Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#179890 Oct 13, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>What was bitter about my post? I thought it was an amusing little observation. You're a self styled "self taught intellectual rebel," and you claim as immutable the most ludicrous piece of dogma about god. An infinite being who gets jealous? Lol.
I don't have the same crippling fear of death as you, so all of the nonsense about "interstellar doo doo" and "being trapped here until death" is meaningless to me. Your fixation on the idea that life is meaningless if there's no afterlife/god/ultimate meaning/etc is very illuminating however.
I do commend you for the last bit of your post though. Unbridled hubris is always good for a laugh. You know the mind of god well enough to speak for him because you just kinda figured out the secrets of the universe/physics by tinkering around. Of course, it's only a coincidence that your glorious intellectual journey led you straight to a very typical conception of the christian god.
:-)

You are scared of death, Timmy. It is an unknown to you. I did experience that check out line. This consciousness writing this post completely walked off the job. I was no longer Dave Nelson, but I was something else. Total wipeout of this existence on a conscious level. I woke up in a darkness far removed from here, and something I was hiding from. I had no religious belief. The closest I ever came prior to a spiritual or religious frame of mind was several years earlier when out of the blue while driving at work. I got the conscious idea an atomic bomb could explode 10 foot above my head and I would survive it. I survived over 20 tons at 40 mph in my very lap later.

My supreme being doesn't get jealous. It has no reason to. Nor does it have the sense of morality you wish to impose upon it. You see, you are the one stuck on the Christianity as written in a book. I see the stories as metaphorical, not as the absolutes you do.

As I said, you can't comprehend my perception of what it is. I can't tell you what it is, but I can tell you what it ain't. And that is whatever you think it is.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#179892 Oct 13, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
I have read a few times where they expect to develop computers to surpass us. Quantum computers. Just add devices for it to control. Even organic based materials.
Cold hard analytical logic of a machine that can process faster and hold more memory than a human. And it doesn't have the emotions, dreams and illusions humans suffer from that clouds logic and reality.
Some think that is an evolutionary advancement.
Organic computers are just more efficient in transferring energy, however, the lower voltages they work at make them more susceptible to spurious signals. 20 volts can blow semiconductors. This miniaturization of circuitry can be quite awesome in what it can do. I've worked on the old electromechanical stuff and the new. The circuitry that took a two story building occupying a city block could be duplicated on something the size of a thumbnail. And that was years ago. Was the interfacing with it by humans that required larger components.
Your life is already being run by computers. No one thinks anything out anymore. They just enter data and use algorithms and go by what is spit back out. This includes governments and social programs.
Had an interesting experience with that sort of thing years ago. Installed a brand new digital telephone switching system. The manufacturerer, which was a large international outfit, introduced this elegantly architectured system for sale. I put in one of the two first installations in a warehouse distributor while one went in simultaneously in an airport. The manual was mostly blank pages. The factory tech support didn't even have one to work on. The manufacturer sent a team of engineers to the airport install. I had a woman who was my customer relations rep and her brother as a grunt worker. That was it.
Did the cutover. And did the bugs in the design ever start coming out. Nightmare. The thing wasn't tap dancing while whistling Dixie like the manufacturer and salesmen said it would. We didn't get paid unless the customer was satisfied. We had already paid for it. About 30 grand worth.
Calls of desperation to the factory resulted in assurances that the problems would be fixed in future patch levels. Some months in the future. I was invited to a meeting at their HQ to relay the issues, which they used to beat up on each other. They weren't helping us get paid. So a younger old Dave got desperate and started digging into digital innards of this machine. Fortunately there was a program to directly access the digital coding in it and make changes. Dave spent a couple of weeks, day and night, and several boxes of thermal printing paper on a 300 dpi interface seeing how this was put together and the effects those changes made. I managed to do some tweaking that way to put some fires out and us to get paid. The factory didn't do a thing.
I went up to visit the big boss of their software section. We had been talking for a while and got to know each other a bit. I was asking him about the patches that were due. Then I started telling him about how I put some of those fires out after seeing how the coding worked and tweaking them a bit. I was talking to him in 0's and 1's. He got a blank look on his face and said he didn't know how they were coded as they programmed everything through a HP5000. Then he said they couldn't support me if I did such things.
But that is how things are done with computers. They started out with directly changing machine language, but as they got more elegant and larger they relied more on programming languages to make the changes, losing the vision of what happens on the most basic levels. That is where the bugs come from. But that is the nature of the beast.
It did turn into a most excellent system, though.
Are you ready for your human to digital interface installation, it comes with a free 64 gig SD card?

Location hidden

#179893 Oct 13, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
<The Dave Nelson> "Sweet Lord Jesus, I'm not wearing any pannnntiesss....mmmmmm... "
You have some interesting fantasies, scar.

Some deep seated wishes and desires in you?

Go to a gay bar, someone there would be sure to help you with them.

Location hidden

#179894 Oct 13, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> Are you ready for your human to digital interface installation, it comes with a free 64 gig SD card?
Already have it.

Remote control airplane I've mentioned before?

Tuned circuits swimming in a sea of signals.

Location hidden

#179895 Oct 13, 2013
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LC_circuit

Human beings, and all living creatures are made of these principles. They are also responsible for your thought, although you have a hellaceously complex feedback network modifying the environment you are in, resulting in less than uniform response to those external stimuli, both on th eindividual and collective scales.

Inductance, capacitance, and resistance are not something designed in our electrical technology. They are intrinsic principles of physics we learned to harness and affect our environment.

Don't let me get into how that technology has changed the environment we now live in. It has. It has overridden the natural flow Momma Earth developed leading up to and after we became part of the larger circuitry. May be a good thing, may be a bad one. We won't know until we get there.

Topix atheists, we are not separate from the universe. You just like to think so, even though you may pay lip service to evolution.

Location hidden

#179896 Oct 13, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L C_circuit
Human beings, and all living creatures are made of these principles. They are also responsible for your thought, although you have a hellaceously complex feedback network modifying the environment you are in, resulting in less than uniform response to those external stimuli, both on th eindividual and collective scales.
Inductance, capacitance, and resistance are not something designed in our electrical technology. They are intrinsic principles of physics we learned to harness and affect our environment.
Don't let me get into how that technology has changed the environment we now live in. It has. It has overridden the natural flow Momma Earth developed leading up to and after we became part of the larger circuitry. May be a good thing, may be a bad one. We won't know until we get there.
Topix atheists, we are not separate from the universe. You just like to think so, even though you may pay lip service to evolution.
DNA is the canvas, evolution is the paint.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#179897 Oct 13, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You have some interesting fantasies, scar.
Some deep seated wishes and desires in you?
Go to a gay bar, someone there would be sure to help you with them.
The voice of experience speaks.

The only problem is I'm not gay and I don't drink, Dave.

NTTAWWT

Location hidden

#179898 Oct 13, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
NTTAWWT
Eat your Wheaties, big boy. You are coming across as pretty weak lately.

Location hidden

#179899 Oct 13, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
DNA is the canvas, evolution is the paint.
The environment is the canvas, the DNA is the brush strokes creating the form. Evolution is the whole picture.

The artist put it all together.

Or something like that.

“In God we trust”

Since: Dec 12

Cape Town, South Africa

#179900 Oct 13, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
NTTAWWT
An none gay atheist and you don't drink! Wow!

Location hidden

#179901 Oct 13, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
The environment is the canvas, the DNA is the brush strokes creating the form. Evolution is the whole picture.
The artist put it all together.
Or something like that.
The environment (Earth) is the gallery.

Location hidden

#179902 Oct 13, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> The environment (Earth) is the gallery.
The earth is a series of paintings hanging in a gallery. The entities living on it are the same, only the faces and bodies they use have changed.

What kind of art is that where you have different fluids mixing and creating different pictures?

Location hidden

#179903 Oct 13, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
The earth is a series of paintings hanging in a gallery. The entities living on it are the same, only the faces and bodies they use have changed.
What kind of art is that where you have different fluids mixing and creating different pictures?
A collage.

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

#179904 Oct 13, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
You surprise me with this level of tolerance.
Honestly, I did not expect it from you, given your hateful comments to me.
I suppose you make a special exception for me, right?
... meh.
I don't recall being nasty to you, or even posting to you?

What have I said?

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

#179905 Oct 13, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Idiot.
What do you know about China? Have you lived there?
What?
You should probably STFU about things that your ignorant of.
I'm just sayin or else be judged by people that do know.
"He's an idiot"
No, he's just ignorant.
"No, he's an idiot"
Eh, you're right.
Ignorance is limitless,, River.

Since: Oct 13

Location hidden

#179906 Oct 13, 2013
I think it is, cause any position in religion will always require some kind of faith!

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#179907 Oct 13, 2013
John Henke wrote:
I think it is, cause any position in religion will always require some kind of faith!
Do you have a deep and abiding faith that unicorns don't exist?

“Robert Stevens”

Since: Dec 08

Jersey City , NJ

#179908 Oct 13, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>There most likely was no such person as Jesus Christ, at least the person you think he was. There are NO contemporary accounts of Jesus outside of the bible, that is factual. There were some that shared this name that roamed the countryside preaching, but the Jesus depicted in the bible is a myth. Sorry for your loss!!!
Pure lunacy, the online atheist offer. There are historical transcripts between him and the other leaders of that era. A great example of how atheist go to far, and are frequently unworthy of a response.

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#179909 Oct 13, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>
The government appears to regard the Falun Dafa as the most serious threat to the government since the 1989 student uprising. The government has historical reasons for their fear. China has had a history of religious and spiritual uprisings that had catastrophic effects on the country. "In the late 1770s, the White Lotus rebellion against the Qing dynasty was led by Wang Lun, a master of martial arts and herbal medicine." 2 Perhaps the most serious was the Taiping rebellion of 1845-1864 which was led by a leader who viewed himself as the Son of God. Some 20 million died in that revolt.
You've bee exposed once again as a liar. None of these articles you posted said anything about the Chinese Government forcing people to become Atheists. The government fears religious groups because of a history of revolts, it has NOTHING to do with turning people in Atheists. Perhaps it is you who needs to bone up on reading comprehension. It never says you can't worship in private, which is actually what all religions should do. It was actually this mythical Jesus dude that suggested people worship in private.
The first article you posted said nothing about the suppression of religion, so I don't know what you hoped to accomplish there.
I do thank you for submitting an article that demonstrated how poisonous religion really is, the Taiping rebellion where the leader thought he was God and attempted to spread Christianity throughout China.
As previously mentioned you have a low reading comprehension. It is no accident the three most suppressive nations in the world are atheist ran. You could go on otherwise until the cows come in, Americans are smarter than you think they are. Your ilk will never go far politically, and thank God for that. You could either cry about it as you do, or go where your ilk reign, deep down inside you know atheism sucks otherwise you would migrate. As I would if I was in an atheist ran country.

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#179910 Oct 13, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>I'm begnining to suspect something here...
.. and it begins to make a kind of horrible sense.
YOU are Bongo's alter-ego, just as sponge-bob loofuah is.
Hmmmm.... it almost fits:
## You both demonstrate a complete lack of education
## you both post hate
## you both post pathetic attempts to insult, when you cannot get your way
## you both believe in 100% bullshyt.
So are you the same poster?
Even if you are not?
IT DOES NOT MATTER:
You are both unable to convince a rat to go for some nice cheese...
... fail.
You are too smart, everyday I drive to Connecticut and post what an idiot you are, then I drive back to New Jersey to further post how stupid you are. Let's try this Sherlock Holmes. You and thinking remove your location block and post comments. I bet the last hair on your soulless balls that the two of you will be with in the same 30 miles radius.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min John Galt 1,154,127
UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 1 hr Bruin Nation 28,401
Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 1 hr Joe fortuna 201,173
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 1 hr Phil Donahue 306,995
What role do you think humans play in global wa... 12 hr IBdaMann 2,682
Should child beauty pageants be banned? 14 hr Roy the Boy 691
Conn's Appliances (Nov '07) Dec 16 The Real Daniel S... 281
More from around the web