Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 245055 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#178318 Sep 24, 2013
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>AntiUnicornism is a position that claims a truth.
This pretended neutrality fools no one.
You are pre-committed to deny Unicorns with no rational reason for doing so.

Shame on you and your war on Unicorns!
Nice try.

Are your unicorns omniscient, omnipresent, omnipotent and have actually engaged with man throughout recorded history?

Location hidden

#178319 Sep 24, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>The bible does not speak of Jesus, in the old testament.

1) the name is wrong
2) the town is wrong
3) the parental lineage is wrong

Those are 3 damning failures proving Jesus could never have been the Jewish messiah.

And that was without even trying....
And you think you have a deep knowledge of the bible?

I think you confuse intentional skepticism with actual knowledge.

Location hidden

#178320 Sep 24, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>The God you worship murders little babies and destroys unborn fetuses. He also endorses slavery and encourages rape. My moral standards are much higher than your Gods. As a matter of fact, my mol standards are higher than just about everyone in the bible. Your most likely are also.
Really, where do you get your morality from?

Location hidden

#178321 Sep 24, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>That is correct, for two very good reason. First, How can it be free will when you must fear the consequences? That is completely in conflict with the definition of "free." I hold a gun to your head and say you have free will to give me your wallet or not. But if you don't I'll kill you. Free will means you give or receive something without expectation of return. Second, your God is said to be omnipotent, he knows all, can see the future, knows what will happen in the future, can see exactly what you are going to do. He can see the pathway you have taken. You come to a fork in the road and think you have free will to decide whether to go right or left, God however already knows what direction you chose, you CANNOT chose any other direction other that what God has chosen for you. That is unless you want to say that God cannot see into the future and does NOT know which pathway you will take. There is no such thing as "free will" just like there is no such thing and your God.
Omniscience denies free will?

So you knowing that someone driving a car into a wall at 100 miles an hour will kill them makes you responsible for their death, you knowing what would happen removes their free will?

Seriously, you really believe that?

Location hidden

#178322 Sep 24, 2013
I_see_you wrote:
<quoted text>Right!?!?! This pisses me right off. The first person that ever said this to me, I turned right around and told them to dial up their so called heaven and tell my mom that this is why she died of cancer. Her prayers weren't good enough.... Then I got the good ole generational sin bullshit speech. I wonder how else a person is supposed to interpret "ASK AND YE SHALL RECEIVE." !!!! blargh...~calm now~ Sorry... hope you didn't mind my little blow up.:)

Simply said, "I agree" "CON."
Anger at God does not mean He does not exist.

Location hidden

#178323 Sep 24, 2013
Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>Since morality predates your religion, prove it.
How can morality predate God?

Location hidden

#178324 Sep 24, 2013
Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>Prove that it does.
I cannot prove anything to you, your reasoning is faulty and precludes me doing so.

Location hidden

#178325 Sep 24, 2013
Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>So you can not deny any god?

Therefore you must also believe in Vishnu and Thor as well as thousands of other gods.
The old Santa Claus argument.
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#178326 Sep 24, 2013
Religion = superstition
reasoner

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#178327 Sep 24, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
No, its a good argument. You are an atheist with regards to all gods except your own, and a disbelieve all revelations except you own.
reasoner

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#178328 Sep 24, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Human beings have been around much longer than monotheism. Morality is a system of ideas which evolved slowly over time i.e. it is a product of our evolution.
reasoner

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#178329 Sep 24, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
And you think you have a deep knowledge of the bible?
I think you confuse intentional skepticism with actual knowledge.
You are lying to yourself. Bob quite rightly points out "The bible does not speak of Jesus, in the old testament" This is a statement of fact. People on this forum are knowledgeable on the Bible, because they have actually read it and dont accept religious indocrination.

If you take the trouble of looking at the supposed prophecies of Jesus in the OT, and read them in context, you will see they are not prophecies at all, and have been lifted out of context by the crafty gospel writers. This in itself is enough to prove that Christianity is a false religious system.

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#178330 Sep 24, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
First, which god? There are around 3700 gods documented of which 2400 are said to have omnipotence as is claimed of the abrahamic god.

Second, Easy, morality is a condition that existed long before any god was thought of. There are some animals that hold to a type of morality and no god is involved. Certainly, without morality civilisation would not exist and therefore there would be no need to invent gods

However reglutards of all types have tried to claim morality as their own and in the same way as they misrepresent the meaning of the word truth (and so many other words), they misrepresent the meaning of the word morality. May I suggest educating yourself by looking up the meaning of the word on google, you will notice that the definition has bugger all to do with any god. While you are at it you could do the same for “truth” and you will notice it is not what you believe to be true or sounds like it could be true to you but what is actually true.

Given that you consistently lie about the term morality (and reading your post, so much else) I can only consider myself, as a person labelled atheist by such as you, to be considerably more moral than you could ever be.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#178331 Sep 24, 2013
Thinking wrote:
I'm lucky enough to live up in the Chiltern Hills between London and Oxford. I can get into central London in 24 minutes but it still feels very rural.
<quoted text>
I envy you. I wish the immigration rules to work in the UK weren't so tight, I'd love to live there.

Ah well...

Location hidden

#178332 Sep 24, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Nice try.
Are your unicorns omniscient, omnipresent, omnipotent and have actually engaged with man throughout recorded history?
Of course they are - everyone know that.

Why do you have such a willing disbelief in the power of Unicorns?

You know, if you just pray really, really hard, the Unicorns will reveal themselves to you...

Location hidden

#178333 Sep 24, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, people keep using it because it works.

Plus, it makes you look like a tool...
LCNLin

United States

#178334 Sep 24, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Since morality predates your religion, prove it.
<quoted text>
Prove evangelistic atheism ?
Lots of posts but no proof of atheist religion of the 2% in America ;-)
LCNLin

United States

#178335 Sep 24, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
First, which god? There are around 3700 gods documented of which 2400 are said to have omnipotence as is claimed of the abrahamic god.
Second, Easy, morality is a condition that existed long before any god was thought of. There are some animals that hold to a type of morality and no god is involved. Certainly, without morality civilisation would not exist and therefore there would be no need to invent gods
However reglutards of all types have tried to claim morality as their own and in the same way as they misrepresent the meaning of the word truth (and so many other words), they misrepresent the meaning of the word morality. May I suggest educating yourself by looking up the meaning of the word on google, you will notice that the definition has bugger all to do with any god. While you are at it you could do the same for “truth” and you will notice it is not what you believe to be true or sounds like it could be true to you but what is actually true.
Given that you consistently lie about the term morality (and reading your post, so much else) I can only consider myself, as a person labelled atheist by such as you, to be considerably more moral than you could ever be.
Amusing as making up figures to support atheist philosophy.
Lacking proof of anything, atheist religion tries to use statistics
LOL

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#178336 Sep 24, 2013
LCNLin wrote:
<quoted text>
Amusing as making up figures to support atheist philosophy.
Lacking proof of anything, atheist religion tries to use statistics
LOL
Glad you were amused but hey, nothing made up, just pure and simple fact.

You want a list of gods, here is a page that links you to some
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_deities

and this one list over 3700 http://www.godchecker.com/

As does this christian debate forum http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/viewtop...

And here is a definition or two for the word morality
Google –
Morality
1 Principles concerning the distinction between right and wrong or good and bad behavior.
2 Behavior as it is affected by the observation of these principles.

Oxford dictionary
Morality
* principles concerning the distinction between right and wrong or good and bad behaviour
* particular system of values and principles of conduct:a bourgeois morality
* the extent to which an action is right or wrong

Mirriam Webster
beliefs about what is right behavior and what is wrong behavior

: the degree to which something is right and good : the moral goodness or badness of something

Referance.com is the only one I can find with a refeance to any religious implications of morality and they stop short of attributing it to a particular religion, they state in definition 4 “doctrine”
1.conformity to the rules of right conduct; moral or virtuous conduct.
2.moral quality or character.
3.virtue in sexual matters; chastity.
4.a doctrine or system of morals.
5.moral instruction; a moral lesson, precept, discourse, or utterance.

So lets consider my post, there are factually over 3700 documented gods, so not made up

Tell me do you often make such a fool of yourself in the name of your god?
Then the definitions of morality only consider doctrine as important enough to mention on rare occasions and in actual context, i.e. not in the context loved by so many christards
LCNLin

United States

#178337 Sep 24, 2013
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, people keep using it because it works.
Plus, it makes you look like a tool...
flying Spaghetti Monster of atheist religion
still unproved on thread.
Many attacks on religion but no proof of atheist religion ..some denial which amuses

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min John Galt 1,264,168
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 7 min serfs up 310,362
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 2 hr IBdaMann 6,500
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 13 hr stewart scott 29,854
The Email Address Debacle: Did Hillary Do Somet... 21 hr Brian_G 1,716
I got my loan from [email protected] (Jun '13) Jul 31 bernarlyn 33
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Jul 29 RiccardoFire 201,844
More from around the web