Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 239851 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#178044 Sep 22, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Our manipulation of forces to create devices and control them over distance. You weren't here for my past posts about this world and us being like remote controlled airplanes, and tuned devices working on discrete signals.
You have to get past the you just exist and realize how you are put together.
EM is the shaper and controller of the universe. It is the most powerful of the forces and transverses the known universe. Yes, stronger than gravity and the nuclear forces. The nuclear forces just bind nuclei, EM moves the nuclei. Without the EM you wouldn't have fission or fusion.
Your body and material mind is a tuned device programmed to respond to the greater universe. Pure and simple. The universe shaped you, and its movements let's you function. You have a power supply built in you, but it has its limits on just how much "free will" you can exert, if any. That power supply is formed from EM interactions, the chemical processes of your digestive system whose energy is then redistributed.
The entire basis of physics is cause and effect. Nothing happens without being caused. However, this is a school of thought, a religion if you will, that we just magically poofed into existence out of nothing, that nothing being pre BBT. It is a religion of math and probabilities, not actualities. You have a cult of this religion in theoretical physics that provides "evidence" for people with head problems, meaning your typical Topix atheist.
Can you start making youtube videos?

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#178045 Sep 22, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
So why are you arguing with me?
Because you are wrong.
mtimber wrote:
And here your reasoning is shown to be faulty.
You are lying. Again. It appears to be your single method.
mtimber wrote:
You will deny transcendent truths because you know where they lead.
No such thing-- if you HAD ANY?

YOU WOULD HAVE PRESENTED THEM BEFORE NOW.

You have no such thing as "transcendent truth".

YOU NEVER DID.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#178046 Sep 22, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
You are confusing faith with fact, when did you observe empirically, one kind of creature turning into another?
That is not evolution.... what you just described here?

Is MAGIC.

You know? The sort of shyt that you think your GOD uses.

Silly person.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#178047 Sep 22, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
An empirical one.
Tests prove, to 100% certainty, that prayers do not work.
Observation proves this too:
The infant mortality rate of True Believerô parents is **not** affected by which religion (or no religion) the parents practice.
It **is** affected by which country they are in, however, and which economic bracket they are in.
That?
That is 100% proof that prayers DO NOT work AT ALL.
What parent would **NOT** pray for their infant's health?
WHAT GOD WOULD REFUSE SUCH A PRAYER?
Only one that wasn't there at all...
I have seen with my own eyes miracles as a result of prayer. Not maybe or kinda like a miracle but real live miracles. These miracles are so unimaginable that I canít even share them with you because you would swear I was lying.

I have learned from the past to not share them with Atheist. The miracles didnít happen every week or even every month. One or two a year but after many years the numbers start to add up.

Not miracles of hearsay but I actually witnessed them. I have also learned thereíre millions of people like me that have also witnessed actual miracles. Iím not alone, thereís more than you can count that believe.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#178048 Sep 22, 2013
<quoted text>
I did.
For more than 40 years, in fact.
God never bothered to show up.
Likely he was out fixing sports games-- you know-- the games when the winners "thank Jesus" for winning the game?
Tebowed.....

http://fuckitimgoingdeep.files.wordpress.com/...

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#178049 Sep 22, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I have seen with my own eyes miracles as a result of prayer.
Coincidence. Some sicknesses **do** spontaneously go away-- even for atheists.

Now, had you witnessed a NEW LEG growing back? Then, we could talk "miracle".
Eagle 12 wrote:
Not maybe or kinda like a miracle but real live miracles. These miracles are so unimaginable that I canít even share them with you because you would swear I was lying.
Since I already think that? You avoiding the issue only makes you look much-much worse.
Eagle 12 wrote:
I have learned from the past to not share them with Atheist. The miracles didnít happen every week or even every month. One or two a year but after many years the numbers start to add up.
That is because an atheist is not so gullible as to believe in the poppycock-- and **will** find non-miracle explanations for what you supposedly saw.

And you cannot have **that**, can you?
Eagle 12 wrote:
Not miracles of hearsay but I actually witnessed them. I have also learned thereíre millions of people like me that have also witnessed actual miracles. Iím not alone, thereís more than you can count that believe.
Again? I don't believe you for even 30 seconds-- if you **really** had a Genuine, 100% True, God-Fearing Honest-to-Christ Miracle?

You would be willing to share it.

But, because you **know** it it is NO SUCH THING?

You are unwilling to write it down-- you know we will have alternative explanations, which don't require magic.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#178050 Sep 22, 2013
River Tam wrote:
Oh, my.... his expression in that picture?

Looks **exactly** as if he'd prefer the person he was holding was someone else....

... perhaps of a different gender?

He really did look uncomfortable in that photo, didn't he?
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#178051 Sep 22, 2013
<quoted text>
No... that has been discredited. This "luke" character wasn't the **actual** author of Luke. Rather, that book was written by someone using his name, to increase the credibility.
Sorry.
Your lack of a credible reference is all I need to know.

And I donít see a self proclaimed theologians who are atheist masquerading as biblical experts as being credible. Sorry itís going to take more than a home boy Atheist to win over anyone.

I see this all the time. Atheist claiming they are some sort of biblical authority. When in fact they couldnít get to first base on bible baseball with 6 year olds as their opponents.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#178052 Sep 22, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I have seen with my own eyes miracles as a result of prayer. Not maybe or kinda like a miracle but real live miracles. These miracles are so unimaginable that I canít even share them with you because you would swear I was lying.
Let me ask you this:

Let's say, that miracles **do** happen.

Let's say, that praying for them **works** to make the miracle happen.

WHY WOULD ANY GOD WHO COULD (AND CARED), REFUSE THE PRAYER OF A PARENT FOR THE LIFE OF THE NEWBORN INFANT?

Or one better: an infant CARE-GIVER, like a pediatric NURSE, praying for the life of a dying newborn.

It just doesn't get any more UNSELFISH than that sort of prayer-- the nurse has NOTHING to gain by a positive answer.

Yet?

Newborns die in Religious hospitals EVERY DAY-- IN SPITE of the pleas of the Faithful to this ...

... UNCARING ...

... "god" of yours....!

What?

The?

EFF?
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#178053 Sep 22, 2013
<quoted text>
I have strong memories of sitting in church as a child, listening to the sermons.
There was a flash of insight, though, during one sermon: I was in my early teens, listening to the preacher go on and on about a subject he had no clue of: planetary science.
I have always loved science-- I followed NASA as a child, and avidly watched all the moon stuff on TV.
But that moment? The preacher was flat wrong in his sermon-- he had all the planets' orbits wrong, he was clueless about orbital dynamics.
And I had a flash of insight: this preacher could not **possibly** be a "man of god": HE WAS LYING. FROM THE PULPIT.
There was no excuse, either-- his lies were so blatantly WRONG. Any Junior High science textbook could have set him straight.
And that was likely the FIRST step down the road of no more faith.
What sort of god would allow such BLATANT LIES, from a representative of god?
Hmmm?
You were a lot better listener than me thatís for sure. I was thinking about dinner, lol.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#178054 Sep 22, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't bother-- because all modern Biblical scholarship agrees with me: the author of "Luke" wasn't the same man as the character in the various gospel tales.

Only those who refuse any and all facts say otherwise.

For one thing?

The gospel was written LONG AFTER these people had died.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#178055 Sep 22, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
When in fact they couldnít get to first base on bible baseball with 6 year olds as their opponents.
LOL!

I used to play the Bible Quiz game, back when I was still a True Believerô.

I was quite good-- I once had most of the 4 gospels memorized.

Thankfully, old age has dimmed those horrid memories, so that I can no longer quote chapter/verse like I used to.

In that case? Forgetting is a blessing...

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#178056 Sep 22, 2013
<quoted text>
Oh, my.... his expression in that picture?
Looks **exactly** as if he'd prefer the person he was holding was someone else....
... perhaps of a different gender?
He really did look uncomfortable in that photo, didn't he?
Well, Bob. If he wants to cast her off, I'll be there to catch her. Imagine where my hand would be in that picture and the look on her face.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#178057 Sep 22, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I could have had sworn testimony, with Saint Paul's notarized signature on the velum, and you **STILL** would cling to your myth.

That is why it's called "blind faith"...
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#178058 Sep 22, 2013
I_see_you wrote:
<quoted text>
You are talking to me as if for 27 years I was being a Christian "wrong". I'm sorry, but you are incorrect. Even if effort is made there is no evidence of a god...there is only the thin thread of faith and hope that you are correct that you cling to (as did I).
It does take faith no doubt. There are those that are deep inside the faith and others that linger on the outside.

Honey Bees for example during cold weather gather up close together. Those on the outside freeze and die. Those on the inside live on. Like faith there are those on the outside who grow cold and fall away.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#178059 Sep 22, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
You were a lot better listener than me thatís for sure. I was thinking about dinner, lol.
I tried and tried to listen to those long-ago sermons.

I really did-- I was told, repeatedly, that the pastor was "put there by god, to guide us in our faith".

But, I realized on that most memorable day, that **I** a lowly TEENAGER, new far-far more about space and the planets than this... "god's guide" could ever hope to.

And I had to ask: what sort of god would have allowed such a man, to ***LIE*** like that to everyone there, and GET AWAY with it?

I didn't like the only possible answer-- so I put those thoughts aside for many years.

... it took another 15 years before they re-surfaced in my mind.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#178060 Sep 22, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
G'night Eagle 12.

I've a warm bed, and a mystery novel calling my name.

See you tomorrow-- I've enjoyed sparring with you.

You made me .. think.

A nice change.

:D
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#178061 Sep 22, 2013
<quoted text>
Let me ask you this:
Let's say, that miracles **do** happen.
Let's say, that praying for them **works** to make the miracle happen.
WHY WOULD ANY GOD WHO COULD (AND CARED), REFUSE THE PRAYER OF A PARENT FOR THE LIFE OF THE NEWBORN INFANT?
Or one better: an infant CARE-GIVER, like a pediatric NURSE, praying for the life of a dying newborn.
It just doesn't get any more UNSELFISH than that sort of prayer-- the nurse has NOTHING to gain by a positive answer.
Yet?
Newborns die in Religious hospitals EVERY DAY-- IN SPITE of the pleas of the Faithful to this ...
... UNCARING ...
... "god" of yours....!
What?
The?
EFF?
We shall all die. Everyone that is born is going to die. Itís part of the life process. I have not suffered the loss of a newborn in my personal life nor has anyone near me.

I know it happens and many are saved through modern medical science. If you ever visit some of the old cemeteries that go back into the 1800ís. You will notice a large percentage of baby graves.

I hate it when children die. I hate it even more when children are abused by adults. Mistreated, starved, beaten, hated, locked in cages.

Death is a threshold we shall all enter into, both young and old, great and small.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#178062 Sep 22, 2013
<quoted text>
I tried and tried to listen to those long-ago sermons.
I really did-- I was told, repeatedly, that the pastor was "put there by god, to guide us in our faith".
But, I realized on that most memorable day, that **I** a lowly TEENAGER, new far-far more about space and the planets than this... "god's guide" could ever hope to.
And I had to ask: what sort of god would have allowed such a man, to ***LIE*** like that to everyone there, and GET AWAY with it?
I didn't like the only possible answer-- so I put those thoughts aside for many years.
... it took another 15 years before they re-surfaced in my mind.
There are some bad ministers and some that are exceptional. Itís more than delivering a sermon but being on call 24/7 every day of the year. Itís the phone ringing at 2:00am because someone was in a car wreck.

Counseling families, couples, performing weddings and funerals. Itís visiting the elderly in nursing homes. Being involved in the community. Making daily hospital visits praying and encouraging the sick.

Then thereís the counseling the teenager that ran away. Helping a Mom and Dad to understand itís going to be ok their daughter is pregnant at 17. Itís work, a lot of work. Thereís more work than what one man or woman can do.

Despite all that people expect them to be cheerful, happy, and above all perfect. People can have unreal expectations.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#178063 Sep 22, 2013
<quoted text>
G'night Eagle 12.
I've a warm bed, and a mystery novel calling my name.
See you tomorrow-- I've enjoyed sparring with you.
You made me .. think.
A nice change.
:D
I have too Bob, goodnight.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min John Galt 1,235,963
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 1 hr NinaRocks 5,732
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 2 hr John-K 309,974
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 5 hr tom wingo 29,779
News Former UConn Player Pleads Guilty -- Courant.com (Oct '07) May 29 tom wingo 22
News Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) May 29 Pietro Armando 201,809
How to Recover Deleted or lost Contacts from Sa... May 25 Timotion 7
More from around the web