Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
171,741 - 171,760 of 225,586 Comments Last updated 17 min ago

“Robert Stevens”

Since: Dec 08

Jersey City , NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 2, 2013

Judged:

timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>So, infinite force, what's your take on this?
I would suggest souls are infinite forces.
Thinking

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 2, 2013

Why?
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 2, 2013

Judged:

blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>His parents are guilty of a very subtle form of child abuse. The really caring parent lets the child make up his or her own mind about what to believe in. They let the child reach the age of reason, teach them about critical thinking, and then let the child decide if the evidence warrants the belief. Brainwashing even with the best of intensions, is still irresponsible. Forcing a belief on the unformed mind should really be a crime. You brag about your grandchild being brainwashed when you should be terribly concerned and embarrassed at the damage your child is infliction on his/her child
We try Doctor, we try really hard to instill the good word of the Lord. Arenít you proud of me?
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 2, 2013

Judged:

-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Brainwashing children towards your mentally ill cult is child abuse, pure and simple.
This is how you create drones which don't question evidence. Your cult has had a lot of practice in breaking the human psyche from birth.
And yet it still fails as many people wake up to the lies in this scientific day and age.
When governments make it a crime to psychologically abuse children in this way, humanity will become a safer, saner place to live.
Write your congressman. Lol
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 2, 2013

Judged:

blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>His parents are guilty of a very subtle form of child abuse. The really caring parent lets the child make up his or her own mind about what to believe in. They let the child reach the age of reason, teach them about critical thinking, and then let the child decide if the evidence warrants the belief. Brainwashing even with the best of intensions, is still irresponsible. Forcing a belief on the unformed mind should really be a crime. You brag about your grandchild being brainwashed when you should be terribly concerned and embarrassed at the damage your child is infliction on his/her child
I'm so proud of them Doctor. We're making so much progress, lol.

“Robert Stevens”

Since: Dec 08

Jersey City , NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 2, 2013

Judged:

blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Holy shit, this is like listening to a conversation between two 6 years olds talking about spiderman and superman. Too funny!!!!
Look at what we are capable of doing. As we speak, we are attempting to Turns Mars into a planet that could support life. With DNA there is now talk about bringing back animals that don't exist. You are into this evolution thing, so you say. Without some sort of help, we could never defeat the reptiles. These animals grow with every calorie. You could have the Dinosaurs fall, which really was unlikely if you look all over. Reptiles would overcome mammals. Just imagine what if The Hippo started wandering and evolving. I am pretty sure life without humans, that would happen.
Thinking

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 2, 2013

If your god was all powerful you wouldn't be required to do that.
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
We try Doctor, we try really hard to instill the good word of the Lord. Arenít you proud of me?
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 2, 2013

Judged:

I think Atheist from all over the world should get together and come up with their own secret handshake, lol.

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/fafbe59811/h...
blacklagoon

Revere, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 2, 2013

Judged:

Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I was exposed both to Atheism and Christ early in my life. My Father was a strong Atheist and had one of the most brilliant minds I will ever know. I loved him dearly and still do even though he has crossed over to the other side.
Iím one of the few people exposed to both unbelief and belief in my life early on. In my journey in this life I found out there was indeed a God. A unseen being that is real as you or I. I taught my children about God. Both are very successful career people with their own families.
Theyíre both well educated and one has a career path in music, a fellow trumpeter. He also has two graduate degrees. The other a very successful surgical nurse with a astounding family business that is growing at a incredible rate. So my children also have done well and are extremely blessed.
The phrase of ďbrain washing,Ē as you describe it, comes from the cold war. Itís interesting you donít claim to have brain washed but gave instruction to your children. I have done the same Doctor. But really I donít care if people call it brain washing. Some brains need to be washed clean.
I'm sure you raised your children with love and compassion, but you didn't show them the importance of critical thinking. Node did you instill in them how important skepticism is, for unless we question EVERYTHING we can NEVER know if something is really true. Excepting things just because someone says they are true can lead to all sorts of problems.

All children need to be guided and taught certain things that are important. The trick is to find out what is really important for them. There is no benefit to teaching them about a God. There is NOTHING a Theists can do that a non-believer can't do, so why add the extra baggage? You pass on this belief because you believe it, you never gave your children, as I did, a chance to investigate on their own and draw their own conclusions. Young children's brains are like a sponge, they soak up everything, so when you force a belief on them you have in fact brainwashed them, That is the very definition of brainwashing, forcing ideas into one head.

I NEVER told my children there was no God. When they asked if God was real, I asked them what they thought. I told them about how science works and taught them how to go about investigating a claim. I can remember terming them, "If you want to know if God exists then read about all of the Gods and all of the religions and see which, if any, seem reasonable to you"

Trips to the local science museum was there favorite, it was there they learned about the facts of evolution.The Planetarium taught them about the universe and how stars and planets were formed. So much more insightful and informative than...An invisible being snapped it's fingers and all that there is suddenly sprang into existence.

Religion is NOT important. Reason, logic, critical thinking, skepticism, understanding science, these are what are truly important. Like this:........"To be scientifically literate is to empower yourself to know when someone else is full of shit." or......"Science adjusts it's views based on what is observed, religious faith is the denial of observation so that a belief can be preserved."
Thinking

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 2, 2013

Why?
Eagle 12 wrote:
I think Atheist from all over the world should get together and come up with their own secret handshake, lol.
http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/fafbe59811/h...
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 2, 2013

Thinking wrote:
Why?
<quoted text>
Unity, Brotherhood, Vatos.
blacklagoon

Revere, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 2, 2013

Judged:

Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
Look at what we are capable of doing. As we speak, we are attempting to Turns Mars into a planet that could support life. With DNA there is now talk about bringing back animals that don't exist. You are into this evolution thing, so you say. Without some sort of help, we could never defeat the reptiles. These animals grow with every calorie. You could have the Dinosaurs fall, which really was unlikely if you look all over. Reptiles would overcome mammals. Just imagine what if The Hippo started wandering and evolving. I am pretty sure life without humans, that would happen.
What in the hell are you babbling about? You really have the mind of a child. NO we are NOT attempting to turn Mars into a Planet that could support life, who ever said that?

Hippos ARE evolving just as every living things is still evolving. Do you think evolution reaches some point and stops? You speak like a child, your knowledge of the world around you is that of a child, holy shit educate yourself will ya!!!!!
Thinking

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 2, 2013

So you don't like individualism?

Was your jesus a conformist?
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Unity, Brotherhood, Vatos.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 2, 2013

Judged:

blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>I'm sure you raised your children with love and compassion, but you didn't show them the importance of critical thinking. Node did you instill in them how important skepticism is, for unless we question EVERYTHING we can NEVER know if something is really true. Excepting things just because someone says they are true can lead to all sorts of problems.
All children need to be guided and taught certain things that are important. The trick is to find out what is really important for them. There is no benefit to teaching them about a God. There is NOTHING a Theists can do that a non-believer can't do, so why add the extra baggage? You pass on this belief because you believe it, you never gave your children, as I did, a chance to investigate on their own and draw their own conclusions. Young children's brains are like a sponge, they soak up everything, so when you force a belief on them you have in fact brainwashed them, That is the very definition of brainwashing, forcing ideas into one head.
I NEVER told my children there was no God. When they asked if God was real, I asked them what they thought. I told them about how science works and taught them how to go about investigating a claim. I can remember terming them, "If you want to know if God exists then read about all of the Gods and all of the religions and see which, if any, seem reasonable to you"
Trips to the local science museum was there favorite, it was there they learned about the facts of evolution.The Planetarium taught them about the universe and how stars and planets were formed. So much more insightful and informative than...An invisible being snapped it's fingers and all that there is suddenly sprang into existence.
Religion is NOT important. Reason, logic, critical thinking, skepticism, understanding science, these are what are truly important. Like this:........"To be scientifically literate is to empower yourself to know when someone else is full of shit." or......"Science adjusts it's views based on what is observed, religious faith is the denial of observation so that a belief can be preserved."
Oneís religious heritage means nothing perhaps to you and I understand why you have no need for it. To me it is a part of my families culture and heritage that goes back thousands of years.

You know this year was the first time I had taken the time to watch ďRoots,Ē from the beginning to the end. Even though Iím not African American I enjoyed the historical trace this man made to find his Roots in Africa.

Our history is every much about who we are as people. When we lose our historical connection to the past we have lost part of ourselves.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 2, 2013

Judged:

Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I beg to differ, A infant has not developed the mental capacity to understand Atheism. This Atheism is a learned ideology.
Lie.

Atheism is simply no faith in supernatural bullshyt.

That's it.

Babies, by definition, have no faith in supernatural bullshyt.

They are, therefore, atheists.

It is as simple as that-- you **must** force-feed the bullshyt-- daily-- to damage an infant's mind into believing in the bullshyt.

Why do you think so many godbots baptize babies? Or at least "dedicate" them shortly after birth?

They **must** begin the damage early--or the natural skeptical child will reject the bullshyt.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 2, 2013

Judged:

Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Fence post donít believe in deities either.
Just ask one.
Correct. Neither do dogs.

Both are atheists--the default position.

There's nothing special about being an atheist--- it is the base position if you eliminate all the supernatural bullshyt.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 2, 2013

Judged:

timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>I don't have a belief system. For some reason, your worldview rests on the assumption that everyone must have an unshakable "belief" in something that is utterly ludicrous. I have ideas - but I will never say I believe something, because once I do that, I lose the ability to change my mind.
Exactly!

To hold a position based on **facts** and **evidence**, permits one to change said position, if more details come forth.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 2, 2013

Judged:

Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
First?

You must prove these "soul" thingys are real things.

You have not done that-- in fact?

You did not even try.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 2, 2013

Judged:

Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Fence post donít believe in deities either.
Just ask one.
Keep backpedaling, ace...you know you've lost.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 2, 2013

Judged:

Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Lose the ability to change your mind?
You will never say you believe something?
This post of yours is known as RAB.(Random Access Babbling).
Son you need a serious reboot.
No, it's known as not being an idiot. Saying that you "believe" something means that you blind yourself from any other possibility. I think that certain things are right and certain things are wrong, and I obviously have my own worldview, but I will never let myself succumb to the disease of belief. Your belief in god is so strong that literally nothing could change your mind. Do you think that's a good thing? It's absurd.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 7 min Lily Boca Raton Fl 1,095,514
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 1 hr cpeter1313 305,385
UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 5 hr Bruin For Life 26,967
I got my loan from stephenloanhelp@hotmail.com (May '13) Tue RICK SERVICE 28
loan needed (Dec '13) Aug 12 Simon 5
loan offer (Jun '13) Aug 10 Tram 81
Na Aug 9 rrg cgr 1

Search the NCAA Basketball Forum:
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••