Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story
Bongo

Westbury, NY

#179709 Oct 11, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Who is responsible for hell and Satan?
God is. Scripture says satan is judged and hes being dealt with. Meanwhile, the elect are a little lower than the angels

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#179710 Oct 11, 2013
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> How about yahoo literati?
How about right handed Mumblety-peg. I got a leg up on ya.

:-)

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#179711 Oct 11, 2013
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> I agree, its utter non sense to the carnal mind. Spiritual things are spiritually discerned. Many have the gift Many do not. Ever wonder why?
"gift"? Is that what they are telling you it is?

How nice: to call your insanity a "gift".

Perhaps that makes you feel less inadequate.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#179712 Oct 11, 2013
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> I agree, its utter non sense to the carnal mind. Spiritual things are spiritually discerned. Many have the gift Many do not. Ever wonder why?
You spelled stupid and stupidly wrong.

I'm just here to help.

;-)

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#179713 Oct 11, 2013
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> God is. Scripture says satan is judged and hes being dealt with. Meanwhile, the elect are a little lower than the angels
Riiiight... because your god is incapable of fixing the problem in the beginning.

Just as your god failed to make humans who didn't need to be drowned later.

In fact?

Your god is pretty much a total failure.

Proof?

You.

You are proof of the failure of your god to make good decisions.

The fact that your god ...

.... uses ....

........ you.

Fail.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#179714 Oct 11, 2013
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> God is. Scripture says satan is judged and hes being dealt with. Meanwhile, the elect are a little lower than the angels
HL says satin is judged and I'll be dealt with. I've never seen any girl get lower than Angel.
Bongo

Westbury, NY

#179715 Oct 11, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Riiiight... because your god is incapable of fixing the problem in the beginning.
Just as your god failed to make humans who didn't need to be drowned later.
In fact?
Your god is pretty much a total failure.
Proof?
You.
You are proof of the failure of your god to make good decisions.
The fact that your god ...
.... uses ....
........ you.
Fail.
Bob we're dealing with eternity here, why are you so impatient over a couple thousand years?
Bongo

Westbury, NY

#179716 Oct 11, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
How about right handed Mumblety-peg. I got a leg up on ya.
:-)
well perhaps you could get a leg over one day? The famous Bobloblah would approve

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#179717 Oct 11, 2013
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> well perhaps you could get a leg over one day? The famous Bobloblah would approve
Forever and ever?

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#179718 Oct 11, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
It is likely they pretend to be "nice" in real life.
This seemingly anonymous place does bring out their True Colors, though.
Even if it is pretend, I'd rather see that than the predator all the time. But there are plenty of people who are a total facade, to what is really underneath. Take politicians as a prime example, smile and tell you while patting you on the back, just how they are looking out for you. But the other hand is in the vaseline getting a wad to grease you up for the rest of the story. lol
Imhotep

United States

#179720 Oct 12, 2013
Carchar king wrote:
<quoted text>
Tell me what God could've done to Hitler to prevent WW2
In a word... nothing!
Gods are imaginary.

You Know You're in a Redneck Church if ...

1. You Know You're in a Redneck Church if ...
The finance committee refuses to provide funds for the purchase of a chandelier because none of the members knows how to play one.

2. You Know You're in a Redneck Church if ...
People ask, when they learn that Jesus fed the 5000, whether the two fish were bass or catfish, and what bait was used to catch 'em.

3. You Know You're in a Redneck Church if ...
When the pastor says, "I'd like to ask Bubba to help take up the offering" and five guys and two women stand up.

4. You Know You're in a Redneck Church if ...
Opening day of deer season is recognized as an official church holiday.

5. You Know You're in a Redneck Church if...
A member of the church requests to be buried in his 4-wheel-drive truck because "It ain't never been in a hole it couldn't get out of" (Love it!)

6. You Know You're in a Redneck Church if ...
The choir is known as the "OK Chorale".

7. You Know You're in a Redneck Church if ...
In a congregation of 500 members, there are only seven last names in the church directory.

8. You Know You're in a Redneck Church if ...
People think "rapture" is what you get when you lift something too heavy.

9. You Know You're in a Redneck Church if ...
The baptismal pool is a #2 galvanized " Wheeling " washtub.

10. You Know You're in a Redneck Church if ....
The choir robes were donated by (and embroidered with the logo from) Billy Bob's Barbecue.

11. You Know You're in a Redneck Church if ...
The collection plates are really hubcaps from a '56 Chevy.

12. You Know You're in a Redneck Church if ..
Instead of a bell you are called to service by a duck call.

13. You Know You're in a Redneck Church if ...
The minister and his wife drive matching pickup trucks.

14. You Know You're in a Redneck Church if ...
The communion wine is Boone's Farm "Tickled Pink".

15. You Know You're in a Redneck Church if...
"Thou shall not covet" applies to huntin' dogs, too.

16. You know You're in a Redneck Church if ...
The final words of the benediction are, "Y'all come back now, Ya hear".

;)
Imhotep

United States

#179721 Oct 12, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry to hear it. It's almost all depressing news. I pretty much avoid listening any more except for watching Bill Maher's show.
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
It has.
Things up here in the Land Of The Stupid (rethugs), it looks like those idiots are finally realizing they simply don't have unlimited power...
.. and are capitulating.
It's funny: the ReThugs' are polling at LOWER than even when they tried to impeach Clinton.
If you can fathom that-- pretty much everyone blames them for the shutdown.
I so wish this was an election year-- they would all be out on their lazy parasitic backsides...

Sir Robert and Doc,

Vote? WHY?

We have the very best politicians money can buy -and it does. ;) They don't work for the people - they work for their careers and their owners.

The USA is a Oligarchy.

Why Europe laughs at the USA...

Failed Republican(tea party) concepts advertised globally during the 2012 election run up...

1. The inerrant bible trumps the constitution
2. Evolution and Global warming are a hoax
3. College students and those seeking education are snobs
4. Gay Americans are an abomination
5. Poor people deserve to be poor
6. Union workers are socialists
7. The unemployed are lazy parasites unwilling to work
8. 50% of Latinos are illegal until proven otherwise
9. Women using birth control are sluts
10. Corporations are people

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof was to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
-Douglas Adams
Imhotep

United States

#179722 Oct 12, 2013
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> I agree, its utter non sense to the carnal mind. Spiritual things are spiritually discerned. Many have the gift Many do not. Ever wonder why?
Nope!
Gods? Meh

However speaking of why...

“Organised religion is violent, irrational, intolerant, allied to racism, tribalism, and bigotry, invested in ignorance and hostile to free inquiry, contemptuous of women and coercive toward children.”
~Christopher Hitchens

I am reasonable and would like to join your cult... IF you can answer these two questions for me.

A) Provide evidence that your God is the only true God in a way that religions other than yours cannot do.

B) Provide evidence that your holy book is true in a way that religions other than yours cannot do with theirs.

Scripture?

http://skepticsannotatedbible.com

The "Word of God", far from being inerrant, has always been a work in progress.

And I will take away mine hand, and thou shalt see my back parts: but my face shall not be seen.--Exodus 33:23

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#179723 Oct 12, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope!
Gods? Meh
However speaking of why...
“Organised religion is violent, irrational, intolerant, allied to racism, tribalism, and bigotry, invested in ignorance and hostile to free inquiry, contemptuous of women and coercive toward children.”
~Christopher Hitchens
I am reasonable and would like to join your cult... IF you can answer these two questions for me.
A) Provide evidence that your God is the only true God in a way that religions other than yours cannot do.
B) Provide evidence that your holy book is true in a way that religions other than yours cannot do with theirs.
Scripture?
http://skepticsannotatedbible.com
The "Word of God", far from being inerrant, has always been a work in progress.
And I will take away mine hand, and thou shalt see my back parts: but my face shall not be seen.--Exodus 33:23
You are confusing belief in something more than this existence with ideology. Organized religions do have an ideological componenent because they were developed in societies of men, but the belief in a higher power is an individual thing. You, as an atheist, still have a belief in this higher power, you just ascribe it to the potential of man's intellect. You are just reacting to the ideology of religions, just like members of those different ones to each other. You are part of an ideology yourself. Such is evinced by the commonality of arguments and perspectives atheists use.
Imhotep

United States

#179724 Oct 12, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
1 Kings 18:
20 So Ahab sent word throughout all Israel and assembled the prophets on Mount Carmel. 21 Elijah went before the people and said,“How long will you waver between two opinions? If the Lord is God, follow him; but if Baal is God, follow him.”
But the people said nothing.
22 Then Elijah said to them,“I am the only one of the Lord’s prophets left, but Baal has four hundred and fifty prophets. 23 Get two bulls for us. Let Baal’s prophets choose one for themselves, and let them cut it into pieces and put it on the wood but not set fire to it. I will prepare the other bull and put it on the wood but not set fire to it. 24 Then you call on the name of your god, and I will call on the name of the Lord. The god who answers by fire—he is God.”
Then all the people said,“What you say is good.”
25 Elijah said to the prophets of Baal,“Choose one of the bulls and prepare it first, since there are so many of you. Call on the name of your god, but do not light the fire.” 26 So they took the bull given them and prepared it.
Then they called on the name of Baal from morning till noon.“Baal, answer us!” they shouted. But there was no response; no one answered. And they danced around the altar they had made.
27 At noon Elijah began to taunt them.“Shout louder!” he said.“Surely he is a god! Perhaps he is deep in thought, or busy, or traveling. Maybe he is sleeping and must be awakened.” 28 So they shouted louder and slashed themselves with swords and spears, as was their custom, until their blood flowed. 29 Midday passed, and they continued their frantic prophesying until the time for the evening sacrifice. But there was no response, no one answered, no one paid attention.
30 Then Elijah said to all the people,“Come here to me.” They came to him, and he repaired the altar of the Lord, which had been torn down. 31 Elijah took twelve stones, one for each of the tribes descended from Jacob, to whom the word of the Lord had come, saying,“Your name shall be Israel.” 32 With the stones he built an altar in the name of the Lord, and he dug a trench around it large enough to hold two seahs[a] of seed. 33 He arranged the wood, cut the bull into pieces and laid it on the wood. Then he said to them,“Fill four large jars with water and pour it on the offering and on the wood.”
34 “Do it again,” he said, and they did it again.
“Do it a third time,” he ordered, and they did it the third time. 35 The water ran down around the altar and even filled the trench.
36 At the time of sacrifice, the prophet Elijah stepped forward and prayed:“Lord, the God of Abraham, Isaac and Israel, let it be known today that you are God in Israel and that I am your servant and have done all these things at your command. 37 Answer me, Lord, answer me, so these people will know that you, Lord, are God, and that you are turning their hearts back again.”
38 Then the fire of the Lord fell and burned up the sacrifice, the wood, the stones and the soil, and also licked up the water in the trench.
39 When all the people saw this, they fell prostrate and cried,“The Lord—he is God! The Lord—he is God!”
Awe, you omitted this...

"If any man come to me, and HATE not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple".--Luke 14:26

NO SALE!
Hatred is not for me.

"Take from the church the miraculous, the supernatural, the incomprehensible, the unreasonable, the impossible, the unknowable, the absurd, and nothing but a vacuum remains."
R G Ingersoll
Imhotep

United States

#179725 Oct 12, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
The Atheist said to a group of farmers in the barbershop,“There ain’t no hell.”
Then one of the farmers stood up and pointed his finger at the Atheist and said,
“The hell there ain’t!”
;)

Two cannibals walking through the jungle meet on a path...

I need some help cooking, or advice.

What's the problem?

The last missionary was tough!

How did you cook it?

Oh you know, the usual get the water to boil, throw in a couple bay leaves. some vegetables...

What was the missionary wearing?

A kind of brown frock with white lace, Very little hair.

Ha ha !
I know what your problem is.
You're cooking it wrong!

Wait for it... ;)

Never boil a friar!
Imhotep

United States

#179726 Oct 12, 2013
aiidan wrote:
I used to get so stoned people thought I was Jesus
“When did I realize I was God? Well, I was praying and I suddenly realized I was talking to myself.”~Peter O'Toole
Imhotep

United States

#179727 Oct 12, 2013
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> If a gift is offered to you and you refuse it , who does it belong to? Now get back to awiting your fate.
Gift?
Nonsense!

An often quoted, and very effective line for producing converts to the cult of Jesus(Christianity) is as follows:

What is so hard about accepting a FREE gift of salvation from the Lord Jesus Christ?
It doesn't require anything on your part, but to accept it.

If this gift truly required nothing as the claim says, then you wouldn't have to accept it to be saved.

This line of reasoning is used repeatedly by those trolling for converts in schools, offices, on TV, and just about anywhere else you find an aggressive member of the cult of Jesus.

It's the same nonsense that is spewed and taught in Bible study classrooms in most churches.

It sounds wonderful doesn't it?

Everybody loves free gifts.

The problem is that the gift of salvation as taught in the Bible is anything but free.

It first requires that you perform a work. That work is believing Jesus is your Savior and that only he can serve as your intermediary with God.

Of course it also means that you accept all the baggage that goes along with that.

It means you accept as truth that this "God" will punish people for the "sin" of disbelief(Mark 16:16, John 16:9, John 3:18, John 3:36, Heb 3:12, 1 John 2:22), it requires that you worship a God who will provide infinite punishment for finite sins, and it requires that you accept a God with the behavior of a rather manipulative, power hungry, petty tyrant.

It means you must abandon your mind to save your soul.

You must confess Jesus is your Lord and worship him as such.

That act is a "work" in itself. Faith is also a work.

Make no mistake concerning the actual nature of this so-called "free" gift.

Salvation is exchanged for worship and it's nothing more than a holy barter system where you say the magic words and you are saved. On the surface it's cheap, easy, and painless. It appeals to anyone who doesn't want to be burdened with thinking for themselves, but it's in no sense "free".

This form of holy fire insurance is nothing more than false advertising and should be treated with the same regard one would have when he opens a box of Cracker Jacks and digs out the cheap trinket that came as a "free" gift when you purchased the box it came in.

http://agnosticreview.com/freegift.htm

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#179728 Oct 12, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
Gift?
Nonsense!
An often quoted, and very effective line for producing converts to the cult of Jesus(Christianity) is as follows:
What is so hard about accepting a FREE gift of salvation from the Lord Jesus Christ?
It doesn't require anything on your part, but to accept it.
If this gift truly required nothing as the claim says, then you wouldn't have to accept it to be saved.
This line of reasoning is used repeatedly by those trolling for converts in schools, offices, on TV, and just about anywhere else you find an aggressive member of the cult of Jesus.
It's the same nonsense that is spewed and taught in Bible study classrooms in most churches.
It sounds wonderful doesn't it?
Everybody loves free gifts.
The problem is that the gift of salvation as taught in the Bible is anything but free.
It first requires that you perform a work. That work is believing Jesus is your Savior and that only he can serve as your intermediary with God.
Of course it also means that you accept all the baggage that goes along with that.
It means you accept as truth that this "God" will punish people for the "sin" of disbelief(Mark 16:16, John 16:9, John 3:18, John 3:36, Heb 3:12, 1 John 2:22), it requires that you worship a God who will provide infinite punishment for finite sins, and it requires that you accept a God with the behavior of a rather manipulative, power hungry, petty tyrant.
It means you must abandon your mind to save your soul.
You must confess Jesus is your Lord and worship him as such.
That act is a "work" in itself. Faith is also a work.
Make no mistake concerning the actual nature of this so-called "free" gift.
Salvation is exchanged for worship and it's nothing more than a holy barter system where you say the magic words and you are saved. On the surface it's cheap, easy, and painless. It appeals to anyone who doesn't want to be burdened with thinking for themselves, but it's in no sense "free".
This form of holy fire insurance is nothing more than false advertising and should be treated with the same regard one would have when he opens a box of Cracker Jacks and digs out the cheap trinket that came as a "free" gift when you purchased the box it came in.
http://agnosticreview.com/freegift.htm
You are mistaken on some of your assumptions there, particularly regarding the role of Jesus. You are letting the ideology of some sects of Christianity shade your thinking. You are stereotyping a major portion of the world population.

There is a translation and interpretation issue with that believeth in me and only way to heaven part of the scriptures. He essentially said if you believe in what he said about a benevolent God and there is an afterlife, then you can also have one. The I am the way, the truth, and the life are just derivations based on that. He was relating a vision and understanding, and evidently even performed some miracles from this link he developed. You could believe him or not. Up to you. It was the literalist thinkers later that turned him into a god and an idol. They changed the meaning and intents of the words. This has been understood for a long time. That is why you have the red words. Draw your own conclusions based upon your own understandings.

With words, literal thinkers go astray. Those scriptures are no different than any other ancient writings, including Plato or Egyptian records of history. You can't really know what was said because you lack the concepts of the times and the meanings of words of the times, that have been translated into whole different languages and contexts.

You have to read between the lines, and you have to have an understanding to comprehend and do such a thing.

This literalness leads to a lot of confusion and conflict, and thus disaffection. Cults and their proponents, including neo-atheism, play rope a dope with those disaffected.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#179729 Oct 12, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You are mistaken on some of your assumptions there, particularly regarding the role of Jesus. You are letting the ideology of some sects of Christianity shade your thinking. You are stereotyping a major portion of the world population.
There is a translation and interpretation issue with that believeth in me and only way to heaven part of the scriptures. He essentially said if you believe in what he said about a benevolent God and there is an afterlife, then you can also have one. The I am the way, the truth, and the life are just derivations based on that. He was relating a vision and understanding, and evidently even performed some miracles from this link he developed. You could believe him or not. Up to you. It was the literalist thinkers later that turned him into a god and an idol. They changed the meaning and intents of the words. This has been understood for a long time. That is why you have the red words. Draw your own conclusions based upon your own understandings.
With words, literal thinkers go astray. Those scriptures are no different than any other ancient writings, including Plato or Egyptian records of history. You can't really know what was said because you lack the concepts of the times and the meanings of words of the times, that have been translated into whole different languages and contexts.
You have to read between the lines, and you have to have an understanding to comprehend and do such a thing.
This literalness leads to a lot of confusion and conflict, and thus disaffection. Cults and their proponents, including neo-atheism, play rope a dope with those disaffected.
Creationism is a cult full of spineless liars with no proof of god.

Isn't that right Dave?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 6 min John Galt 1,152,942
What role do you think humans play in global wa... 29 min IBdaMann 2,654
Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 36 min JAX 201,148
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 1 hr Cpecker1313 306,948
UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 7 hr Bruin Nation 28,351
Should child beauty pageants be banned? 20 hr Roy the Boy 685
Conn's Appliances (Nov '07) 23 hr The Real Daniel S... 281