neither can your intellectual prowess.

I think you are a wannabe. Sitting there bleating away, all naked and lovely.

I dunno. I guess salsa would be better than green chile sauce. Has more substance.

Let me check my fridge and I will get back to you. Don't go away, now.

Westcliffe, CO

#180321 Oct 17, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Your failing because you're attempting to criticise science. The same science that guts your witless cult every day of the week.
Science is not wrong, its evidence based. Your mental illness prevents you from accepting science, without really understanding that it underpins our understanding of the entire universe.
You cannot critcise science, you may only present evidence for god.
But you won't because science sh*ts on it.
Shit!! I'm out of salsa.

Come back in a couple of days.

“lie2menomo”

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#180322 Oct 17, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>LOVE is a part of reality. LOVE is a human emotion and can be detected by science just as any other emotion.
Of course LOVE is tangible, you can see how love manifests itself between parents and children, between people, even between people and animals, dogs and cats especially. A parent sacrificing their lives to save their child is a tangible evidence of LOVE.
I repeat, science is the ONLY way in determining whether or not something is true. Do you know of another methodology is making that determination?
Love is a real feeling it is comparable as a speed of lighting. Just as fast. It is also true for the Holly spirit. I am not going to force my beliefs, I am very sure my life changed once I received the Holly Spirit. It was very important to add I got it from reading the word of the Holy Bible. I understand how people are confused, It is why I believe spiritual and religious facts should be taught in school. It allows the facts and truth from history to inform American children of the many religions, and allow them to have facts be believer or not in spiritual power higher than self.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#180323 Oct 17, 2013
movinon09 wrote:
<quoted text>Love is a real feeling it is comparable as a speed of lighting. Just as fast. It is also true for the Holly spirit. I am not going to force my beliefs, I am very sure my life changed once I received the Holly Spirit. It was very important to add I got it from reading the word of the Holy Bible. I understand how people are confused, It is why I believe spiritual and religious facts should be taught in school. It allows the facts and truth from history to inform American children of the many religions, and allow them to have facts be believer or not in spiritual power higher than self.
Which religious...um, "facts"...should be taught in school?

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#180324 Oct 17, 2013
movinon09 wrote:
<quoted text>Love is a real feeling it is comparable as a speed of lighting. Just as fast. It is also true for the Holly spirit. I am not going to force my beliefs, I am very sure my life changed once I received the Holly Spirit. It was very important to add I got it from reading the word of the Holy Bible. I understand how people are confused, It is why I believe spiritual and religious facts should be taught in school. It allows the facts and truth from history to inform American children of the many religions, and allow them to have facts be believer or not in spiritual power higher than self.
The have christian schools for that, and honestly if you study up on the status of a graduate of a Christian school you will find that they are not prepared for college unless it is a christian college. They do not follow historical fact when teaching history by any means...as far as actual history goes. I'm sure that your personal experiences have been great for you, and just remember to keep them personal experiences and not something to be forced into everyone's daily life.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#180325 Oct 17, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>LOVE is a part of reality. LOVE is a human emotion and can be detected by science just as any other emotion.
Of course LOVE is tangible, you can see how love manifests itself between parents and children, between people, even between people and animals, dogs and cats especially. A parent sacrificing their lives to save their child is a tangible evidence of LOVE.
I repeat, science is the ONLY way in determining whether or not something is true. Do you know of another methodology is making that determination?
"Of course LOVE is tangible"

"So is God because the Bible says, 1 John 4:16 - And we have known and believed the love that God hath to us. God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him."
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#180326 Oct 17, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
It's in your book dumbass - you should read it sometime!
You're living proof that Snow White and Dopey had unprotected sex. ;)
Reality check time for dumbass Christians:
IS THE BIBLE INSPIRED?
If it is, it should be a book that no man -- no number of men -- could produce.
It should contain the perfection of philosophy.
It should perfectly accord with every fact in nature.
There should be no mistakes in astronomy, geology, or as to any subject or science.
Its morality should be the highest, the purest.
Its laws and regulations for the control of conduct should be just, wise, perfect, and perfectly adapted to the accomplishment of the ends desired.
It should contain nothing calculated to make man cruel, revengeful, vindictive or infamous.
It should be filled with intelligence, justice, purity, honesty, mercy and the spirit of liberty.
It should be opposed to strife and war, to slavery and lust, to ignorance, credulity and superstition.
It should develop the brain and civilize the heart.
It should satisfy the heart and brain of the best and wisest.
It should be true.
QUESTION...???
Does the Old or NewTestament satisfy this standard?
Is there anything in the Bible in history, in theory, in law, in government, in morality, in science, above and beyond the ideas, the beliefs, the customs and prejudices of its authors and the people among whom they lived?
Is there one ray of light from any supernatural source?
NO!
And yet another canned off the shelf answer from an assembly line Atheist.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#180327 Oct 17, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
I haven't expressed an opinion about murders in Chicago other than that like all other murders in America, most are done by Christians. Do you disagree? Almost everything done in America is mostly done by Christians. They're the majority.
<quoted text>
I don't know which killers do that. Does it matter? Is that part of the definition of a Christian?
<quoted text>
Why do you think you know anything about what the FBI and Chicago police are saying about the religious affiliation of the people murdering other people in America? And how would they know? Do the FBI or police collect and tabulate that data? If so, would you share it?
<quoted text>
My statement was correct, just like a statement that most cars in America are Christian, most people wearing Levis in America are Christian, most people that ate in an American McDonalds yesterday are Christian, and most Americans whose last name begins with the letter "L" are Christians. Do you doubt any of those claims?
I want to apologize to you and I hope you accept. I was wrong to imply you were a “hack,” Medical Doctor. I shouldn’t have done that. Will you forgive me?

Westcliffe, CO

#180328 Oct 17, 2013
http://scitechdaily.com/scientists-generate-m...

Seebeck effect.

But this will revolutionize physics and technology.

This is something that happens "naturally" all over the place. They just learned how to isolate and duplicate.

It will also modify the BBT.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#180329 Oct 17, 2013
<quoted text>
Why are my credentials relevant to you?
<quoted text>
Were you a scientist or just work around them? Which kind? Were you trained or educated in science? Which science do you have expertise in?
<quoted text>
Is this how you intend to defend your claims or rebut mine? You didn't even try to defend your claim about ribs being the only human tissue that regenerates or that removed ribs will grow back, and you changed mine to a much stronger and more generalized statement than the one I actually made.
Speaking of canned answers, I was correct that you got you argument about ribs out of Answers in Genesis, wasn't I? It was probably the exact link I cited:
http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/aid/...
You simply ignore that.
Actually, you ignored the entire post and went right to attacking my education. Did you care to address any of the following:
Eagle wrote: "Ribs are the only part of a human that will regenerate. If a portion of a rib is cut away. It grows back new."
[1] IANS countered: "That's wrong. Did you know that the liver regenerates itself if there is healthy liver tissue to do so? Apparently not."
You were silent.
[2] IANS wrote: "there is almost no data to support that ribs regenerate in humans, at least not in the sense that you implied."
You had no comment.
[3] IANS wrote: "It looks like you're getting your science from Christian apologetics sources, like Answers In Genesis.
You remain silent.
[4] IANS wrote: "Let me give you a hint: if you can only find it in a Christian apologetics source, they made it up. There is nothing true about the world known only to Christians. If it is true, it can be found in a secular source."
And again no comment.
Can we assume that you have no argument with any of these comments, or that if you do, that you are unable to articulate it?
And shall we forgo any further pretense of debate and have you just jump into the phase where you frustratedly proclaim your faith and attack my character? You're already halfway there calling my alma mater obsolete, demeaning my education, and refusing to answer my questions or rebut my claims.
Chemical Plant Superintendent- 32 years

Was also the “On Scene Incident Commander,” for the 500 acre complex.

Over 50 specialty chemicals- The list is too long to try and list. Some were even considered at one time as Chemical Weapons. I help destroy 5 tons of the US Army Stockpile of “CG” in the early 80’s.

Also was a police & fire dispatcher for a short duration.

Now retired.

Yes, I do owe you an apology. And I apologize but not as an act of weakness but of character.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#180330 Oct 17, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
I throw that crap "Gideon Bibles" out the window every time I see one. You still eat that crap daily - how does it taste?
So you proudly vandalize and destroy what doesn’t belong to you?

Why am I not surprised?

Atheism doesn’t bring with it morality does it?
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#180331 Oct 17, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
"Of course LOVE is tangible"
"So is God because the Bible says, 1 John 4:16 - And we have known and believed the love that God hath to us. God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him."
Does that mean that spiderman is real because a book says so? I guess that means that Victor Stinger's book is also true, GOD THE FAILED HYPOTHESIS.....How science proves that God does not exist.

What makes the bible more valid that Doctor Stinger's book?

I'm presuming you know the definition of circular reasoning right? "God is real because it says so in the bible" How do you know the bible is true? "Because God says so." And around and around we go!!!!

The bible also says you are supposed to stone your children to death when they misbehave, have you done so?

Do you keep slaves? The bible says you should.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#180332 Oct 17, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
[Religion] is the price he has to pay for being intelligent but not, as yet, intelligent enough." ~Aldous Huxley
Man's religious phase is the transition between the time when he could first wonder and ask questions until was able to answer them. It's coming to a close in the West, with Europe, Canada and Australia leading the way, America trailing behind, and the Latin American countries bringing up the rear.

"Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy." - Carl Sagan

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

#180337 Oct 17, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I want to apologize to you and I hope you accept. I was wrong to imply you were a “hack,” Medical Doctor. I shouldn’t have done that. Will you forgive me?
OK.

But don't do it again.

“Robert Stevens”

Since: Dec 08

Jersey City , NJ

#180341 Oct 17, 2013
<quoted text>
And yet again.
How many posts have we have seen now combining religion, the death of atheists, and laughter? Are you that angry at us? Why?
No, I just think it is not a choice that should be promoted as people here do. Part of me finds it said you cross the line of challenging religions to just being against them. In the end you strengthen religious groups mainly fundamentalist Christians

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#180342 Oct 17, 2013
chipped nails wrote:
<quoted text>
Then why is it that you can't enjoy your atheism, your liberation from religion, and have a personal experience of never talking about God anymore?
I'll even count it as proof there is no God if you would try it and succeed by never posting about religion and nagging about a God you don't believe in ever again.
Right now you are proving to us you are fearful that your faith in atheism is just too damn weak and insufficient.
Oh, and science does prove there is a God as nothing can explain scientific laws outside of the fact God created science, the elements, the order of matter, and put the laws of science in place, you hopeless moron. Only God could have done this from the beginning, you cheap thinking atheist.
*I'll await your angry response , full of bigotry and name calling since you are a (hateful atheist™)
Are you high?

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#180343 Oct 17, 2013
<quoted text>
What has your god done perfectly? It looks like he got the fish and flowers right. And rocks, and water.
But the angels he made rebelled and mankind rebelled. Weren't those the two creations of which he was most proud?

You are talking about a different God from mine.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#180344 Oct 17, 2013
chipped nails wrote:
<quoted text>
Then why is it that you can't enjoy your atheism, your liberation from religion, and have a personal experience of never talking about God anymore?
I'll even count it as proof there is no God if you would try it and succeed by never posting about religion and nagging about a God you don't believe in ever again.
Right now you are proving to us you are fearful that your faith in atheism is just too damn weak and insufficient.
Oh, and science does prove there is a God as nothing can explain scientific laws outside of the fact God created science, the elements, the order of matter, and put the laws of science in place, you hopeless moron. Only God could have done this from the beginning, you cheap thinking atheist.
*I'll await your angry response , full of bigotry and name calling since you are a (hateful atheist™)
I know! Can you believe atheists are discussing atheism on a discussion board about atheism!

The nerve!

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#180345 Oct 17, 2013
christINSANITY is EVIL wrote:
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
Godbot, that is very flattering, and having someone whom denounces The Great Jesus Christ, and calls him false and a lie, insult me. It does
/quote
why should it when you claimed to be pagan!
were you Lying to us,perhaps out of fear that atheists might track you down and put yo lights out?LLLLL
Yes, I do believe in a separate God from The Christian God, but still I have a lot of respect for that God too. I believe in both sorts of Gods, the one that created us, and the ones we create.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#180346 Oct 17, 2013
movinon09 wrote:
I am not going to force my beliefs
Beliefs that have to be forced aren't worth holding.
movinon09 wrote:
I am very sure my life changed once I received the Holly Spirit.
Your certainty is not evidence of anything except that you are willing to say that you are certain about something that you can't possible know with certainty.
movinon09 wrote:
I believe spiritual and religious facts should be taught in school.
Of course you do. That's one of the ways to force people to believe: indoctrinate them before they can develop critical thinking skills. If you wait for the kids to grow up before offering them your religion, the outcome is very different. Consider all of the things that we keep from children until they are old enough to use good judgment.

The church understands all of that very well, which is why getting "under God" into the Pledge was so important to it, and why the loss of state sponsored prayer and the right to teach Creationism to the very young was such a setback.

"Religious leaders are well aware of the vulnerability of the child brain, and the importance of getting the indoctrination in early. The Jesuit boast,‘Give me the child for his first seven years, and I’ll give you the man,’ is no less accurate (or sinister) for being hackneyed." - Dawkins

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 12 min Teaman 1,206,825
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 18 min Truth is might 309,260
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 47 min Patriot AKA Bozo 4,977
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 6 hr Brew In 29,276
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 13 hr Big D 201,795
How to recover lost data from iPhone/iPad/iPod- (Jan '14) Mar 26 kareeo 14
The night Adolph Rupp met Johnny Green Mar 18 alexreese447 1
More from around the web