Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#178897 Oct 1, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
It was the Reagan admin that let the robber barons loot Wall St and public companies. Clinton helped. American business was taken over by parasites. Showbiz and hucksterism, smoke and mirrors since then. Manufacturing overseas and BS artists plundering the profits from the cheaper production.
You have a new global economic system based on investors and mandatory purchase of things like insurance providing cash flow for the new class of world rulers to disburse. In the long run it may be best for the large population we have, but it does need some tweaking and checks on it.
The world has become a corporation. There is not the old wealth such as gold and production of goods. Wealth is now determined by how much of the flow of Monopoly money you can divert to yourself.
You have your dream. You are a statistic, a cog in a greater machine. Matter being farmed by other matter. You have no escape.
I was talking about the sub prime mortgage scandal, anyway, regan, bush, all cast in the same mould

As for the rest of your davesworld diatribe, that’s life, live with it.

#178898 Oct 1, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep. Facts. They keep proving the god-robots are ...
.... lying.
It’s the godbot way to lie in the face of facts
Thinking

UK

#178899 Oct 1, 2013
Just because I don't know how aliens purportedly living a few hundreds in our future are inevitably actors from decades in our past does not mean the Borg couldn't exist.

However, I do know it is impossible for an all powerful compassionate god to exist because we have evidence of avoidable suffering.
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
I may be misunderstanding your exchange. Are you saying it is impossible for there to be "the Borg" as they are on the TV series Star Trek The Next Generation?
Thinking

UK

#178900 Oct 1, 2013
a few hundreds of years ^

#178901 Oct 1, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
That is the story they hate hearing the most. There are no atheist in fox holes.
Actually according to historical perspective the foxholes of Europe contained plenty of atheists during WW1 and 2 so why do you lie for your god? Does lying make you feel better in yourself? Does it bring you closer to your god? Or is it simply that history defeats you every time and you are too stupid to admit it

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#178902 Oct 1, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I have answered you twice but here is the third time.
I shall tell you a story of a man who decided he could jump out of an airplane at 5000 without a parachute. He refused to believe those who said he would die.
The man asked pointedly to the other jumpers who had chutes,“Do I deserve to be slammed into the earth at 200 miles per hour?” The others pleaded with him to put on a chute and pull the rip cord.“You have a choice!,” they said.
All the jumpers jump from the airplane including the man without a parachute. All the jumpers were saved accept the one man without a chute.
Doctor, my answer to you is this. YOU have a choice! You don’t have to spend eternity in hell. But always remember, if you find yourself in hell for eternity, who it was that put yourself there, YOU.
Jesus said,
2 Peter 3:9
“The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.”
God has given you a way out and you have refused.
Here's the problem with your "story":

Gravity is real.

Deities are not real.

Glad to help.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#178903 Oct 1, 2013
Science is relentless at beating the religion out of smart people's minds.

And it does this with no violence at all, just plain old human curiosity and experimentation.

Religion has no hope in a world of super colliders and space travel. It should put its cr*p in a box and leave it be and apologise to the world for slowing it down.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#178904 Oct 1, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I have answered you twice but here is the third time.
I shall tell you a story of a man who decided he could jump out of an airplane at 5000 without a parachute. He refused to believe those who said he would die.
The man asked pointedly to the other jumpers who had chutes,“Do I deserve to be slammed into the earth at 200 miles per hour?” The others pleaded with him to put on a chute and pull the rip cord.“You have a choice!,” they said.
All the jumpers jump from the airplane including the man without a parachute. All the jumpers were saved accept the one man without a chute.
Doctor, my answer to you is this. YOU have a choice! You don’t have to spend eternity in hell. But always remember, if you find yourself in hell for eternity, who it was that put yourself there, YOU.
Jesus said,
2 Peter 3:9
“The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.”
God has given you a way out and you have refused.
You have NOT answered my question You resort to preaching and telling me I have a choice. I don't believe for a second that what you say is true. All I'm asking, and you seem to be having a terribly time answering, is since I totally reject Jesus and your God is going to send me to hell, now listen carefully.....DO YOU THINK I DESEVE TO BE TORTURED FOR ETERNITY? Yes or no!!!!
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#178905 Oct 1, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I have never met a Borg but I do believe they are real.
Borg is a common surname in Scandinavia as well as in Malta. Borg may refer to:
Åke Borg, Swedish swimmer, twin brother of Arne
Alex Borg, Maltese snooker player
Anders Borg, Swedish politician
Andy Borg, Austrian singer
Anita Borg, American historical computer scientist
Arne Borg, Swedish swimmer, twin brother of Åke
Björn Borg (born 1956), Swedish tennis player
Björn Borg (swimmer), Swedish swimmer
Brita Borg, Swedish singer and actress
Carl Oscar Borg, Swedish-American painter
Carmelo Bor&#289; Pisani, Maltese political activist and spy
Charmaine Borg (born 1990), Canadian politician
Coryse Borg, Maltese actress and director
David Borg, Canadian film producer
Flula Borg, German DJ
Freddy Borg, Swedish football striker, currently with Alemannia Aachen
Gerard James Borg, Maltese songwriter
Giorgio Borg Olivier, Maltese politician, twice Prime Minister
Hasse Borg, Swedish footballer
Jákup á Borg, Faroese footballer
Joe Borg, Maltese politician
Joseph Borg (regulator), American financial regulator
Katarina Borg, Swedish orienteering competitor
Kevin Borg (singer), Maltese singer in Sweden
Kim Borg, Finnish opera singer
Lorraine Borg, All-American Girls Professional Baseball League player
Malcolm Borg, American newspaper editor
Nicke Borg, Swedish singer and guitarist
OJ Borg, Maltese-British radio and TV personality
Oscar Borg, Norwegian composer
Parker W. Borg, American diplomat and professor
Paul Borg Olivier, Maltese politician, grandnephew of Giorgio Borg Olivier
Reginald Le Borg, Austrian filmmaker
Richard Borg, American game designer
Tonio Borg, Maltese politician
Veda Ann Borg, American film actress
Walter Borg, Swedish Finn communist
Wes Borg, Canadian comedian and musician
I didn't think I had to treat you like a 5 years old, my mistake, so here it is in the easy to understand form. Do you believe the BORG as depicted in the star trek movie, the half man half machine, really exit?
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#178906 Oct 1, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
That is the story they hate hearing the most. There are no atheist in fox holes.
I'm here to expose you as a liar. I was in a foxhole in Viet Nam, as were others who were also Atheists. We were under attack, out number and very short on ammunition, with no help coming soon. I was convinced that I was going to die, no question. And NO neither myself nor any one else suddenly sank to our knees and begged God for forgiveness. I was fully prepared to die and face whatever came. I saw no sense in making up a mythical place just so as to be comfortable. What happen's when you blow out a candle?

A person becomes an Atheists because he is highly skeptical, because he is a critical thinker, he believes what science has observed, you don't throw all of that away, and suddenly accept bullshit, just because you know you are going to die. The stories people tell about Atheists suddenly accepting God on their deaths beds are most likely lies, or these people were never Atheists to begin with.

"There are no Atheists in foxholes" is a made up term used by Theists in a further attempt at validate their delusions.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#178907 Oct 1, 2013
Infinite Force wrote:
<quoted text>
It's all part of having choices (free will). To prevent evil from being in this world we would be robots. But instead GOD gave us a choice and the consequence behind this enable people to behave evilly.
It's not GOD creating the evil acts, it's the choices people make.
I wasn't speaking of individual choice or minor bits of evil.

I **was** speaking of Great Evil, like mass starvation due to crop failures, or mass death due to flooding, or mass destruction due to earthquakes or volcanoes or hurricanes.

That sort of thing.

Your post ignores these examples of Great Evil. Epicurus asked you a question.

You did not answer:

“Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?
Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing?
Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing?
Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing?
Then why call him God?”
~ Epicurus (Greek philosopher, BC 341-270)

“Robert Stevens”

Since: Dec 08

Jersey City , NJ

#178908 Oct 1, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Just because I don't know how aliens purportedly living a few hundreds in our future are inevitably actors from decades in our past does not mean the Borg couldn't exist.
However, I do know it is impossible for an all powerful compassionate god to exist because we have evidence of avoidable suffering.
<quoted text>
Thinking, you really need to get with real science. Cybernetics is an Earth reality. Throughout this conversation, I have gained the conclusion this crowd should leave interaction and instead, read books, and buy and rent documentaries. Perhaps spend a day watching youtube. What you guys ask for proof for has been proven soundly. You are the left behind.

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#178909 Oct 1, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually according to historical perspective the foxholes of Europe contained plenty of atheists during WW1 and 2 so why do you lie for your god? Does lying make you feel better in yourself? Does it bring you closer to your god? Or is it simply that history defeats you every time and you are too stupid to admit it
Many forced into being atheist. I missed the episode of The History Channel explaining the World Wars were Holy Wars.

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#178910 Oct 1, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>I'm here to expose you as a liar. I was in a foxhole in Viet Nam, as were others who were also Atheists. We were under attack, out number and very short on ammunition, with no help coming soon. I was convinced that I was going to die, no question. And NO neither myself nor any one else suddenly sank to our knees and begged God for forgiveness. I was fully prepared to die and face whatever came. I saw no sense in making up a mythical place just so as to be comfortable. What happen's when you blow out a candle?
A person becomes an Atheists because he is highly skeptical, because he is a critical thinker, he believes what science has observed, you don't throw all of that away, and suddenly accept bullshit, just because you know you are going to die. The stories people tell about Atheists suddenly accepting God on their deaths beds are most likely lies, or these people were never Atheists to begin with.
"There are no Atheists in foxholes" is a made up term used by Theists in a further attempt at validate their delusions.
Liar, I never meet a VFW that did not co-sign this very old statement. You are a liar!

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#178911 Oct 1, 2013
<quoted text>
I **was** speaking of Great Evil, like mass starvation due to crop failures, or mass death due to flooding, or mass destruction due to earthquakes or volcanoes or hurricanes.
That sort of thing.
You did not answer:
Then he is malevolent.
Then whence cometh evil?
Then why call him God?”
Little Red Bobbing Hood, it is called free will. Your sort seek firm management. You would prefer an overlord. We don't get you, just as you don't get us.
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#178912 Oct 1, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
[blah]
You sound like you live in a cave.

http://armedforceshumanists.org.uk/about/

http://militaryatheists.org/atheists-in-foxho...

http://militaryatheists.org/jasontorpy.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pat_Tillman#Mili...

There most certainly are atheists in foxholes. There were obviously atheists in WW1 and WW2 for sure. I watched one speak on the TV and here is another...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Douglas,...

Perhaps non-believers would do better to avoid service in the armed forces and find more peaceful was to service country and humanity, but I'm not sure that's a realistic idea. The British armed forces might nearly cease to exist!:-)
Thinking

UK

#178913 Oct 1, 2013
Brilliant wasn't he?

I know some believe Epicurus' text is slightly paraphrased, but in 2300 years or so, no one has been able to refute it.
<quoted text>
That sort of thing.
You did not answer:
Then he is malevolent.
Then whence cometh evil?
Then why call him God?”
Thinking

UK

#178914 Oct 1, 2013
Get yourself a PVR.
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
Many forced into being atheist. I missed the episode of The History Channel explaining the World Wars were Holy Wars.
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#178915 Oct 1, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Get yourself a PVR.
<quoted text>
Premature Voluntary Release?
Your advice always seems well intentioned but I often miss the value of it.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#178916 Oct 1, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
Liar, I never meet a VFW that did not co-sign this very old statement. You are a liar!
I exposed you as a liar and you're pissed, I do understand. It's embarrassing to be caught lying. I really could give two shits whether you believe me or not, you're just not that important to me. Once again, "There are no Atheists in foxholes." Is a term invented by Theists to validate their delusions.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 15 min Bluestater 1,192,476
Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 58 min Big D 201,421
UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 4 hr Chosen Swallower 29,078
How to recover lost data from iPhone/iPad/iPod- (Jan '14) 8 hr alvina haynes 13
What role do you think humans play in global wa... 8 hr LonePalm 4,347
Should child beauty pageants be banned? 9 hr Nina 753
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 10 hr Pearl Jam 308,963
More from around the web