Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 243461 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“What's left to defend?”

Since: Jan 11

Freedom

#179691 Oct 11, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
No Doctor, free will means you have a choice.
Some make bad choices in life. They have to pay the consequences. Example the free will to start smoking. However long term smokers have to pay the pied piper in the end.
You are free to choose if you want to believe in God or if you don’t want to. What will be the consequence? To be determined. I say that because you have the right to change your mind right up to the very second you pass away.
I couldn't choose to believe in God anymore than I could choose to believe that the Earth is made of pudding.

The proof is in the pudding.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#179692 Oct 11, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
1 Kings 18:
20 So Ahab sent word throughout all Israel and assembled the prophets on Mount Carmel. 21 Elijah went before the people and said,“How long will you waver between two opinions? If the Lord is God, follow him; but if Baal is God, follow him.”
But the people said nothing.
22 Then Elijah said to them,“I am the only one of the Lord’s prophets left, but Baal has four hundred and fifty prophets. 23 Get two bulls for us. Let Baal’s prophets choose one for themselves, and let them cut it into pieces and put it on the wood but not set fire to it. I will prepare the other bull and put it on the wood but not set fire to it. 24 Then you call on the name of your god, and I will call on the name of the Lord. The god who answers by fire—he is God.”
Then all the people said,“What you say is good.”
25 Elijah said to the prophets of Baal,“Choose one of the bulls and prepare it first, since there are so many of you. Call on the name of your god, but do not light the fire.” 26 So they took the bull given them and prepared it.
Then they called on the name of Baal from morning till noon.“Baal, answer us!” they shouted. But there was no response; no one answered. And they danced around the altar they had made.
27 At noon Elijah began to taunt them.“Shout louder!” he said.“Surely he is a god! Perhaps he is deep in thought, or busy, or traveling. Maybe he is sleeping and must be awakened.” 28 So they shouted louder and slashed themselves with swords and spears, as was their custom, until their blood flowed. 29 Midday passed, and they continued their frantic prophesying until the time for the evening sacrifice. But there was no response, no one answered, no one paid attention.
30 Then Elijah said to all the people,“Come here to me.” They came to him, and he repaired the altar of the Lord, which had been torn down. 31 Elijah took twelve stones, one for each of the tribes descended from Jacob, to whom the word of the Lord had come, saying,“Your name shall be Israel.” 32 With the stones he built an altar in the name of the Lord, and he dug a trench around it large enough to hold two seahs[a] of seed. 33 He arranged the wood, cut the bull into pieces and laid it on the wood. Then he said to them,“Fill four large jars with water and pour it on the offering and on the wood.”
34 “Do it again,” he said, and they did it again.
“Do it a third time,” he ordered, and they did it the third time. 35 The water ran down around the altar and even filled the trench.
36 At the time of sacrifice, the prophet Elijah stepped forward and prayed:“Lord, the God of Abraham, Isaac and Israel, let it be known today that you are God in Israel and that I am your servant and have done all these things at your command. 37 Answer me, Lord, answer me, so these people will know that you, Lord, are God, and that you are turning their hearts back again.”
38 Then the fire of the Lord fell and burned up the sacrifice, the wood, the stones and the soil, and also licked up the water in the trench.
39 When all the people saw this, they fell prostrate and cried,“The Lord—he is God! The Lord—he is God!”
Oh!

So there is a different god for **each** brand of Genuine Christian™?

That actually makes sense!

40,000 **different** gods, EACH competing with the others....

... no **WONDER** no prayer EVER goes answered in a positive way.

That does explain it--thanks!

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#179693 Oct 11, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, Amen, in the mind and hearts.
And no where else.

Such as ... actual reality itself, where there are no gods of any sort.

Good!

You are finally getting it.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#179694 Oct 11, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry to hear it. It's almost all depressing news. I pretty much avoid listening any more except for watching Bill Maher's show.
Old Bill really does stick it to the hypocrites.

I suggest you give this one a listen. Stewart is at his best, and Ms Yousafzai is ... amazing.

Exclusive Malala Yousafzai Extended interview with Jon Stewart on the Daily Show

" http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/tue-october... ;

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#179695 Oct 11, 2013
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> Just not tiring enough for a pilgarlic like you to stay out of forums with the above title.
I would love to play scrabble with you :)

Location hidden

#179696 Oct 11, 2013
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> Just not tiring enough for a pilgarlic like you to stay out of forums with the above title.
This is a forum made for Atheists...is it confusing for you to understand that this is the forum that you are out of place in darlin... bring your opinions if you must, but mockery is to be expected from any Atheist on an Atheist forum.

Location hidden

#179697 Oct 11, 2013
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> If a gift is offered to you and you refuse it , who does it belong to? Now get back to awiting your fate.
No one likes invisible gifts.

Location hidden

#179698 Oct 11, 2013
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> You know the deal blackbaboon, except a man be born again he cannot see, spiritual things are spiritually discerned. Its a gift, wise people seek it.
Claiming something as a gift when it cannot sensed in any way and can't be proven to exist is literally insane.
blacklagoon

Revere, MA

#179699 Oct 11, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Some make bad choices in life. They have to pay the consequences. Example the free will to start smoking. However long term smokers have to pay the pied piper in the end.
You are free to choose if you want to believe in God or if you don’t want to. What will be the consequence? To be determined. I say that because you have the right to change your mind right up to the very second you pass away.
Correct, for those who believe in such nonsense, you do have a choice, However there are consequences involved, and some are very persuasive. "Follow this instruction by God or face eternal torment in lakes of fire." It's not much of a *free* choice given the alternative. My analogy stands. I put a gun to your head and tell you that you have free will to give me your wallet, but if you don't I'll kill you. How is that free will?

God knows what your going to do anyway, so that negates any idea of free will. The concept of free will was created by Theists to try and explain away all of the cruelty and evil that takes place. Kind of a very creative way to abdicate your demon God from any wrong doing. Thousand of children starving to death every day, and why isn't God doing anything to save these poor children? It's not Gods fault, it man's fault, he has *free will* and he chose to create a situation were children die of starvation. God's refusal to help is covered by the concept of free will, very nicely done Theists!!!!! Of course it's all complete and utter insanity as there is such thing as FREE WILL and no such things as GOD.

Location hidden

#179700 Oct 11, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Indeed.
It is one of several ways True Believers™ use to "justify" their programs of murder, mass-killing and worse.
After all-- unbelievers are not really human, right?
Just animals.. right?
... meh.
It absolutely makes me sick to read some of the things these people post. Insults are one thing, but to call someone sub-human simply because they do not share the same belief is disgusting. I can't imagine how they deal with people in real life.

Location hidden

#179701 Oct 11, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Merriam Webster Definition:

free will
noun

: the ability to choose how to act

: the ability to make choices that are not controlled by fate or God

Full Definition of FREE WILL
: voluntary choice or decision <I do this of my own free will>
: freedom of humans to make choices that are not determined by prior causes or by divine intervention

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#179702 Oct 11, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
What is your view on the pressure on the Washington Redskins to change their name?
They'll be yellow if they do. It would make me blue. It'll be a black eye on the face of the NFL. They'll end up red faced. What's next? No more pink flags?

I think it's a gray area.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#179703 Oct 11, 2013
I_see_you wrote:
<quoted text>
It absolutely makes me sick to read some of the things these people post. Insults are one thing, but to call someone sub-human simply because they do not share the same belief is disgusting. I can't imagine how they deal with people in real life.
It is likely they pretend to be "nice" in real life.

This seemingly anonymous place does bring out their True Colors, though.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#179704 Oct 11, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
According to our resident Atheist here on Topix. Atheism is the lack of belief in deities. If so animals are Atheist.
That would mean a cow is an Atheist and same goes for vegetables.
So when an Atheist sets down to have a meal, he/she is partaking in cannibalism? Eating another Atheist?
I’m just trying to make sense of it all. It just sounds so sick.
Your way of putting that all together doesn't make you sound very intelligent. An atheist is a human that has no beliefs in any deities. That is exactly what that word means and has always meant. Trying to force on people that have no belief in a deity, which no living or dead human being has ever known to exist, is actually a belief, or some sort of cult, is just not understanding a very simple English word. An atheist, other than not having a belief in any invisible deity, could have any of billions of other characteristics, but we do not know what any of those might be, simply from the word 'atheist'. All we know is they are not a believer in a deity.

Some do actually, likely, make a claim that they believe there are no deities, but I suspect most, if they are honest, would say they would not have any clue as to how to prove such a thing, since proving the non existence of something that doesn't exist, when we live on a tiny speck in a universe which is many light years wide, and we know there are other universes beyond ours, which we currently have no possible means of getting to, so to say that nothing exists and you can show proof of that is ignoring the fact that in some universe, not yet discovered, perhaps several million or billion light years away, there could conceivably be that which the person has no belief in.

Proof lies squarely on the shoulders of believers, and to this date in October 2013, not one little shred of proof of the existence of any deity has ever been presented by man to other men, in such a manner that all men would then know it to be true. It just hasn't happened, which should lead every believer to be very skeptical about what he believes, if we can assume he has the brain cells to do so.

What seems to be common amongst believers in deities, is that in topics relating to gods, and beliefs, they turn off their brains, which in humans are very highly developed, and some of these humans have accomplished amazing things by thinking and using their brains, yet believers, when faced with the actual fact of there not being any evidence at all of a deity, will set aside that fact, and believe anyway. I confess to having been in that group, myself, for 40 some years, until one day, which day I don't have a clue, it dawned on me, that I had been believing something that made no sense, defied all proven knowledge, and any claims made of the existence of these deities were all wishful thinking or outright lies. Probably two of the biggest liars, who became quite famous and successful at doing so, would be Muhammad and Joseph Smith. Two men who used deceit and lies to sway a whole group of people to believe in nonsense.

That is not intended as an attack on Muslims, or Mormons, but just a statement of my belief about those two individuals based on what I have learned of their history.

A similar thing occurred with Judaism and Christianity, but we do not have a clearly known historical figure to lay the blame on for those, but we do know very well that both Muhammad and Joseph Smith existed, and perpetrated lies on large groups of people.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#179705 Oct 11, 2013
I_see_you wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm curious to know if you are older or younger than me. I'm 32.
Gee, that is the very age I was when I quit milking cows for a living and that was more than 32 years ago, so you were not even born when I was a farmer. That makes one of us quite old.:(
Bongo

Westbury, NY

#179706 Oct 11, 2013
I_see_you wrote:
<quoted text>
Claiming something as a gift when it cannot sensed in any way and can't be proven to exist is literally insane.
I agree, its utter non sense to the carnal mind. Spiritual things are spiritually discerned. Many have the gift Many do not. Ever wonder why?
Bongo

Westbury, NY

#179707 Oct 11, 2013
I_see_you wrote:
<quoted text>
I would love to play scrabble with you :)
How about yahoo literati?

Location hidden

#179708 Oct 11, 2013
boooots wrote:
<quoted text> Gee, that is the very age I was when I quit milking cows for a living and that was more than 32 years ago, so you were not even born when I was a farmer. That makes one of us quite old.:(
hehehe...well I wouldn't say you were still young, but I used to take care of people much older than you, and they would have probably called you a young whippersnapper :)
Bongo

Westbury, NY

#179709 Oct 11, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Who is responsible for hell and Satan?
God is. Scripture says satan is judged and hes being dealt with. Meanwhile, the elect are a little lower than the angels

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#179710 Oct 11, 2013
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> How about yahoo literati?
How about right handed Mumblety-peg. I got a leg up on ya.

:-)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 7 min John Galt 1,252,049
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 11 hr Earthling-1 6,277
The Email Address Debacle: Did Hillary Do Somet... 11 hr GoGoGrandMaHillary 1,653
News Trail Blazers 'like what Tim Frazier brings' at... Sat Fartman 2
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) Sat tom wingo 29,828
News Giddens Leads New Mexico Over UNLV, 59-45 (Mar '08) Jul 2 Fartman 24
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Jun 30 KeS 201,820
More from around the web