Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 255970 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#178850 Sep 30, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>I'm sure it's a great comfort to you to think you're going to live forever. Just curious, have you really thought about what that would be like? In this life we have dreams, aspirations, goals, always moving forward toward those goals, and even when reached, new goals are realized. When you have eternity, what becomes of your mind when all of those dreams and goals have been met? Everything you ever wanted would be accomplished, you would eventually run out of goals and desires, then what? You would still have another million years stretched out before you, and a billion after that, and more to follow. I can't imagine a worse hell. Quite possibly this is the real hell, time without end, an endless life with nothing to accomplish. I would beg for death, but apparently it would never come, no end would be possible. Be very careful what you wish for!!!!!!
He'll be a mind-slave to his "god", so it won't matter, will it?

After the first 100 years or so, the endless repeating of the "hosannah" will have created such a grove in what's left of his brains that, like someone damaged by crack, he'll have lost all sense of self.

And become nothing more than a robotic broken record, feeding the massive ego of his god.

And devoid of any original thoughts of any kind.

No better than a talking houseplant, really...
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#178851 Sep 30, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Do you believe the BORG are real?
Hey, I always loved Star Trek. But so far I have not met a Borg, lol.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#178852 Sep 30, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I have said repeatedly that I believe in microbiological evolution.
And I don’t send people to hell.
Apparently apostasy is the one unpardonable sin for which people are sent to hell. I totally reject Jesus, so do you believe that I will be sent to hell? Do you think I deserve to be sent to hell?
Thinking

Royston, UK

#178853 Sep 30, 2013
Douglas Adams was writing "resistance is useless" long before that similar phrase hit our screens.

Your religion also plagiarises heavily.

Why do you want the Borg to win?
Eagle 12 wrote:
Again to my Atheist friends.
RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.
(Star Trek)
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#178854 Sep 30, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>I'm sure it's a great comfort to you to think you're going to live forever. Just curious, have you really thought about what that would be like? In this life we have dreams, aspirations, goals, always moving forward toward those goals, and even when reached, new goals are realized. When you have eternity, what becomes of your mind when all of those dreams and goals have been met? Everything you ever wanted would be accomplished, you would eventually run out of goals and desires, then what? You would still have another million years stretched out before you, and a billion after that, and more to follow. I can't imagine a worse hell. Quite possibly this is the real hell, time without end, an endless life with nothing to accomplish. I would beg for death, but apparently it would never come, no end would be possible. Be very careful what you wish for!!!!!!
To our scientific knowledge we are alone for the most part as natural beings. Nasa has discovered 1000 planets that have an orbit around a star similar to ours. The Bible talks about a new heaven and a new Earth.

That’s one great big playground for all of Gods children. Heaven (the City) has twelve levels and gates to the outside on each level. That means there will be some traveling. We don’t know what is planned completely but we do know we will not experience death again.

You know Doc I kind of wish you were going. You could show Michael (Arch Angel) a thing or two about playing the trumpet.

“Robert Stevens”

Since: Dec 08

Jersey City , NJ

#178855 Sep 30, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
To my Dear Atheist friends.
You have chosen not to believe in God. Your right and your choice. I explored the thought of a unseen living being we often refer to as God. I learned through prayer he has a voice. He talks back but not in the natural sense.
To me and millions of others like me we have tested God and found him to be very real. Not the figment of our imagination as your so often proclaim and want to believe.
Because you refuse him doesn’t mean I will refuse him.
He is my God, my King and Savior. And he is real as any thing can be real. No ridicule, no quips, no wisecracks and cynicism will ever cause me to deny him.
Romans : 38-39
38.“For I am persuaded , that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present , nor things to come”, 39 “Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.”
They just don't get it. I really do belief they have no souls, therefore.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#178856 Sep 30, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Apparently apostasy is the one unpardonable sin for which people are sent to hell. I totally reject Jesus, so do you believe that I will be sent to hell? Do you think I deserve to be sent to hell?
A very good question Doctor. I had the experience of being burned in an Industrial fire while trying to put it out. There’s nothing to compare to the pain of being burned by a hot industrial fire in a chemical plant.

But I must refer to Jesus words. He wished none would parish and that all men would come to repentance.

In my life as an Emergency Responder. We were always taught that our number one duty was to save ourselves. Our second duty was to save our fellow Responders. I would love to be able to save you Doctor. But you refuse to be saved.

I must go on and help those who want to be saved and can’t waste time on those who refuse. Doctor, you are another Harry Randall Truman. Mr Truman refused to leave Mount St Helens in May of 1980. He refused to be saved. When the Mountain blew he lost his life.

I can not save you Doctor, I wish I could, but you won’t let me.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#178857 Sep 30, 2013
I must sign off for now. Got to spend some time with the grandkids,
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#178858 Sep 30, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey, I always loved Star Trek. But so far I have not met a Borg, lol.
Thats not what I asked. I asked if you think the BORG are real?

“Universal Conscious Conscience”

Since: Feb 08

Planet Earth

#178859 Sep 30, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
The evidence is that you're all liars that cannot provide proof of the god you made up.
You know this and that's why you write books and build buildings to keep the lie going.
You're at the same time too stupid to understand how science works and how is already had disproved your own little world you made up and believed while growing up.
Now as an adult to protect that fragile psychological cage, you tell lies about god to keep your ego from caving into the realisation that god isn't real and that there is no absolute form of justice in the world.
Or you could just tell the truth and admit you're atheist and don't believe in made up rubbish.
I don't support or have anything to do with religions. I just came to the conclusion that biological diversity is fixed instead of evolved and the only logical conclusion left is a/or Designer(s) is the reason why we see biodiversity.

You believe biodiversity is evolved and I believe biodiversity is fixed when it comes to reproduction of the same biological reproductive species.

Planet Earth

#178860 Sep 30, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
No, atheism doesn't require faith at all.
Don't worry. Most theists that come here make that same mistake.
I became an atheist the moment I became human. I was not yet old enough to evaluate evidence.
How many deity claims did you evaluate before deciding which one to believe in? Did you at least explore 50% of them?
I don't have anything to do with religions. I just concluded that bio-diversity is fixed instead of evolved and one must conclude that GOD exist if he/she see biological reproductive species as being fixed.

Planet Earth

#178861 Sep 30, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Evil.
I have yet to read a godbot's claims about the god they purport to worship, that did not include "god is good" in there somewhere.
But the very existence of wide-spread evil in the world that is applied without consideration to the guilt or innocence of the victim, is ample proof that if there **is** a god out there?
Such a god is utterly without compassion for those who suffer and die because of indifferent, widespread evil.
Evil that could easily be prevented by ... a god.
Can you explain this **fact**?
No?
Interesting.
I will bet that you will run away like the coward you are-- without bothering an answer.
----------
“Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?
Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing?
Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing?
Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing?
Then why call him God?”
~ Epicurus (Greek philosopher, BC 341-270)
It's all part of having choices (free will). To prevent evil from being in this world we would be robots. But instead GOD gave us a choice and the consequence behind this enable people to behave evilly.

It's not GOD creating the evil acts, it's the choices people make.

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#178862 Sep 30, 2013
Infinite Force wrote:
I don't have anything to do with religions.
Where did you get "GOD" from, if not religion?
Infinite Force wrote:
I just concluded that bio-diversity is fixed instead of evolved
Your conclusion is incorrect.
Infinite Force wrote:
and one must conclude that GOD exist if he/she see biological reproductive species as being fixed.
False premise and faulty reasoning.

Planet Earth

#178863 Sep 30, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Try to remember that the word FAITH is a religious term. FAITH is the permission that Theists give to each other when no evidence is available They will also tell anyone who will listen that because there is a lack of evidence for God that FAITH is required.
You also have to be intelligent enough to understand the difference between a POSITIVE CLAIM, an assertion, and a NEGATIVE claim. One REQUIRES proof, the other does not. It is the person making an assertion, a POSITIVE claim that God exists, that shoulders the burden of proof. Countless times the Theists tries to shift this burden of proof on the non-believer, that is called an argument from ignorance.
"What *evidence* did I find that made me an Atheist?" It was the LACK of any verifiable evidence that convinced me that all Gods exist only in one's imagination, and nowhere else. It helped my position a great deal by reading the bible. Seeing religion as a divisive force to our species, and the mind altering dogma that accompanies it, to the point where people reject known facts because it conflict with their beliefs, further showed me how damaging and poisonous religion really is
You talk like science have found the final answer on how biodiversity originated. Their is two answers for this question;

1. bio-diversity evolved
2. bio-diversity is fixed

I choose number two because the evidence support it. Number two requires that a GOD exist logically because their is only two choices to choose from on how bio-diversity got on this planet.

Science have not solved this riddle yet, so if you picked number one it does not rule out number two because number one is not finalized and theories do get disproved and history have proven this.

Location hidden

#178864 Sep 30, 2013
Infinite Force wrote:
It's all part of having choices (free will). To prevent evil from being in this world we would be robots. But instead GOD gave us a choice and the consequence behind this enable people to behave evilly.
It's not GOD creating the evil acts, it's the choices people make.
In a universe where this "GOD" is all powerful, humans do not have free will. We are only able to do what meets with the approval of "GOD". If we could go against his will, that would make us more powerful than "GOD". A being is either capable of making all the universe as it desires, or not. If it is capable, the state of the universe at all times is his will. Any other being capable of making decisions is therefor only capable of making decisions that align with the will of "GOD". That is the freedom a slave has to do only what the master allows.

Of course there's no good reason to believe that any such beings exist.

Planet Earth

#178865 Sep 30, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
Where did you get "GOD" from, if not religion?
By concluding that biodiversity is fixed! You conclude this the only answer left is GOD or intelligent design because "evolved" is the other answer to the origin of bio-diversity and that answer is not final.
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
Your conclusion is incorrect.
Biodiversity as being fixed is still a possible answer and have not been ruled out so my conclusion is not incorrect!
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
False premise and faulty reasoning.
Observation shows biological reproductive species reproducing the same biological reproductive species not the opposite.

Planet Earth

#178866 Sep 30, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
In a universe where this "GOD" is all powerful, humans do not have free will. We are only able to do what meets with the approval of "GOD". If we could go against his will, that would make us more powerful than "GOD". A being is either capable of making all the universe as it desires, or not. If it is capable, the state of the universe at all times is his will. Any other being capable of making decisions is therefor only capable of making decisions that align with the will of "GOD". That is the freedom a slave has to do only what the master allows.
Of course there's no good reason to believe that any such beings exist.
Let me repeat myself! I do not deal with religions! Anyways, your argument is off of the presupposition of religions and I do not deal with religions.

Location hidden

#178867 Sep 30, 2013
Infinite Force wrote:
By concluding that biodiversity is fixed!
That is an incorrect conclusion. All that follows is incorrect.
Infinite Force wrote:
You conclude this the only answer left is GOD or intelligent design because "evolved" is the other answer to the origin of bio-diversity and that answer is not final.
We have no examples of life that did not or does not evolve.
Infinite Force wrote:
Biodiversity as being fixed is still a possible answer and have not been ruled out so my conclusion is not incorrect!
No, evolution is a fact. All life as we know it evolves.
Infinite Force wrote:
Observation shows biological reproductive species reproducing the same biological reproductive species not the opposite.
You have no idea what you are talking about.

Location hidden

#178868 Sep 30, 2013
Infinite Force wrote:
Let me repeat myself! I do not deal with religions! Anyways, your argument is off of the presupposition of religions and I do not deal with religions.
If you're going to borrow the word "GOD" without adhering to the popular cultural definition, you need to define what you're talking about.

Whenever you do that, you'll be defining your religion.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#178869 Sep 30, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
A very good question Doctor. I had the experience of being burned in an Industrial fire while trying to put it out. There’s nothing to compare to the pain of being burned by a hot industrial fire in a chemical plant.
But I must refer to Jesus words. He wished none would parish and that all men would come to repentance.
In my life as an Emergency Responder. We were always taught that our number one duty was to save ourselves. Our second duty was to save our fellow Responders. I would love to be able to save you Doctor. But you refuse to be saved.
I must go on and help those who want to be saved and can’t waste time on those who refuse. Doctor, you are another Harry Randall Truman. Mr Truman refused to leave Mount St Helens in May of 1980. He refused to be saved. When the Mountain blew he lost his life.
I can not save you Doctor, I wish I could, but you won’t let me.
Thats is NOT what I asked. Do YOU think I deserve to go to hell? It's obvious that since I totally reject jesus, your God, if he exists, is sending me to burn forever Do you think this is what I deserve?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 5 min John Galt 1,404,230
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 13 hr Brian_G 311,489
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 15 hr litesong 9,989
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 21 hr NotInPotatoQuality 201,878
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) Jul 23 Trojan 32,307
legitimate loan lender (Oct '13) Jul 21 Ceren 7
What Ever Happen To Niagara Basketball (May '15) Jul 17 Disappointed PE 3
More from around the web