Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 256135 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#179033 Oct 2, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Brainwashing children towards your mentally ill cult is child abuse, pure and simple.
This is how you create drones which don't question evidence. Your cult has had a lot of practice in breaking the human psyche from birth.
And yet it still fails as many people wake up to the lies in this scientific day and age.
When governments make it a crime to psychologically abuse children in this way, humanity will become a safer, saner place to live.
We do try our very best,[Tipping Hat & Smiling big]
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#179034 Oct 2, 2013
Redoran wrote:
<quoted text>
How could I know any historical figures? I am an old retired guy, dude. I love the following: Blues Harmonica, Chopin & Beethoven, Manet, Renoir, anything French,'specially Johnny.
Hey I like a little Blues myself.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#179035 Oct 2, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I beg to differ, A infant has not developed the mental capacity to understand Atheism. This Atheism is a learned ideology.
According to your analogy a fence post, a tree stump, and a flea infested hound are Atheist. If I were an Atheist I wouldn’t be so fervent about associating my belief system with a mindless fence post.
Atheist have more brains than that, don’t they?
You can't be this stupid...wait, I take that back.

Atheism is a lack of belief in deities...infants don't have to "learn" it because it is the default position.

People have to be taught about gods and indoctrinated into relations.

Nice try though.

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#179036 Oct 2, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>You bet, you’re going to love this. The first words my Grandson heard just minutes after he was born was;

Deuteronomy 6:4-5
King James Version (KJV)

4.“Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God is one Lord:”

5.“And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might.”

He’s heard it at least twice a week since then. Got to get to them early before you Atheist fill their little precious minds with garbage.
Good grief I hope you know how crazy you sound. I don't give a crap what you decide to read to your poor kids or grand kids, but the fact that you openly discuss the fact that you have to train their brains is really sick.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#179037 Oct 2, 2013
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
You can't be this stupid...wait, I take that back.
Atheism is a lack of belief in deities...infants don't have to "learn" it because it is the default position.
People have to be taught about gods and indoctrinated into relations.
Nice try though.
Fence post don’t believe in deities either.

Just ask one.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#179038 Oct 2, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
So you have the same belief system as a fence post?
That explains everything.
I don't have a belief system. For some reason, your worldview rests on the assumption that everyone must have an unshakable "belief" in something that is utterly ludicrous. I have ideas - but I will never say I believe something, because once I do that, I lose the ability to change my mind.

Location hidden

#179039 Oct 2, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I was exposed both to Atheism and Christ early in my life. My Father was a strong Atheist and had one of the most brilliant minds I will ever know. I loved him dearly and still do even though he has crossed over to the other side.
I’m one of the few people exposed to both unbelief and belief in my life early on. In my journey in this life I found out there was indeed a God. A unseen being that is real as you or I. I taught my children about God. Both are very successful career people with their own families.
They’re both well educated and one has a career path in music, a fellow trumpeter. He also has two graduate degrees. The other a very successful surgical nurse with a astounding family business that is growing at a incredible rate. So my children also have done well and are extremely blessed.
The phrase of “brain washing,” as you describe it, comes from the cold war. It’s interesting you don’t claim to have brain washed but gave instruction to your children. I have done the same Doctor. But really I don’t care if people call it brain washing. Some brains need to be washed clean.
Awesome.

Location hidden

#179040 Oct 2, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Holy shit, this is like listening to a conversation between two 6 years olds talking about spiderman and superman. Too funny!!!!
Shhh.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#179041 Oct 2, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>I don't have a belief system. For some reason, your worldview rests on the assumption that everyone must have an unshakable "belief" in something that is utterly ludicrous. I have ideas - but I will never say I believe something, because once I do that, I lose the ability to change my mind.
Lose the ability to change your mind?

You will never say you believe something?

This post of yours is known as RAB.(Random Access Babbling).

Son you need a serious reboot.

“Robert Stevens”

Since: Dec 08

Jersey City , NJ

#179042 Oct 2, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>So, infinite force, what's your take on this?
I would suggest souls are infinite forces.
Thinking

Royston, UK

#179043 Oct 2, 2013
Why?
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
I would suggest souls are infinite forces.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#179044 Oct 2, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>His parents are guilty of a very subtle form of child abuse. The really caring parent lets the child make up his or her own mind about what to believe in. They let the child reach the age of reason, teach them about critical thinking, and then let the child decide if the evidence warrants the belief. Brainwashing even with the best of intensions, is still irresponsible. Forcing a belief on the unformed mind should really be a crime. You brag about your grandchild being brainwashed when you should be terribly concerned and embarrassed at the damage your child is infliction on his/her child
We try Doctor, we try really hard to instill the good word of the Lord. Aren’t you proud of me?
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#179045 Oct 2, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Brainwashing children towards your mentally ill cult is child abuse, pure and simple.
This is how you create drones which don't question evidence. Your cult has had a lot of practice in breaking the human psyche from birth.
And yet it still fails as many people wake up to the lies in this scientific day and age.
When governments make it a crime to psychologically abuse children in this way, humanity will become a safer, saner place to live.
Write your congressman. Lol
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#179046 Oct 2, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>His parents are guilty of a very subtle form of child abuse. The really caring parent lets the child make up his or her own mind about what to believe in. They let the child reach the age of reason, teach them about critical thinking, and then let the child decide if the evidence warrants the belief. Brainwashing even with the best of intensions, is still irresponsible. Forcing a belief on the unformed mind should really be a crime. You brag about your grandchild being brainwashed when you should be terribly concerned and embarrassed at the damage your child is infliction on his/her child
I'm so proud of them Doctor. We're making so much progress, lol.

“Robert Stevens”

Since: Dec 08

Jersey City , NJ

#179047 Oct 2, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Holy shit, this is like listening to a conversation between two 6 years olds talking about spiderman and superman. Too funny!!!!
Look at what we are capable of doing. As we speak, we are attempting to Turns Mars into a planet that could support life. With DNA there is now talk about bringing back animals that don't exist. You are into this evolution thing, so you say. Without some sort of help, we could never defeat the reptiles. These animals grow with every calorie. You could have the Dinosaurs fall, which really was unlikely if you look all over. Reptiles would overcome mammals. Just imagine what if The Hippo started wandering and evolving. I am pretty sure life without humans, that would happen.
Thinking

Royston, UK

#179048 Oct 2, 2013
If your god was all powerful you wouldn't be required to do that.
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
We try Doctor, we try really hard to instill the good word of the Lord. Aren’t you proud of me?
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#179049 Oct 2, 2013
I think Atheist from all over the world should get together and come up with their own secret handshake, lol.

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/fafbe59811/h...
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#179050 Oct 2, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I was exposed both to Atheism and Christ early in my life. My Father was a strong Atheist and had one of the most brilliant minds I will ever know. I loved him dearly and still do even though he has crossed over to the other side.
I’m one of the few people exposed to both unbelief and belief in my life early on. In my journey in this life I found out there was indeed a God. A unseen being that is real as you or I. I taught my children about God. Both are very successful career people with their own families.
They’re both well educated and one has a career path in music, a fellow trumpeter. He also has two graduate degrees. The other a very successful surgical nurse with a astounding family business that is growing at a incredible rate. So my children also have done well and are extremely blessed.
The phrase of “brain washing,” as you describe it, comes from the cold war. It’s interesting you don’t claim to have brain washed but gave instruction to your children. I have done the same Doctor. But really I don’t care if people call it brain washing. Some brains need to be washed clean.
I'm sure you raised your children with love and compassion, but you didn't show them the importance of critical thinking. Node did you instill in them how important skepticism is, for unless we question EVERYTHING we can NEVER know if something is really true. Excepting things just because someone says they are true can lead to all sorts of problems.

All children need to be guided and taught certain things that are important. The trick is to find out what is really important for them. There is no benefit to teaching them about a God. There is NOTHING a Theists can do that a non-believer can't do, so why add the extra baggage? You pass on this belief because you believe it, you never gave your children, as I did, a chance to investigate on their own and draw their own conclusions. Young children's brains are like a sponge, they soak up everything, so when you force a belief on them you have in fact brainwashed them, That is the very definition of brainwashing, forcing ideas into one head.

I NEVER told my children there was no God. When they asked if God was real, I asked them what they thought. I told them about how science works and taught them how to go about investigating a claim. I can remember terming them, "If you want to know if God exists then read about all of the Gods and all of the religions and see which, if any, seem reasonable to you"

Trips to the local science museum was there favorite, it was there they learned about the facts of evolution.The Planetarium taught them about the universe and how stars and planets were formed. So much more insightful and informative than...An invisible being snapped it's fingers and all that there is suddenly sprang into existence.

Religion is NOT important. Reason, logic, critical thinking, skepticism, understanding science, these are what are truly important. Like this:........"To be scientifically literate is to empower yourself to know when someone else is full of shit." or......"Science adjusts it's views based on what is observed, religious faith is the denial of observation so that a belief can be preserved."
Thinking

Royston, UK

#179051 Oct 2, 2013
Why?
Eagle 12 wrote:
I think Atheist from all over the world should get together and come up with their own secret handshake, lol.
http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/fafbe59811/h...
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#179052 Oct 2, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Why?
<quoted text>
Unity, Brotherhood, Vatos.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 min John Galt 1,406,531
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) Jul 27 Trojan 32,308
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) Jul 27 ThomasA 311,496
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) Jul 27 IB DaMann 9,991
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Jul 25 NotInPotatoQuality 201,878
legitimate loan lender (Oct '13) Jul 21 Ceren 7
What Ever Happen To Niagara Basketball (May '15) Jul 17 Disappointed PE 3
More from around the web