Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#180092 Oct 15, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Her irrational state, without a doubt. She gets all bitchy.
Hey, Yoda, Jr,, cool avatar you got there. Keep at it, you are almost out to his galaxy. Maybe you two can have lunch and he could teach you how to use that light saber.
Only when you initiate it. But of course you would never occur to you that your blatant sexism, snide and inaccurate personality attacks and deliberate ignorance could initiate such an sentiment as fact that you assume to be bitchiness

#180093 Oct 15, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Perhaps "Struthiform".
"Ostrich-like."
Possibly, I have been told I have a long neck and legs but honestly not that long and of course the middle bit is all the wrong shape. LOL

But really who really knows what he meant?
Imhotep

Matthews, NC

#180094 Oct 15, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you believe in God?
I’m not asking about religion.
NOPE!

I believe strictly in me!

Gods are imaginary, religions were created, by men, to control and extort money from the gullible.

Logically, the entire concept of supreme beings is flawed without evidence, without merit. It exposes the ignorance of primitive man.

Our civilization is not Christian. It does not come from the skies. It is not a result of "inspiration" but the child of human invention.

My respect for the Abrahamic religions went up in the smoke and choking dust of September 11th. The last vestige of respect for this taboo vanished as I watched the 'Day of Prayer' in Washington Cathedral, where people of mutually incompatible faiths united in homage to the very force that caused the problem in the first place: RELIGION.

It is time for people of intellect, as opposed to people of faith, to stand up and declare to respect people for what they individually think, rather than respect groups for what they were collectively brought up to believe.

Did you know...

The Christian view that all intercourse outside marriage is immoral was based upon the view that all sexual intercourse, even within marriage, is regrettable.

A view of this sort, which goes against biological facts, can only be regarded by some people as a morbid aberration.

The fact that it is embedded in Christian ethics has made Christianity throughout its whole history a force tending towards mental disorders and unwholesome views of life.

The Church had devastating impact upon society. As the Church assumed leadership, activity in the fields of medicine, technology, science, education, history, art and commerce all but collapsed.

Technology disappeared and the Church became the most cohesive power in Western society. The extensive aqueduct and plumbing systems vanished.

Orthodox Christians taught that all aspects of the flesh should be reviled and therefore discouraged washing as much as possible.

Toilets and indoor plumbing disappeared. Disease became commonplace as sanitation and hygiene deteriorated. For hundreds of years, towns and villages were decimated by epidemics.

Europe entered the Dark Ages.

“Organised religion is violent, irrational, intolerant, allied to racism, tribalism, and bigotry, invested in ignorance and hostile to free inquiry, contemptuous of women and coercive toward children.”
~Christopher Hitchens

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#180095 Oct 15, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
Why would we bake you, when we know The Devil is waiting to do it. No need for over kill.
To be godly. You want to be as much like your god as you can, don't you?

Christians are told to imitate their god as closely as possible. Well, what does a sinless, perfectly moral and perfectly loving god do? He builds a torture pit, staffs it with a supernatural Inquisitor, causes souls to be immortal, and drops them into the fiery torture pit to suffer forever.

Don't you want to be like that, too?

#180096 Oct 15, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
Godbot, that is very flattering, and having someone whom denounces The Great Jesus Christ, and calls him false and a lie, insult me. It does, me and my family proud. I really am all choked up. A person that admits he has no soul calling me ignorant and other condescending words. You couldn't make me more happy. Godbot, I really don't think I am worthy, but thank you, all the same.
Oh I know the late JC is false and a lie, I have even seen his fathers grave and seen his military record, I have studied his mothers tax records and guess what, no person of that name existed in any semblance of that stated in the babble. I have examined details of the plot that eventually lead to the name of the terrorist you worship being misnamed jesus during a greek translation.

As for insulting you, you deserve it seeing as how you insulted the memory of my grandfather and the many other atheists who fought and died just so you could lie your god.

And of course however you delusion yourself is entirely up to you.

Fennario

#180097 Oct 15, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
Oh don’t feel bad about what you did to Catcher1. Heck fire the same thing happened to Madeline Murray O'Hare. One day one of her good ole buddies just shot her dead. You Atheist are funny about such things.
Do you also think that killing atheists is funny?

What are you people so agitated about? That your religion is being questioned? Isn't that a good thing?

Fennario

#180098 Oct 15, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
You know you sound like part of the Salem Witch [h]unt show I took in while I was there. Too funny.
And yet again.

How many posts have we have seen now combining religion, the death of atheists, and laughter? Are you that angry at us? Why?

Fennario

#180099 Oct 15, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
It are The Atheist nations that don't offer challenge.
What?

#180100 Oct 15, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok you don't have a soul, right?
Of course not, neither have you, unless of course you can provide just the tiniest hint of any evidence for your belief in magic then your belief is a worthless

In just the same what that you can provide absolutely no evidence (although there is considerable evidence to the contrary) that “there are no atheists in foxholes”.

You LIE about that so we can infer that you LIE about everything else

And I notice that in no way have you shown the backbone to actually respond to any point in my post. Completely expected of course coming from a worthless blob of ignorance like you.

Just a thought, maybe you believe your soul is responsible for you lies? Let me tell you something about life, you are responsible to yourself, no belief in a soul and no god crutch will make any difference to that morality.

#180101 Oct 15, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
And yet again.
How many posts have we have seen now combining religion, the death of atheists, and laughter? Are you that angry at us? Why?
He employs deliberate ignorance, he has a yellow streak the size of the USA, he blatantly lies and I would not be surprised if he hated kittens

A perfect role model for godbotism at it’s worst.

It is because of people like him that the christian church is in decline

Fennario

#180102 Oct 15, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
Ribs are the only part of a human that will regenerate. If a portion of a rib is cut away. It grows back new.
You apparently don't know much about human biology, which is not unusual. What is unusual except with faith based thinkers is making authoritative statements about it anyway.
Eagle 12 wrote:
I really don’t care one way or the other how science thinks the earth was made.
You obviously have as little respect for science as you have understanding of it. Antiscientism combined with scientific illiteracy is one of the shibboleths of Christianity.
Eagle 12 wrote:
I don’t believe at this time in the evolution of mankind. The evidence simply is not there when one actually delves into looking for evidence.
What difference would evidence make to a faith based thinker? You don't require any to believe something, and you don't let contradictory evidence sway your faith based convictions, so why even mention it when discussing whether you will believe in evolution or not? With faith, you have the choice to believe it or not believe it, and you choose not.

Are you suggesting that evidence would change your mind? If so, your faith isn't very strong.

Fennario

#180103 Oct 15, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
I believe in a Perfect God
What has your god done perfectly? It looks like he got the fish and flowers right. And rocks, and water.

But the angels he made rebelled and mankind rebelled. Weren't those the two creations of which he was most proud?

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#180104 Oct 15, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Ehm, no, completely logical arguments backed up with either fact or mathematics but hey, if you cannot find anything to discuss except attempted personality and character slurs, so be it.
You wouldn't listen to or understand facts or mathematics when you get like this.

Your science withs its facts and math says it was a singularity that got hot and then expanded. Then it became a "one". A closed system.

That is a "one" turning into fractions of the "one" that then become individual "ones" within the closed system. Largely due to observation turning those fractions into ones.

You can liken that to the birth of a new organism. You also have the same energy surge, and thus heat generated, for those original cells to break their boundaries and start the process of organizing matter for their construction.

You are too emotional and bitchy to make a connection like that. You will even deny parts of science, like that singularity being hot and descibed as so in every description of the Big Bang by science, just to argue. A sex substitute for some women.

But let's return to math at its very root.

You can't change the value of a "one". That is your singularity. Kinda how it got the name. You can't fracture a true "one".

The singularity would have had to have a granularity in it to even expand, which means it wasn't a singularity, but a seed. One seed that grew.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#180105 Oct 15, 2013
<quoted text>
Yep, that's it.
Bongo loves words like I do, and he makes the effort to add them to his vocabulary when he sees them. Struthiform was a word I introduced a few months ago on another thread that he liked and began using:
"Sorry, my struthiform friend."
Since he tries to learn and use them, I've continued supplying them on a regular basis. Perhaps you've noticed him use the words breedbate, xanthodontous and pilgarlic recently. These come from two fairly funny insults I posted recently:
[1] "So says the furfuraceous, pediculous, xanthodontous pilgarlic"
[For those not sufficiently intrigued to look them up, those mean dandruffy, louse ridden, yellow toothed and bald headed]
[2] "But not you, you contemptible lackwit, lickspigot, quibberdick, breedbate, and cumberworld."
[These are mostly self-evident in meaning, I think]
It's the reason I gave him the list of "-nym" words yesterday, and several other lists in the past. If there's any interest in them, I can run them again through this thread.
One would think that the jackanapes would at least look up the meanings.

(I'm a lover of words also, and a huge fan of Shakespeare.)
Imhotep

Matthews, NC

#180106 Oct 15, 2013
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Dank u, en hetzelfde voor u en uw gezin.
;)

I am very busy at work. Travel today!
Nice Dutch!

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#180107 Oct 15, 2013
<quoted text>
That's what Kirk Cameron thinks? What a great endorsement.
What does Carrot Top have to say? Or Octomom.
I tend to go with whatever Snookie says. Apparently now, I'm a non practicing Catholic.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#180108 Oct 15, 2013
<quoted text>
You apparently don't know much about human biology, which is not unusual. What is unusual except with faith based thinkers is making authoritative statements about it anyway.
<quoted text>
You obviously have as little respect for science as you have understanding of it. Antiscientism combined with scientific illiteracy is one of the shibboleths of Christianity.
<quoted text>
What difference would evidence make to a faith based thinker? You don't require any to believe something, and you don't let contradictory evidence sway your faith based convictions, so why even mention it when discussing whether you will believe in evolution or not? With faith, you have the choice to believe it or not believe it, and you choose not.
Are you suggesting that evidence would change your mind? If so, your faith isn't very strong.
No offence intended but your comments are very typical and predictable. It’s like all of you Atheist were machined punched and mass produced to think alike.
Stereotyping millions of upon millions of people is just what Atheist do. After all who knows what Christians believe better than a narcissistic Atheist?
I believe in science and worked in a science field for over 32 years. What I don’t believe in is science that is supported by imaginary thought and unproven ideas. Evolution is the only science that has a Gestapo enforcement arm. If you don’t believe in it then you are dragged out into the hall and abused.
The “You don’t understand science,” argument is just so old and lame. It’s like someone dropped a quarter into a old coke machine and selected “Atheist Response.” Surprise me with some real intellectual response beside the same ole canned responses.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#180109 Oct 15, 2013
<quoted text>
Do you also think that killing atheists is funny?
What are you people so agitated about? That your religion is being questioned? Isn't that a good thing?
There’s nothing funny about killing anyone. Including late term healthy babies.

But it’s ironic that Madeline Murray O'Hare was killed by a fellow Atheist. Not a Christian but a fellow who knew her personally. He also cut her up into pieces so we have been lead to believe.

Atheist in leadership don’t live by a moral code apparently. This is why Atheist leaders need to make sure their employee’s are believers in morality.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#180110 Oct 15, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Christine, an artist, who was raised in a christian household and taught belief in god and the babble left the church at age 14 following years of mockery and verbal abuse. She found the two faced snideness taught by christianity to be sick minded and self defeating. There followed a period that involved deep and meaningful study of the babble as well as other relevant contemporary documents that consolidated her belief that not only does no god exist but no god can exist in this universe. That study also educated her of the lies and deceit fostered by christianity in the words of the NT
From me.
Sadly abuse in homes is common these days. Only you know the kind of abusive environment you were in. Not every home is in a model home of love and kindness.

This I can say, choices that teens make early in life are not always the correct choice. Because they lack the maturity and experience in life. That is not meant to say you did not suffer in your home environment.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#180111 Oct 15, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
NOPE!
I believe strictly in me!
Gods are imaginary, religions were created, by men, to control and extort money from the gullible.
Logically, the entire concept of supreme beings is flawed without evidence, without merit. It exposes the ignorance of primitive man.
Our civilization is not Christian. It does not come from the skies. It is not a result of "inspiration" but the child of human invention.
My respect for the Abrahamic religions went up in the smoke and choking dust of September 11th. The last vestige of respect for this taboo vanished as I watched the 'Day of Prayer' in Washington Cathedral, where people of mutually incompatible faiths united in homage to the very force that caused the problem in the first place: RELIGION.
It is time for people of intellect, as opposed to people of faith, to stand up and declare to respect people for what they individually think, rather than respect groups for what they were collectively brought up to believe.
Did you know...
The Christian view that all intercourse outside marriage is immoral was based upon the view that all sexual intercourse, even within marriage, is regrettable.
A view of this sort, which goes against biological facts, can only be regarded by some people as a morbid aberration.
The fact that it is embedded in Christian ethics has made Christianity throughout its whole history a force tending towards mental disorders and unwholesome views of life.
The Church had devastating impact upon society. As the Church assumed leadership, activity in the fields of medicine, technology, science, education, history, art and commerce all but collapsed.
Technology disappeared and the Church became the most cohesive power in Western society. The extensive aqueduct and plumbing systems vanished.
Orthodox Christians taught that all aspects of the flesh should be reviled and therefore discouraged washing as much as possible.
Toilets and indoor plumbing disappeared. Disease became commonplace as sanitation and hygiene deteriorated. For hundreds of years, towns and villages were decimated by epidemics.
Europe entered the Dark Ages.
“Organised religion is violent, irrational, intolerant, allied to racism, tribalism, and bigotry, invested in ignorance and hostile to free inquiry, contemptuous of women and coercive toward children.”
~Christopher Hitchens
Thank you for being so very honest in your answers.

But you just told me you don’t believe in God. Previously you said you were not an Atheist.

Do you understand these are contradictory statements?

How can you not be an Atheist and not believe in God?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 12 min RealDave 1,124,278
What role do you think humans play in global wa... 2 hr Earthling-1 1,473
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 2 hr Gtown71 306,190
Should child beauty pageants be banned? 3 hr Becky 437
UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 7 hr Trojan 27,879
Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Fri Mary Downformore 201,188
Get your Gator Jamberry Nail Wraps Oct 16 jambycatherine 1

NCAA Basketball People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE