Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 20 comments on the Jul 18, 2009, Webbunny tumblelog story titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Thinking

UK

#179051 Oct 2, 2013
Why?
Eagle 12 wrote:
I think Atheist from all over the world should get together and come up with their own secret handshake, lol.
http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/fafbe59811/h...
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#179052 Oct 2, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Why?
<quoted text>
Unity, Brotherhood, Vatos.
blacklagoon

Revere, MA

#179053 Oct 2, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
Look at what we are capable of doing. As we speak, we are attempting to Turns Mars into a planet that could support life. With DNA there is now talk about bringing back animals that don't exist. You are into this evolution thing, so you say. Without some sort of help, we could never defeat the reptiles. These animals grow with every calorie. You could have the Dinosaurs fall, which really was unlikely if you look all over. Reptiles would overcome mammals. Just imagine what if The Hippo started wandering and evolving. I am pretty sure life without humans, that would happen.
What in the hell are you babbling about? You really have the mind of a child. NO we are NOT attempting to turn Mars into a Planet that could support life, who ever said that?

Hippos ARE evolving just as every living things is still evolving. Do you think evolution reaches some point and stops? You speak like a child, your knowledge of the world around you is that of a child, holy shit educate yourself will ya!!!!!
Thinking

UK

#179054 Oct 2, 2013
So you don't like individualism?

Was your jesus a conformist?
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Unity, Brotherhood, Vatos.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#179055 Oct 2, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>I'm sure you raised your children with love and compassion, but you didn't show them the importance of critical thinking. Node did you instill in them how important skepticism is, for unless we question EVERYTHING we can NEVER know if something is really true. Excepting things just because someone says they are true can lead to all sorts of problems.
All children need to be guided and taught certain things that are important. The trick is to find out what is really important for them. There is no benefit to teaching them about a God. There is NOTHING a Theists can do that a non-believer can't do, so why add the extra baggage? You pass on this belief because you believe it, you never gave your children, as I did, a chance to investigate on their own and draw their own conclusions. Young children's brains are like a sponge, they soak up everything, so when you force a belief on them you have in fact brainwashed them, That is the very definition of brainwashing, forcing ideas into one head.
I NEVER told my children there was no God. When they asked if God was real, I asked them what they thought. I told them about how science works and taught them how to go about investigating a claim. I can remember terming them, "If you want to know if God exists then read about all of the Gods and all of the religions and see which, if any, seem reasonable to you"
Trips to the local science museum was there favorite, it was there they learned about the facts of evolution.The Planetarium taught them about the universe and how stars and planets were formed. So much more insightful and informative than...An invisible being snapped it's fingers and all that there is suddenly sprang into existence.
Religion is NOT important. Reason, logic, critical thinking, skepticism, understanding science, these are what are truly important. Like this:........"To be scientifically literate is to empower yourself to know when someone else is full of shit." or......"Science adjusts it's views based on what is observed, religious faith is the denial of observation so that a belief can be preserved."
Oneís religious heritage means nothing perhaps to you and I understand why you have no need for it. To me it is a part of my families culture and heritage that goes back thousands of years.

You know this year was the first time I had taken the time to watch ďRoots,Ē from the beginning to the end. Even though Iím not African American I enjoyed the historical trace this man made to find his Roots in Africa.

Our history is every much about who we are as people. When we lose our historical connection to the past we have lost part of ourselves.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#179056 Oct 2, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I beg to differ, A infant has not developed the mental capacity to understand Atheism. This Atheism is a learned ideology.
Lie.

Atheism is simply no faith in supernatural bullshyt.

That's it.

Babies, by definition, have no faith in supernatural bullshyt.

They are, therefore, atheists.

It is as simple as that-- you **must** force-feed the bullshyt-- daily-- to damage an infant's mind into believing in the bullshyt.

Why do you think so many godbots baptize babies? Or at least "dedicate" them shortly after birth?

They **must** begin the damage early--or the natural skeptical child will reject the bullshyt.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#179057 Oct 2, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Fence post donít believe in deities either.
Just ask one.
Correct. Neither do dogs.

Both are atheists--the default position.

There's nothing special about being an atheist--- it is the base position if you eliminate all the supernatural bullshyt.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#179058 Oct 2, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>I don't have a belief system. For some reason, your worldview rests on the assumption that everyone must have an unshakable "belief" in something that is utterly ludicrous. I have ideas - but I will never say I believe something, because once I do that, I lose the ability to change my mind.
Exactly!

To hold a position based on **facts** and **evidence**, permits one to change said position, if more details come forth.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#179059 Oct 2, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
I would suggest souls are infinite forces.
First?

You must prove these "soul" thingys are real things.

You have not done that-- in fact?

You did not even try.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#179060 Oct 2, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Just ask one.
Keep backpedaling, ace...you know you've lost.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#179061 Oct 2, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Lose the ability to change your mind?
You will never say you believe something?
This post of yours is known as RAB.(Random Access Babbling).
Son you need a serious reboot.
No, it's known as not being an idiot. Saying that you "believe" something means that you blind yourself from any other possibility. I think that certain things are right and certain things are wrong, and I obviously have my own worldview, but I will never let myself succumb to the disease of belief. Your belief in god is so strong that literally nothing could change your mind. Do you think that's a good thing? It's absurd.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#179062 Oct 2, 2013
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
Keep backpedaling, ace...you know you've lost.
I donít believe in giving Atheist a short chain. I always prefer to give you guys enough chain so when you take off running. Youíll have enough chain to allow you to get to full speed before the chain runs out.

Then your neck pops as the chain is fully extended and the body along with the hind legs go flying through the air. Resulting in your landing in the opposite direction from where you started.

Having said that I know you have a sore neck. But itís not my fault you donít know your limits.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#179063 Oct 2, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Lie.
That's it.
It is as simple as that-- you **must** force-feed the bullshyt-- daily-- to damage an infant's mind into believing in the bullshyt.
Why do you think so many godbots baptize babies? Or at least "dedicate" them shortly after birth?
They **must** begin the damage early--or the natural skeptical child will reject the bullshyt.
Yes, isn't that cool? And Atheist are powerless to stop us.

“ Knight Of Hyrule”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#179064 Oct 2, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
So you have the same belief system as a fence post?
That explains everything.
Well is having the belief system of a two year old boy,
in the toy store is supposed to be better?

“ Knight Of Hyrule”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#179065 Oct 2, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Just ask one.
Two year old's believe in Santa Clause, in fact don't try to convince one otherwise.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#179066 Oct 2, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Lie.
That's it.
For in your mind you believe this misdirected assertion that infants are Atheist. This self induced fallacy is your own folklore among Atheist.

This irrational thought among your peers is not based on scientific evidence but a wishful assessment. I have yet to find an infant born with a stamp that says,ďBorn Atheist.Ē

I shall accept that Atheist are entitled to their own make believe folklore. Even if goes beyond all rational thoughts of a modern society. To that being said when a child is born itís life and care come under the direction of the biological parents.

It is with great pleasure I must inform you that children born into Christian homes are being taught about God and his word. Even among the very faint and almost undetected protest from Atheist. This trend shall continue far into the future.

This misleading and erroneous belief you hold is having absolutely no effect in the real world. You may continue believing as you wish because it has no effect on reality. Shout it from the housetops or rent a billboard. It simply makes no difference at all.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#179067 Oct 2, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Two year old's believe in Santa Clause, in fact don't try to convince one otherwise.
I was so heart broken when I found out Santa was not real. I was just starting the second grade. My Sister (four years older) just laughed and laughed at me about that.

Christmas is my favorite time of year. We pick a couple of names off the hospital Christmas Tree each year and buy some fun toys for kids that donít expect to get much.

One year my wife took to work a brand new set of Superman PJís sized for a 4 year old. She was working in the Hospital Emergency Room. Sure enough a family came through with a four year old. She gave the little boy the new PJís and his little eyes opened wide and his face glowed with excitement.

The joy of watching that little boy get so excited over getting a new pair of super hero PJís is indescribable.

“Universal Conscious Conscience”

Since: Feb 08

Planet Earth

#179068 Oct 2, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
Here goes my spin on Greys. I believe that there was and is intelligent life forms on this planet, that possible are as old as when Earth was mainly lava. I do think they are infinite in nature, as are we, but they are more advanced. Greys are robots or androids that are used to explore. These beings may be strictly energy, or perhaps the shape shifters the Native Americans believe in. Possibly both.
I think one reason we see a raise in atheism, is the evidence that it is much more likely we were created by another creature, in a lab. Instead of God. I admit the ET theory does carry more weight than mine. I stick with mine because I believe part of God's perfect design is, a species can't adapt to the atmosphere of a foreign planet. With a possible exception of, if they personally designed that planet. As we will soon try to do
Yeah I think the greys are androids/clones also. They seem to be used to do work for a higher terrestrial or extra terrestrial being(s). Creation is definitely tied into ufology and I am curious who are the ones who genetically engineered us. It could be GOD or a higher and advanced terrestrial or extra terrestrial civilization.

Are you familiar with the disclosure project? If so, have you seen the newest documentary called Sirius? In addition, have you got any leads on who created the human race?

“Universal Conscious Conscience”

Since: Feb 08

Planet Earth

#179069 Oct 2, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Here's some factual information for your extremely gullible mind to ponder:
ALL major life forms now on Earth were NOT at all present in the past There were NO birds or mammals 250 million years ago.
That ALL major life forms of the past are no longer living.
All living things come from previous living forms. Therefore ALL present forms of life arose from ancestral forms that were....wait for it now......DIFFERENT!! No person who pretends to understand the nature of the world can deny these facts anymore than they can deny the Earth rotates on its axis and revolves around the sun
Now if you care to somehow insert aliens or any other unsupported entity, be my guest. However understand that in light of real science, your claim is simply childish. You are n different from the Theist who make claims without evidence And no, just because a group of people make a claim does not make it evidence. There is ONLY one place where we can determine if something is true or not, and that is SCIENCE.
I realize like the Theists, your belief make you feel comfortable. You have NO good reason to believe other than it makes you feel good. You reject what science has to say because it conflicts wit you belief. I do believe that is called being "willfully ignorant." Now if you have even a shred of scientific proof that supports your claim please post it. Otherwise you're just another moonbat making ridiculous unsupported claims.
You are wrong! Ufology has scientific evidence in many documentaries. Last, Holding the notion that bio-diversity is fixed is not a religious stance and it intels a designer.
blacklagoon

Revere, MA

#179070 Oct 2, 2013
Infinite Force wrote:
<quoted text>
You are wrong! Ufology has scientific evidence in many documentaries. Last, Holding the notion that bio-diversity is fixed is not a religious stance and it intels a designer.
There is NO scientific evidence for UFO's, otherwise it would have been made public and we would ALL know about it. Front page news, world-wide, on every television station in the world, but......nothing, only people like you how make claims they can't prove. There are documentations about all sorts of things, it doesn't make them real. Science makes them real. Investigation, tests, examining from ever angle, repeatability, peer review articles, weighing, measuring, more testing. There is NO physical evidence that UFO's are real, so there is nothing to test or examine Hearsay, anecdotal testimony, stories told and passed on a number of times. I know all about it, I was an avid UFO's enthusiasts, read everything I could get my hands on, watched all the documents on T.V. am still a huge Sci-Fi fan. But I refuse to accept anything without verifiable evidence, and there is NONE when it comes to UFO's

I know there are Alien races out there among the stars, the odds are just to overwhelming to not know they exist. But until I have evidence, no matter how attractive the idea, I won't accept bullshit, and neither should you!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 38 min Incognito4Ever 1,221,153
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 3 hr Pearl Jam 309,692
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 13 hr tom wingo 29,669
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 20 hr TerryE 5,306
News Kecoughtan High teacher resigns after drug charges (Nov '07) Apr 25 Yogurt Nads 82
Conor Clifford 7ft center to commit to Utah. Apr 19 UHB 1
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Apr 16 ocean 201,862
More from around the web