Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258481 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#177996 Sep 21, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
You make your faulty reason your god, isn't your reasoning your absolute standard of truth in your mind?
More: my reasoning is open-ended.

If you can SHOW ME FACTS, I **must** change my view/opinion.

I must.

FACTS, FIRST.

Opinion second.

How, exactly, is that "faulty"?

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#177997 Sep 21, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
You make your faulty reason your god, isn't your reasoning your absolute standard of truth in your mind?
Unlike YOU?

IF YOU HAD PROOF OF YOUR GOD?

I would cheerfully change my mind about your god.

Seriously--- I would.

You?

YOU DENY ACTUAL REALITY TO CLING TO YOUR DELUSIONS.

And THAT is the difference.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#177998 Sep 21, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
So you recognise the superiority of design over the random intentional actions of a non living rock...?
Show me design. I doubt you even understand what it means.

Your posts clearly indicate you are severely under-educated.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#177999 Sep 21, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you accept or deny the idea if absolute truth?
No such thing.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#178000 Sep 21, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> You don't have to give anything, you have to give up something...brains. You have to be f-in stupid to think it.
Man, are you ever locked into the stupid zone.

You think the fathers of modern science didn't have brains?

As it is, you should try it, because you really have nothing to give up.

Hey, you could even ask for a brain.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#178001 Sep 21, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
You might want to check your science on that, unless you accept equivocation on the word evolve, their is no empirical evidence for evolution.
None whatsoever.
Lie.

There is more evidence--**empirical** evidence for evolution than just about any other scientific principle.

Evolution is **both** fact **and** theory: both.

The **FACT** of evolution is this: after life got started* on earth, it changed from generation to generation over time, and became more and more complex until the present time, with all the complexities we see today.

Fact: all life on earth is related, through DNA (which proves this).

The **theory** of evolution explains the **fact** of evolution, as to the mechanisms involved.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#178002 Sep 21, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I hope not but so often atheism offers nothing but hopelessness.
Since it's just a rejection of stupid shyt like gods? Sure, why not?

This is why most atheists are **also** non-theistic Buddhists, or Secular Humanists, or other philosophies of life.

Atheism is just a starting point, and nothing more.
Eagle 12 wrote:
The majority of the atheist here come across as miserable people.
Interesting. If I based my opinion of THEISTS from Topix?

I would say that **all** theists are hate-filled, bigoted, misogynists, no-education, dirt-poor, ignorant, drunkards, wife-beaters, child-abusers and worse.

But, fortunately, I know theists in other venues than Topix, and they are not that at all.

But Sweeping Generalizations? That is so Jesus of you...!

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#178003 Sep 21, 2013
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> Try praying about it. Either way you will find out eventually. Be patient.
I have. Praying is just talking to yourself.

And that's all it ever is.

“ad victoriam”

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#178004 Sep 21, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Man, are you ever locked into the stupid zone.
You think the fathers of modern science didn't have brains?
As it is, you should try it, because you really have nothing to give up.
Hey, you could even ask for a brain.
Ok now I know what your problem is...you've been asking your sugar daddy for a brain.

Westcliffe, CO

#178005 Sep 21, 2013
I_see_you wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL...now that's funny :) Yes...when I believed in god I did expect that what his word said was true, however I didn't think of him as a sugar daddy, but that was a good example of what most people expect him to be lol.
When you get into the religious stuff you first learn the stories. Then you work things out in your head. You have doubts, etc. Then you see different meanings as you mature and gain more life experience and develop your own personal understanding and relationship. At least in Christianity. This same process works in your profession or line of work. You get the rudiments, then you start gaining experience, then you settle in as a master of it.

What looked simple when you first saw it gets more complex, then you learn to pick through the complexity where you can understand it and really apply your knowledge.

Or you can be an idiot and read books and watch TV for your "learning" for the rest of your life.

Topix atheists tend to this everyone is supposed to pass. Equality of man and uber liberal politics. Social promotion for just existing. They used to, before neo-atheism took hold, believe that God didn't make junk.

That isn't the way things work in nature, or in deityville.

Humans are raw material. A high failure rate in QA.

Do not forget the story goes man was kicked out into the wilderness. He has to struggle and prove his worth on an individual basis. Just like a sunflower seed does.

The material self is a winnowing process to something better.

Or something like that.

Westcliffe, CO

#178006 Sep 21, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok now I know what your problem is...you've been asking your sugar daddy for a brain.
I was issued one at birth. Perhaps yours fell out when they first spanked your bottom.

My "sugar daddy" has given me a lot more bitter stuff than sugar, by an exponential ratio. But that was good. A deeper life experience, and one that won't be holding me back when it comes time to go again.

Sugar is evil in excess.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/10023683...

“ad victoriam”

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#178007 Sep 21, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
I was issued one at birth. Perhaps yours fell out when they first spanked your bottom.
My "sugar daddy" has given me a lot more bitter stuff than sugar, by an exponential ratio. But that was good. A deeper life experience, and one that won't be holding me back when it comes time to go again.
Sugar is evil in excess.
http://www.democraticunderground.com/10023683...
lol You got it deom ya sugar daddy huh?? hahahah

“The King of R&R”

Since: Dec 07

Location hidden

#178008 Sep 21, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
What proof do you have that people do not have souls?
Do you have scientific evidence to support your claim?
You think people have souls based on what you read in the bible. Well, guess who wrote the bible.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#178009 Sep 21, 2013
I_see_you wrote:
<quoted text>
No, but we could probably find him/her somewhere. Actually speak to, hear, see, touch, hell even smell lol
I couldn’t have said it any better.

“Could probably find him/her somewhere.”

What does that require,“to find?” That would require effort and some investigating.

Might even require you to go somewhere and knock on a few doors.

But the architect is not going to be found standing around at the bridge he/she designed just so you could meet them.

“The King of R&R”

Since: Dec 07

Location hidden

#178010 Sep 21, 2013
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> Yup. <quoted text> Do your own research. Regarding disease in the Old most of what is written has to do with prevention. Healthy eating, sexual, sanitation. Disease was the result of leaving God or living ungodly lives which included unhealthy sexual practices, eating the wrong foods and a host of other unhealthy practices. This might help although i doubt you are really looking for answers.
http://home.sprynet.com/~pabco/tw0172_health....
You did not answer my question about bee stings and peanut allergies. If these afflictions are not caused by man, the bible must present a cure. God cares about us, right? So what do we do for a bee sting allergy or peanut allergy, according to your good book?
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#178011 Sep 21, 2013
Redoran wrote:
<quoted text>
You think people have souls based on what you read in the bible. Well, guess who wrote the bible.
After reading your comment, my thought went back to Helen Keller (June 27, 1880 – June 1, 1968). The famous author who went deaf and blind at 1.5 years old.

Helen Keller wrote a letter to a Rev Phillips Brooks. In this letter she says she knew there was a God but didn’t know his name. As a fact she didn’t know the name of anything. She knew, even in the silent darkness there was a God.

If she had been an Atheist and wrote she did not believe in a God and men don’t have souls. Atheist would be all over that. Using her comments to their advantage. But here was a woman shut out of the world with the exception of feeling. And she knew there was a God.

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#178012 Sep 21, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>I couldn’t have said it any better.

“Could probably find him/her somewhere.”

What does that require,“to find?” That would require effort and some investigating.

Might even require you to go somewhere and knock on a few doors.

But the architect is not going to be found standing around at the bridge he/she designed just so you could meet them.
There is no way to do that with a deity that does not reveal themselves in any of those ways when they are sought out.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#178013 Sep 21, 2013
Redoran wrote:
<quoted text>
You did not answer my question about bee stings and peanut allergies. If these afflictions are not caused by man, the bible must present a cure. God cares about us, right? So what do we do for a bee sting allergy or peanut allergy, according to your good book?
In all of Jesus ministry. He never once criticized a medical doctor. Nor did he scorn people for going to see one.

In fact one of the early disciples who worked with the Apostle Paul was a physician. It is believed Luke even treated Paul as a patient. He was described as the “beloved physician,” by Paul.

Dr. Luke went on to write one of the four gospels in the New Testament. The book of Luke.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#178014 Sep 21, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
I have. Praying is just talking to yourself.
And that's all it ever is.
All I can say it has always worked for me. Not just once but lots of times.

I first started praying to God as a little kid in church. We had one of those long winded preachers. I would pray earnestly for God to make him shut up. Almost to the point of begging God, lol….

I had more important things to do like play baseball with the local kids or go bike riding with the gang.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#178015 Sep 21, 2013
I_see_you wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no way to do that with a deity that does not reveal themselves in any of those ways when they are sought out.
Oooooooh yes there is, for sure. But it requires effort and there is the problem.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 21 min Guest 1,497,495
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 3 hr cpeter1313 313,377
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 6 hr Trojan 32,753
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 6 hr Rshermr 10,959
News Western Michigan heads to Illinois as a favorite 15 hr LongPhartz 95
Conn's Appliances (Nov '07) Feb 15 Jhuerta 287
How my search of $450000 dollars became real. Feb 14 Kesby Karen 1
More from around the web