Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story
Imhotep

Sevierville, TN

#179419 Oct 8, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Indeed.
What you just posted pretty much destroys any and all TV preachers, no matter how nice they may have seemed....
;)
Here, people are rather irreligious.
It is a culture shock 4 sure. USA is viewed as backward in many ways, in spite of, military superiority.

We are getting used to hi-speed rail and public transport.
Very efficient.

People with no theistic beliefs never feel the need to conquer those who have them. We never assemble huge atheistic armies to kill those whose beliefs we do not believe.

We do not march door to door to tell total strangers how bizarre and silly their religions are.

Too bad this courtesy is not returned.

It is true that it is difficult to get any two atheists to agree on whether to capitalize the word ďGodĒ but I doubt there are any, anywhere, who would call for pistols at dawn to settle the dispute!

Atheists donít kill because of atheism. If they kill, it is for some other reason. The very idea of ďAtheist WarsĒ is so preposterous it makes one laugh.

But the idea of Christian wars and Muslim wars and Jewish wars is not only believable but quite real and with us today.

“Robert Stevens”

Since: Dec 08

Jersey City , NJ

#179420 Oct 8, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
It's your mental illness that prevents you from confronting the fact that your're a simple minded religious liar with no evidence to back up any of what you say
May Americans never be subject to atheist tolerance. Your opinion as stated, is the reason I wil never vote for an atheist.

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#179421 Oct 8, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>
"There is a lot of evidence. I am not even going to waste my time posting it."
This from your post #179090. You claim to have evidence for souls but you are to cowardly to share this evidence. Could it be that is does not exist? Why don't you let ME decide if this book is beyond my comprehension. So post the title of the book and be prepared to post the evidence found therein, otherwise your just another moonbat claiming that which cannot be proven. I can wait!!!!
I have posted titles of books. If you choose the New Age route, hypnotherapy go with destiny of Souls and Journey of Souls. I think you would be best off going the Buddhist way and for that you could browse your book store and select what grabs you. I am not kidding, I must have mentioned this at least 5 times all ready. The truth is you most likely just don't get it, as I said. I believe you, you don't have a soul.

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#179422 Oct 8, 2013
<quoted text>
No-- I never did such a thing, because it never happened.
I was never catholic, for starters.
Can you locate this mythical "admission" you are lying about?
No?
We thought as much-- lying is your stock-and-trade.
Interesting response, no one said you were a Catholic. I use the term clergy to be general, as you were when you said you were molested. The best part of the statement was some other atheist applauded you for stepping forward, and said "No Christians would have the guts to come forward here as you were." and you just took that compliment, then leader you bobbed the statement, as Bobbing Bobby does.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#179423 Oct 8, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> To us it means this...and this only.
Cosmology is the study of the origins and eventual fate of the universe. Physical cosmology is the scholarly and scientific study of the origin, evolution, structure, dynamics, and ultimate fate of the universe, as well as the natural laws that keep it in order.
Now you can paint the word with a wide brush, but all other meaning to us are...... meaningless.
The scholarly and scientific study of the origin, evolution, structure, dynamics, and ultimate fate of the universe.
Note the key words here. scholarly and scientific.
I left a reference on the definition of cosmology, which came from encyclopedia project Wikipedia.

Wikipedia is the most widely used encyclopedia in the entire world. And Wikipedia uses the word philosophy in describing the so called science of cosmology. Iím very sorry this is disappointing news for Atheist.

But this is how the entire world views cosmology. Itís right up there with Astrology and Palm Readers. And any so called discovery these cosmologist claim has a nil impact on our modern society.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#179424 Oct 8, 2013
<quoted text>
You still got no answer for your god's evil behavior, then?
Okay.
What can I say Bob, he has been good to me. I'm not complaining.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#179425 Oct 8, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I left a reference on the definition of cosmology, which came from encyclopedia project Wikipedia.
Wikipedia is the most widely used encyclopedia in the entire world. And Wikipedia uses the word philosophy in describing the so called science of cosmology. Iím very sorry this is disappointing news for Atheist.
But this is how the entire world views cosmology. Itís right up there with Astrology and Palm Readers. And any so called discovery these cosmologist claim has a nil impact on our modern society.
Well for people like you, but then again everybody can't be smart.
We have to have people like you too!

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#179426 Oct 8, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
They are philosophers. They don't have any real hands on experimentation with the rest of the universe, just assumptions based upon observations here, and even some of those observations can be called into question for absolute accuracy. They are no different than those that base cosmological beliefs on religious beliefs they read in a book. Textbooks are always being revised. Much quicker and more often than religious textbooks I will add.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =0f6SlUU8ikMXX
BTW, the above is for your musical education, one of the latest by Buckethead, who, I will point out, has an exponentially much greater presence on the internet and written history than your self perceived illustrious self. His influence on society is 10^5 greater than yours, tried and true, proven by acceptance and sales. It is a no brainer he has more talent than you. Listen to the man and learn.
Next trip to the park, take some boiled peanuts. Give the squirrels a change of pace and something new.
Is blacklagoon david bowie or something?

Good song though. One of the most useful things you've ever done on this forum.

Location hidden

#179427 Oct 8, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
For what may be the 20th time, I will explain this to you.(you) are and atheist, you do not believe in souls.
1) Is it because you have none.
I think that is most likely.
2) You just don't want to admit you do have one.
3) You fear the suggestion of a post life trial.
My beliefs is it really is not that bad, but I don't know your story, and I am not asking.
4) The books involved may be beyond your comprehension.
This is not as insulting as you may think. Books of this nature are complex.
You asking me this shows your disrespect for the topic. If you really did want this knowledge you would go buy one of the many books that will teach you this. It is a different culture, which is why answer #4 would very likely apply. For me to post a two plus paragraph answer would be my disrespecting the topic, and I do believe that is your goal. If you don't get what I just told you. You really should read more books, and do start with what you find to be your cup of tea.
Lol. It must be intoxicating to believe that you are privy to some kind of mystical, life and death knowledge gleaned from these books of yours. I think that's one of the main draws of religion - it allows otherwise simple people to believe that they have the upper hand intellectually via some "secret knowledge."

Also - why in the world do you guys constantly suggest that your ideas about the afterlife are scary? I can meet up with my loved ones in the afterlife and all I have to do is pray to the correct deity? How in the world is that scary?

Location hidden

#179428 Oct 8, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>
"There is a lot of evidence. I am not even going to waste my time posting it."
This from your post #179090. You claim to have evidence for souls but you are to cowardly to share this evidence. Could it be that is does not exist? Why don't you let ME decide if this book is beyond my comprehension. So post the title of the book and be prepared to post the evidence found therein, otherwise your just another moonbat claiming that which cannot be proven. I can wait!!!!
Haha.

"I have proof for souls!"

"Ok..."

"Read more books!"

Ludicrous.

Location hidden

#179429 Oct 8, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you will find this definition of cosmology rather interesting. Notice the word ďphilosophersĒ repeated throughout the definition.
Wiki:
Cosmology is the study of the origins and eventual fate of the universe. Physical cosmology is the scholarly and scientific study of the origin, evolution, structure, dynamics, and ultimate fate of the universe, as well as the natural laws that keep it in order.
[1] Religious cosmology (or mythological cosmology) is a body of beliefs based on the historical, mythological, religious, and esoteric literature and traditions of creation and eschatology.
Physical cosmology is studied by scientists, such as astronomers, and theoretical physicists; and academic philosophers, such as metaphysicians, philosophers of physics, and philosophers of space and time.
Modern cosmology is dominated by the Big Bang theory, which attempts to bring together observational astronomy and particle physics.[2]
Although the word cosmology is recent (first used in 1730 in Christian Wolff's Cosmologia Generalis), the study of the universe has a long history involving science, philosophy, esotericism and religion. Related studies include cosmogony, which focuses on the origin of the Universe, and cosmography, which maps the features of the Universe. Cosmology is also connected to astronomy, but while the former is concerned with the Universe as a whole, the latter deals with individual celestial objects.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmology
Do you like... not know how to read?

Location hidden

#179430 Oct 8, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
Let me give you the common manís definition of a philosopher Doctor.
Philosopher: One who orates BS, one who dreams nonsense, while smoking dope, blows smoke circles out his @ss, One who fabricates fictitious beliefs based on science of imagination, a vain cult leader with a cult following.
Doctor, my good Doctor, cosmology is full of Philosophers and cult leaders. Itís right up there with astrology and palm readers.
You can keep following your cult leaders Doctor. I won't think less of you.
For real. The universe is 1AU wide, tops.

Location hidden

#179431 Oct 8, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
I have posted titles of books. If you choose the New Age route, hypnotherapy go with destiny of Souls and Journey of Souls. I think you would be best off going the Buddhist way and for that you could browse your book store and select what grabs you. I am not kidding, I must have mentioned this at least 5 times all ready. The truth is you most likely just don't get it, as I said. I believe you, you don't have a soul.
So... any proof outside of kooky books designed to trick the gullible out of their cash?

Location hidden

#179432 Oct 8, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you aware that different disciplines can fall under the same blanket term? You're being ridiculous. It would be like if I claimed that all of science was invalid because once upon a time blood letting was scientific.
blacklagoon

Revere, MA

#179434 Oct 8, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you will find this definition of cosmology rather interesting. Notice the word ďphilosophersĒ repeated throughout the definition.
Wiki:
[1] Religious cosmology (or mythological cosmology) is a body of beliefs based on the historical, mythological, religious, and esoteric literature and traditions of creation and eschatology.
Physical cosmology is studied by scientists, such as astronomers, and theoretical physicists; and academic philosophers, such as metaphysicians, philosophers of physics, and philosophers of space and time.
Modern cosmology is dominated by the Big Bang theory, which attempts to bring together observational astronomy and particle physics.[2]
Although the word cosmology is recent (first used in 1730 in Christian Wolff's Cosmologia Generalis), the study of the universe has a long history involving science, philosophy, esotericism and religion. Related studies include cosmogony, which focuses on the origin of the Universe, and cosmography, which maps the features of the Universe. Cosmology is also connected to astronomy, but while the former is concerned with the Universe as a whole, the latter deals with individual celestial objects.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmology
You'll also notice how many different applications there are for the word THEORY. Germ theory, the theory of evolution, the theory of gravity, and my favorite MUSIC THEORY. There is a huge difference between music theory and the theory of evolution. The definition of cosmology by itself involved no philosophical component. And I did notice that the study of the universe often involves philosophy and religion, but not when studies by scientists who's only interests are the evolution, structure, dynamics, and the ultimate fate of the universe. But I give you credit for all the hard work you did trying to insert philosophy into the study of cosmology, and reduce one of the smartest men on the planet into a pot smoking speculative dreamer. Very nice try!!!!
blacklagoon

Revere, MA

#179435 Oct 8, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
Let me give you the common manís definition of a philosopher Doctor.
Philosopher: One who orates BS, one who dreams nonsense, while smoking dope, blows smoke circles out his @ss, One who fabricates fictitious beliefs based on science of imagination, a vain cult leader with a cult following.
Doctor, my good Doctor, cosmology is full of Philosophers and cult leaders. Itís right up there with astrology and palm readers.
You can keep following your cult leaders Doctor. I won't think less of you.
You keep doing this, over and over again. Here you think you are being facetious in describing philosophy when you have just given an extremely accurate description of a Theists, or yourself. "One who dreams nonsense"......There is an invisible being who scooped up a handful of dirt, blew on it and out popped a fully formed human male. "One who fabricates fictitious beliefs based on imagination"........There is a magical place where you can go after you die, sit on a pink cloud playing a harp and visiting with uncle louie and aunt bernice. "A vain cult leader".......Your vain cult leader is named God. He is so vain that the first commandments involve his sense of vanity, and all you have to do to piss him off is to intrude on his vanity. And of course there is a huge cult following, a death cult to be exact. A death cult were its members can't wait to die and sample the soft fluffy pink clouds.

You seem to have a real knack for trying to discredit one area but end up describing perfectly you or your delusional beliefs. Good job!!!!
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#179436 Oct 8, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>You'll also notice how many different applications there are for the word THEORY. Germ theory, the theory of evolution, the theory of gravity, and my favorite MUSIC THEORY. There is a huge difference between music theory and the theory of evolution. The definition of cosmology by itself involved no philosophical component. And I did notice that the study of the universe often involves philosophy and religion, but not when studies by scientists who's only interests are the evolution, structure, dynamics, and the ultimate fate of the universe. But I give you credit for all the hard work you did trying to insert philosophy into the study of cosmology, and reduce one of the smartest men on the planet into a pot smoking speculative dreamer. Very nice try!!!!
Why thank you Doctor, I do try hard. I donít know Stephen Hawkings. But I do think he is nothing more than a school mascot. They probably carry him out on poles before Cricket Games. Cheers and team spirit and all that stuff.

After he passes on from this life they probably will still carry him out on the field to rally team support. Iím not into cosmology and astrology. And all the other philosophical sciences. But I have made my point and I thank your for your time.[Tipping Hat].

One more thing, Music Theory get's into some deep stuff so I'm told. I'm not a music person like my son is. When I was in the second grade we had a teacher that would thump our heads with a thimble if we were singing off key. My bone head was always getting the hardest thumping. It hurts thinking about it today.
blacklagoon

Revere, MA

#179437 Oct 8, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes you have posted your chosen books on fantasy and magical beliefs, but you haven't, and most likely never will, post anything meaningful. I will on occasion read the kinds of books you suggest, but do that for fun, not to gather factual information, for that I read books written by scientists. For volcanos and earthquake, I read books by geologists, for the universe and celestial events, i read books by cosmologist's and astronomers. For evolution, books by evolutionary biologists. For the existence of souls..........errr...ahhh.... ...seems as though there are NO books written by science on the existence of souls, most likely because like those who believe in God it is something only imagined. You're right I don't have a soul and neither do you, or anyone else on the planet. Verifiable evidence is a wonderful thing, it shows what is actually real and what is only imagined.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#179438 Oct 8, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Why thank you Doctor, I do try hard. I donít know Stephen Hawkings. But I do think he is nothing more than a school mascot. They probably carry him out on poles before Cricket Games. Cheers and team spirit and all that stuff.
After he passes on from this life they probably will still carry him out on the field to rally team support. Iím not into cosmology and astrology. And all the other philosophical sciences. But I have made my point and I thank your for your time.[Tipping Hat].
One more thing, Music Theory get's into some deep stuff so I'm told. I'm not a music person like my son is. When I was in the second grade we had a teacher that would thump our heads with a thimble if we were singing off key. My bone head was always getting the hardest thumping. It hurts thinking about it today.
Well that certainly explains your brain damage and underachievement issues.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#179439 Oct 8, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Are you aware that different disciplines can fall under the same blanket term? You're being ridiculous. It would be like if I claimed that all of science was invalid because once upon a time blood letting was scientific.
We were of course talking about cosmology. I think in your case it would be better if you understood cosmetology first. Before you delve into the more complex philosophical stuff. Then gradually we could ease you into understanding cosmology and astrology.

This is all more complex than the ins and outs of the porn business you're involved in.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 6 min Incognito4Ever 1,155,819
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 1 hr Phil Donahue 307,074
How to Recover Deleted or lost Contacts from Sa... 3 hr best bet 2
What role do you think humans play in global wa... 4 hr Earthling-1 2,738
UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 7 hr Bruin For Life 28,455
UConn vs. Duke Monday night 9pm ESPN2 17 hr ivyawe 1
Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 23 hr Bently 201,187
More from around the web