Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 20 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Get it right”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#179600 Oct 10, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
I love you calling someone a ____bot, you who proudly stated you will respond to my every post. It is stunning how stupid you are. OK now respond wormmeatbot
Are you seriously scared of typing the letters god?
christINSANITY is EVIL

Windsor, Canada

#179601 Oct 10, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>

6) people like yourself would never cooperate for such experiment. as clearly seen here you people have no respect for sciences that say we do have souls, and I won't waste my time posting them
never know,
What scientific experiment can prove souls existence?

“ Knight Of Hyrule”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#179602 Oct 10, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, but math is the language we use to help us understand the world. We calculate the energy in a consistent way and we find that the results of that calculation are the same for different times. In other words, that computed quantity is conserved. The same works for momentum, angular momentum, charge, etc. For each, there are set ways to convert observations into calculations. And we find that the results of the calculations are consistent.
If you want to understand the universe, you need the language of mathematics.
Indeed, without some math we could never understand how big or small anything ever was.
Bongo

Nesconset, NY

#179603 Oct 10, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
There's that famous Christian misanthropy.
Everything that exists or happens is to the credit or shame of any omniscient, omnipotent creator. Is your god that?
Stop excusing your god's failures. He screwed up making the angels, he screwed up making man, and he screwed up when he tried to correct that screw up using the same breeding stock.
But Gods failures are better than the greatness of mortal man.

“ Knight Of Hyrule”

Location hidden

#179604 Oct 10, 2013
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> But Gods failures are better than the greatness of mortal man.
Gods failures are the basis of all human understanding.

“Get it right”

Location hidden

#179605 Oct 10, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Gods failures are the basis of all human understanding.
If there were an all-powerful god, then there would be neither god-successes nor god-failures; there would simple be god actions since everything would be done exactly as decried without possibility of deviation.

“ Knight Of Hyrule”

Location hidden

#179606 Oct 10, 2013
chance47 wrote:
<quoted text>
If there were an all-powerful god, then there would be neither god-successes nor god-failures; there would simple be god actions since everything would be done exactly as decried without possibility of deviation.
You forget where god lives.

In the mind of those who believe.

“Get it right”

Location hidden

#179607 Oct 10, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> You forget where god lives.
In the mind of those who believe.
Nice reminder.

But, I just made a simple If... then... statement.

Speaking of god-failures and god-successes is a pretty clear human projection. The only failures or successes are the ones where a believer's value system (arrogance?) passes some sort of judgemnt on events.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#179608 Oct 10, 2013
Bongo wrote:
Nope.

You?

You are a FINE example of God's "Success"...

... and you are a horrid and hate-filled example of bigotry.

So, I would say even your god's "success" was a miserable failure.

If **you** are an example of the species, that is...

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#179609 Oct 10, 2013
chance47 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep.

And that's proof enough, that there are no such things as gods.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#179610 Oct 10, 2013
Carchar king wrote:
<quoted text>
Tell me what God could've done to Hitler to prevent WW2
Nothing. God doesn't exist.
Bongo

Brentwood, NY

#179611 Oct 10, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope.
You?
You are a FINE example of God's "Success"...
... and you are a horrid and hate-filled example of bigotry.
So, I would say even your god's "success" was a miserable failure.
If **you** are an example of the species, that is...
How much hate could I have? God already foretold what happens to reprobates and unbelievers. don't hate the messenger because you hate the message.
Bongo

Brentwood, NY

#179612 Oct 10, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Nothing. God doesn't exist.
fibber, one legged atheist lesbian female fibber
blacklagoon

Revere, MA

#179613 Oct 10, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Letís see here, you live in Boston, right? And Boston was the scene of a terrorist act in which women, children, and good family men were killed by terrorist. Not to mention all those that were permanently injured.
"Good people will do GOOD things, evil people will do EVIL things, but to get a GOOD person to do EVIL things.....that takes religion."
If Iím reading you right Doctor. You are saying good people performed terrorist acts in the name of religion?
I donít think that comment will fly with your neighbors in Boston. Nor will it have merit with the 99.8% of the American population.
Too bad that didnít happen in Texas. Because your home boy Dzhokhar Tsarnaev would be facing the death penalty with a sterile needle. Then his body dumped in the dumpster in the back of the prison.
Holy shit, really? How many of those who flew the plane into the WTC were good men until religion poisoned their minds? Do you think they were born evil? Don't you think the promise of 700 virgins just might have made their decision a little easier?
There are many good people who behave horribly because of religion. The people that belong to the Westboro Baptist Church probably are loving parents, treat each other with dignity and respect, on every other level are most likely pillars for the community, but religion has poisoned their minds against homosexuals to the point were they force their way into the funerals for those killed in action holding signs that say..."THANK GOD FOR IED'S. The hatred they have for homosexuals is fueled every sunday by Rev, Felps.
The people who shoot doctors at abortion clinics where not born as murderers, religion saw to that.
We have a former President, a war hero, one of the bravest men ever, a good man, but because of religion he feels that Atheists should not be allowed to vote and do not deserve to be citizens of this country. I won't even go into that dark religiously inspired period called the Inquisition.
Your point is feeble, you pick one incident, a terrorists bombing by what you would consider bad men. They weren't always bad, religion made then do what they did. Once again "To get a good amn to do bad things, that takes religion.
blacklagoon

Revere, MA

#179614 Oct 10, 2013
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> fibber, one legged atheist lesbian female fibber
Lesbians ARE females, You're being redundant, if you're going to resort to insults at least try and be grammatically correct!!!!
blacklagoon

Revere, MA

#179615 Oct 10, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
I will answer your 8 questions, from post #179508 on page 8616 . Again, I all ready know you are not respectfully asking these questions. I have all ready noted your are soulless, therefore your condescending comments only displays your sub human ways.
1) An energy that travels as it wishes, frequently choosing to host a human body
2) yes, an energy with in you
3) No, unless you want to call many people a liar
4) the soul enters the pregnant woman, some have reported dream.
5) Just not enough energy to support all of the universes intelligent life.
6) people like yourself would never cooperate for such experiment. as clearly seen here you people have no respect for sciences that say we do have souls, and I won't waste my time posting them
7) The soul lives another life after this life
8) I do think that is possible
I'm looking for just a bit more clarification here.

1.) Is there something or someone guiding this energy? Something or someone must guide this energy into a human body.

2.) If this energy is physically a part of the human body why can't it be detected by neuroscience?

3.) So it ONLY enters pregnant women? Can it enter a man? Do you think that someone having a dream validates your theory on souls?

4.) Who gets to decide which of us gets a soul? Someone has to left out since there is not enough energy for all intelligent beings? What if the people who do everything that is required to get a soul, but there is simply NOT enough energy to go around? Thanks for your answers
blacklagoon

Revere, MA

#179616 Oct 10, 2013
Bongo wrote:
Thanks for admitting your God is NOT omnipotent, who knew!!!!

Of course when you really consider some of his creations it's not hard to see how many failures he's had. Like the late great George Carlin said about God and his ineptness. "In any other decently run universe this guy would have bee thrown out on his ass a long time ago."
blacklagoon

Revere, MA

#179617 Oct 10, 2013
Carchar king wrote:
<quoted text>
Tell me what God could've done to Hitler to prevent WW2
How about every time a German soldier touched any kind of weapon, it immediately heated to 1000 degrees. Guns, tanks, ships, planes, every thing that could be used as a weapon. He could do this for the Allies as well. No weapons, no war, easy. Could your God do something like this if he wanted?

It's actually an old Star Trek bit.

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#179618 Oct 10, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
I will answer your 8 questions, from post #179508 on page 8616 . Again, I all ready know you are not respectfully asking these questions. I have all ready noted your are soulless, therefore your condescending comments only displays your sub human ways.
1) An energy that travels as it wishes, frequently choosing to host a human body
2) yes, an energy with in you
3) No, unless you want to call many people a liar
4) the soul enters the pregnant woman, some have reported dream.
5) Just not enough energy to support all of the universes intelligent life.
7) The soul lives another life after this life
8) I do think that is possible
Sub-human... seriously???? lol

“In God we trust”

Since: Dec 12

Cape Town, South Africa

#179620 Oct 10, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>You only have two choices here;
1.) Your God is omnipotent and has the power to eliminate all evil in the world
2.) Your God is NOT omnipotent and cannot eliminate all of the evil in the world.
If number one is true then you God is cruel beyond belief. He's nothing more than an immoral barbaric war lord who is unwilling to eliminate gratuitous suffering. You are more compassionate and moral than the God you worship. If you came across a someone about to be brutally murdered, and you had the power to stop such a crime without any possible harm to yourself, would you? If you saw a small child dying of starvation, would you not offer it food and drink? Would you, as a decent human being, go out of your way to assist someone in need, especially if it was of absolutely no inconvenience to you? If you can answer yes to any of these, and I'm quite sure you would, then you have just proven how much more compassionate and moral you are than the God you worship/
If number two is true, then your God is completely useless.
In my original post I never mentioned God stopping WW2, or for that matter stopping any wars. I asked why your GOD who is supposed to answer prayers, never answered those of the millions of Jews during the holocaust.
Well, let's see, did you forget free will, man has the power to do whatever they want, if a human chooses to murder, is that God's fault?

For example, if you murdered someone, would you blame God for what YOU done, now WW2.

God has his reasons, I ask again, do you think a event as huge as that God will stop over night?

God has his reasons, now disease.

I would like to say humans put this on themselves. Gays, and yes gays, for sleeping together created mankind's worst disease, AIDs.

Now that's one of course man is looking for a cure which is out there somewhere, diseases like Cancer God allows to happen but doesn't make it happen, God made a medicine for every disease on this planet, but us, Humans decided they don't want to help the poor countries. God saved many babies but because humans refused to listing to God.

I think Humans are to blame for Earth's havoc, especially since they didn't want to follow God's instructions since Adam and Eve.

I repeated things so you atheists can see.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 9 min shinningelectr0n 1,224,386
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 16 hr tom wingo 29,725
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 22 hr Pearl Jam 309,755
How to Recover Deleted or lost Contacts from Sa... Apr 29 Sauck freedom 6
News Freshman Jonah Bolden declared ineligible for U... (Sep '14) Apr 29 tom wingo 4
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) Apr 27 TerryE 5,306
News Kecoughtan High teacher resigns after drug charges (Nov '07) Apr 25 Yogurt Nads 82
More from around the web